longer trips (over 14 days) - laundry

VermeulT

Can anyone give me a rough guess on laundry prices for a 28 day cruise (I'll be doing Alaska Jun 2024)?

And if you have the info also - Thermo Suite pass?

Trying to get an idea on overall trip cost and my budget.

• Like 1

You can send a (very) full bag of laundry for either $20 or $30 per bag, depending on location of the cruise, or a couple of other factors. I have seen both prices quoted lately. 
Or, you can purchase an unlimited laundry package for either $7 or $9 per day times every day of the cruise. Again, I have seen both prices quoted lately. 

You can stuff a lot in a bag, so can go several days before sending one out on the per bag rate.
On the other hand, if you will be sailing in a hot/humid climate, it's nice to come in, shower, and leave just the clothes from that day to go at evening turn down service on the unlimited plan. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, VermeulT said:

Can anyone give me a rough guess on laundry prices for a 28 day cruise (I'll be doing Alaska Jun 2024)? 

For AK it should be $7/day levied every day even though you can't turn it laundry the last two days. Or $20 a bag and it is a good big CLOTH bag, very stuff able. Here's the thing: you can probably pre-book for the $7/day price but not the bag-price. I think the possibility of cost going up in 1.5 years is high... 

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, RuthC said:

You can send a (very) full bag of laundry for either $20 or $30 per bag, depending on location of the cruise, or a couple of other factors. I have seen both prices quoted lately. 
Or, you can purchase an unlimited laundry package for either $7 or $9 per day times every day of the cruise. Again, I have seen both prices quoted lately. 

You can stuff a lot in a bag, so can go several days before sending one out on the per bag rate.
On the other hand, if you will be sailing in a hot/humid climate, it's nice to come in, shower, and leave just the clothes from that day to go at evening turn down service on the unlimited plan. 

Thanks for the tip about unlimited. We'll be sailing 27 days in SE Asia so unlimited would mean taking less clothes and always having them clean Our quote works out to $7. per day - something to consider.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Queen of DaNile said:

unlimited would mean taking less clothes and always having them clean Our quote works out to $7. per day - something to consider.

Remember that it's $7/day per cabin which can make it worthwhile financially looked at in the broad range. 

@crystalspin prices for my last Alaska cruise on Nieuw Amsterdam in September 2022 were actually $30/bag.  In Caribbean later on Rotterdam it was $20/bag, so it does vary.  Either way, it's still a good deal, I think.  If I had two or more in the cabin, I would seriously consider the unlimited on a hot weather cruise.

~Nancy

One thing you may want to think about - I'm not sure how cold it gets in Alaska but we are cruising Greenland and Iceland this July and the temps are cool enough to justify quite a lot of our merino clothing. The issue is that merino can't go through the dryer - and I'm not sure that you can rely on a laundry service to return some clothing wet (we know from previous cruises ours will easily dry overnight hung up in the cabin because of the air con) . 

10 hours ago, Queen of DaNile said:

Thanks for the tip about unlimited. We'll be sailing 27 days in SE Asia so unlimited would mean taking less clothes and always having them clean Our quote works out to $7. per day - something to consider.

That was the idea - pack less.

9 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Remember that it's $7/day per cabin which can make it worthwhile financially looked at in the broad range. 

Even better!

6 hours ago, aussiedisneyfan said:

We are on the 28 day alaska and you can already order the unlimited laundry.  It is $196 so $7 per day. 🙂

Thanks!  As soon as I confirm my hold - I'll call and add it to lock in the price.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Queen of DaNile said:

It is such a pleasure to pack less, and Holland does an excellent job with laundry.   We recommend it highly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, lissie said:

The issue is that merino can't go through the dryer - and I'm not sure that you can rely on a laundry service to return some clothing wet (we know from previous cruises ours will easily dry overnight hung up in the cabin because of the air con) . 

I was of this opinion about air-dry instruction and was informed by someone who had done a behind the scenes tour that they air dry clothes on request, in a room with circulating air! Returning it dry, about a day later! 

I haven't had a chance to test it yet... 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, oakridger said:

@crystalspin prices for my last Alaska cruise on Nieuw Amsterdam in September 2022 were actually $30/bag.  In Caribbean later on Rotterdam it was $20/bag, so it does vary.  Either way, it's still a good deal, I think...

~Nancy

I've gathered it is varying, seemingly without reason! It used to be easy to remember if not understand - either end of your cruise in Europe = the higher prices. 

I was only reporting on K'dam and Mexican Riviera thinking it might hold true for similar itineraries! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, I like vacation said:

We just boarded the Oosterdam for 22 day S/A and Antarctica.  I purchased the unlimited laundry for $7 day in advance.  The form in the cabin shows $9 day if you wait until you board

Do you have a price for a bag? We are only a similar length cruise so I'm doing the maths 

3 hours ago, crystalspin said:

I was of this opinion about air-dry instruction and was informed by someone who had done a behind the scenes tour that they air dry clothes on request, in a room with circulating air! Returning it dry, about a day later! 

I haven't had a chance to test it yet... 

Oh that would be great if they do... 

• Like 1

I will have the unlimited laundry package on my 35-day sailing.  Will that include having items pressed after taking them from our luggage?  If not, any suggestions?  We are thinking of packing our bags using the vacuum packing bags, so an initial pressing will likely be needed, but I won't need it for the whole voyage.

7 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I will have the unlimited laundry package on my 35-day sailing.  Will that include having items pressed after taking them from our luggage?  If not, any suggestions? 

Items sent to be washed are pressed, but pressing only is a separate charge.
You can send the items and pay per item for pressing, or purchase a package. Seems like you don't need the package. 

My other suggestions are to hang your items in a steamy bathroom, such as after a shower, and let the wrinkles hang out. Another thing would be to hang them, and spray with Downy Wrinkle Release. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, FlaMariner said:

I've never experienced different prices for different cruise lengths....It's always been a price per bag and a price per cabin/day. 

That's unfortunate. At $9/day and 73 days, it's cheaper to buy a large suitcase (any brand) at Ross Dress 4 less, and fill it with new undershirts, underwear, socks (any non-luxury brand), and then just toss it all before the end of the cruise.

$30/bag laundry... Even that's high. For $30/bag, I'll wash and fold any of y'alls clothes on sea days for any of y'alls clothes to earn extra spending money. But, I'm also weird, and I like to wash clothes. If it were economically feasible and note wasteful, I'd wash my clothes everyday.

• Like 1