Tips for 4 in a cabin

shotzyok

Puffer coats- take up no room in closet.  Gold bond powder to put in stinky/damp shoes.  Use the hair dryer on them in the bathroom to dry them out ASAP.  Stretchable gloves- keep you warm enough but don't take up more room than a pair of socks.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ShakyBeef said:

What does any of this have to do with senility?😕?

ETA: Did you perhaps mean serenity?

3 hours ago, d9704011 said:

Maybe he meant sanitary?

I think he meant being around teens will diminish mental capacity, meaning senility.   

• Like 1

I've been on several cruises as a family of four.  We booked interior rooms exclusively.  My biggest tip is to request two twin beds on the floor level (with the drop-down bunks immediately above them).  You won't believe the floor space this frees up! 

Another bonus from this sacrifice is the daytime presence of two "sofas" for when there are people chilling out in the room.  It may take a time or two to adjust to not hitting your head on the metal of the drop-down bunk, however...use caution.

Enjoy making the memories...

• Thanks 1

My tweens get weird about nudity, so I love the suggestion about the cheap shower curtain to make a changing space by the closet! I'm going to use that one. 

We bring a pop up hamper for laundry. And folding shoe box size bins for the dresser for headphones and chargers and books and that kind of clutter - each kid gets their own. 

The clothes are the worst, since teen boy clothes are so bulky, and my kids mostly "fold" not hang. Assign everyone a section of drawers or closet. If there aren't many shelves I like to bring hanging shelves (5 below has them). 

I also find there's never enough shelving in the shower. I'd love a good solution if anyone has one!

Magnetic hooks for the walls for hats and especially towels - otherwise we can never keep the towels straight!

And accept that no matter how much you tell them to pick up their stuff, it's still going to be cluttered, just because there really is never enough space. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Monica887 said:

I also find there's never enough shelving in the shower. I'd love a good solution if anyone has one!

We use hanging shower toiletry organizer bags.  Mine looks like a water-friendly (mesh backed, drain holes, fast-drying) mini version of the hanging shoe organizer.  I hang it (with its built-in hook) from the clothesline receptacle slot in the shower.  My husband gets assigned one pocket in it, I get the others.  This stays in the shower the whole cruise.  DDs each have a different version, kinda like this:

10 Best Camping Toiletry Bags for 2023 (Men & Women)

And they store theirs in their above-mentioned wall-mounted pocket organizers by their beds when not showering, or on one of the shelves by the mirror at the bathroom vanity.  Speaking of which, we assign each member of the family one of those bathroom mirror shelves, to keep the vanity fairly clutter-free.

Edited by ShakyBeef
spelling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Could also try getting everyone to use a simple dopp kit each, to keep their toiletries to themselves and doesn't mess bathroom. Use it, dry it, put in bag, exit bathroom and store bag in closet.

Also offers a little privacy on bathroom habits/needs

image.thumb.png.688ee9e10e53b5709a49b7bcc21f3fcb.png

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Out of Iowa said:

We didn't find a need for a cheap shower curtain to create a changing space - the closet doors, when opened, make a space that is suitable as long as the person showering continues to shower and doesn't pop out of the bathroom unexpectedly.

That's what we used to do for our girls when in OVs and Balconies, too☺️.   I had forgotten all about that!  They not only used it as a 'dressing room' they also used it as a 'play house'. 

Here they are (from DH's review) on Carnival Glory in 2011:

The girls are dressed for dinner and are playing in the cabin while waiting for us to be ready. They make a little temporary playhouse out of the closet door and the bathroom door. All I can see is their feet under the doors, and all I can hear is their giggling and “character” voices.

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb479/Delta_Hotel/Glory%20Day%203/Nd3_1392.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/13/2023 at 12:53 PM, Eli_6 said:

I agree. Teenage and pre-teen boys have to be about the worst smelling creatures on this planet even with frequent showers and deodorant. I am a *** when it comes to hygiene enforcement and my older son still frequently stinks. The stinch would bother me way more than the close quarters. 

Thank you for keeping it real. I'm wiping tears from my eyes you had me laughing so hard. You could do a standup routine in Carnivals comedy club.

• Like 2

If you think kids stink, try traveling with the elderly.  My kids I can handle.  My parents? The “old person” stink is real, unfortunately.  And my mom is picky about odors and cleans herself more than a cat… just unavoidable.  We will all be there one day, so I’m not complaining.

Traveling with a toilet sanitizer (spray or drops) and deodorizer (like Fabreze or hospital grade like m9) is a must for us.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

The entire nudity thing must be a girl/boy difference (or a teen thing) because I have a problem keeping my kids in clothes...

This brings to mind Axl in "The Middle".🤣  Love that show!  I have two girls, so I realize I have an entirely different situation.☺️ 🤣

image.jpeg.318252e7060c518d8788ae3261aff6fc.jpeg

image.jpeg.25909faa3db1adab0ac8d214494f0450.jpeg

image.jpeg.4199c9ee1cf7c1a7bb0cf5a0205318ab.jpeg

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, SDPadreFan said:

Thank you for keeping it real. I'm wiping tears from my eyes you had me laughing so hard. You could do a standup routine in Carnivals comedy club.

From the standpoint of a high school teacher, sometimes the “odor” is downright horrendous. If you walk in to a different class between periods the smell can be overwhelming. I have no problem telling them as a class - that deodorant is a necessity, and that they need to practice personal hygiene. Unwashed uniforms / sweat / Axe cologne / overheated classrooms is a lethal combination.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

28 minutes ago, RD64 said:

From the standpoint of a high school teacher, sometimes the “odor” is downright horrendous. If you walk in to a different class between periods the smell can be overwhelming. I have no problem telling them as a class - that deodorant is a necessity, and that they need to practice personal hygiene. Unwashed uniforms / sweat / Axe cologne / overheated classrooms is a lethal combination.

As a HS teacher, agreed! Worst year ever - my classroom was off the gym hallway... the cloud of axe body spray in the hall at the end of PE classes was overwhelming! 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

As a Physical Education teacher for 37 years (now retired) on the first day of each class I gave the "make sure you bring deodorant because you stink after class" speech - lol.  But back to the op's question:  We sailed 4 in a cabin for at least our first 30 cruises - and that included CCL, RCCL, Disney, NCL.  We always had a balcony, and that made it easier, as dh and I would go sit out there and give our 2 girls some privacy to change, or just have some down time.  DH was relegated to showering in the gym men's locker room, which worked well for us.  If you think boys are messy, you haven't met our younger daughter!  Everyone got one of the glass shelves in the bathroom for their toiletries, and dh got the drawers in the desk area.  Dirty clothes went into one of the open cubbies in the desk area. (we have free laundry, so that helped with buildup of smelly stuff).  We split the closet space between dd's and myself.   We survived!

• Like 2

On 1/13/2023 at 12:14 PM, shotzyok said:

Taking grandsons (teens) on an Alaskan cruise in June. It’s always been just my husband and I and space already seems really tight! Need tips and tricks for 2 extra in the cabin and not totally going crazy. We have a king, sofa bed and pull down. Will be on Luminosa, so if anyone has information or tips, it would be greatly appreciated!

Spend as little time in the cabin as possible.

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, RD64 said:

Years ago I thought I wanted to be a teacher so I went back to college on an Education track. One semester of student teaching 9th grade Biology cured me of that delusion. Bless all of you who take one for the team!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

for many years, we have cruised 4 to a cabin (DH & myself & our 2 sons)  As they get older (biggier) it does get harder - #1 Room Spray   #2 If possible, plan the times YOU want to get getting ready and let them know the cabin is off limits then 🙂  #3 if they are old enough, I agree w/ the flashlight sugestion so they can come into the room later and not disturb you too much.  #4 make sure they know the rule is "everything put away" once they are dressed.   this made all the difference 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1