Awful State of Ocean View Cafe for dinner

Arubamoose

Guest TopoChico
36 minutes ago, bonagrad said:

Yep, cook to order grill makes a lot of sense.  Chicken, beef, pork, fish, hot dogs, hamburgers, fries, chips, some cole slaw, and potato salad.  Add 2-3 cooked veggies, a sandwich station with cold cuts, cheese, chicken salad, and tuna salad.  Allow people to make cold sandwiches or hot via a pininni press.  Finally rotate a made to order actions station, something different night.  Stir fry one night, pasta station, the next, Mexican the next, Ramen the next, etc.    This provides a lot more variety, yet doesn't add a lot of additional labor and little waste, because it's all made to order.  Happy medium is what the ask!

There was a pasta station every night next to the Caribbean “delicacy of the week: stuffed cabbage” on our sailing. It was pitiful.  The Alfredo sauce would have been great for putting up wallpaper. We tried several sauces and tossed them all. Just watery and bad. Oh, you want chicken Alfredo?  Sorry, no can do. Meatballs?  No way.  Chicken on your Caesar salad?  Nope. Shrimp?  Not a shrimp to be seen on our entire cruise, except for the obligatory watery shrimp cocktail in main dining.  They were taking cutbacks to a whole new level on our sailing. 

1 minute ago, mac66 said:

We did 3 X cruises last year and were disappointed with the food and service on all three. We did one RCI cruise in early Dec and were very happy with the food and service.

I get that people need to complain about the food and/or service on a cruise ship but ultimately you have a choice whether to cruise with X or not.  So....vote with your feet.

I don't disagree, but we're past final payment on this upcoming cruise, which is part of a side-by-side where we have a friend join for the X portion.  Too much planning and money already sunk into this to change at this point.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

If one can't get by with the dinner buffet that X now provides - out of necessity - shame on you. If one can get by with the current buffet but feels the need to complain, shame on you more. Plenty of food, plenty of choices, even for the gobblers onboard. The video showed me how well X is doing in continuing to provide a very satisfactory casual evening meal. 

Of course, many will say, I understand that times are tough, and business is rough, but gimme, gimme, gimme anyway. I'm here to eat, drink and be merry, at Celebrity's expense not mine. How dare you to raise prices and levy cutbacks in the name of profitability. Oh, and by the way, I need to know every- thing about your business plan, when and how it will be implemented. Gimme, gimme, gimme.  With gluttony comes waste, lots of waste. That's okay, it is at X's expense not mine.  

This is outrageous and extremely judgmental, Shame on you! 

Patty

• Like 24
  • Thanks 4

Guest TopoChico
3 minutes ago, bonagrad said:

I don't disagree, but we're past final payment on this upcoming cruise, which is part of a side-by-side where we have a friend join for the X portion.  Too much planning and money already sunk into this to change at this point.

On the bright side, Room service food was actually really good! The salmon was great! So were the Turkey clubs, burgers, Caesar salads… the chicken yogurt skewers were really good.
Breakfast was pretty decent in the OV café, but we get up and off ship early so we never eat it. And the specialty coffees were excellent!  Go with an open mind and maybe you’ll be pleasantly surprised. I really hope so! Have fun! 

6 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

Is this a complaint, a joke or a comment?  

It is an absolute serious comment, just like - and I am assuming of course - everyone else's is. I have two upcoming X cruises, two of many before them I might add. Never had a bad one. If I experience what this thread is all about, I will still not have experienced a bad one. You can complain all you want too, and rightfully so. I do not feel the need because X still works for me. Makes me wonder though, why would my disagreeable comments and opinions ruffle anyone's feathers?  Are you not comfortable in the logic with which you post? I'm comfortable with mine.     

• Thanks 2

We eat at the OVC 4 nights out of 7. I watched the video and seriously if they are serving a turkey then where are the vegetables. I don't want chili in my mashed potatoes . some of us can't eat spice!

Have a different carving each night and rotate but please provide the proper side dishes!! There are lots of veggies that could be offered.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TopoChico said:

On the bright side, Room service food was actually really good! The salmon was great! So were the Turkey clubs, burgers, Caesar salads… the chicken yogurt skewers were really good.
Breakfast was pretty decent in the OV café, but we get up and off ship early so we never eat it. And the specialty coffees were excellent!  Go with an open mind and maybe you’ll be pleasantly surprised. I really hope so! Have fun! 

Oh, I've always really enjoyed Celebrity and I know we'll have a great time.  We won't be in freezing cold Western NY working, so that alone will make it worth it!

• Like 1

Guest TopoChico
1 minute ago, bonagrad said:

Oh, I've always really enjoyed Celebrity and I know we'll have a great time.  We won't be in freezing cold Western NY working, so that alone will make it worth it!

Where are you sailing to? What ships are you on?  

3 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

It is an absolute serious comment, just like - and I am assuming of course - everyone else's is. I have two upcoming X cruises, two of many before them I might add. Never had a bad one. If I experience what this thread is all about, I will still not have experienced a bad one. You can complain all you want too, and rightfully so. I do not feel the need because X still works for me. Makes me wonder though, why would my disagreeable comments and opinions ruffle anyone's feathers?  Are you not comfortable in the logic with which you post? I'm comfortable with mine.     

Maybe because you we're extremely judgmental?  Believe you me, I'm 100% comfortable in my logic and as a consumer who has already paid said company in full, I'm going to continue to provide X with my feedback.

• Like 18

1 minute ago, TopoChico said:

Where are you sailing to? What ships are you on?  

We're on Regal Princess (Princess Cay, Turks, Amber Cove, San Juan), the last week of March, then Reflection (Nassau, St Thomas, St Martaan) the first week of April.

1 hour ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

If one can't get by with the dinner buffet that X now provides - out of necessity - shame on you. If one can get by with the current buffet but feels the need to complain, shame on you more. Plenty of food, plenty of choices, even for the gobblers onboard. The video showed me how well X is doing in continuing to provide a very satisfactory casual evening meal. 

Of course, many will say, I understand that times are tough, and business is rough, but gimme, gimme, gimme anyway. I'm here to eat, drink and be merry, at Celebrity's expense not mine. How dare you to raise prices and levy cutbacks in the name of profitability. Oh, and by the way, I need to know every- thing about your business plan, when and how it will be implemented. Gimme, gimme, gimme.  With gluttony comes waste, lots of waste. That's okay, it is at X's expense not mine.  

The OCV buffet is bound to turn most vegetarian.  You might as well get a salad.  The same for the MDR.

Guest TopoChico
6 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

You’re commenting on what you personally have yet to experience, basing it on a video. Your experience in the past is not relevant to your judgement of people basing it on the present.  You question the morals of others who don’t enjoy or accept mediocrity when we were sold an expectation of quality.  Your logic is shaped like a pretzel. 

22 minutes ago, bonagrad said:

Even if you are not past final payment it would still be a mess to cancel.  You would have cancel/change fees for the airlines.  You would have to cancel, plan, and rebook something else.

Celebrity can get by with this in the short term.  But I do not have plans to book with them in the future.

This is a short term business plan for them.

• Like 8

Guest TopoChico
9 minutes ago, bonagrad said:

We're on Regal Princess (Princess Cay, Turks, Amber Cove, San Juan), the last week of March, then Reflection (Nassau, St Thomas, St Martaan) the first week of April.

Awesome!!! Go to Rainbow Café on Grande Case on the French side in St. Maarten. Great beach and delicious fresh sushi and lunch!!!! If you get a chance and you like cigars and rum, go to The Cigar House in Old San Juan and Barrachina for a Pina Colada and a whole red snapper! 

11 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

The OCV buffet is bound to turn most vegetarian.  You might as well get a salad.  The same for the MDR.

I asked my Magic 8 Ball if you are correct. Answer was, "very doubtful". 😉 But based on your prediction, we'll never make Pinnacle. 😁

• Haha 1

Just now, NMTraveller said:

The best post from that thread was:

Decimating the buffet is similar to putting a TV show in bad time slot and then cancelling it because it did not get ratings.

The same for the OVC.  It is likely to go away.

Who could go to this and said they had a first class dinner? 

Who could manage this and with a straight face feel any pride in their work? 

Cici's Pizza (bottom of barrel garbage) is only $6 everyday. If you made this video there you'd just see less rice and potatoes.  

• Like 3

Guest TopoChico
4 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Don’t mess with my pasta station…I’ll say that.

I hate to break it to you, buuuut

they messed.

I am cruising on the Constellation next month  and am really getting a bad taste (pun intended, lol) for all this. The MDR and OCV cuts. Do you think that anyone from X reads these forums and if so do you think it will do any good?  And just a note, our second cruise line of choice is Princess. I just went over to their forums and didn't see topic after topic of people complaining about cuts. I wonder if all this negativity will send folks elsewhere. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, basil1 said:

I am cruising on the Constellation next month  and am really getting a bad taste (pun intended, lol) for all this. The MDR and OCV cuts. Do you think that anyone from X reads these forums and if so do you think it will do any good?  And just a note, our second cruise line of choice is Princess. I just went over to their forums and didn't see topic after topic of people complaining about cuts. I wonder if all this negativity will send folks elsewhere. 

I'm not a suite guest, so I'll be looking at HAL

• Like 2

Just now, basil1 said:

Oh, they read these boards.  No doubt about it.  The more vocal people are here, on social media, and providing direct feedback, will cause them to react.  This industry is quick to make changes, but even quicker to react based on bad feedback!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

Wait a minute, this is LLP, isn't it?

• Like 3
  • Haha 16