Bringing snacks

4 hours ago, Wombat706 said:

Sorry, I haven't flown back to Australia since before Covid.

But from memory, the initial 'declare' line moves pretty fast as it is just an officer/s asking 'what you are declaring' and they decide to either send you through the green channel and you just walk out or they send you for further inspection. Hopefully, someone else can clarify the current process.

Exactly. This is my experience. You tick that you have foodstuffs; they ask you what you've got and you tell them and they wave you through to the green lane and walk straight out.

If you don't say that you have food when you have, you may be pulled over randomly and have your case checked. The only time I've flown from mainland USA all my cases were checked but that's years ago.

11 hours ago, AZjohn said:

I'm sorry but maybe I missed something on the thread.

Are you saying gum is a food item in the Australia declaration document?

I understand the basic concept of "if you can eat it, declare it" but I honestly would not know what line item to mark yes on the declaration form for gum (I chew Nicorette gum for too long now but that is a different story). Would I mark line item 6, 7, or 8 for that gum?

Thank you,

John

Assume your post is facetious. Nicorette is clearly medication. Not sure what approach the ABF take towards chewing gum these days. If in doubt, declare. I don't carry chewing gum myself so not something I've had to think about since that day years ago as described.

I travel with protein powder so I tick item 6. I prefer to be pedantic about the information I offer them as Australia and New Zealand are very fussy about the risk of importation of diseases and pests (with good reason). If you've got food, tick a food box then explain to the customs officer what you have, specifically.

The best source of authoritative information for all of these queries is the official government websites.

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I agree with you. I do not consider gum a food item. It is not consumed. Following this suggestion, then all vitamin supplements would also be considered food. They are actually consumed whereas gum isn't. There is no way gum can be food.

Just reporting on a real interaction that happened to me, as described. Customs officer was *very firm* in her telling me off about not declaring the chewing gum in sealed packets she found in my suit case. Three small packets.

This is why I tell them about every little thing I'm carrying now, as I don't want a repeat of that experience.

2 hours ago, chubbypiggy said:

Sorry for asking so many questions, just want to make sure what I need to do so not to have problem through Custom or have all my luggage thorough inspected and all messed up.

1. The form in post#48 (Aussieflyer) I need to download it from some website or it will be given to me on the plane?

2.  If I marked "yes" to any of the questions, I need to go to the "declare" line?

3.  All the items I declared "yes", I need to take it out and put it in my carryon before getting to Custom?

I usually bring many different kind of OTC medicine (since I have a 27 days cruise).

4. If I have some OTC medicines (for allergy, upset stomach, headache, joint paint, etc.) and 2 prescription medicine , do I check "yes" on item #1?

5. If I bring one bag of ginger candy (each candy individual wrapped) and 1 bag of pre-mixed coffee (each small package individual packaged), do I check item #7?

Thank you!!

3. I wouldn't bother putting everything in your carry-on that you are declaring although others have said you should. Mostly they won't ask to see the items.

4. I wouldn't worry about the OTC medications unless they're something that is restricted here. I carry photocopies of my prescription medications these days when I travel, just to cover any requirement of proof. Check the relevant countries' websites for which medications are restricted.

Just to be clear, item 1 on the form does include prescription or OTC medicines as it may be subject to restrictions. Australia and New Zealand allow for passengers carrying up to three months' supply of medicines for their own use. Since travelling to Japan where their restrictions are more strict than ours, I always check now to see if any of my medications are on a restricted list and require a letter from my doctor or any other justification. It's up to you whether you would declare 28 days' supply of a couple of run of the mill meds. 

Edited by LittleFish1976

22 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

3. I wouldn't bother putting everything in your carry-on that you are declaring although others have said you should. Mostly they won't ask to see the items.

4. I wouldn't worry about the OTC medications unless they're something that is restricted here. I carry photocopies of my prescription medications these days when I travel, just to cover any requirement of proof. Check the relevant countries' websites for which medications are restricted.

Just to be clear, item 1 on the form does include prescription or OTC medicines as it may be subject to restrictions. Australia and New Zealand allow for passengers carrying up to three months' supply of medicines for their own use. Since travelling to Japan where their restrictions are more strict than ours, I always check now to see if any of my medications are on a restricted list and require a letter from my doctor or any other justification. It's up to you whether you would declare 28 days' supply of a couple of run of the mill meds. 

Thank you.

32 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

I travel with protein powder so I tick item 6.

There was an episode of the NZ Border Security where an unknown powder in a plastic container was causing the officer concern and the German? backpackers were having trouble explaining what it was.  Finally, it turned out to be protein powder but because it was in a generic storage container  (not the original packaging) it was confiscated and the backpackers given a stern talking to and an official warning (I don't remember if they were fined or not). 

24 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

I actually changed my strong (very) painkillers before going to Abu Dhabi as they were restricted there and I would have had to apply through their medical board and all sorts of dramas to bring even the small amount I had.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Wombat706 said:

I actually changed my strong (very) painkillers before going to Abu Dhabi as they were restricted there and I would have had to apply through their medical board and all sorts of dramas to bring even the small amount I had.

Exactly the sort of situation I was referring to, Wombat!

4 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Assume your post is facetious. Nicorette is clearly medication. Not sure what approach the ABF take towards chewing gum these days. If in doubt, declare. I don't carry chewing gum myself so not something I've had to think about since that day years ago as described.

Not being facetious at all?

Trying my best to do all the right things and someone mentioned gum.

Yes, I guess my gum could be considered OTC medication now that I think about it.

My wife chews just regular gum so looks like this whole thread is making me make more out of it than it should be.

We no longer drink, drug, smoke, and won’t be bringing any food so I’m just not going to worry about any of that stuff.

We are getting older now and with that have a lot of medication we need to bring. We will keep it all in original bottles with labels and have a nice long list from medical center of all our prescriptions and will make a nice list myself of the various OTC medications we will have and mark yes to line item #1 and go where we are told.

Thanks and Cheers

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Aussieflyer said:

From memory last time I disembarked in NZ, there were quite a few passengers lined up after having been sniffed out by the quarantine dogs - and I saw many had food stuffs they were trying to bring off the ship. 

Too tight to buy a pie at the airport lol. I recollect in Southampton dozens of Brits making bacon and sausage sarneys in the buffet to eat on the bus on their journeys home to various parts of UK. They cleaned out the buffet. No quarantine dogs at Southampton just a couple of drug dogs.lamb-and-roast-vegetable.png.8021396209cb12713c98404496a44058.png

Edited by NSWP
  • Haha 3

On 1/11/2023 at 11:03 PM, AZjohn said:

I'm sorry but maybe I missed something on the thread.

Are you saying gum is a food item in the Australia declaration document?

I understand the basic concept of "if you can eat it, declare it" but I honestly would not know what line item to mark yes on the declaration form for gum (I chew Nicorette gum for too long now but that is a different story). Would I mark line item 6, 7, or 8 for that gum?

Thank you,

John

You might need to declare Nicorette gum in Singapore, but not here.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NSWP said:

Too tight to buy a pie at the airport lol. I recollect in Southampton dozens of Brits making bacon and sausage sarneys in the buffet to eat on the bus on their journeys home to various parts of UK. They cleaned out the buffet. No quarantine dogs at Southampton just a couple of drug dogs.lamb-and-roast-vegetable.png.8021396209cb12713c98404496a44058.png

I like the look of that one Uncle Les.

• Like 2

Why are people saying declare everything you put in your mouth? 

Sure years ago the form said do you have any food. 

But now it specifically asks if you have certain foods. NOT all food. 

Declare if you have the foods listed. NOT every food item. Otherwise you are just creating long queues while they ask you what you have. Many people carry lozenges, gum. Imagine if EVERYONE put that they had food because of that. It would be chaos. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, sayaguru said:

Declare if you have the foods listed. NOT every food item. Otherwise you are just creating long queues while they ask you what you have. Many people carry lozenges, gum. Imagine if EVERYONE put that they had food because of that. It would be chaos. 

I don't think you necessarily are creating long lines. From memory (and I last went through customs a few weeks ago) the first customs officer you meet you have to have a chat with anyway. I'm sure I was asked then about what I had - 5 seconds max. to describe what I had. Gave me a certain card to hand over at the next stop; waved through at next stop. No cases opened.

What is slow is the hand luggage checks these days. Last year I was x-rayed, personally and patted down, going through the hand luggage check and had my carry-on run several times through the x-ray machine. Don't know what they thought they could see, or couldn't see, in there but that is a massive line in my very recent experience. Very slow and frustrating.

Anyway, here's the horse's mouth for people's reference. It's a fine line...

https://www.abf.gov.au/entering-and-leaving-australia/can-you-bring-it-in/categories/food

2 hours ago, sayaguru said:

While what you say is true, only declare if you have something in the list, but some people may think what they have are lollies or such, while actually being a food substance on the list. That doesn't mean it is prohibited  but it does mean it needs to be declared and possibly checked.

Chocolate coated nuts?

49191000_Screenshot2023-01-10at3_30_06pm.thumb.png.dc64c2d2af190ff7af5d95aef82e3fbd.png

On 1/11/2023 at 4:08 PM, LittleFish1976 said:

A little confused, should I declare OTC calcium and vitamin D supplements and check of item 1 box? 

Would they be "subject to restrictions"?  Thanks!

8 minutes ago, TeamCan said:

A little confused, should I declare OTC calcium and vitamin D supplements and check of item 1 box? 

Would they be "subject to restrictions"?  Thanks!

This is the link that I posted above, again (see it at the end of this post). Open it and go to the section on the list which says 'Vitamins, supplements and therapeutics for human use'. It has a nice green tick beside it but also says 'declare'. So whilst they are allowed (three months' supply for the pereson carrying it into the country etc) they do ask that you declare it.

I would use these links as your bible for what to declare. They come from the Australian Border Force - government agency that handles these matters.

https://www.abf.gov.au/entering-and-leaving-australia/can-you-bring-it-in/categories/food#

45 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

This is the link that I posted above, again (see it at the end of this post). Open it and go to the section on the list which says 'Vitamins, supplements and therapeutics for human use'. It has a nice green tick beside it but also says 'declare'. So whilst they are allowed (three months' supply for the pereson carrying it into the country etc) they do ask that you declare it.

I would use these links as your bible for what to declare. They come from the Australian Border Force - government agency that handles these matters.

https://www.abf.gov.au/entering-and-leaving-australia/can-you-bring-it-in/categories/food#

Thank you for the link. I guess I can't put the vitamins into a smaller vial for travel from my bulk calcium vitamin bottle as the bottle has to be commercially labelled and packaged. I usually combine the calcium and vitamin D in one smaller bottle for travel and it has never been a problem.  Just to be safe, I won't bring them this trip.

1 hour ago, TeamCan said:

Thank you for the link. I guess I can't put the vitamins into a smaller vial for travel from my bulk calcium vitamin bottle as the bottle has to be commercially labelled and packaged. I usually combine the calcium and vitamin D in one smaller bottle for travel and it has never been a problem.  Just to be safe, I won't bring them this trip.

I understand the problem - I do the same thing myself. What I sometimes do is use one small lightweight vitamin bottle and add some other vitamins to it. So technically they're not all the same as what's on the label but it's not illegal as such and allows you to bring some you might have otherwise left behind.

4 hours ago, TeamCan said:

You should be out and about in the sun often enough each day (20 minutes) not to need your vitamin D.  I still like to take calcium daily, so will pay more and buy a small bottle for travel.  Remember you can refill it.

1 hour ago, Port Power said:

You should be out and about in the sun often enough each day (20 minutes) not to need your vitamin D.  I still like to take calcium daily, so will pay more and buy a small bottle for travel.  Remember you can refill it.

Unfortunately you can spend 12 hrs a day in the sun and still have Vit D deficiency, that are numerous health problems that can cause this.

• Like 1