HAL bags

1cruiselvr

It's been awhile since we have sailed with HAL.  They used to give out bags to use at the ports for shopping in our past sailings. Does HAL still do that or do I need to pack something to use? We are sailing in February after a long covid pause. 

I guess it is a supply chain thing as others have said because on our B2B NStatendam (Nov 26-Dec 10) we got 2 bags- 1 for each leg of cruise. And the weird thing about the tiles: on our 1st leg, we got a note saying they were discontinuing the tiles due to supply issues.  Then on the 2nd leg we got 2 tiles.  Maybe they are saving what is left of the tiles for longer cruises or for people reaching new mariner status ???  Not sure, because there was no explanation for the tiles in our cabin.

Two cruises in past 6 months on Eurodam.  Was in a Neptune and got the cheap plastic ones both times - they said they were out of the nicer Club Orange ones that we should have gotten.

Of course they blamed "supply issues".

I really liked the old canvas bags and saved a bunch....all faded now.  Honestly, a bag from Trader Joe's for $3.95 fits the ticket and it's canvas too.  Bring one.  The plastic ones they give out onboard are garbage.  Basically, I thought HAL was getting rid of plastic and they give these out?  No plastic water bottles allowed on board, and forget about plastic straws, but the plastic  bags are acceptable.  I know someone will say, oh those are recycled plastic, but I don't buy it.  

Interesting that some people did not get one even if you stay in a Neptune or Pinnacle Suite.  The HAL website clearly lists an  "Exclusive tote bag" for NS and PS amenities:

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/suites-staterooms.html

We usually don't bring a bag for ports because we expect to get one, and have always gotten them in the past.

Miss the original canvas totes - glad that I still have my collection. Who else remembers the very nice blue document folders they used to give out in the olden days when ticket packages were still sent out by HAL? I have 15 of them - and cherish every one! Back in the days when the little things truly made cruising special.

• Like 4

Glad I know to pack one of the bags I got in Dec. It is nice to have that larger bag to tote our towel & whatever else to shore.  The funny thing I remember about the shops on NS in Nov/Dec: when making any purchase, no matter how small, we got a huge paper bag.  The crew member said they only had the huge ones.  What a paper waste that was.

The picture posted by Crystalspin shows the type of bags we received.

Edited by Banditswife
  • Like 1

We were on the Westerdam Sea-Sydney and NZ in the autumn of 2022 for two months and no bags were issued to us.  We acquired some much nicer ones in various ports.  For future cruises, we'll bring a bag or two from home.

Edited by Btimmer

2 hours ago, Banditswife said:

The funny thing I remember about the shops on NS in Nov/Dec: when making any purchase, no matter how small, we got a huge paper bag.  The crew member said they only had the huge ones.

There were only HUGE bags available in the shops on the Rotterdam in November 2022 also, but I did get a blue tote bag and tile!!  🙄

~Nancy

5 hours ago, RD64 said:

Miss the original canvas totes - glad that I still have my collection. Who else remembers the very nice blue document folders they used to give out in the olden days when ticket packages were still sent out by HAL? I have 15 of them - and cherish every one! Back in the days when the little things truly made cruising special.

We still have several canvas bags, ( used to get one per person, not per stateroom) and a couple of the blue document folders too- it was always exciting when they arrived in the mail! 

(ok I looked for a dinosaur emoticon but couldn't find one🛳️....)

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, RD64 said:

Miss the original canvas totes - glad that I still have my collection. Who else remembers the very nice blue document folders they used to give out in the olden days when ticket packages were still sent out by HAL? I have 15 of them - and cherish every one! Back in the days when the ltittle things truly made cruising special.

Times they are a changin'. So many people have everything on their phone now, I'm sure the demand for them simply is not there.  As well, if you go through a TA, they can send you a pouch if you need - So mnay don't book through HAL. I don't even have my TA send my my docs. Such a waste of paper!  I have a complete copy of everything (plane tickets, AirB&B info, all my HAL info) on my phone, my husband has the same, and I also have everthing saved on my IPad if my phone has a jammer.

L.

• Like 1