what ID docs for 13 year old

ferranah

On a closed loop cruise (returning to the departure port) a birth certificate is all that's needed under the registrations, but some cruise lines require passports for minors traveling without a parent and some require passports of all passengers regardless. 

3 minutes ago, ferranah said:

I would like to take my 13 year old granddaughter with me on a cruise. It would just be the two of us. What ID documents would I need for her for travel from Florida through the Caribbean?

That depends. Some cruise lines require all passengers on all itineraries to present a valid passport. So, it’s not just what the government regulations mandate.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, ferranah said:

I would like to take my 13 year old granddaughter with me on a cruise. It would just be the two of us. What ID documents would I need for her for travel from Florida through the Caribbean?

And you may need documentation from *both* parents that you have permission to take the child outside the USA.  If there is only one living parent, or one custodial parent, then a death certificate or custody documentation might be needed.

There may be requirements by the cruise line and also by the US government.

It would also be wise to have a letter giving you permission to make emergency medical decisions, etc.

Double check whether any of these should be notarized.

GC

• Like 3

What a wonderful thing to do!  Unfortunately, there are no 'universal rules' for travelling with a minor that is not your child.  Travel providers have heightened interest due to child trafficking.  They're not onerous, but your grandaughter may be denied boarding (airline or cruise) if everything's not in order.  Once you pick your cruise, check the cruiseline's rules as well as the countries you'll stop at.  Review the airline's requirements as well.  

Start by deciding which cruise line, then check their requirements. A birth certificate is probably all that will bd required. But you wouldn’t probably want to bring a notarized letter from her parents that you can take her out of the country and get medical treatment.