Awful State of Ocean View Cafe for dinner

Arubamoose

35 minutes ago, pilot said:

On the Apex. Went up to the buffet after dinner in the dining room. We are docked in San Juan and have a late departure. Not sure if it was one off, but there were a lot more stations open tonight. There was a carving station and the grill was open for cook to order small steaks, chicken and fish. A big improvement over the first night 

We eat in the dining rooms and the food and service has been very good. Portions are good size.

So far very happy with our first week B2B. 

Waving from the Connie 🙂 🙂 🙂 

We are parked right next to you right now in San Juan. The ocean view buffet definitely upped their game some tonight presumably due to the late night in port. We depart at 10 pm. Not great, but more than the last 3 nights. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, Mounanian said:

Would have gone to main but no reservations available 

This comment confuses me. I thought the MDR had early, late or select seating….and every passenger had access to one of them.  I wasn’t aware that the MDR required reservations. Would you mind clarifying?

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

While it sounds as though you certainly maximize your time in port, regarding food...it's my opinion that most cruisers do give a crap about their food experience as it's part of the draw (or used to be) of cruising.  I remember when preparing for my first cruise back in 1992, some friends of mine talked extensively about the food, how great it was, so much of it, midnight buffets, unlimited room service...you name it!  That was on Carnival Fantasy...a honeymoon cruise..and the food did not disappoint.

I think you missed my point and just focused on one sentence.  Im actually disappointed in the direction of one of the dining venues that I frequent onboard.  I don't give a crap about the food and presentation as I can't eat a lot of it due to food restrictions and issues.  A dinner at Eden may be something special for some but is not fun for me.  I can't pretend to enjoy something I can't partake in.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, retird said:

Update::   On Equinox tonight ,in OVC , all stations except grilling station were open and well stocked including carving station.    The OVC had lots of diners from 6:00 pm all the way up to 8:30 .   They had a separate creme brulee station with two attendants preparing them for the guests.    Not sure if this is a one off or the start of something good

That's good to know.  Thanks!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stringbean10 said:

Maybe I'm missing it - but the 'reduced' buffet did have 2 soups.  A turkey carving station - something 'ethnic' - the chop suey, a salad bar and a dessert station. 

The Golden Corall near me has a better looking buffet than what I saw in the video.

Here is what's for dinner at Golden Corall"

Hot Dinner Favorites

• Golden Delicious Shrimp
  • Carving Station
  • Carved Bone-in Turkey
  • Signature Sirloin Steak
  • Bourbon Street Chicken
  • Awesome Pot Roast
  • Meatloaf
  • Fried Chicken
  • Fried Fish
  • Baked Fish
  • Manager's Choice:
  • Featured Pork Entree
  • Pot Pie or Chicken & Noodle Dumplings
  • Pizzas
Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 7

4 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

I think you missed my point and just focused on one sentence.  Im actually disappointed in the direction of one of the dining venues that I frequent onboard.  I don't give a crap about the food and presentation as I can't eat a lot of it due to food restrictions and issues.  A dinner at Eden may be something special for some but is not fun for me.  I can't pretend to enjoy something I can't partake in.  

I didn’t miss your point at all. You don’t cruise for the food.  Totally respect that. Most people do cruise, in part at least, for the food. That was my point. 

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

This comment confuses me. I thought the MDR had early, late or select seating….and every passenger had access to one of them.  I wasn’t aware that the MDR required reservations. Would you mind clarifying?

I think the confusion is that you can now make reservations for the anytime dinning.  But you can still show up when you want and get seated if no reservations are shown available. I read here that the E-Class ships have done away with traditional early and late seating due to them having 4 MDR's. It is all anytime dinning on them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, terrydtx said:

I think the confusion is that you can now make reservations for the anytime dinning.  But you can still show up when you want and get seated if no reservations are shown available. I read here that the E-Class ships have done away with traditional early and late seating due to them having 4 MDR's. It is all anytime dinning on them.

Yes, and the reservation system typically shows nothing available except 9PM or later.  All you can realistically do is just show up and go where the wait is the least.  How/Why did they change this; this doesn't seem better? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

Yes, and the reservation system typically shows nothing available except 9PM or later.  All you can realistically do is just show up and go where the wait is the least.  How/Why did they change this; this doesn't seem better? 

I believe it had to do with one or more of the 4 MDRs being underutilized while the others would be over utilized. This is Celebrity's attempt to even out the use and capacity across all MDRs. I guess with a set table and seating time in one MDR passengers thought they could not visit the others. We have not been in a Celebrity MDR for diner since 2018 as we have been booking suites for access to Luminae. But I can see the confusion with reservations being wanted and not shown available in the app.

Edited by terrydtx

1 minute ago, terrydtx said:

I believe it had to do with one or more of the 4 MDRs being underutilized while the others would be over utilized. This is Celebrity's attempt to even out the use and capacity across all MDRs.

They really need something in the app like NCL has; it shows you current wait/demand for any given restaurant.  Maybe they have this on those ships, haven't seen it. The whole run around and see where you can get in is not what I consider good service. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, terrydtx said:

I think the bean counters at Celebrity were hoping to make these changes under the radar. If not for CC they would have succeeded.

And the changes in the MDR.  In fact, the Celebrity Rep I spoke to today, advised there would be "tweaks" to the Aqua menu as well.  I cancelled the cruise I booked for May and have the remainder of the year to use the FCC. 😊

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jules27556 said:

And the changes in the MDR.  In fact, the Celebrity Rep I spoke to today, advised there would be "tweaks" to the Aqua menu as well.  I cancelled the cruise I booked for May and have the remainder of the year to use the FCC. 😊

I have seen posts on FB that the tweaks have already happened in both Blu and Luminae. There is a FB group of Retreat guests and they are highlighting the cuts in Luminae.

Edited by terrydtx

18 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

Not sure about E class , i wont be on until Feb and i cant get a reservation before 8:30/9:00.   I am currently on Equinox and have anytime dining. I made a reservation for a specific time each night, but when I showed up at the dining room, they told me my reservation didnt mean anything and I had to wait in line to be seated with all the other guests ahead of me.  I did go see them next day and they said there is no separate line for anyone with reservations and to forget about my reservation and just show up and wait with everyone else.   Fortunately we eat early(530) and have not had much of a wait time

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, retird said:

Not sure about E class , i wont be on until Feb and i cant get a reservation before 8:30/9:00.   I am currently on Equinox and have anytime dining. I made a reservation for a specific time each night, but when I showed up at the dining room, they told me my reservation didnt mean anything and I had to wait in line to be seated with all the other guests ahead of me.  I did go see them next day and they said there is no separate line for anyone with reservations and to forget about my reservation and just show up and wait with everyone else.   Fortunately we eat early(530) and have not had much of a wait time

Do you notice lines when you leave dinner?  On Royal Caribbean they have 2 lines; walks ups, and reservations line, each processed by a different host.  If someone with a reservation is waiting in line behind those without a reservation....they don't actually have a reserved table at all as the tables are given out in sequential order.  They don't know who in the line has reservations versus walk up, so they haven't actually set aside tables specifically for those with a reservation. 

I suspect that people try to just book early to get time slots they want, and since it's all anytime dining now they "bail" on reservations left and right depending on what the theme of the restaurant/wait time for that night.  If the reservation doesn't reserve a spot, what is it?

7 minutes ago, retird said:

……they told me my reservation didnt mean anything and I had to wait in line to be seated with all the other guests ahead of me.  I did go see them next day and they said there is no separate line for anyone with reservations and to forget about my reservation and just show up and wait with everyone else.  

Well that seems just silly. Currently on Connie there are two separate lines to enter the mdr. One for reservations and one without. The line without reservations was shorter last night. I was sat pretty much immediately but this was early (5:45). 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, retird said:

That is not acceptable for a line trying to promote itself as “luxury”. So disappointing after well over a dozen Celebrity cruises. If our April cruise isn’t up to expectations, we will cancel three future cruises and shift to another line. As e

Elite plus, that would be sad. But we care about the value received for our money.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Guest TopoChico
13 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

The changes being discussed here and shown in the video that started this thread became effective on cruises that begin on or after Jan 1st this year.

Go back and read.  My sailing was a bare -bones sailing where there was nothing on the buffet and the mdr and specialty dining sucked.  I posted on December 5th forward about it.  The changes did not start on January 1st. They tested the skimping prior to that - on our sailing. 

I hope Celebrity repairs their mistake. Good luck to everyone on their sailings.!

I have two upcoming Caribbean land vacations to plan. Peace out! 

Edited by TopoChico

8 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I have seen posts on FB that the tweaks have already happened in both Blu and Luminae.

8 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I have seen posts on FB that the tweaks have already happened in both Blu and Luminae.

And so the "tweaking" has begun! 

3 minutes ago, retird said:

Not having any recent experience with anytime dining on Celebrity to relate, but I can say on the HAL Oosterdam last year we showed up for anytime dining between 6:30 and 7:00 and never had to wait any night on a 14 night cruise to be seated. Their Lido Buffett was packed at night as on HAL you can get most of what is being served in the MDR in the buffet. I often go to the buffet to see the MDR entrees and decide what to order in the that night. We were a party of 4 and this cruise followed our cruise on the Reflection in the retreat. For my sister and BIL this was their first Celebrity cruise and overall they said the Oosterdam MDR had better food than the Luminae, but service wise Luminae blew away the HAL MDR.

3 minutes ago, TopoChico said:

Go back and read.  My sailing was a bare -bones sailing where there was nothing on the buffet and the mdr and specialty dining sucked.  I posted on December 5th forward about it.  The changes did not start on January 1st. They tested the skimping prior to that - on our sailing. 

Your cruise must have been the beta testing of the changes.