I wonder what QE will be like in Aussie waters?

bazzaw

Have sailed with Cunard 10 times - but 9 of these have been in British, Europe and American waters. One (our first) was a very brief taste of QM2 from Sydney to Auckland (only 4 days) - can't really remember much about this except that I was overwhelmed by the ship and all the men  on our CC roll call wore Tuxes at Dinner ( which was a first for me!)  🙂 The cruises abroad - culminating in the Atlantic Crossing Southampton to New York - had a certain style about them which we enjoyed as a change from those we had previously experienced at home on Aussie based ships.. So - what to expect on our short 8 day QE - Sydney to Hobart and return cruise next week?? Anybody here recently been on the ship?  

We did a 23 day CapeTown to Melbourne on QE in 2019.

It was very formal, even for normal dinners, jacket and ties every night.

Forgot once, was stopped at the door while the head waiter found me a coat.

Was pleasant cruise but a bit to formal for me.

Edited by Ozwoody
  • Like 1

The answer to your question 'What will QE be like in Australian waters' is 'very Australian', in my experience. I'm yet to have my first pandemic-era cruise (going on QE in a few weeks, Melb to AKL) but just before the pandemic I cruised the same area and they had already dumbed-down the dress code for our waters which then became generalised to the rest of the fleet. This means that no jacket had to be worn in the dining room by men (with the possible exception of gala nights but I'd have to check on that) and no tie necessary.

Your cruise will have some people from O/S but it will be mainly Aussies, I expect, so there'll be the casualness that we're used to. The normal Cunard activities are offerred as I understand it, with the exception of the dancing hosts which I hear have not yet returned because of covid.

Anyway you've sailed with them much more than I have so you must like Cunard? I'll be interested to see how everything is on board these days. I like the more British slant to their food ('real' food to my taste) and being both a solo traveller and a dancer, having the dance hosts to dance with passengers in the Queen's room in the evening was brilliant and made the cruises I've been on with them a lot of fun.

Will you take the drinks package? I'm tempted by it but it is expensive. Then again my cruise is being paid for with credits from a couple of cancelled cruises so it feels like it's free 🤣!

We will soon find out!

20 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

The answer to your question 'What will QE be like in Australian waters' is 'very Australian', in my experience. I'm yet to have my first pandemic-era cruise (going on QE in a few weeks, Melb to AKL) but just before the pandemic I cruised the same area and they had already dumbed-down the dress code for our waters which then became generalised to the rest of the fleet. This means that no jacket had to be worn in the dining room by men (with the possible exception of gala nights but I'd have to check on that) and no tie necessary.

Your cruise will have some people from O/S but it will be mainly Aussies, I expect, so there'll be the casualness that we're used to. The normal Cunard activities are offerred as I understand it, with the exception of the dancing hosts which I hear have not yet returned because of covid.

Anyway you've sailed with them much more than I have so you must like Cunard? I'll be interested to see how everything is on board these days. I like the more British slant to their food ('real' food to my taste) and being both a solo traveller and a dancer, having the dance hosts to dance with passengers in the Queen's room in the evening was brilliant and made the cruises I've been on with them a lot of fun.

Will you take the drinks package? I'm tempted by it but it is expensive. Then again my cruise is being paid for with credits from a couple of cancelled cruises so it feels like it's free 🤣!

We will soon find out!

HeHe - yes- our cruise is "free" too - so something good has come out of the Pandemic. I mean really free - as in Cunard's money, not mine 🙂 Took us a long time to get a large $30K refund for cancelled cruises in 2020 and we had also been promised this FCC - but after we received the cash refund I was happy to forget about the FCC - but Cunard reminded me. So , because QE is only here for a limited season, and when we booked this cruise Covid was still very much on the radar, so I picked a cruise that stayed within Oz waters (not even NZ) . This is also our first since 2019 - there are still "risks" involved (thinking of the requirement for a negative test before boarding). Wife and I can do anything - we can go camping in shorts and T-shirts, we can eat at the RSL bistro, and we can dine in Tuxedo and Gown 🙂 I often wonder why people limit themselves    Re the drinks package - I have never bought one as, although a pretty good drinker, I could never drink what is required of a drinks package participant 🙂 These days I am now trying to give it up anyway. 

Edited by bazzaw
  • Like 1

BARRY, we did QM2, Sydney to HK in 2017. Loved the ship, it is unique, food, service and entertainment good. But all too formal for me I am afraid. Wearing tuxes, jackets and ties is long in my past. My late wife loved dressing up but I never did.

I think being in Australian Waters you will see a few Aussies in their t shirts, shorts and thongs testing the dress codes and getting chucked out of the Crows Nest at the bewitching hour 6pm. As you know Cunard are also strict on dress codes into Britannia MDR.

Enjoy QE.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

We did a 2 nighter last week.

My first Cunard cruise.  Not what I expected (or hoped for) in terms of formality and sophistication. 

The ship is lovely, but I think your suspicions are right and there was a bit of a 'Jetstar' vibe.  That might have also been because the 2 nighter was quite affordable, so some peoples' only chance to try Cunard?

On gala night we saw many men in just pants and shirts, women in sundresses and Teva-style sandals.  A couple next to us at the gin bar both in jeans.  A few tuxes and glittery floor length gowns but they were the minority where we were (gin bar, Verandah restaurant and the ballroom thing I forget the name of). 

It would be a shame if Cunard relaxed their dress code.

Cunard cruisers sail with them fir exactly that experience.

There are dozens of other options for those seeking a more relaxed style.

It is not that Cunard's itineraries are different from orhers. Their style is.

So please, thongs and shorts wearers, stay away from Cunard.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, bazzaw said:

Wife and I can do anything - we can go camping in shorts and T-shirts, we can eat at the RSL bistro, and we can dine in Tuxedo and Gown 🙂 I often wonder why people limit themselves    Re the drinks package - I have never bought one as, although a pretty good drinker, I could never drink what is required of a drinks package participant 🙂 These days I am now trying to give it up anyway. 

Love your comments!

I'm the same - can enjoy being muddy and sloppy; love sleeping in a tent but am equally happy to 'put on the dog' and enjoy fine dining. I live a very casual lifestyle so I enjoy having to feel civilised for a change.

I don't drink much at all...these days. Health issues get in the way. But I do like the idea of feeling like I can try different cocktails and so on and not worry too much if I hate one and just ditch it. Since the package also includes the virgin cocktails and other non-alcoholic drinks I'm thinking I might just go for it.

Looking forward to hear how you enjoy your cruise. I really hope you do and that the weather is kind.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, buchhalm said:

It would be a shame if Cunard relaxed their dress code.

Cunard cruisers sail with them fir exactly that experience.

There are dozens of other options for those seeking a more relaxed style.

It is not that Cunard's itineraries are different from orhers. Their style is.

So please, thongs and shorts wearers, stay away from Cunard.

Already happened I'm afraid. You can read all about it all the time on the Cunard board. People book with Cunard knowing the deal with the clobber and then whinge and whine about having to get out of their trackies and t-shirts (these are not Aussies I'm talking about either). I think there are a few dozen other lines you can sail with if you don't like the dress code of one but people persist.

18 hours ago, Aussieflyer said:

Re the drinks package - we looked (briefly) at it  though at $US70 pppd, even though our cruise is only 5 nights, that would make it over $A1,000 for us. There is no way we could get through that much booze, specialty coffee etc. 🤣

Crazy prices.  Imagine being on the World Cruise and paying that? It would be $20,000.😬  Yes I know some on the WC were lucky in getting a drink package deal, $45 or $50 pp per diem, but still a lot of $$$$$ in my opinion.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

On 1/13/2023 at 9:33 AM, bazzaw said:

Have sailed with Cunard 10 times - but 9 of these have been in British, Europe and American waters. One (our first) was a very brief taste of QM2 from Sydney to Auckland (only 4 days) - can't really remember much about this except that I was overwhelmed by the ship and all the men  on our CC roll call wore Tuxes at Dinner ( which was a first for me!)  🙂 The cruises abroad - culminating in the Atlantic Crossing Southampton to New York - had a certain style about them which we enjoyed as a change from those we had previously experienced at home on Aussie based ships.. So - what to expect on our short 8 day QE - Sydney to Hobart and return cruise next week?? Anybody here recently been on the ship?  I am not expecting this https://ahoyvintagecruises.com/

Yes, it was pretty formal although I thought it was 5 or 6 nights. It was a small slice of a QM2 world cruise, which I think would be still a bit more stiff than an Aussie based cruise on QE.

I feel the same as many of the earlier comments Bazza. It was nice to do, but just a bit OTT for a summer cruise holiday. Packing a suit or tux to take on a cruise is very much in the past for me except for a special occasion. All the same, shirt, trousers & tie are easy. As far as formality on QE goes, you can be comfortable with whatever dress standard you prefer.

17 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Yes, it was pretty formal although I thought it was 5 or 6 nights. It was a small slice of a QM2 world cruise, which I think would be still a bit more stiff than an Aussie based cruise on QE.

I feel the same as many of the earlier comments Bazza. It was nice to do, but just a bit OTT for a summer cruise holiday. Packing a suit or tux to take on a cruise is very much in the past for me except for a special occasion. All the same, shirt, trousers & tie are easy. As far as formality on QE goes, you can be comfortable with whatever dress standard you prefer.

Geoff you will find on formal/gala nights on Cunard, jacket and tie is still required for the mdr and some lounges.

• Like 1

We did QM a few years back, but it was 5 nights out of a 100+ world cruise, about 75% or so of PAX we’re doing the whole trip (one lady for the 16th time take each grandchild in turn as they finished school 4 to go she said) we did feel a bit like interlopers, but I think I’d love a cruise on her that wasn’t a segment.

33 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Yes Geoff and Barry, it was 6 nights. Did anyone on our table wear a Tux? I am pretty sure Andy wore a black suit and tie....will have a look at our photos....somewhere, so long ago!!

We look for cruises to relax now and dress down a bit so choose ships accordingly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

Crazy prices.  Imagine being on the World Cruise and paying that? It would be $20,000.😬  Yes I know some on the WC were lucky in getting a drink package deal, $45 or $50 pp per diem, but still a lot of $$$$$ in my opinion.

From what you read on the Cunard board, most US passengers get a drinks package included. 🤷‍♀️

People do tend to say they couldn't handle having a drinks package for more than a week or so because they'd feel compelled to drink too much! A week might be okay.

And yes, the cost would be far too much for most of us to even consider. 

• Like 1

On 1/15/2023 at 10:55 AM, cheznandy said:

Such a bad memory!! Yes black suits and tuxes on our table of CCers, ladies all in bling and black too.

Can you attach a pic ? - I have nothing from that cruise. One strong memory I have is that they took us by boat from White Bay where we had checked in - to the QM2 alongside Garden Island. They opened a big hole in the side of the ship where we entered directly into the QM2 Queens Room - stewards in red hats and white gloves. Anybody who has not experienced QM2 Queens Room will not understand my awe at that time 🙂

9 hours ago, bazzaw said:

Can you attach a pic ? - I have nothing from that cruise. One strong memory I have is that they took us by boat from White Bay where we had checked in - to the QM2 alongside Garden Island. They opened a big hole in the side of the ship where we entered directly into the QM2 Queens Room - stewards in red hats and white gloves. Anybody who has not experienced QM2 Queens Room will not understand my awe at that time 🙂

I remember the day well. Specifically, tendering from a big tent at Glebe Island. Wow, how 5-star that was. 

I hope Chez has pics. I might have a couple of strays, but most of my travel photos are sitting on a corrupt hard drive.

11 hours ago, bazzaw said:

I would but others are in the photo and I do not like to do that.

I have a heap of the interior, cabin, leaving, QE2 passing, didn't realise how many I took.

• Like 2

On 1/13/2023 at 11:33 AM, bazzaw said:

Have sailed with Cunard 10 times - but 9 of these have been in British, Europe and American waters. One (our first) was a very brief taste of QM2 from Sydney to Auckland (only 4 days) - can't really remember much about this except that I was overwhelmed by the ship and all the men  on our CC roll call wore Tuxes at Dinner ( which was a first for me!)  🙂 The cruises abroad - culminating in the Atlantic Crossing Southampton to New York - had a certain style about them which we enjoyed as a change from those we had previously experienced at home on Aussie based ships.. So - what to expect on our short 8 day QE - Sydney to Hobart and return cruise next week?? Anybody here recently been on the ship?  I am not expecting this https://ahoyvintagecruises.com/

Last year we did 35 days on QE : SF to Barcelona and then another 20 Barcelona-Sydney.  We' d previously done a 14day PNG cruise ex Sydney on her in Feb 20 (yes lucky). 

On the SF-Barcelona leg there were people who'd done the last Alaskan cruise prior - I think they were all Australians. The majority as far as Florida were Americans with a strong minority of Brits maybe 40% US 30% UK30% the rest of us.  After Florida is more Brit - maybe 60% . After Barcelona (we did a loop around the Med in the last week ) - more like 75% Brit. 

On the 2nd cruise there were a lot of Australians - most going through to Australia. The Brtis were the 2nd biggest group - mainly flying out of Singapore. 

The ship was decidedly more casual on the 2nd cruise. There was a LOT more whinging about wearing masks and social distancing rules. 

The dress code was not enforced on either cruise but for almost all the first cruise until we got to Barcelona, we were wearing masks inside except when eating and drinking. The 2nd cruise we had to wear masks for the first week - I believe more than one person was put off for refusing to comply.  

You can' expect staff to worry about jackets or lack of when dealing with masking.  

Basically, on the short cruise segments Cunard dropped the masking requirement - the logic is that if you get Covid it will mainly show up after you left the ship so it's not their problem. 

The Smart Night requirements changed before our cruises last  year no jackets required .  As we were travelling for months my partner didn't have a jacket aside from his dark suit. He had a waistcoat he wore a couple of times early on the first cruise - but once we left Florida that would have been far too much on non-formal nights.  Once the Australians were the majority the  shirts were definitely more Hawaiian than business - plenty of patterns and short sleeves. Note though that both of these cruises were warm weather cruises hugging the equator. The A/C didn't always keep up. 

On formal nights there were a couple of kilts with the matching formal jacket. There were maybe 10% tuxs - more from the Americans than even the Brits. I  didn't see shorts in the MDR but I did inthe Commodore Club and the Queens Room and the Court Theatre - pre-C this would have got the man refused service - but this was no longer the case. Now I think this may come back after the mask wearing stops happening - but who knows. 

It was still fairly refined behavour - no one was visibly drunk or yahooing or ripping of shirts late at night. 

The big disappointment was that particularly on the 2nd cruise was that they seem to be reducing the amount of ballroom dancing. No hosts - but also they had jaz guitar and a soft-pop duo scheduled on 7-8 in the Queens Room - totally undanceable.  Never ever saw the English entertainment director in the Queens Room - Sally Sagoe (?) she clearly had no interest in dancing. The Canadian guy we had onthe first cruise last year Michael ? was much more proactive and was often in the  Queens Room (when they were allowed to mingle) and dancing