Yummy snacks in the bar?

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I was told by head of housekeeping that the railings are the most sanitized items on the ship

Perfectly sanitized for about 5 minutes and then touched by someone else.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, Ret MP said:

I'm usually hypercritical of removing things.  Especially that are/were customary, like nuts and pretzels on a bar.  BUT, I was never a big fan of reaching into a bowl of nuts, chips, pretzels, or popcorn that just about everybody else reaches into with their bare hands just after leaving the restroom, picking their nose, scratching, never mind.  I say, "good riddance".  Individual packets would be fine and appreciated, though.

As a nurse, I would always pass on those shared bowls for all the same reason.  Covid put and end to that completely.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fredmdcruisers said:

No, but I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night. Although anyone who lived thru Covid should know what I said is true. Without using a sanitizing agent, wiping only spreads diseases. 

Pretty sure it is a sanitizing solution. They now have seperate teams for that, but they wete doing it pre covid as well.

Don't feel bad, but I trust what I was told over your musings.

• Haha 1

My only serious comment about this sanitizing thing is that we need to get over it and just get back to the old routine and accept that we have to live with this new common cold called COVID.  Some precautions?  Of course.  I take some precautions for the common cold.  

That being said, a cruise ship is a little different than your local hotel/restaurant.  The cruise industry was under heavy scrutiny long before COVID came along, remember Legionnaires Disease?  Some people believe a cruise ship is a petri dish of disease/virus, then and now. I don't disagree but I don't think it is as bad as some would like us to think. 

I don't want to stick my head in the ground.  But, I would like the whole conversation of masking, shots, which ports require this or that, sanitizing, and testing to go by the wayside.  It's a source of divide.  Innocent comments get deleted without explanation and so on.  We have enough to disagree with.  I'm so over it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 1/21/2023 at 3:56 AM, Tlbecker1 said:

We have been offered nuts in the Schooner bar each night on the Radiance for the last 2 weeks.  They bring out separate glass carafes to each table.

Yep- this is what they used to do in the Vikings crow lounge.  If I remember, I’ll ask on Navigator 🙂

7 hours ago, Ret MP said:

My only serious comment about this sanitizing thing is that we need to get over it and just get back to the old routine and accept that we have to live with this new common cold called COVID.  Some precautions?  Of course.  I take some precautions for the common cold.  

That being said, a cruise ship is a little different than your local hotel/restaurant.  The cruise industry was under heavy scrutiny long before COVID came along, remember Legionnaires Disease?  Some people believe a cruise ship is a petri dish of disease/virus, then and now. I don't disagree but I don't think it is as bad as some would like us to think. 

I don't want to stick my head in the ground.  But, I would like the whole conversation of masking, shots, which ports require this or that, sanitizing, and testing to go by the wayside.  It's a source of divide.  Innocent comments get deleted without explanation and so on.  We have enough to disagree with.  I'm so over it.

It's not COVID you need to worry about. It's NORO.

You ever experience a NORO cruise? It's not pretty

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

It's not COVID you need to worry about. It's NORO.

You ever experience a NORO cruise? It's not pretty

I don't believe I have.  But, while in the Army for 20+ years I was exposed to a lot of things that I have no idea what they were and got very sick from.  It never changed how I lived my life though, nor do I think the general public should.  I'm not risk adverse.  I'll cruise with very little precautions.  Just don't try to feed me Fish Tacos and/or Liver & Onions.  

But, I'm trying to divorce myself from these kind of discussions and I've said what I have to say.

12 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

I don't believe I have.  But, while in the Army for 20+ years I was exposed to a lot of things that I have no idea what they were and got very sick from.  It never changed how I lived my life though, nor do I think the general public should.  I'm not risk adverse.  I'll cruise with very little precautions.  Just don't try to feed me Fish Tacos and/or Liver & Onions.  

But, I'm trying to divorce myself from these kind of discussions and I've said what I have to say.

NORO is spread much easier by touch.

When they hit around 3% of the entire passenger and cruise load, the ship goes NORO protocol. Our Oasis cruise did that in January 2019. 

Jamaica and Cozumel would not let us debark. Treated like a plague ship.  Ended up going back to PC a day early. Crazy. Luckily we hung out in CK/SL as much as we could and avoided the general public.

My point is, Royal has been dealing with sanitizing surfaces for ages

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, John&LaLa said:

Yes, I know.  That's why I mentioned Legionnaires Disease, "The cruise industry was under heavy scrutiny long before COVID came along, remember Legionnaires Disease?  

My point is I, that's me, me only, want to get away from discussing this topic or COVID/Medical in general, it is a no win situation especially in a social media site that doesn't allow in-depth discussion from one side or the other.  

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

NORO is spread much easier by touch.

When they hit around 3% of the entire passenger and cruise load, the ship goes NORO protocol. Our Oasis cruise did that in January 2019. 

Jamaica and Cozumel would not let us debark. Treated like a plague ship.  Ended up going back to PC a day early. Crazy. Luckily we hung out in CK/SL as much as we could and avoided the general public.

How silly to assume that just because they have been dealing with Noro, Covid and respiratory problems forever that sanitizing procedures are being dealt with properly. The proper sanitizing procedures might be in a manual in the office, but if no one is training staff and following up to see the procedures are being followed then anything can happen... and does!

During 21 days on the Explorer, I observed:

1.) Stair railings wiped top to bottom with a green rag. Sure their is a pail with spray bottles, but they sit it down and proceed down several floors then back up the other side wiping with the same rag back up to the pail. No supervision. 

2.) Similar procedures for outside railings. No spray bottle in hand and no buckets in sight.

3.) On more than one occasion I saw gloved employees enter restroom, use the urinal with gloves on and leave the restroom without washing hands.

4.) Probably 1/3 of passengers walk into Windjammer without washing hands. The staff there are busy singing songs and making people laugh instead of enforcing the rules. The ones they did stop would say "I was just in the bathroom" or "I'm just going to the bar" and continue to the buffet line.

Knowing the proper procedures and making sure they are enforced are two different things.

2 hours ago, fredmdcruisers said:

How silly to assume that just because they have been dealing with Noro, Covid and respiratory problems forever that sanitizing procedures are being dealt with properly. The proper sanitizing procedures might be in a manual in the office, but if no one is training staff and following up to see the procedures are being followed then anything can happen... and does!

During 21 days on the Explorer, I observed:

1.) Stair railings wiped top to bottom with a green rag. Sure their is a pail with spray bottles, but they sit it down and proceed down several floors then back up the other side wiping with the same rag back up to the pail. No supervision. 

2.) Similar procedures for outside railings. No spray bottle in hand and no buckets in sight.

3.) On more than one occasion I saw gloved employees enter restroom, use the urinal with gloves on and leave the restroom without washing hands.

4.) Probably 1/3 of passengers walk into Windjammer without washing hands. The staff there are busy singing songs and making people laugh instead of enforcing the rules. The ones they did stop would say "I was just in the bathroom" or "I'm just going to the bar" and continue to the buffet line.

Knowing the proper procedures and making sure they are enforced are two different things.

Sad that those were probably the highlights of your 3 week holiday

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Sad that those were probably the highlights of your 3 week holiday

Why be rude? You said Royal has experience. I countered that without training and follow-up the knowledge is useless. The tread wasn't about the highlights of my cruise. Did you want to hear about those? Or just being an.

8 hours ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Why be rude? You said Royal has experience. I countered that without training and follow-up the knowledge is useless. The tread wasn't about the highlights of my cruise. Did you want to hear about those? Or just being an.

By all means, start a thread on your positive experiences and wait for the peanut gallery to attack😉

• Like 1