Awful State of Ocean View Cafe for dinner

Arubamoose

5 minutes ago, NevadaCruiser2023 said:

I did hear that some of the justification for reducing the OVC offerings was to cut back on food waste. I would imagine a great deal of food is wasted by passengers taking it and not eating it, or just dying on the buffet line. Dinner time isn't the busiest time for the buffet and most people (ymmv) eat in MDR for dinner, probably why they didn't touch breakfast or lunch.  I do agree, though, that those who booked prior to these changes, are justified in feeling a tad upset.  This reeks of bait and switch.  Celebrity may have smoothed over feelings by saying "we're changing some pricing on the cruise you've already booked/paid for, in order to maintain a sense of fairness, please accept this $xx in OBC, we hope you enjoy your vacation". 

I think the bean counters at Celebrity were hoping to make these changes under the radar. If not for CC they would have succeeded.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TopoChico said:

In other words, shield your eyes from the peasants looking for free handouts in the ocean view soup kitchen. 😂

I mean....I guess. hahahaha - I just wouldn't choose to eat at a buffet when I could eat at a restaurant by a 3* Michelin chef.   

It just seems silly to me to to complain about reduced offerings on a dinner buffet when there are so many other great options available.  If they noticed the food waste was excessive and less than 100 people were using the buffet. It makes sense to cut costs here/reduce offerings.  These 100 people out of 3000+ are probably not the 'big spenders.'  They are never going to make everyone happy - they did the math.  

If they cut entertainment in some way, as some are suggesting, the folks who enjoy the shows would be up in arms.  I bet entertainment is a much more fixed cost and easier for the line to calculate vs. food cost right now. 

The folks complaining about it and claiming "never again". - just like they did when they took away turn down service, chocolates on the pillow, room service or added 'speciality restaurants' - won't leave.  And if they do, celebrity won't miss them.  

What is their other choice?  Have fun on your carnival 3 day out of Galveston with the free buffet with more options?  They are not the same product, they are not targeting the same audience.    

If you cancel and take your business else where, I am very curious as to where you are going to go.  Celebrity has stated they are targeting Gen X with the new edge ships.  I could just be you are aging out of celebrity's target market and may be much happier on HAL or Princess.  Just like a family may be aging into Celebrity - the only constant in this life is change. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

What negative feedback have you provided?

I can feel the acerbic tone in your question. Not unlike other posts on this thread but invigorating non-the-less. I'm not on trial, links man, so you will need a subpoena to get answers. Until then I say, nuts to you. Respectfully, of course.    

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

I would have also liked to have seen a full E class ship on their review.  Their first B2B was full and they did not have good things to say about a full E class ship.

Many who have not sailed on a full E class ship will not know what we are talking about.

We have sailed on E class 4 times. Three times full… and frankly, I don’t know what you are talking about. All was fine. Best cruises ever.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Miaminice said:

We have sailed on E class 4 times. Three times full… and frankly, I don’t know what you are talking about. All was fine. Best cruises ever.

Let me guess...  In a suite?  Or you don't go to the martini bar in the evenings?

The video blogger has similar issues.  I would like to hear them and see them.  She has done an excellent job of illustrating the OCV.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, stringbean10 said:

I mean....I guess. hahahaha - I just wouldn't choose to eat at a buffet when I could eat at a restaurant by a 3* Michelin chef.   

It just seems silly to me to to complain about reduced offerings on a dinner buffet when there are so many other great options available.  If they noticed the food waste was excessive and less than 100 people were using the buffet. It makes sense to cut costs here/reduce offerings.  These 100 people out of 3000+ are probably not the 'big spenders.'  They are never going to make everyone happy - they did the math.  

If they cut entertainment in some way, as some are suggesting, the folks who enjoy the shows would be up in arms.  I bet entertainment is a much more fixed cost and easier for the line to calculate vs. food cost right now. 

The folks complaining about it and claiming "never again". - just like they did when they took away turn down service, chocolates on the pillow, room service or added 'speciality restaurants' - won't leave.  And if they do, celebrity won't miss them.  

What is their other choice?  Have fun on your carnival 3 day out of Galveston with the free buffet with more options?  They are not the same product, they are not targeting the same audience.    

If you cancel and take your business else where, I am very curious as to where you are going to go.  Celebrity has stated they are targeting Gen X with the new edge ships.  I could just be you are aging out of celebrity's target market and may be much happier on HAL or Princess.  Just like a family may be aging into Celebrity - the only constant in this life is change. 

My next Celebrity cruise is a Japanese itinerary.  If I cancel, I will replace with a land tour with luggage sent ahead etc. Carnival 3 day ex Galveston doesn't quite cut it.  I agree though not the same market,

4 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

I can feel the acerbic tone in your question. Not unlike other posts on this thread but invigorating non-the-less. I'm not on trial, links man, so you will need a subpoena to get answers. Until then I say, nuts to you. Respectfully, of course.    

Five sentences to state you decline…lol…Give us something, food, entertainment, pricing, etc?

• Like 1

I love how the Celebrity die-hards, groupies if you will, are trying to defend Celebrity on this.  I am sorry, but that food looked about as unappetizing as you can get.  I have seen more appetizing food options (not to mention a bigger selection) at the local Golden Coral.  I would have had difficulties finding enough to eat that night  Cutting down the number of options is one thing but cutting quality is something else.  If food waste and costs is an option then having a full pasta station and a carving station with multiple meat selections would be two smart options.

This, combined with the new MDR menus that lack quality fish and meat cuts and little imagination, are really leading me to believe that Celebrity is trying to push passengers into paying extra for specialty dining.  

It is too late to cancel our upcoming cruise, but this certainly isn't what I paid thousands of dollars to experience.  It is disappointing.  We were about to book another X cruise but have now put those plans on hold while we research other options.  I think most cruisers don't mind paying the price for a quality product, but we expect to get what we pay for.  

• Like 12

24 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I think the bean counters at Celebrity were hoping to make these changes under the radar. If not for CC they would have succeeded.

I would argue that if that is the case, just that on CC they've reached a very small segment of the cruising population, albeit a very loud one and that is not new since post-pandemic cruising, just ask Kelly Hoppen and the creator of the IV cabins and the art curator of E-class ships and the martini bar designer and (fill in the blank) 🙂  

Edited by LGW59
typo

13 minutes ago, stringbean10 said:

If you cancel and take your business else where, I am very curious as to where you are going to go. 

Easy, Virgin! Unless, of course, you have kids. So nice to be on adult only ship!! Food compares to paid restaurants on X but with no charges....fresh, creative, and a whole new exciting world awaits! We are done with X and have a Virgin 8 day at end of month. Will be our 3rd Virgin cruise...

Curious how many pax that have cruised X have tried Virgin?

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, MustBCruzn said:

This made me laugh out loud! I've been an RN for over 30 years, and I completely understand. 🙂 

Hubby retired after 40 years in the fire service three years ago. He is just now  starting to eat more slowly. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Let me guess...  In a suite?  Or you don't go to the martini bar in the evenings?

The video blogger has similar issues.  I would like to hear them and see them.  She has done an excellent job of illustrating the OCV.

No, no suite. But yes, we do not frequent the Martini bar. We rather relax at Al Bacio.

Just now, Accessor said:

Easy, Virgin! Unless, of course, you have kids. So nice to be on adult only ship!! Food compares to paid restaurants on X but with no charges....fresh, creative, and a whole new exciting world awaits! We are done with X and have a Virgin 8 day at end of month. Will be our 3rd Virgin cruise...

Curious how many pax that have cruised X have tried Virgin?

Cool.  Then I'd get off a Celebrity message board and head on over to Virgin. 

9 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

what's the beef (LOL) with the martini bar?  

25 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

My spouse follows several Celebrity groups on the Platform Which Must Not Be Named. The same concerns are being expressed there, rather loudly. There are also the same sorts of cheerleaders admonishing folks who have the audacity to expect what  they paid for, as well as lots of people emailing LLP's office and encouraging others to do so. 

I imagine the same is true on other social media and message board sites.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

My spouse follows several Celebrity groups on the Platform Which Must Not Be Named. The same concerns are being expressed there, rather loudly. There are also the same sorts of cheerleaders admonishing folks who have the audacity to expect what  they paid for, as well as lots of people emailing LLP's office and encouraging others to do so. 

I imagine the same is true on other social media and message board sites.

This is what my DW said.  This is NOT what we paid for.

• Like 2

Guest TopoChico
30 minutes ago, stringbean10 said:

So my cruise story joke starts out as: Two Gen X, a Millennial and a Gen Z’er go on a cruise….

If they were targeting Gen X they better get a better scope. We were none impressed. Across the ages. 

What other great options are available? On the ship I was on, there are three specialty restaurants and a buffet. We did them all. They’re not all Mega ships, ya know. 
I find it interesting that you take a viewpoint where Celebrity is somehow targeting a finer generation of people by offering less and charging more. As if being chintzy will attract a new generation of snobs and elitists and the rest can put their wife beater T-shirts on and go to - Galveston 😂 on Carnival.  
As far as us personally, we have two weeks booked in Antigua in November and two weeks in Anguilla this June.  Vrbo. 

Edited by TopoChico

15 minutes ago, anniegb said:

My next Celebrity cruise is a Japanese itinerary.  If I cancel, I will replace with a land tour with luggage sent ahead etc. Carnival 3 day ex Galveston doesn't quite cut it.  I agree though not the same market,

Different strokes for different folks.  A land tour would be much better suited to visiting japan.  Why visit a country like Japan to eat at an American mass market cruise line buffet? I think you will have a better time on the land tour - by far! 

19 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

I would argue that if that is the case, just that on CC they've reached a very small segment of the cruising population, albeit a very loud one and that is not new since post-pandemic cruising, just ask Kelly Hoppen and the creator of the IV cabins and the art curator of E-class ships and the martini bar designer and (fill in the blank) 🙂  

I do not know if you follow Celebrity Captains Club on the media platform that can't be mentioned here, but there have been many posts and many irate customers posting there, so this goes beyond just CC. That platform has over 40,000 members too.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 3