Voyager 1/6-1/15

Hi.  We boarded yesterday and I'll try to do a review,  which is something i haven't done before so please be patient. 

Flew from Nashville through Houston to San Juan Wednesday.  Pilot out of Houston was concerned about weather but arrived only a few minutes late, about 9:15 pm.. The young man sitting next to us suggested Uber would be cheaper than a taxi. XL was about $16 plus tip.  It was a longish walk from baggage to the rideshare pu but not bad.  Stayed at Renaissance Marriott La Concha.  Based on really good recommendations had dinner the next evening at Ropa Vieja grill.  Very good. Across from a CVS and a Walgreens.   Uber XL the next day to the port;fare $32.  At noon long back up getting into the port area and then long lines to drop off luggage.   Despite that no line to checkin.  We had 12 noon, earliest available,  and were onboard by 12:30 and eating in WJ by 12:45.  Cabins were announced ready by 1:05!  1 of our pieces of luggage didn't appear until close to 5 pm.  2nd seating dinner, deck 4 mdr, table of 6 by a window.  In St. Kitts today.  Just walked around as we've been here before. 

As to menu, it's still the old one.  Crew is very helpful. Wifi seems spotty at times in the cabin.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

Hi.  We boarded yesterday and I'll try to do a review,  which is something i haven't done before so please be patient. 

Flew from Nashville through Houston to San Juan Wednesday.  Pilot out of Houston was concerned about weather but arrived only a few minutes late, about 9:15 pm.. The young man sitting next to us suggested Uber would be cheaper than a taxi. XL was about $16 plus tip.  It was a longish walk from baggage to the rideshare pu but not bad.  Stayed at Renaissance Marriott La Concha.  Based on really good recommendations had dinner the next evening at Ropa Vieja grill.  Very good. Across from a CVS and a Walgreens.   Uber XL the next day to the port;fare $32.  At noon long back up getting into the port area and then long lines to drop off luggage.   Despite that no line to checkin.  We had 12 noon, earliest available,  and were onboard by 12:30 and eating in WJ by 12:45.  Cabins were announced ready by 1:05!  1 of our pieces of luggage didn't appear until close to 5 pm.  2nd seating dinner, deck 4 mdr, table of 6 by a window.  In St. Kitts today.  Just walked around as we've been here before. 

As to menu, it's still the old one.  Crew is very helpful. Wifi seems spotty at times in the cabin.

We board On Jan 29 for a B2B. Looking forward to reading your live review!

48 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Speed test? Starlink?

Will try that when I switch devices.  Dh will check about starlink.  He thinks yes but I don't. 

The problem seems to be that I totally lose connection on my tablet when I switch from phone to tablet.  Tablet sometimes shows no connectivity when I'm on the sofa.  It is working now!  

56 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

Also dh and I are getting different readings!

In the cabin where you are the edge of connectivity, even a few feet can make a diff in the speed test. Do it a public space. 

Edited by Biker19

41 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

In the cabin where you are the edge of connectivity, even a few feet can make a diff in the speed test. Do it a public space. 

In the cabin speed seems the same all over.  Spoke to someone who has no wifi and no cabin phone!

Captain just announced we are about to leave St. Kitts.  Yesterday he had to remind passengers to report to muster stations or they would not be allowed to sail.  

This afternoon we had a rain n shower as i was sitting comfortably by the Solarium pool.  Oh well, nothing we could do about it.  Rained every day in San Juan.  

Just a little info about our cabin. We're in 1390. It's an aft cabin with 2 regular chairs and 2 lounges. Also a small tzble by the lounges and a biger, higher by the chairs you can use for eating.  If I recall there is a video fo either this one or for 1690.  Besides being longer than other balconies,  it's even wider than the aft balcony nextv door,  1392.  The cabin is even longer with probably enough space between sofa and bed for a porta crib.  

As for D+ amenities, we get 2 bottles of wine.  Both that came are better than what we ordred.  Plus a bottle of champagne arrived from guest services but don't know why. We also have the nice amenities in the bathroom and both robes were here.  

As for St. Kitts I did notice some stores were closed.  Sea day tomorrow. 

• Like 4

Just to catch up.   Today's a sea day so mdr is open until 10 for breakfast.  Disappointed with mdr breakfast.   Went yesterday and today.  Slow today.  Noticed that the only yogurt listed were the parfaits.  Waiter did me a favor and got me something without topping.  Had to stir it to get to strawberry flavor.  Will look in WJ to see if regular flavored yogurt is available.   Dh ordered the NY  bagel plate.  A little cream cheese on bagel, a little piece of lox and no tomato.   Definitely not what he was expecting.   He sent it back.  Returned with a portion of cream cheese,  slice of tomato and a little bit more lox.  Still disappointing. 

Top tier event this morning.  No new Pinnacles. Everything in English and some in Spanish.  First time both master and staff captain and crew were snaking hands.  Spoke with several.  The sheet with officers listed is definitely gone.  A Miami decision. Suggested that they post info by guest services.  Ice shows this afternoon.  No tix needed.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, renza said:

Please keep it up. What entertainment do they have in the evening?

Don't always go but welcome board show, then production show, which was very good. I think a comedian/jugler. Tonight Daryl J williams, a singer/ songwriter.  I've heard schooner bar performer is good, though haven’t been.  Not impressed by Pavy and her group.  Orchestra is very good. Movies, usually by the pool except when NFL game on, and then moved inside. Does that help?  In Bonaire today. Afternoon shower which seems to have stopped so heading out again.  All aboard at 8:30.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, njkruzer said:

Don't always go but welcome board show, then production show, which was very good. I think a comedian/jugler. Tonight Daryl J williams, a singer/ songwriter.  I've heard schooner bar performer is good, though haven’t been.  Not impressed by Pavy and her group.  Orchestra is very good. Movies, usually by the pool except when NFL game on, and then moved inside. Does that help?  In Bonaire today. Afternoon shower which seems to have stopped so heading out again.  All aboard at 8:30.

Thank you

Hello njkruzer. Hope you are having a fabulous cruise.  Going on Voyager in 2 weeks.  Have a few questions.  Is there a reggae/steel drum band on board? Are there excursions available on board for last day in San Juan for late air plane reservations out of San Juan? How full is the ship? And lastly- was the alcohol store open in the port? What time did you get to the port?Thank you. 

Bonaire is one of my faves.  We did the Woodwind snorkel and it was amazing.  

Got back off the ship about 5 to have an early dinner at Karel’s…I had the Conch Chowder and wife had the Zeezicht soup (fish, mussels, etc.  Both wonderful.

Definitely a full ship.  I have no way of knowing of course but just from casual observation I wouldn’t be surprised if well over half the guests are Spanish speaking.  Lots of families and kids, more than I figured would be on a 9 day cruise. Also, the number of guests wearing masks isn’t insignificant…I’d guess 10% give or take.

3 hours ago, jamin jul said:

Hello njkruzer. Hope you are having a fabulous cruise.  Going on Voyager in 2 weeks.  Have a few questions.  Is there a reggae/steel drum band on board? Are there excursions available on board for last day in San Juan for late air plane reservations out of San Juan? How full is the ship? And lastly- was the alcohol store open in the port? What time did you get to the port?Thank you. 

I don’t think the pool band is a steel drum group but may be wrong.  Will look further.  Do you have the Royal app downloaded?  If not do so.  According to the app under shore excursions there are 2 excursions with airport drop offs.  We have a 2:50 flight and will take a taxi Barrachina's, a restaurant in old San Juan where you can check luggage for free, though we tip them.  We'll wander around for about 3 hours before heading to the airport. 

I don’t think there was liquor sold at the terminal but I didn't look.  Didn’t nee it.  If you're flying in a day a head there are plenty of liquor stores and even saw stuff in CVS and Walgreens!.  The ship is very full with a large number of Spanish speakers.  We had 12 noon checkin.  The road into the port was backed up at 11:45 and luggage drop-off was chaos. But when we went to enter the terminal there was no one ahead of us. Checkin was very quick and we were onboard and in Windjammer by 12:30.

Performer tonight was Darryl J Williams,  a grammy nominated singer and arranger.  Very good. 

• Like 1

On 1/8/2023 at 11:43 AM, njkruzer said:

Just to catch up.   Today's a sea day so mdr is open until 10 for breakfast.  Disappointed with mdr breakfast.   Went yesterday and today.  Slow today.  Noticed that the only yogurt listed were the parfaits.  Waiter did me a favor and got me something without topping.  Had to stir it to get to strawberry flavor.  Will look in WJ to see if regular flavored yogurt is available.   Dh ordered the NY  bagel plate.  A little cream cheese on bagel, a little piece of lox and no tomato.   Definitely not what he was expecting.   He sent it back.  Returned with a portion of cream cheese,  slice of tomato and a little bit more lox.  Still disappointing. 

Top tier event this morning.  No new Pinnacles. Everything in English and some in Spanish.  First time both master and staff captain and crew were snaking hands.  Spoke with several.  The sheet with officers listed is definitely gone.  A Miami decision. Suggested that they post info by guest services.  Ice shows this afternoon.  No tix needed.

Seems to usually be a low turnout for upper tier C&A on the PR cruises.   We were on B2B2B sister ship EX last year.  Each week only a dozen or less Pinnies on board.  

Enjoying your review, we will be doing another B2B2B...now on Voyager...starting 1/29.  🙂  

18 hours ago, njkruzer said:

We just arrived Bonaire a couple of hours ago on Jewel.  Huge X ship next to us at usual dock...we are at ferry dock. 

33 minutes ago, island lady said:

Seems to usually be a low turnout for upper tier C&A on the PR cruises.   We were on B2B2B sister ship EX last year.  Each week only a dozen or less Pinnies on board.  

Enjoying your review, we will be doing another B2B2B...now on Voyager...starting 1/29.  🙂  

Bonaire yesterday,  Aruba today.  Dining room service, especially at breakfast has been slow and food isn't hot.  Definitely a staff shortage.  As to the number of upper tier C&A, at least several hundred, didn't write down the number, but most avoid Diamond lounge as it's quite small.  Concierge, Gabriel, is very nice as are bar waiters. The show last night was good.  10 pm show was sparsely attended.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, njkruzer said:

Bonaire yesterday,  Aruba today.  Dining room service, especially at breakfast has been slow and food isn't hot.  Definitely a staff shortage.  As to the number of upper tier C&A, at least several hundred, didn't write down the number, but most avoid Diamond lounge as it's quite small.  Concierge, Gabriel, is very nice as are bar waiters. The show last night was good.  10 pm show was sparsely attended.  

Ahh...we switched!  We were Aruba yesterday, and Bonaire today.  Did not get the rain you did (so far) but very warm and humid today.  

Yes, we avoid the DL for that reason...preferring to use our vouchers at various bars...VCL bar being our favorite.  

Enjoy the rest of your cruise, and thanks for the review.  🙂