Transpacific relocation cruise

My extended family are considering a relocation cruise on Prinecss cruises Royal Princess from Honolulu to Sydney. I would love to join them , but get horridly motion sick , I can usually manage with medication, but if the swell is over 4m, I spend the day in bed with a woozy head

I have done 3 south pacific cruises and new Zealand, and on each cruise had one off day

Can anyone who has done this crossing tell me what the sea conditions are usually like,  as there are many sea days , and I would like to know if I'm going to end up sea sick

Thanks maree

47 minutes ago, rabbit1971 said:

My extended family are considering a relocation cruise on Prinecss cruises Royal Princess from Honolulu to Sydney. I would love to join them , but get horridly motion sick , I can usually manage with medication, but if the swell is over 4m, I spend the day in bed with a woozy head

I have done 3 south pacific cruises and new Zealand, and on each cruise had one off day

Can anyone who has done this crossing tell me what the sea conditions are usually like,  as there are many sea days , and I would like to know if I'm going to end up sea sick

Thanks maree

Could you include dates of travel to save people looking them up, as time of year will be a factor.

regards

1 hour ago, Ozwoody said:

Could you include dates of travel to save people looking them up, as time of year will be a factor.

regards

In October Hawaii has good surfing conditions so as you get near it my be a little rough

1 hour ago, rabbit1971 said:

The relocation cruise we are interested in runs late September or early October 

That is a good time of year for a trans Pacific cruise.  Wet season is November to April (Tahiti). Hurricane season in Hawaii is June to November.

It's irrelevant what the conditions were when someone else did that cruise, and impossible to predict what they will be when you do your cruise. Yes, it might be a time of year when conditions are generally good but weather is unpredictable. No-one can say for sure that you will not encounter seas 4 metres or higher. 

• Like 5

No worse than NZ. I've had more rough seas on NZ cruises. Last one was horrendous (last month). Some Hawaii ones go via NZ. We had calm seas.  It's unpredictable. No one can tell you what it's going to be like. . 

Maree was not asking for a long range weather prediction😂

Just a general idea of what it generally could be.

Reason for date of cruise is:

If October relocation, generally would not expect lots of rough weather, there could be but generally expect milder seas. 

However if November could be unlucky and encounter an early cyclone.

As its a relocation cruise from Hawaii I would imagine it would be around then, but could be wrong hence asking what was the date.

Those with more expertise than me in pacific weather would then be able to maybe give her better general idea, of what she could expect.🤞

Edited by Ozwoody

Thank you all.

I was after a general indication as to how people found the trip.

My other question is the entertainment on board with princess. My 19yo gets bored easily, he loves his trivia, are there plenty of activities during sea days to keep you involved ( for us that would be trivia)

Cheers maree

23 minutes ago, rabbit1971 said:

Thank you all.

My other question is the entertainment on board with princess. My 19yo gets bored easily, he loves his trivia, are there plenty of activities during sea days to keep you involved ( for us that would be trivia)

Cheers maree

I am not much of a fan of their shows and some of the activities, but there is plenty of trivia.

1 hour ago, rabbit1971 said:

Thank you all.

Cheers maree

I think that it is reasonable to say that relocation cruises are not known for the quality of their entertainment or their shore stops. Their purpose is to get from Point A to Point B as quickly and beneficially as possible for the cruiseline. They are usually well valued pricewise and are more suitable for experienced cruisers who love to relax onboard on the long sea days. 

• Like 1

We did the transpacific from Honolulu via Tahiti and Fiji (no NZ stop on way back) with Carnival at that time of year a few years ago. Had very calm seas and great weather all the way. One of our favourite cruises.

We just went on a 7 night cruise on the Grand Princess with a 17 and 20 year old. There was plenty of trivia, on at least twice a day, but some of it was themed music trivia etc. That and all the other entertainment was definitely aimed at an older crowd. We watched a lot of karaoke as it was the most entertaining option! My kids went to the gym and had meals and watched the karaoke with us but other than that on sea days they spent a lot of time watching the on demand movies in the cabin (excellent selection) so they weren't bored but you wouldn't say they were involved. I just went with it as it was only a week cruise and was a good end of year relax for everyone but was glad it was only a 7 night cruise. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, rabbit1971 said:

are there plenty of activities during sea days to keep you involved ( for us that would be trivia)

We have done plenty of relocation trips with Princess as we love sea days and we can also get a small land based holiday in.

We are booked on the Royal from Honolulu this October and from past experience are expecting lots of trivia at least two normal ones during the day  (morning and afternoon) with also a progressive team trivia in the early afternoon on sea days.

At night time there should be on most evenings a themed trivia such as a music or where in the world (is this found) with photos.

Therefore could be up to four trivia sessions on sea days.

Princess have a large cruise directors staff and does tend to run a few extra activities during the day, such as ring and bean bag tosses, golf chipping in the pool, who am I?, Pictionary, carpet bowls and various other contests sometimes with small prizes or a cheap bottles of wine if you're over 18.

If you like to get involved in things your main complaint will be you can't fit everything in. 😀

• Like 1

On 1/17/2023 at 1:10 PM, rabbit1971 said:

Thanks everyone for your input.

sounds like my 19yo trivia bug will be kept happy

Does this cruise coincide with school holidays? We're looking at doing it from Vancouver to Hawaii and then NZ/Oz . I'd assumed it would be almost all older adults as its a long cruise 23 days - and I assumed out of school holidays - have I got that wrong? 

Edited by lissie