Does the MDR still have a dress code?

NMTraveller

32 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Same here in North Texas. We had two days in the 80's.

I'm originally from North Texas. All our family still lives there. Maybe that's why we live in Florida now...🤣

27 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

I respectfully ask that you both kindly be quiet about your weather.  🙂  I am in the south as well, but it is the south of New England and it is 27 degrees and been raining for 3 days, I'm trying to remember what sunshine looks like!  OK, you can go back to resuming your enjoyment of the real south's weather..

It's supposed to get down to 39F here in south Florida tonight. Our weather forecast is being predicted by the likelihood of falling iguanas. 🦎 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

I'm originally from North Texas. All our family still lives there. Maybe that's why we live in Florida now...🤣

It's supposed to get down to 39F here in south Florida tonight. Our weather forecast is being predicted by the likelihood of falling iguanas. 🦎 

I was in Naples for Xmas and of course, whenever I travel to what is supposed to be warmer weather in the winter, my New England weather follows me right along (does not want me to be homesick apparently) and it was 41 on Xmas morning and low 50's most of the week.  Though of course the day I was flying home it was 74.

49 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Wait a minute I resemble that old fart comment, LOL 

BTW I wore shorts most of this past week with temps in the high 70's and 80's here in South TX.

LOL- So YOU are the  guy with the beautiful 32 year old that I referred to ( jealous of ) sooo many times on CC ?

Hope the pre-loved Rolex you bought her was worth it ?? 

BTW - I also wore shorts most of last week — indoors!! Too friggin cold, too much snow up here.

19 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

LOL- So YOU are the  guy with the beautiful 32 year old that I referred to ( jealous of ) sooo many times on CC ?

Hope the pre-loved Rolex you bought her was worth it ?? 

BTW - I also wore shorts most of last week — indoors!! Too friggin cold, too much snow up here.

Cold spell today only in the 60's, lol

On 1/12/2023 at 10:08 AM, cruisemom42 said:

For starters, some of us dine with other people "across the table" that we don't know.  As a party of one, I often arrive at the MDR and ask to share. I have no way of knowing who that person across the table will be.

Also, I think most would agree that something appealing to the eyes is a good thing. Have you heard the expression "We dine first with our eyes"?  Isn't a beautifully plated and presented meal served on fine china more appealing than a sloppy pile of food on a paper plate? 

Yet somehow we are not allowed to apply this to the appearance of others without being called some kind of snob or crotchety old person that's out of touch.

I'm not afraid to "own" that seeing men's hairy legs and toes kind of grosses me out. If that makes me odd, then so be it. I also don't need to see your armpit hair or any nose tufts.

But truthfully my bigger issue is why everyone has to push the envelope. Graciously acceding to the wishes and policies of others is basically what "good manners" is all about, and "good manners" is what allows 3,000 people to coexist on a (relatively) small space like a cruise ship. Don't be a chair hog = good manners.  Don't break into the queue = good manners. Following the guidelines set by the ship is a way to ensure we all know what to expect and what is expected of us.

"Graciously acceding to the wishes and policies of others is basically what "good manners" is all about, and "good manners" is what allows 3,000 people to coexist on a (relatively) small space like a cruise ship."

Take the word 'policies" out and this could apply to either side of this argument.   Agree or not, it is the "policy" that makes the difference.  

BTW -- As attractive as they might be, I have no intention of shaving my legs!  😄

• Haha 1

On 1/12/2023 at 7:16 PM, Keys Kathy said:

I agree! We were on a Princess Ship in Brazil and these "ladies" showed up showing their Huchi Kuchi's.... on Formal night. The Matre D said "There are Brazilian." Yes, I was uncomfortable with DH looking at all that skin. It certainly put a pall on my dinner which the waiter really tried to make up. 

FYI, I have not booked Princess again

This is exactly to the point. Follow the rules.

I really don't think your issue had anything to do with Princess specifically.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, shellunderwater said:

I really don't think your issue had anything to do with Princess specifically.

You're right. It was cultural. Had it been at the buffet or a casual restaurant, it would have been fine. It was just such a shock. Your in a quiet dining room where everyone is covered from shoulder to toe in the formal wear and then you have a party of 5 scantily clad, very loud people seated near you.

You could tell the staff was uncomfortable too. It was one of those trips where people board at different ports, so perhaps they didn't have time to change before dinner?

6 minutes ago, shellunderwater said:

At this moment, it's 38 degrees in FL.  I'm wearing shorts.

50 here. Shorts on... in the HOUSE with the heat on 74. Our bedroom was 71 last night. We used a blanket and was as snug and a bug in a rug.

1 hour ago, Keys Kathy said:

I wish they would. They eat all our flowers, especially red ones. If only they were turned into a delicacy like the Lionfish.

I thought that had been done.  There are lots of video's on YouTube of people preparing iguana dishes. 

1 minute ago, Keys Kathy said:

Well then why are they still here? They are an invasive species.

The "trappers" get paid big money to catch them in HOA gated communities, then just set them loose outside the fence line and they come right back. That's called job security. 

12 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

The "trappers" get paid big money to catch them in HOA gated communities, then just set them loose outside the fence line and they come right back. That's called job security. 

Our maintenance guys carry bb guns. When its cold like this, the cats can catch them.

2 hours ago, Keys Kathy said:

You're right. It was cultural. Had it been at the buffet or a casual restaurant, it would have been fine. It was just such a shock. Your in a quiet dining room where everyone is covered from shoulder to toe in the formal wear and then you have a party of 5 scantily clad, very loud people seated near you.

You could tell the staff was uncomfortable too. It was one of those trips where people board at different ports, so perhaps they didn't have time to change before dinner?

I was on two different say;ing on Royal Caribbean out of Florida and there were about 500-600 Brazilians about ten years ago.They even had menus available in Purtuguese. They followed their own rules. They smoked on the Royal Promenade and the crew could not stop them. They smoked in the elevators so I took the stairs always. There are cultural differences. They were dressing the way they did at home. On the pool deck both women and men were dressed skimpier than Americans dress. Could hardly call what the women were wearing anything. Didn't bother me........The smoking though was annoying. Really so many that the crew couldn't do anything.

I

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Keys Kathy said:

Well then why are they still here? They are an invasive species.

Very invasive.  I think it is the appearance that turn most people off from eating iguana but I bet if someone else prepares it for them, they would enjoy it.  

Two of my favorite YouTube videos on iguana 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Well you could have coyotes running up and down your street.  I think that I would prefer iguanas.

We live in the hills above San Antonio and we do have coyotes running in our streets along with an occasional fox and bobcat. Not to mention rattle snakes in our yards but never seen an iguana.

• Like 1

We live in the City of Pittsburgh.  It's a balmy 31 right now. We also have coyotes on our street along with turkeys, foxes and more deer than we can count. There was a bear in the downtown area about 2 years ago. 

Back to our regularly scheduled program, we would not wear shorts in the dining room at dinner.

12 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

We live in the hills above San Antonio and we do have coyotes running in our streets along with an occasional fox and bobcat. Not to mention rattle snakes in our yards but never seen an iguana.

I have seen a few coyotes. Do you have Armadillos there?

4 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

We live in the City of Pittsburgh.  It's a balmy 31 right now. We also have coyotes on our street along with turkeys, foxes and more deer than we can count. There was a bear in the downtown area about 2 years ago. 

Back to our regularly scheduled program, we would not wear shorts in the dining room at dinner.

When I lived in Maryland we saw foxes and deer all the time. Not seen either here in Texas.

6 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I have seen a few coyotes. Do you have Armadillos there?

Yes on Armadillos, mostly as road kill. A neighborhood about a mile west of us has had several reported  sightings of a mountain lion in the last couple of years. House cats are a favorite meal for the coyotes and foxes. The last time I spotted our neighborhood fox on our street, it had a small cat in its mouth. The deer here are like pets, too many people feed them from their yards.

Edited by terrydtx