Hi! New to Celebrity :) Excursion question :))

GlamO

Hello everyone, I just booked our family's first Celebrity cruise. We have a wait until our cruise in December, but I was browsing some of the excursions and was surprised to see one was sold out already. I was wondering how far in advance you would advise to book excursions? I had thought I might wait until the week of the cruise so I would know more about the weather situation but don't want to risk things being sold out. Thanks :) 

36 minutes ago, GlamO said:

Hello everyone, I just booked our family's first Celebrity cruise. We have a wait until our cruise in December, but I was browsing some of the excursions and was surprised to see one was sold out already. I was wondering how far in advance you would advise to book excursions? I had thought I might wait until the week of the cruise so I would know more about the weather situation but don't want to risk things being sold out. Thanks 🙂

I would book as soon as possible. Depending on the time of year, destination and popularity the excursion you want may fill up. Also, Celebrity may give discounts for bookings prior to departure. 

• Like 1

But if it fills up, just conduct a search online and book a similar tour with another quality operator.  Typically the tour you book online will be smaller and less expensive.  And yes, you will get back to the ship in plenty of time.  95% of the tours I book have been booked online.

Edited by CaribbeanBound
  • Like 1

On 1/22/2023 at 2:05 PM, GlamO said:

Hello everyone, I just booked our family's first Celebrity cruise. We have a wait until our cruise in December, but I was browsing some of the excursions and was surprised to see one was sold out already. I was wondering how far in advance you would advise to book excursions? I had thought I might wait until the week of the cruise so I would know more about the weather situation but don't want to risk things being sold out. Thanks 🙂

Check out the Roll Call for your cruise there may well be fellow passengers organising private tours who are looking for people to join them.

Also check out private guides. Lots of companies provide this service (for example Toursbylocals), look for ones that give full refunds if the ship doesn't dock. 

• Like 2

On 1/23/2023 at 1:05 AM, GlamO said:

I had thought I might wait until the week of the cruise so I would know more about the weather situation but don't want to risk things being sold out.

It isn’t just availability to worry about, prices can and do change considerably…

Between booking our excursions 7 months before sailing and the last week, most of our excursions more than doubled in price, even after allowing for the ‘sales’…

If a price falls, you can always cancel and rebook at the lower price. 

I always book it as soon as possible.   You can always cancel them within cancellation period for a quick refund to original form of payment - OBC or CC.

On many cruises the  excursions with limited spaces sell quick.  Sometimes they add additional tours

1 hour ago, the penguins said:

Check out the Roll Call for your cruise there may well be fellow passengers organising private tours who are looking for people to join them.

Also check out private guides. Lots of companies provide this service (for example Toursbylocals), look for ones that give full refunds if the ship doesn't dock. 

I much prefer private tours with roll call, they are smaller groups, less expensive, I find most tours by most cruise lines ripoffs. 

• Like 1

On 1/22/2023 at 1:04 PM, gfkcruiser said:

If you book and later change your mind for whatever reason, can cancel and get refunded.  Note that must cancel prior by 24 or 48 hours (can't recall which it is.)  Also if price goes down and cancel and rebook.

Cancel up to 48 hours in advance.  I just booked an excursion and that was in the booking details. 🙂

15 hours ago, the penguins said:

Good advice, we are to the point where we no longer want excursions that are long bus rides with 30 strangers. We now prefer small private tours. In September on the Apex we are doing all private tours for our group of 4 and in most cases they are less cost than the ship offered ones. We are doing an 8 hour private tour in Lisbon in a minivan that is half the cost of a similar Celebrity tour. Most private tours will refund if the ship misses a port or there are weather cancelations and they will guarantee getting back to the ship before the ship leaves port.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 2

My DH and I no longer go on ship sponsored tours.  Hate waiting on line for the late people- dislike craming into buses, especially now.  We do prefer an independent tour or a small private ship sponsored tour.  Depending upon the country, can be risky to take an independent tour.  If the tour comes back late- the ship might leave if not ship sponsored.

4 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

My DH and I no longer go on ship sponsored tours.  Hate waiting on line for the late people- dislike craming into buses, especially now.  We do prefer an independent tour or a small private ship sponsored tour.  Depending upon the country, can be risky to take an independent tour.  If the tour comes back late- the ship might leave if not ship sponsored.

The ship does not guarantee to wait if you are on a ship's excursion. What it actually guarantees is to get you to the next port if you are late back and miss the ship. Other companies, for example Toursbylocals, gives the same guarantee in the price.

Besides, if ANY reputable firm fails to get you back to the ship in time then THAT will be one of the last tours they ever do since word will quickly spread.  It (failing to make it back to the ship in time) just doesn't happen with quality companies that have a history of conducting tours in that city.  Just do your research, opt for the earlier tours, don't gamble on unproven companies or extra long tours, and you'll be fine!