Wine in carryon - how strict is Cape Liberty?

3 hours ago, Ret MP said:

Love me some Diet Dr. Pepper.  However, if it's going to be an adult drink, Dr. Pepper with Cream Soda in it and Kraken Rum.  Ummmm Ummmm Ummmm

image.png.bab36fb79bdb1a806026b969e2a65611.png

Kraken Black Spiced 94 proof Rum - CaskCartel.com

I’ve recently fallen in love with DP+CS Zero so I’m definitely going to be trying this cocktail very soon!  Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mel23 said:

I’ve recently fallen in love with DP+CS Zero so I’m definitely going to be trying this cocktail very soon!  Thanks for sharing!

WOW, I didn't know that there is Dr. Pepper+Cream Soda Zero.  I'm going to have to look high and low for it. 

17 hours ago, mac66 said:

Very strict....more than two they make you drink the rest while standing in line. Drink it down and pass it 'round, make new friends.

I thought they denied boarding with no refund if you went over the limits. Or they used to at least?

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, RD64 said:

Just call it a day and buy your wine on board. Enjoy your vacation instead of spending months in advance how to bring wine on board.

Great advice if you really don't care what wine you drink. Quite a few of us do care what wine we drink, especially us Cab drinkers. Royals not swill Cab but not mid-end Napa cabs are fairly non-existent and/or not dependable  Usually Decoy or Oberon, sometimes available in Vintages or the MDR, sometimes only one or the other, often run out at least one night. And the markup can be quite crazy (although the Oberon at $55 not to bad). Even with a beverage package I bring a few bottles of decent stuff with me. 

Edit for some clarity:

I probably have 150 bottle of Cabernet at my house. Every bottle I have is of better quality than anything Royal has that fits under their DBP. Not a single bottle I own is up to the standard of what I would consider a Mid-range Napa (Caymus or so), at least based on original purchase price.  I usually end up drinking Oberon or Decoy on RCG ships, at a slight up-charge from the DPB or Diamond voucher use.

Edited by RedIguana
  • Like 1

I like wine.  I really do.  But, I'm not a wine snob.  That's not an accusation that anyone commenting in here is.  I just don't find any issues with drinking wine out of a box or gallon jug.  Some of it can be very good.  And I have spent a few years wine tasting in NAPA Valley.  So, I fully understand that people's taste are all different, especially when it comes to wine.  AND, I feel I'm A LITTLE more educated in wine than many.  No, I'm no expert and don't claim to be.   

For me, this is an issue of integrity and rule following.  As stated many times in this forum, I'm a rule follower.  I do believe that the vast majority of rules are there for a very good reason.  Bring on only 2 bottles or 750ml is a very good one.  It can cause wine drinkers, of which I am one, to purchase wine on the ship, the ship (company) makes a profit, and that goes towards keeping the fare costs down.  I'm usually a Star Class cruiser (once again, just fact, not bragging), I can drink all the wine I want at no extra charge, BY THE GLASS.  So, I purchase a bottle at a time (the first bottle of wine or champaign during the cruise, in the suite, is usually comp'ed).  I like to sit on the balcony and drink wine, a lot of wine.  I'm not going to have someone bring a GLASS of wine to me every 30 or so minutes.  I just go ahead an purchase a bottle or two, one at a time, on the sea days that I just enjoy the sea going by.

If the ship doesn't have the wine that I like, I move on the my second choice or third or .............

When I go to a Steakhouse on land, I don't take my own steak because they don't have a Corn fed Iowa prime Ribeye.  I'll eat their Kansas Corn fed prime Ribeye OR I don't go.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, ace2542 said:

I thought they denied boarding with no refund if you went over the limits. Or they used to at least?

Actually no, they would simply hold it for you until the end of the cruise. However that was my attempt at humor, I wasn't being serious.

Edited by mac66