A First-Timer on Viking River -- Christmas on the Elbe

loriva

Here are the highlights of our experience with Viking's "Christmas on the Elbe" in December 2022.

Booking and Viking before cruise:  We found booking with Viking easy and found the information provided prior to the cruise useful, including tour timings to help plan our free time.  Viking had not assigned hotels in Berlin or Prague when we booked and paid for the trip (almost two years in advance—something I don’t like about Viking) and we did have to contact our TA to receive an updated copy of the invoice that included this information about six months before the trip.  About a month before our trip, we received a package from Viking with red faux leather luggage tags (permanent ones), printed tags for our luggage for boarding our cruise, and an identification sticker for airport transfer (not applicable, but included.)  We had a minor snafu with the final, electronic documents as the agent we had booked with at our online agency had left and no one at the agency bothered to forward them to us.  Once we figured out we should have received them (it was within 14 days of the start of our travel with Viking), I used the Chat function on Viking’s website, connected with an agent there within a minute, and had the final docs within a couple of minutes.  We booked our air independently, so Viking did not provide any transfers from and to the airport.

Pre-cruise Extension Hamburg:  Viking offered a choice of two optional extensions prior to the cruisetour—one with two days/nights in Hamburg and one with two days/nights in Berlin at the same hotel used by Viking for the two included nights in Berlin prior to boarding our ship.  I thought they seemed expensive for what they offered.  Also, when my TA called Viking to check on air options to Hamburg, Viking said they had none.  So, it was the independent travel route for us!  We booked our own air with Lufthansa and flew into Hamburg (via FRA) four days before the start of our Viking trip.  We spent two nights in the city, visiting the Christmas market by the Binnenalster (Little Alster Lake) on our first evening.  The next day we did hop-on, hop-off bus and river cruise combo plus booked a private tour with Stefanie Hempel to see the sites where The Beatles played in Hamburg before they became icons.  (Her tour is superb—highly recommend.)  Hamburg--like all German cities, apparently--has oodles of Christmas Markets.  We visited three—the Binnenalster, Town Hall Square, and the “alternative” one on the Reperbahn.  (Check out the thread on the River Cruising board “Christmas markets river cruises 2022 infos and tips” for photos and details on these and all the markets mentioned in this review.)

Berlin:  We booked and took the train on our own from Hamburg to Berlin--easy.  I also booked an extra night in the hotel Viking used, the Grand Hyatt.  Since we booked a higher category than the standard room Viking provides, we had to pay a small (20 euros) charge to stay in the same room for all three nights.  (We had a much nicer room than the others I saw at the hotel and a wonderful view looking out over the Philharmonic, so well worth it.)  We bought the Berlin City Pass “Berlin Welcome Card All-Inclusive,” which would be a great value if you went to lots of the included museums.  We figured we broke even, but the included unlimited public transit and ability to skip the lines at museums made it worthwhile for us.  (Bus lines 100, 200, and 300 all operate as essentially hop-on, hop-off buses to tourist sites from western to eastern Berlin and all stop close to the Grand Hyatt.)  We used the bus and the Welcome Card to visit a couple of museums on Museum Island in the afternoon and then used transit to buy a pin at the Hard Rock Café (DH collects them) and visit the Wilhelm Church on the Ku’dam.  Viking had a permanent desk at the Grand Hyatt, so we were able to meet our Program Director, Kalin, the morning of the following day before our cruisetour started even though we were not on the Viking pre-cruise extension in Berlin.  The PD happily provided us with the information about our program.  We saw groups gathering for the optional tours Viking had for the extension.  Still on our own, we used the Berlin Welcome Card to travel to and visit the TV Tower in Alexanderplatz, the Holocaust Museum, and other historic sites nearby.  We made our way to the Philharmonic for the free lunchtime concert held on Wednesdays.  We visited a few more historic sites nearby, then returned to the hotel to meet up with my sister, her husband, his brother, and his wife who had flown in that day.  Viking offered an orientation walk of the area around the hotel at 1630 hours.  We all then took Viking’s optional evening tour, which was nice, although Viking had not passed along information on vegetarians (including two in our party) to the restaurant.  The itinerary had also changed from what it was when we booked and paid for it, but Viking included one sight we had wanted to see when we mentioned it.  It included a trip up the TV Tower, which we had done in the morning but the experience at night is different from the day, so worked out.  Overall, I think we covered as much or more as Viking offered in its pre-cruise extensions in Hamburg and Berlin at a much-lower cost. 

The full program with Viking started the next day.  After breakfast at the hotel, we had a panoramic tour of Berlin with a couple of photo stops at the former Checkpoint Charlie and the Brandenburg Gate.  (Having last been in Berlin in 1980, it was a wonderful experience for me to walk through the gate.)  We ended the tour with a stop at the Christmas Market.  We only had 20 minutes there and could have spent a lot more time, making our way back to the hotel on our own.  We wanted, however, to use our Welcome Card for one more entrance—at the German Spy Museum near the hotel—so we went back on the bus.  After touring it, we returned to the hotel and took a taxi to the Reichstag, where we had booked dinner at the Kafer Restaurant in the dome.  Interesting to walk up the ramp of the dome, read the history of the building, and then have a wonderful dinner overlooking the lights of Berlin.  (Just do not forget your passport for identification!)  Viking offered two optional tours—Flavors of Berlin starting at 1400 hours (which likely dictated the short time at the Christmas market) and a Brewery Visit and Dinner at 1830 hours.

Potsdam and Boarding the Astrild:  We had to have our luggage outside our hotel rooms at 0700 hours the following morning, had breakfast, and boarded the buses at 0800 hours.  The group was divided between two buses that traveled with us for the rest of the trip.  We had a couple of hours to visit the Sanssouci Palace in Potsdam (an audio tour, no live guide) and then a lunch stop (on own) and free time in Potsdam, including visiting the Christmas market along the pedestrian street.  We next drove to Wittenberg, where we boarded the Astrild at around 1600 hours.   We checked in at reception and then a staff member showed us to our rooms.  Surprisingly (unlike any other cruise) our room stewardess never came to introduce herself; she also served the two other couples in our party, and they also never had a real introduction.  That said, she kept the room perfectly clean and orderly.  Viking laid out some snacks in the Lounge for us.  Our bags arrived very quickly, and we unpacked, finding space for everything easily despite the relatively small size (180 sq. feet including the balcony, Veranda stateroom) of the cabin.  I found the design very well-thought-out overall.  It could have had more hanging space in the wardrobe and more hooks in the bathroom.  (You could hang your bath towels for re-use or your robe, but not both.   This is a lack I find frequently in hotels and on ships, so I actually pack a small, over-the-door hook.)  The Captain and Program Director hosted a Welcome Briefing at 1800 hours in the Lounge (you could also watch any presentations from there in your cabin on the TV) with dinner at 1900 hours.  The chef introduced the menu each night.  There was always a suggested tasting menu reflecting the region as well as the always available menu.  And you could freely mix and match.  Our servers were all from the Philippines and they were professional and personable, learning our preferences quickly.  We had the Silver Spirits Beverage Package, which allowed select upgraded wines (bottles priced up to $75, I think) as well as drinks whenever.  Afterwards, we had a Christmas Tree Trimming party with carols and complimentary gluhwein in the Lounge.  The Astrild holds 98 passengers, but we had only 86—a count reflecting some solo travelers.  As a first-time traveler with Viking, I was impressed by the “Viking Daily.” Although only four pages long, it always included an interesting cultural story about the location being visited, a “Today in History” section, and a nautical term of the day.  In addition to the usual daily program, weather forecast, and destination information.  Looking forward to seeing what the Viking Ocean program brings in May 2023.

Wittenberg:  After breakfast—always a buffet plus an egg station and a daily special from the kitchen--we boarded our buses for the ride into the Old Town of Wittenberg for a city walk and visit to the Christmas market.  We used the QuietVox system for the tour and Viking provided small maps for each stop.  We had about an hour of free time at the end of the tour and visited a nice Christmas shop on College street as well as the market.  We met the buses at the church where Martin Luther nailed his 99 theses to the door, but that door was destroyed in a fire centuries ago so the door one sees is a replica.  (I think the remains of the real one are in a museum, but we did not visit it.  I like my historical sites to be authentic.  If I want Disneyworld, I can just drive an hour.)  We reboarded the ship at 1230 and had lunch—always a seated affair and you could eat in the Restaurant or up in the forward section of the Lounge--as the ship sailed away.  We had the safety drill at 1400 hours and the captain presented an interesting talk about the Astrild and sailing the Elbe at 1600 hours—again, you could watch in person or from your cabin.  Port briefing at 1800 hours and dinner starting at 1815 hours as we were docking in Torgau.  The PD led a walk around Torgau with free time in their Christmas market, where we saw a band performing English-language pop music—I had at least hoped for "Sie liebt dich."  We reboarded and the ship set sail overnight.

Meissen:  It was a frosty, but clear morning and we have some gorgeous scenic sailing along the Elbe en route to Meissen.  The PD did a presentation on Viking sailings at 1000 before we docked.  A quick lunch and then a shore excursion to visit the Meissen Porcelain factory and then the Christmas market.  We had a tour of the factory, where a recording narrated what the artisans were doing.  Then free time to visit the museum—a little confusing and not always well signed--and shop for a souvenir.  (Hint:  there is an outlet section.)  If you are not really into porcelain, the time spent might seem excessive—they do have a nice coffee shop with cakes, however.  The market was good, but smallish.  That evening we had the usual drinks and live music with a pianist in the Lounge, followed by the Viking Explorer Society party (with what I understand is the Viking company tradition of toasts with aquavit), and then the port talk and dinner.  Since the Astrild is such a small ship all passengers were invited to the VES party.  That night was the Taste of Germany dinner, which was laid out buffet style, and then we had some musicians board for a folklore evening in the Lounge.  

Dresden:  This stop was likely the most-eagerly anticipated one for most of the passengers as Dresden’s Striezelmarkt reportedly began in 1434, making it the longest-running market.  We had three options:  Bus and walking, all bus, or all walking.  (There was also an optional 8-hour tour of the Elbe Valley.)  We chose the first option to see a bit of Dresden as well as time in the market.  After a return to the ship for lunch, there was an option of building a gingerbread house with the chef or shuttles to the market.  A couple of us chose to walk back to another of the markets in Dresden, which reportedly had more handcrafted items.  This seemed like a great idea—until the freezing rain started.  Cobblestones and freezing rain do not mix well.  But I made it back and lived to tell the tale.  The weather was bad enough our enrichment event of a concert at the Zwinger Palace in Dresden was cancelled.  Somehow our excellent PD Kalin found a trio to come onboard and present a classical concert with just a couple hours' notice--and they were wonderful.  We missed seeing the interior of the Zwinger, but the PD really pulled a rabbit out of the hat with the new arrangements.  The charge for the optional concert was, of course, refunded by Viking.

Scenic Cruising Saxon-Switzerland and the Bastei:   Sadly, the sailing is only five nights and this was our last full day onboard, so spent some time packing.  (We had put in a bag of laundry first thing in the morning and had it back by lunchtime.  The Astrild does not have a self-service launderette and I thought laundry prices were a little high--$10 for a pair of trousers, $6 for a tee shirt, $4 for a pair of underwear, and $3 for a pair of socks—but they were quick.  The shower does have a drying line, so could wash out smaller pieces.  But the sink was very shallow, so made it a bit of a challenge.)  We had a disembarkation briefing at 1000 hours and then scenic sailing though a beautiful valley of the Elbe.  After lunch, we disembarked for a bus ride and walk to the Bastei rock formation.  Due to the snow and freezing rain the day before, it was a bit treacherous—I was glad I had packed the spikes to attach to my shoes.  Many passengers opted just to enjoy the view from the restaurant with a drink after the 10-minute walk up the hill from the parking area.  A few of us opted to follow the guide to get closer to the rocks and view.  This was one of the few times I would have to fault the Viking guide—while she knew the path and was confident in her steps, the rest of us were not and she quickly lost most of us and we while we could hear the commentary with the QuietVox we could not see what she was seeing.  Our PD accompanied the group, however, and wisely took position at the end to keep us all together.  We all made it without incident and there was time for even the walking group to enjoy a warm beverage and a pit stop in the restaurant.  The evening brought the Captain’s Cocktail party, dinner, and the usual entertainment in the Lounge.

Prague:   Breakfast starting at 0630 in the Restaurant (with coffee from the fancy machine and pastries in the nook outside the Lounge starting as always at 0600 hours—the Astrild does not have room service nor coffee makers in the cabins, so this is the early morning option), luggage call by 0715 hours, clear out of cabins by 0745, and on the bus in shifts between 0800 and 0830 hours (to allow unloading at the hotel as the parking space out front only fits one bus at a time.)  Then the 90-minute drive to Prague.  We were supposed to have only a brief stop there to unload the luggage and have a comfort stop, but about half the passengers decided they wanted to check in—although it was only 1030 in the morning.  (Many had been to Prague before and were not interested in doing the included tour, so wanted rooms instead.)  As a result, we set off with our guide on the bus about 30 minutes behind the scheduled time.  The bus dropped us on the western side of the Vltava River and then we walked back including crossing the Charles Bridge.  We had a strange stop in a basement Christmas display, that in hindsight was likely to allow us to warm up, use the restrooms, and serve as a timing stop for arriving in the Town Square for the Astronomical Clock marking noon time.  After that we had free time before we were supposed to rejoin the guide, but I think everyone just went their own way.  This guide also lacked awareness of the group—plus the fun combination again of snow and ice on cobblestones—and keep racing out in front of us.  Given the timing stop at the basement Christmas display, this was unnecessary.  Viking used the Marriott in Prague and its location near Republic Square was great for getting around Prague.  There was also a small Christmas market there as well as the main one in the Town Square.  We had booked a performance at the Municipal House near the hotel as well as dinner in their restaurant and had a great time.
The following day in Prague was free time.  Viking offered a number of optional excursions:  Privileged Access to the Lobkowicz Palace (another Christmas market at the collocated Prague Castle), Jewish Prague, a Taste of Prague, and a dinner and folklore show in the evening.  We did our own tour of the Prague Castle, followed by lunch and the concert at Lobkowicz for about half of the Viking price.  (If you are over 70 years of age, public transit in Prague is free.  A day pass for unlimited travel for those 60-70 years of age is less than $3.  Easy to use, efficient, and orderly.)  Afterwards we were going to visit the Jewish Quarter but ended up just wandering around Old Town and the small Christmas market in Republic Square.  Another in our party visited the other large Christmas market in Wenceslas Square, which they reported to be very interesting with lots of crafts for sale.  We ended up just having a snack in the Marriott Lounge for dinner as 2/3s of our party had early flights the next day.

--Post-cruise Extension to Poland:  Our extension to Poland started on 23 December.  We did not realize until the day before that there were only FOUR of us booked on it--presumably because it ran over Christmas.  It ended up being just DH and me as my sister and brother-in-law left from Prague as he had gotten ill (not COVID!)  I had been shocked to learn Viking had not cancelled the extension when it was just the four of us signed up--and even more so when it was just the two of us!  (And we offered to let Viking cancel.)  A Tour Director hosts guests for the extension.  We had Mariusz and he was wonderful!  We rode on a huge Viking bus--DH, me, Mariusz, and our driver--for the long drive from Prague to Krakow (about seven hours including the EU-mandated lunch stop for the driver).  The TD had prepared maps of the route, an annotated map of the center of Krakow and Warsaw showing the hotels, sites, and restaurants, and a history of Poland.  He also had movies about Poland we could watch if we wanted (we did watch "Jack Strong" and "Goodbye Lenin" on the trip from Krakow to Warsaw as Mariusz was losing his voice and we wanted to spare him.  Both recommended.)  The Viking bus did not have Wi-Fi, however, but I had bought an eSIM data plan through Airalo that worked for Germany, the Czech Republic, and Poland. 

Krakow:  The Radisson Blu in Krakow was very nice and an easy walk to Old Town.  (Join the loyalty program before you leave and then send them an email with your number to add to Viking’s reservation with any special requests—such as shower only.  We also received a complimentary upgrade.)  Mariusz gave us 30 minutes to settle in and then walked us to Old Town for orientation and so DH could buy his pin from the Hard Rock Café there.  We had booked dinner at the Biała Róża next to the hotel, which turned out to be one of his recommended restaurants.  The next day--Christmas Eve--we drove (the four of us in the huge bus) an hour each way to Auschwitz/Birkenau.  (Our program was flipped from the usual as the site is closed on Christmas.)  It was, of course, a very sobering way to spend Christmas Eve, but the guide also provided some uplifting stories of survival and the local people helping the prisoners.  We ended up back in Krakow about 1330 hours, just in time for everything to close down--the Poles celebrate Christmas Eve as the main part of the holiday.  The hotel had a buffet for the holiday meal--it was overpriced, but pretty much the only game in town.  On Christmas, the local guide joined us for a panoramic tour of Krakow followed by a walking tour to the castle and to Old Town.  Lots of things were closed--the Cloth Market shops, included--but the Christmas market was in full swing.  We picked up some handmade Christmas ornaments and a late lunch there.  That evening we boarded the bus again for a ride to one of the Jewish areas of town for an included dinner and klezmer concert at Ariel Restaurant.  Excellent again.

Warsaw:   The next day we drove to Warsaw with a stop in Czestochowa to see the monastery and icon.  It was packed with worshipers on Boxing Day, of course, but very moving.  The Sofitel Victoria in Warsaw was also well located and very nice; again, join their loyalty program and send them an email asking them to add it to your reservation with Viking.  Mariusz again took us on an orientation tour from the hotel to Old Town.  He left us there as we had booked a "Time for Chopin" concert (excellent, but about 75 minutes vice the advertised 60--important if you book a restaurant for after the concert).  He had pointed out the restaurant we had booked--Delicja Polska--on our walk.  (I had booked it in part as I knew it was en route from the concert venue back to the hotel.  It was again one of the places Mariusz recommended.)  In the morning, the local guide joined us for a panoramic tour of Warsaw interspersed with some walking portions and ending up in Old Town.  We had booked entrance to the Castle (you need to book timed entry to most tourist sites since COVID) at 1300 hours and that timing worked out perfectly.  After a few hours there plus coffee in their lovely cafe, we grabbed an Uber to the Hard Rock Café for another pin.  We were going to go up the tower to the Palace of Science and Culture, but the weather was a little gray and it was getting dark so decided against.  Walked back to the hotel (less than a mile) and had our complimentary Christmas drink in the bar, then went out to the pierogi chain on the pedestrian street near the hotel for an early dinner as we had an early flight the next day.  Since we had not booked our flights with Viking, they did not include a transfer to the airport but we reserved one on Uber and it was less than $20 including tip.  Mariusz met us in the lobby--at 0500 hours!--and had arranged for a box breakfast as it was before the restaurant opened.  (We ended up leaving it with him as we couldn't take anything in it through security.  We should have thought of this ahead of time and just said no.  The LOT Lounge in the airport had a very nice breakfast selection, so made up for the missed one.)
Overall, we thought the post-extension was very well done and worth the price.  Yes, we could have done it on our own but we learned so much from Mariusz and our local guides.  Since most younger people from the former GDR, Czechia, and Poland speak English--the schools switched to teaching this as the first foreign language instead of Russian after the end of Soviet rule in 1989--we did not find a language barrier at all when we were out and about without the tour director or guide.

Conclusions:  After having never done a river cruise before 2021, we have now completed three—the Danube on Crystal (RIP), the Rhine on Scenic, and the Elbe with Viking.  Each had strengths and areas for improvement.  Crystal and Scenic were all-inclusive, had larger cabins, and each had a butler (which we still cannot really figure out how to use.  My sister and her husband used theirs to arrange a small cocktail party in their suite.  I, on the other hand, did make great use of the self-service launderette on Crystal as I have things I prefer to wash myself and hang to dry, which neither of the other ships had.)   If we had the option, we would likely sail with any of the three again if the itinerary and pricing were right (and Scenic fixes their IT and pre-cruise service.)

We really enjoyed Viking and bought a couple of future cruise certificates from them for a future sailing.  Of the three, we found Viking the best for tour experiences—always educational, enriching, and providing a good sense of the local culture in a short time.  We found service excellent in maintaining the ship and looking after passengers.  The Program Director (the name for the cruise director since we had both land and river stays with Viking) was fabulous.  He was always available, willing to help, knowledgeable, and very personable.  When my brother-in-law became ill at the end of the tour and had to go home early, the PD arranged everything for him.  And, again, shocked to discover Viking was running the extension to Poland for just four of us—and ultimately only two of us.  We also found most of the tour guides used by Viking exceptional--personable, knowledgeable, and aware of the range of abilities of those on walking tours so able to adjust and serve all participants.  While Viking does not aim to be the most-luxurious river cruise experience, we found them to excel at providing a personal and enriching time for their guests.  Now the problem is just figuring out which river we want to explore next and when we can afford to do it!  

• Like 9

Many thanks for your detailed report.

Regarding bathroom hooks for towels, I leave my used towel on the floor after my morning shower and it's replaced by the time I return from breakfast. And if I have a shower before dinner, used towels are replaced by the time I return from dinner.

Like you, I've no need for a 'butler', only time we used our Scenic butler was to request a coffee when returning from an excursion and everyone wanted to use the one coffee machine. Never had to wait for more than one person on Viking.

On 1/15/2023 at 9:44 PM, loriva said:

faux leather luggage tags

We've got lots of them and I thought they were real leather. Whatever, they seem indestructible and their bright red colour stands out on airport baggage carousels. 

On 1/18/2023 at 6:07 PM, pontac said:

We've got lots of them and I thought they were real leather. Whatever, they seem indestructible and their bright red colour stands out on airport baggage carousels. 

I must apologise to @loriva

Vikings baggage tags are indeed faux leather now, but they didn't used to be.

image.thumb.png.89379fa7ec1f2601e1c7d4f518951b40.png

• Haha 1

On 1/23/2023 at 12:43 PM, pontac said:

I must apologise to @loriva

image.thumb.png.89379fa7ec1f2601e1c7d4f518951b40.png

I just got ours in the mail today for our February cruise, and they have that same “genuine leather” sticker on the packaging.  Did we maybe get old stock and the newer ones aren’t leather anymore?  Or is it that our February cruise is an ocean one, and those are still leather but the river cruise ones aren’t?

Edited by bookbabe

If there was a smiley for "shrugs shoulders in a Gallic manner" then it'd be here.*

Could be different stock levels in the various places they warehouse their tags and mail their joining instructions. They've got 80 river ships each holding about 190 pax against 9 ocean ships with 930 pax, so more passenger journeys on rivers so leather tags could run out faster. *and here

Viking have been cutting back on their largess, The bags for the tags declined to a soft cloth pouch and now there are none. The after cruise gift has ended. But we received our Viking 2023 calendar in December.

When they make passengers row their longships, then I'm going to book a different cruise line, till then......

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...

W

On 1/23/2023 at 5:43 PM, pontac said:

Well, blow me down. The packet for our April 2023 cruise has arrived and we've got real leather luggage tags again!

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

This is one of the best, most complete trip reports I have ever read. We are doing the Elbe trip in late November, visiting some of the places we were never allowed during our years serving in the military during Cold War Europe. Your trip will help us with our planning - we like to do a lot of things on our own, too. I love the information about 70+ riding free on public transportation in Prague, and the Berlin Pass. Thank you!

• Thanks 1

We did a similar cruise several years ago. It was “old home” visitation as I was in the Berlin Brigade from ‘71 to ‘74. Here’s a place worth visiting, particularly for a veteran, while in Berlin. 
https://www.alliiertenmuseum.de/en/  Its an easy walk from the Oskar Helene Heim stop on the U3 line. 

• 3 months later...

Thanks for your detailed report! My sister and I are doing this trip (including the Poland Extension) over Christmas 2023…we will be in Prague on Christmas Day! I am really looking forward to this trip (69 days away)…I’m hoping for clear weather…cold is ok…We live in Georgia…originally from upper Michigan, so the cold will be OK…can you tell me which Christmas Market has the most authentic crafts that are packable?

• 1 month later...
On 10/8/2023 at 2:40 PM, Let Me Travel! said:

can you tell me which Christmas Market has the most authentic crafts that are packable?

Authentic Christmas crafts in Germany come from the "Erzgebirge" (ore mountains) in Saxony, partly from Thuringia, too. They can be found on all the Christmas markets you will see during your cruise, Wittenberg, Torgau, Meissen or Dresden. Dresden does have several christmas markets, so probably the widest choice. However, also the markets in the smaller cities have their choices. It is not the "seen one, seen them all"-thing, but indeed things can repeat. Personally I liked the christmas market in Meissen most for the atmosphere, but this is also a matter of time. You will see some of the markets in daylight, others in (of course more atmospheric) at dark.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

I really liked Dresden, Berlin (the one with the white pavilion tent tops…sorry forgot the name) and Prague was great! Bought small things that I could bring home…If I had gone a few days earlier I could have seen more of Krakow!   Krakow was my favorite city overall…just the whole cruise was wonderful…here is a hint…there is a lot of schelpping of bags… pack reusable clothes and lots of warm jackets, scarves, gloves etc…