Live from Constellation January 13-23, 2023

BermudaBound2014

On 1/22/2023 at 8:52 AM, RichYak said:

They've basically given up. I feel bad so for the staff.

A lot of people are saying "this is the result of Covid", but I wonder if it's a convenient excuse? I can get behind the reduction of the buffet later in the night to reduce food waste and cost but be honest about it.  

• Like 4

I followed your report from day one and wanted to thank you for such an amazing way to vicariously travel with you!  I loved looking forward to seeing what you had added each day.  Maybe the ‘duck’ will still be hidden when I travel on Connie in November 2024 for a transAtlantic crossing.  

• Thanks 1

I also wanted to say thanks for your great review and honest depiction of the present state of cruising. We board the Connie on February 3. I have one question about the Monkeyland Park Adventure. When I googled it for more info, it seemed to suggest that you take a bus ride out to the country to get there. I was under the impression that you could walk there from the port area. Can you clarify that for me? We would love to visit that facility. Thank you!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, IWillGoAnywhere26 said:

I was under the impression that you could walk there from the port area. Can you clarify that for me? We would love to visit that facility. Thank you!

I was confused about this as well. I had no desire to take a bus anywhere In Puerto Plata. 

The habitat I went to is a SUPER easy walk. In fact, you never leave the protected area of the “resort” that was built specifically for cruise ship passengers. 

When you get off the ship walk to the end of the pier. Enter the “resort” thru the duty free shop (it’s the only way to enter and everyone is headed that way). The monkey habitat I went to is about half way between duty free shop and the huge pool. On your right as you enter. It can’t be more than a few hundred yards in. Very close. It’s $25 for a session (30-45 minute interaction).

Be like Nike and just do it 🙂

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, cluso said:

Mahalo for your primo trip report!  I grew up in Hawaii and when we visit Maui nowadays, we usually stay in the Kahana area.  Enjoy the whale watching!  🐳🌴🧉

Thank you so much. I almost bought a condo at Kahana reef. Lovely area/ Now I rent up in Kapalua right off the Kapalua coastal trail. It’s truly heaven! I can watch whales from my balcony, but I also volunteer with Pacific Whale foundation. Dream come true :). 

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I was confused about this as well. I had no desire to take a bus anywhere In Puerto Plata. 

The habitat I went to is a SUPER easy walk. In fact, you never leave the protected area of the “resort” that was built specifically for cruise ship passengers. 

When you get off the ship walk to the end of the pier. Enter the “resort” thru the duty free shop (it’s the only way to enter and everyone is headed that way). The monkey habitat I went to is about half way between duty free shop and the huge pool. On your right as you enter. It can’t be more than a few hundred yards in. Very close. It’s $25 for a session (30-45 minute interaction).

Actually from a Security/LEO background...I was sort of Impressed with Puerto Plata... at least the central part( Cathedral.shops,) Saw a lot of Armed Police and had the chance to speak to a couple of them..The Fort area also has Police and Unarmed Military inside....

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Thanks so much! We will definitely do it and I'll report back here. We love anything involving animal encounters. Have a wonderful time in Hawaii!

• Like 1

Thank you so much for checking out the kids menu for me, you’re a

We’ve decided to take the plunge and pay the final balance.
Hope you had a good journey home and have fun on your next trip. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/22/2023 at 12:46 PM, Host Anne said:

These are the best that I got of the aft area.....

I wanted to wait until I could blow this up on my computer to be sure but that's me on the aft!~ I can tell by the gray skirt and where I was positioned compared to the other man. I'm certain of it. Of course, it's too small for anyone else to make out, but I know!! Thank you!!!! 🙂 🙂 🙂 

image.png.e1f931a77e89160db3ca0c5f36c3feae.png

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, mpdog42 said:

Actually from a Security/LEO background...I was sort of Impressed with Puerto Plata... at least the central part( Cathedral.shops,) Saw a lot of Armed Police and had the chance to speak to a couple of them..The Fort area also has Police and Unarmed Military inside....

They have come a long way since my first visit to Puerto Plata 20 years ago. We spent 2 weeks at an all inclusive and touring around was very sketchy. It wasn't something I wanted to tackle again as a solo traveler knowing what lies just outside the protected areas.

• Like 4

Thanks for the great reports from the Constellation.  We are sailing on her in April on a transatlantic.  We last sailed Celebrity in 2009 on the Celebrity Mercury.

I do have one quick thought:  per the figures provided, this ship was about 75% full.  It is possible some of the cutbacks are a result of not being closer to full capacity.  But it is perplexing that prime rib and beef tenderloin was not on the dinner menus since they are on Royal Caribbean menus and Celebrity is supposed to be more upscale.