MoveUp is it a good move?

NMTraveller

I booked an interior room and bid $235 per person to get moved up to AquaClass for a seven day cruise. My upgrade wasn't too the greatest room, but I did a fake booking to see what other AquaClass rooms were available and had them switch me to one of those rooms. Works nicely if done correctly.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

For those of you that have used MoveUp and been upgraded was it a good move for you?  Do you get moved to the lowest slots in the new category?

How does this work out?

If you use MoveUp you need to be happy with whatever cabin is assigned.  You get moved to whatever cabin is available in the new category.  If often is from a cancelation and thus could be anything.  If you are in an inside or OV cabin it can be great.  Same to a suite.If you are picky about cabin location or happy with the cabin you booked then it is not for you.

Since most MoveUps are within three days of your sailing hard to change cabins in that situation 

Edited by Arizona Wildcat
  • Like 1

You never know. I moved from an inside guarantee to a hump veranda on deck 8. I bid $5 over the minimum. There were lots of veranda cabins left on my sailing. Your chances are probably better if the ship has a lot of availability close to the sailing date. I don’t usually bother bidding if the ship seems pretty full. 

• Like 1

Is it worth spending more money than you originally intended to?   If you were happy with the category you booked why pay more to change?  

We have a SS booked .   We received a email informing us that move ups were available.   It looks like a bargain to bid on the PH compared to the other categories.    Even if I got it for the minimum offer of $2000 pp it is way more than I want to spend and don’t see the added value.  It is for a 7 day cruise.   Our SS was $4700 total.   It would almost double the cost of the cruise.

the min is move up to a CS is $1500 pp and AQ suite $400 pp.

Only you can decide and evaluate if it is worth it to you

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

167A86CF-1FEE-4DE0-99F4-F4C370F7E2E7.jpeg

Edited by miched
  • Like 2

I’ve done it twice and it has worked out very well. Just went from concierge room which we had already got a good price on to Sky Suite and yes it was the lowest in that category. 

I also did it in August and went from an inside cabin to balcony. 

Very pleased with the results. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, miched said:

Is it worth spending more money than you originally intended to?   If you were happy with the category you booked why pay more to change?  

We have a SS booked .   We received a email informing us that move ups were available.   It looks like a bargain to bid on the PH compared to the other categories.    Even if I got it for the minimum offer of $2000 pp it is way more than I want to spend and don’t see the added value.  It is for a 7 day cruise.   Our SS was $4700 total.   It would almost double the cost of the cruise.

Many people would say they don't see the added value for the Sky Suite, and that it more than doubles the cost of the cruise. If you see the value in the sky suite, why wouldn't other see the value in the upper suites?

To each their own. For our last cruise, I booked a Sky Suite for $4k. I would have loved to have booked a Royal Suite, but at over $12k, I couldn't justify it. I called my TA about upgrading twice (before and after final payment), and was quoted $7k to upgrade each time. When Move Up came around, I bid $3k and got it! It was probably a once in a lifetime experience as generally the upper suites sell out. I thought it was worth the extra. 

It was my first ever Move Up bid. Generally, we travel in multiple cabins with our kids. It was just hubby and me for the first time since 2015, and it was his birthday, so I splurged booking the sky suite, then again on the Move Up. Our next cruise in April is in an inside. 🙂 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

For those of you that have used MoveUp and been upgraded was it a good move for you?  Do you get moved to the lowest slots in the new category?

How does this work out?

You get whichever stateroom of the category is available. It can be but does not have to be the lowest slot. After all, they won´t move other bookings around.

However, most of the time there´s a reason why the stateroom is available. Yes, it could be a good location and somebody cancelled or other people moved up. But it can also simply be a less desired location and the stateroom didn´t sell.

So bid whatever you feel is worth for a stateroom that will be a quarantee stateroom. You´ll have to live with the location. Once accepted there´s no way back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lillibet16 said:

I’ve done it twice and it has worked out very well. Just went from concierge room which we had already got a good price on to Sky Suite and yes it was the lowest in that category. 

I also did it in August and went from an inside cabin to balcony. 

Very pleased with the results. 

I've never bothered with move up bids. Prefer to wait until after final payment to see whats available then make the change. Sometimes for a nominal amount and other times the price is the same.  

We sail soon on Edge in a SS. We have had two offers from X to upgrade since final payment, the most recent offer was slightly higher than the original offer (the second offer was about 7 weeks to sailing).

What I found interesting is that the upgrade path to a Royal Suite, was LESS than the path to a Celebrity Suite! (I will try to add the screen shot here... but my computer skills are slightly less than my cooking skills - I'm sure my DW will agree)! 😇. The price to upgrade from SS to RS was $2020 PP CDN vs $2695 PP CDN to upgrade to CS. 

Screen Shot 2022-11-09 at 4.12.56 PM.png

Edited by RealBatman
  • Thanks 1

I've been moved up a number of times.   You are upgraded to whatever is open but I suggest set your mind to getting the worst room in the category and be elated if you get a good one.   

A couple times I've received accessible Sky Suites which aren't my favorite but was happy to get a Suite on a long sold out cruise.