Azamara or Oceania? Opinions please!

soskalt1

Also, if this is important to you,

with a higher suite on Oceania, you can board at 11 am and your cabin is ready at this time (2 pm+ on Azamara). You can make reservations for their specialty restaurants online and well before most other pax (only after boarding on Azamara that again starts at 2 pm for everyone).

40 minutes ago, voyager1964 said:

with a higher suite on Oceania, you can board at 11 am and your cabin is ready at this time (2 pm+ on Azamara). You can make reservations for their specialty restaurants online and well before most other pax (only after boarding on Azamara that again starts at 2 pm for everyone).

On every Azamara cruise we’ve taken post-Covid, the suites have been the first group boarded, pretty much at 2pm. Although they were subtle about it, I believe the top suites boarded just before the lesser suites. So the suite passengers on Azamara still get to book the speciality restaurants before the other passengers, although after boarding, as you say.

We just got off the Pursuit and met quite a few Oceania cruisers and the overwhelming thoughts about Azamara versus Oceania was that Oceania won hands-down. We used to be loyal Azamara cruisers and our last cruise with them was January 2020, it was superb. However, the food has taken a big hit and the service has gone downhill also, it was actually quite disappointing and we thought what has happened? So much so that I don’t see us taking another cruise with them for some time. Three new couples to Azamara said never again and they raved about Oceania. I didn’t bother to ask if they had been on Oceania since Covid because like I mentioned, we used to be cheerleaders for Azamara, but no more after this last experience. I understand they’re trying to make money back after Covid but the food has become average, they ran out of items immediately such as bagels on day 2, escargot left a few days later, and that’s just bad provisioning for a 17 day cruise. A week into the cruise and the dining room had a whole list of things that were no longer available. Service is also taking a hit and we noticed in the Buffet that getting water and wine almost became a self service situation, servers would literally walk by people with empty trays and we just figured out to go up and get our own water and wine and then other people were asking us how we got our water and wine and we told them we helped ourselves. That isn’t the normal Azamara service we have become accustomed to, quite sad because we really did love this line but after this last cruise not so much.

Looking forward to great (I hope) food and service on Oceania in April for 28 days!

• Like 1

On 1/19/2023 at 10:32 AM, NewSalty said:

Not that it really makes a lot of difference, but the Marina refurb has been postponed without a new date.  There is much speculation on the Oceania board, but it seems fairly unlikely that it will happen before 2025.

Now it looks like she MAY get a face-lift in May 2024. There's no sailing showing on the website at that time.

4 hours ago, vtgumby said:

We just got off the Pursuit and met quite a few Oceania cruisers and the overwhelming thoughts about Azamara versus Oceania was that Oceania won hands-down. We used to be loyal Azamara cruisers and our last cruise with them was January 2020, it was superb. However, the food has taken a big hit and the service has gone downhill also, it was actually quite disappointing and we thought what has happened? So much so that I don’t see us taking another cruise with them for some time. Three new couples to Azamara said never again and they raved about Oceania. I didn’t bother to ask if they had been on Oceania since Covid because like I mentioned, we used to be cheerleaders for Azamara, but no more after this last experience. I understand they’re trying to make money back after Covid but the food has become average, they ran out of items immediately such as bagels on day 2, escargot left a few days later, and that’s just bad provisioning for a 17 day cruise. A week into the cruise and the dining room had a whole list of things that were no longer available. Service is also taking a hit and we noticed in the Buffet that getting water and wine almost became a self service situation, servers would literally walk by people with empty trays and we just figured out to go up and get our own water and wine and then other people were asking us how we got our water and wine and we told them we helped ourselves. That isn’t the normal Azamara service we have become accustomed to, quite sad because we really did love this line but after this last cruise not so much.

Looking forward to great (I hope) food and service on Oceania in April for 28 days!

Our view of the food on Azamara in 2022 has been just the opposite, we found the food has been even better on the 5 cruises (2 different Azamara ships) we took last year than in previous years. And for the most part, service has been excellent. Different strokes, I guess?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, lisiamc said:

Our view of the food on Azamara in 2022 has been just the opposite, we found the food has been even better on the 5 cruises (2 different Azamara ships) we took last year than in previous years. And for the most part, service has been excellent. Different strokes, I guess?

Or better luck. I hope this was a one off situation, we are low key people who roll with stuff but there was a LOT of complaints swirling and we finally agreed, it wasn’t what it was in the past. Maybe nothing is post Covid but I can say Windstar the month before jumped far ahead of Azamara in terms of both quality and service. Way ahead. 
Hoping Azamara fixes the issues abound on this last Pursuit cruise.

57 minutes ago, vtgumby said:

Or better luck. I hope this was a one off situation, we are low key people who roll with stuff but there was a LOT of complaints swirling and we finally agreed, it wasn’t what it was in the past. Maybe nothing is post Covid but I can say Windstar the month before jumped far ahead of Azamara in terms of both quality and service. Way ahead. 
Hoping Azamara fixes the issues abound on this last Pursuit cruise.

I'm on Pursuit right now. I guess on the one straight after you if yours was Antartica. I have no reference point since I'm a first timer but I don't recognise your points about service. Far from seeking my own wine, I have to stop them pouring and beyond that, the service has been very good. I haven't been on Oceania, so again I have no reference point but I've found the food to be fine (and I'm quite fussy), albeit I've only eaten in the speciality restaurants so far, not the MDR (that comes tomorrow). Not had any OOS on the food I've ordered though there have been stocking issues on the wine, which I've commented on elsewhere. On the latter, which I have some expertise, I think there is cost cutting. But then I doubt any cruise line can escape that unless they ramp up prices. 

Without a reference point, I'm happy so far, even despite the wine failings which do matter to me. They do seem to be trying to fix those as best they can. The sommelier has certainly been v attentive- and like so many of the crew, a lovely guy. What might be different is that a) we are some way short of full whereas yours, if Antartica, was near to sold out and b) there has I think been a fair turnaround of crew in Montevideo so maybe some were on their last legs.

• Like 5

One big difference between Azamara and Oceania – historically and apparently still today – is that Azamara actually goes to the ports that were booked much more often than Oceania does, and when a port becomes unavailable at the last minute Azamara substitutes another port if at all possible while Oceania just does circles and calls it a 'sea day.'  

Another is that Azamara always seems to be docked in the most convenient spot (close in) while Oceania is at the furthest out/least convenient.

I have seen this as a passenger on both Oceania and Azamara cruises, plus read about it constantly on the A and O CC forums.

• Like 10

11 hours ago, federalexpress said:

I'm on Pursuit right now. I guess on the one straight after you if yours was Antartica. I have no reference point since I'm a first timer but I don't recognise your points about service. Far from seeking my own wine, I have to stop them pouring and beyond that, the service has been very good. I haven't been on Oceania, so again I have no reference point but I've found the food to be fine (and I'm quite fussy), albeit I've only eaten in the speciality restaurants so far, not the MDR (that comes tomorrow). Not had any OOS on the food I've ordered though there have been stocking issues on the wine, which I've commented on elsewhere. On the latter, which I have some expertise, I think there is cost cutting. But then I doubt any cruise line can escape that unless they ramp up prices. 

Without a reference point, I'm happy so far, even despite the wine failings which do matter to me. They do seem to be trying to fix those as best they can. The sommelier has certainly been v attentive- and like so many of the crew, a lovely guy. What might be different is that a) we are some way short of full whereas yours, if Antartica, was near to sold out and b) there has I think been a fair turnaround of crew in Montevideo so maybe some were on their last legs.

Awesome! I truly hope it was a one off situation!

• Like 1

On 1/18/2023 at 3:05 PM, lisiamc said:

Well, you know if you ask this question on the Azamara forum, you’re going to get a slightly biased answer! We love Azamara, and part of that is the slightly more spontaneous nature of Azamara compared to Oceania. Both lines are very good, and some of the ships (the R ships) are nearly identical, but there is a slight difference in the character of the two lines. For me, the friendliness and slightly lesser degree of formality gives Azamara the edge but this is very subjective. 

I agree completely!  We cruise both and like both but they are different.  I think you describe that difference well.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

One big difference between Azamara and Oceania – historically and apparently still today – is that Azamara actually goes to the ports that were booked much more often than Oceania does, and when a port becomes unavailable at the last minute Azamara substitutes another port if at all possible while Oceania just does circles and calls it a 'sea day.'  

Another is that Azamara always seems to be docked in the most convenient spot (close in) while Oceania is at the furthest out/least convenient.

I have seen this as a passenger on both Oceania and Azamara cruises, plus read about it constantly on the A and O CC forums.

We have not experienced either of these.

16 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

.....Azamara always seems to be docked in the most convenient spot (close in) while Oceania is at the furthest out/least convenient.....

December past, that was not the case for Azamara in Roseau, Dominica. We were on MSC Seaside, which was docked right in the centre of town. We could not believe it when we noticed both Oceania and Azamara ships much farther out. Certainly no way anyone was walking in to Roseau from what looked to be a couple of miles out of town! Presumably passengers were shuttle bussed!

4 minutes ago, hamrag said:

December past, that was not the case for Azamara in Roseau, Dominica. We were on MSC Seaside, which was docked right in the centre of town. We could not believe it when we noticed both Oceania and Azamara ships much farther out. Certainly no way anyone was walking in to Roseau from what looked to be a couple of miles out of town! Presumably passengers were shuttle bussed!

We sailed 5th to 17th of January and Azamara docked in centre of Town. 

36 minutes ago, Ayden said:

We sailed 5th to 17th of January and Azamara docked in centre of Town. 

But, were there any other cruise ships that day? On our most recent visit to Roseau there were 3 ships, previously on another four visits our ship was the only one.

I am considering both lines for the Panama Canal.  We loved our Southeast Asia cruise on the Quest in October of 2019.  We bid and got an upgrade to the low level suite and loved absolutely everything about the cruise.  

As to dining, we loved Prime C, but thought Aqualine was meh.  The Indonesian Rijstafal dinner was pretty bad too.  Maybe caught a bad night.  Thinking about booking a regular verandah cabin with a dining package.  

Agree on service on Azamara.  

On a typical itinerary, I just assume book Celebrity as there is more to do and like Aqua class, but thinking right now that Panama Canal on a large Celebrity ship (they aren’t even using M class) would fall far short of Oceania or Azamara.  Tough choice on this one between the two.

5 minutes ago, hubofhockey said:

I am considering both lines for the Panama Canal.  We loved our Southeast Asia cruise on the Quest in October of 2019.  We bid and got an upgrade to the low level suite and loved absolutely everything about the cruise.  

As to dining, we loved Prime C, but thought Aqualine was meh.  The Indonesian Rijstafal dinner was pretty bad too.  Maybe caught a bad night.  Thinking about booking a regular verandah cabin with a dining package.  

Agree on service on Azamara.  

On a typical itinerary, I just assume book Celebrity as there is more to do and like Aqua class, but thinking right now that Panama Canal on a large Celebrity ship (they aren’t even using M class) would fall far short of Oceania or Azamara.  Tough choice on this one between the two.

I could be wrong, but I remember the Celebrity M class ships being billed as Panamax. So the newer ships must be larger? If you have ambitions to see the new locks, that could be a good thing. If you wanted to see the older, historic locks, then I think you might be out of luck. I’d stick with Azamara!

Edited by lisiamc

22 minutes ago, lisiamc said:

I could be wrong, but I remember the Celebrity M class ships being billed as Panamax. So the newer ships must be larger? If you have ambitions to see the new locks, that could be a good thing. If you wanted to see the older, historic locks, then I think you might be out of luck. I’d stick with Azamara!

Thanks, I know very little about about the Panama Canal and what I would see from the Celebrity Beyond and what I would see from the Journey.  This is great info.  We’re doing the Millennium for Japan and really like those M class ships.  Oceania has a Panama Canal itinerary that ends in Peru.  I just don’t understand their pricing  and a bit nervous about Peru, at the moment.  The Journey ends in Panama, an easy flight home to South Florida.

2 hours ago, hamrag said:

But, were there any other cruise ships that day? On our most recent visit to Roseau there were 3 ships, previously on another four visits our ship was the only one.

Yes, there was one other much larger ship way over across the bay.  Can't really recall who it was.

• Thanks 1

On 1/21/2023 at 7:30 AM, voyager1964 said:

Had experience with booking specialties online with Regent, Oceania's big sister and supposed "six-star luxury" line.  Did not like that approach st all.  Opened at midnight Central time for us, but penthouse and above had first crack days earlier, a policy I really dislike.  You were allowed one reservation in each specialty.  Few openings were left.

On our second Regent cruise, they borrowed the hotel and cruise directors from Oceania, both unimpressive and not very visible.  The CD would walk past you like you weren't there.  I suppose some prefer it that way.

I am currently sailing on Oceania marina in South america.  This is day 44 for us out of 51.  This is the second cruise on oceania in less than 1 year- our other was a crossing on Insignia.  We were in a PH1 on Insignia which had just been refurbed.  Now we are in a concierge Balcony on marina which is scheduled for a refurb May 2024 and it needs it.  Everything in the stateroom is fine except the closet rattles in rough seas.  We just returned from Antartica and so trust me- things were rattling alot.  We are done with Oceania.  The food is not the best at sea and is downright weird sometimes.  I was sickened more than once by seafood undercooked- one of the episodes lasted 10 days.  The staff is going through the motions and the officers don't hold a candle to Azamara.  We love Cpt Smith- chatty as can be but always kept us informed and we did 6 weeks with him in australia/nz B2Bs.  The final straw for us is that NCLH who owns Oceania has cut times in port which has very much affected all of our tours.  We have been late to most ports and leave on time.  This takes my 7 hour tour down to 5.5 or less.  The stated reason for these port times being shortened,  "to lessen our environmental impact".  We were running slower which saves Oceania on fuel.  We missed Port Stanley entirely which was a huge disappointment to many of us on the 51 night trip.  the captain speaks to us rarely and then only briefly- none of the senior officers are seen about the ship unless passing through a room.  To be honest, the most important thing to me on a ship is the itinerary and a ship is a floating hotel for us.  I want ice 2x per day in my room and beyond that not much else.   we found our butler on insignia to be quite unfriendly.  We ran out of food from missing so many ports on Insignia- lots of excuses most of which I don't believe.  The shorter port stays though will be the undoing of the line- lots of unhappy people on this cruise and I hear that its on their other ships as well from following the blogs.  You have little enough time in ports so cutting them short for the "sake of the environment" really??? Stick with Azamara- I never felt lied to on that line and on this one- I just don't trust anyone.  I love the fact that more overnights and longer stays in port is the Azamara way- certainly isn't NCLH's way.  If the line was really worried- they would have set about upgrading their ships like Celebrity has done- the ash coming out of our stacks on Marina vx. celebrity steam on the Edge class is a startling difference.  If Celebrity had the itineraries, I would be forever on their ships.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Dive4pam, thanks for your review. I have not yet sailed on either of these lines butmi am looking closely at them both. Like you, itinerary drives our decisions. 
I do have a question though. You mention that Marina needs freshening up - which I understand is scheduled soon. In reading these boards, I do read quite a number of remarks about Azamara ships looking their age - that they are also in need of some TLC. I wonder if you could speak to that comparison. 
‘thank you 

21 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

Dive4pam, thanks for your review. I have not yet sailed on either of these lines butmi am looking closely at them both. Like you, itinerary drives our decisions. 
I do have a question though. You mention that Marina needs freshening up - which I understand is scheduled soon. In reading these boards, I do read quite a number of remarks about Azamara ships looking their age - that they are also in need of some TLC. I wonder if you could speak to that comparison. 
‘thank you 

I have not sailed Azamara post-pandemic.  the Onward is brand new and so I assume is gorgeous.  But again, what is of utmost importance to me is service and attitude as well as port time.  I forgot to add that the azamazing evenings have been nothing short of spectacular where the entire ship is invited for an evening on land for music or show.  In Wellington- we were in the cathedral for a Maori choir- I still cry when I hear them on the video we purchased.  I heard more horror stories at lunch today from how the staff aboard this ship has been rude and at times hostile regarding passenger complaints.  I also don't care for how they handle medical issues.  By the time we get off on tuesday, we will have spent close to $100,000 this year with them.  I don't plan to spend any more.  I can't see how they will survive as a cruise line given the number of unhappy people on our cruise (most of whom are younger and new to cruising)  I think they build in loyalty and those older folks have not been on other cruise lines to compare- they just accept this attitude and non communication as part of cruising.  There are too many great cruise lines in the water and too many new ships to put up with this sort of attitude and service.  Good luck making your decision.

5 hours ago, dive4pam said:

I have not sailed Azamara post-pandemic.  the Onward is brand new and so I assume is gorgeous.  But again, what is of utmost importance to me is service and attitude as well as port time.  I forgot to add that the azamazing evenings have been nothing short of spectacular where the entire ship is invited for an evening on land for music or show.  In Wellington- we were in the cathedral for a Maori choir- I still cry when I hear them on the video we purchased.  I heard more horror stories at lunch today from how the staff aboard this ship has been rude and at times hostile regarding passenger complaints.  I also don't care for how they handle medical issues.  By the time we get off on tuesday, we will have spent close to $100,000 this year with them.  I don't plan to spend any more.  I can't see how they will survive as a cruise line given the number of unhappy people on our cruise (most of whom are younger and new to cruising)  I think they build in loyalty and those older folks have not been on other cruise lines to compare- they just accept this attitude and non communication as part of cruising.  There are too many great cruise lines in the water and too many new ships to put up with this sort of attitude and service.  Good luck making your decision.

Onward is not brand new. It’s a 20 year old or so vessel that’s been refurbished but is still having issues worked on during sailings. 
I’ve not sailed on O. I meet people on Azamara who say that A is far better and at the next table will be those critical of A citing O as best experience ever. 
We are driven by itinerary, size of vessel and our perception of value in our choices nowadays. O has not made a shortlist yet

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dive4pam said:

I just want to clarify, because it's not entirely clear, and won't be at all clear to anyone reading this post in isolation... Can you confirm that the first half of your post (I've highlighted in blue above) relates to Azamara, and the second half (in red) to Oceania?