Reduced port stays

NYAS

21 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Unfortunately, sometimes things that are pure speculation are presented as facts.

Considering the level of negativity and constant criticism that comes from some members, I'm not sure what they even do here? There are plenty of alternatives.. 

+1!

2 hours ago, susiesan said:

That's a big letdown We stopped in Gdansk from an NCL cruise last August and loved that city. What reason is given? for the change?

The email said "To accommodate operational needs, please note the call to Gdansk, Poland, has been replaced with Ronne, Denmark."

15 minutes ago, cruiseforward9 said:

The email said "To accommodate operational needs, please note the call to Gdansk, Poland, has been replaced with Ronne, Denmark."

Ok.  However, how about transparency. Why haven’t I ever heard “accommodate operational needs” in the last 16 years cruising only O?  Why so many cancelled ports across all O ships last several months. It’s not an occasional change.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, cruiseforward9 said:

Our September Baltics:  Gdansk was replaced with Ronne  and   Ronne replace with Warnemunde - Stockholm was shortened, yet again to 9:15am - 4pm - same reason given 🤦‍♀️

Trying to be postive about it but Stockholm and Gdansk were two reasons in choosing this itinerary. 

50 minutes ago, Tyskie said:

Our September Baltics:  Gdansk was replaced with Ronne  and   Ronne replace with Warnemunde - Stockholm was shortened, yet again to 9:15am - 4pm - same reason given 🤦‍♀️

Trying to be postive about it but Stockholm and Gdansk were two reasons in choosing this itinerary. 

I was all ready to offer this excuse about Gdansk to Ronne: the huge Gdynia shipyard might be rolling out a ship or bringing one in (Gdynia also being the cruise port). Or too many ships in port. But cutting Stockholm twice??? Huh. That city deserves an overnight. And Ronne to Warnemunde (the Berlin jump off)? Nein! (Though Rostock is a sweet little local town to visit, instead of that long train ride.) What you're starting to get here is the same Baltic itinerary of all the other cruise lines.

If your insurance allows it, maybe switch to another ship with the original itinerary? It's one thing to have to change the itinerary last minute, but 7 months in advance is NOT offering the same product that was promised.

Edited by sofietucker
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, sofietucker said:

I was all ready to offer this excuse about Gdansk to Ronne: the huge Gdynia shipyard might be rolling out a ship or bringing one in (Gdynia also being the cruise port). Or too many ships in port. But cutting Stockholm twice??? Huh. That city deserves an overnight. And Ronne to Warnemunde (the Berlin jump off)? Nein! (Though Rostock is a sweet little local town to visit, instead of that long train ride.) What you're starting to get here is the same Baltic itinerary of all the other cruise lines.

If your insurance allows it, maybe switch to another ship with the original itinerary? It's one thing to have to change the itinerary last minute, but 7 months in advance is NOT offering the same product that was promised.

7 months in advance they can cancel with no penalty, so what's the issue?

• Like 1

On 3/29/2023 at 9:30 AM, susiesan said:

Here's an example of a private tour:

I've arranged a tour to Granada to visit the Alhambra during my upcoming Sirena cruise, Sept. 4.

There will be 14 people from the roll call. We are being picked up at Motril, bus to Granada, guided walking tour of the Alhambra, back to the ship. 7 hours total, 99euros per person.

Oceania is offering the same excursion for these prices:

Tour Pricing
$259.00

UPC
$109.00

YWC
$194.25

The exact same tour, probably operated by the same company, Spain Day Tours.

Have you been on a tour with Spain Day Tours? 

11 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

7 months in advance they can cancel with no penalty, so what's the issue?

Of course. But my point being that it's a bait and switch. In my case, we wouldn't be able to cancel--even 7 months out--as one upcoming cruise is a replacement for a fully paid one they cancelled during covid. TA said once it's locked in, that's it... However, I do think there would still be grounds to cancel if they make major advance changes in the itinerary. It's literally false advertising of a different product.

• Like 2

On 3/30/2023 at 2:42 PM, osandomir said:

It was reported that Oceania postponed summer 2025 release until September. My guess is that with the inflation like now they don’t want to offer cruises so far in advance at the current prices. Just another indicator - the prices will go up.

Interesting how people are talking about prices going up, but pretty much anything not selling in the next 6 months seems to have had the Ultimate added to it. In the past month I have received 4 mailers printed up for the Ultimate itineraries. In the past these would only be a notice from a TA, not a special printed mailer. This tells me they are having trouble filling their itineraries. I could be wrong. 

• Like 2

I agree with the above. I rushed to book cruises when they first came out, now I see almost everything is still available. That worries me. 

As for shortened port stays, we are presently on a Viking cruise, using up covid credits.  While waiting for this Viking cruise, we sailed on 3 O cruises. There is absolutely no comparison in any areas. I don't understand how O is not # ONE in all categories.

Back to shortened port times, on this Viking cruise, there are 2 ports, a transatlantic cruise. When we booked it, the two ports, st Martin and madeira were full day. It has been shortened to half a day in st Martin and in Madeira today we had to be on a shuttle no later than 11:45 AM....outrageous....

The only conclusion I can come to is that V is not having to pay for a full day of port charges.

We have 6, O cruises going forward and hope that O stays strong. I have been Os champion for the last 10 days on this V cruise.

Everyone I talked to, has not sailed on O, perhaps some will now broaden their horizons.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sofietucker said:

Of course. But my point being that it's a bait and switch. In my case, we wouldn't be able to cancel--even 7 months out--as one upcoming cruise is a replacement for a fully paid one they cancelled during covid. TA said once it's locked in, that's it... However, I do think there would still be grounds to cancel if they make major advance changes in the itinerary. It's literally false advertising of a different product.

When most people can still cancel,  i just don't see how this is bait and switch. 

1 hour ago, sofietucker said:

I thought all the ones cancelled by covid & got an FCC  that you had to sail by Dec 2022??

Was yours  a different situation?? 

For me, I would expect that the itinerary (bait) of a cruise I booked would remain the same until I board. If at that part a port or two must be changed, or shortened, well one assumes there are (valid, sudden) operational reasons. But if a number of ports--that is, the product I have arranged to buy--begin to be changed out, then to my mind that is a switch, after I had taken the bait of a particular itinerary.

Frankly there have been some alarming experiences described on these pages of port changes and shortened times--some announced beforehand, some additional changes on those same cruises "published" ahead (on the itinerary page online) but not directly communicated to the passengers, and others only after boarding--that are disturbing. I feel I need to daily keep an eye on our listed port times to see if there will be additional changes.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I thought all the ones cancelled by covid & got an FCC  that you had to sail by Dec 2022??

Was yours  a different situation?? 

Yes. We got the time extended. I thought they did that across the board.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Tyskie said:

I was booked on this cruise.  When they shortened Stockholm the first time, I knew I wanted more time there.  I canceled.  Instead, I'm flying into Stockholm for 3 nights, then flying to Tallinn for a land tour that ends in Warsaw.  Following that tour, I'll do my own solo travel through Poland before flying home.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ORV said:

Interesting how people are talking about prices going up, but pretty much anything not selling in the next 6 months seems to have had the Ultimate added to it. In the past month I have received 4 mailers printed up for the Ultimate itineraries. In the past these would only be a notice from a TA, not a special printed mailer. This tells me they are having trouble filling their itineraries. I could be wrong. 

I don't think you are wrong ORV.  I was commenting to DH this week that in all our years of cruising with O (2013) I have never seen the amount of cruises that have the OLife Ultimate benefit attached. 

With that being said, along with the shortening of port times and other negative issues that are constantly being discussed on CC, I believe the cruise lines are in trouble, with huge debt as well as new ships being built, they are doing everything they can to survive.   

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, alaskaca said:

With that being said, along with the shortening of port times and other negative issues that are constantly being discussed on CC, I believe the cruise lines are in trouble, with huge debt as well as new ships being built, they are doing everything they can to survive.

The OLife Ultimate is a less expensive O sale option as compared to the 2-3 category upgrades previously offered by O. Getting a PH3 for cost of A1 far better than 3 OLife amenities.

Agree cruise lines are still suffering the shutdown, however, they need to give passengers what they booked. We need to make an informed decision when we travel. 

• Like 3

I'm on a cruise in August that is still showing quite a bit of availability.   OLife Ultimate has not been added to it and the price is higher than when I booked it last year.  Port times have been slightly reduced since I booked it. I have no idea how they decide which cruises will have benefits attached to it if it's not selling well. 

17 hours ago, ak1004 said:

When most people can still cancel,  i just don't see how this is bait and switch. 

It depends upon whether they have bought and paid for their own air. Cancellation may not be so simple even at seven months pre cruise.

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, sunlover12 said:

I'm on a cruise in August that is still showing quite a bit of availability....

Though where is this cruise? Since kids don't go back to school until late Aug or Sept and that is summer months, prime vacation season. Esp. in Europe.

1 hour ago, MEFIowa said:

Though where is this cruise? Since kids don't go back to school until late Aug or Sept and that is summer months, prime vacation season. Esp. in Europe.

In the signature: Nautica, Mediterranean, 2023. On the bright side, unlike Riviera and Marina, the itineraries for the smaller ships seem to have retained the Adriatic ports and Venice (so far!).

2 minutes ago, sofietucker said:

In the signature: Nautica, Mediterranean, 2023. On the bright side, unlike Riviera and Marina, the itineraries for the smaller ships seem to have retained the Adriatic ports and Venice (so far!).

We're doing Riviera Trieste (Venice) to Athens (10/30-11/9) and then Athens to Barcelona (11/9-19). 20 night B2B with just 2 sea days. I hate sea days. I cruise for ports & excursions. Since this is off-season, both cruises had been on the 20th Anniversary & the Ultimate, with the 2nd also having been on a cabin-upgrade sale in 2022 (we upgraded from a C to B4). Keep hoping the first segment will be on a cabin-upgrade sale, so we could go from our F to a C or B.

5 hours ago, YoPhilly said:

I was booked on this cruise.  When they shortened Stockholm the first time, I knew I wanted more time there.  I canceled.  Instead, I'm flying into Stockholm for 3 nights, then flying to Tallinn for a land tour that ends in Warsaw.  Following that tour, I'll do my own solo travel through Poland before flying home.  

Yes, I remember seeing you on the roll call and then your "goodbye" lol

Good for you! 

We're at the point with air already booked, trying to change wouldn't be worth it.  Sad about Stockholm as my Grandfather immigrated from there.  DH family is from Poland with many relatives still there - one of the young cousins from the States is in University Warsaw.

Hopefully, if we have the chance to go to Europe again, we can do exactly as you are doing - concentrate on 2 areas.  Have a great trip!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ORV said:

Have you been on a tour with Spain Day Tours? 

No, not yet. Someone I met on the Dec. Marina cruise toured with them last April to Granada and recommended them. I have 13 people signed up from the roll call. As the first-in-groupr of the tour I am free. If 2 more people sign up my husband will be free. Sweet deal.

Spain Day Tours: We've used them 5-6 times across Spain and Portugal and always found them excellent. Small groups, fluent in English, very knowledgeable AND enthusiastic. Their sister/parent company, Day Tours, did a very nice job in Monaco and Nice. 8 of us in a van. Ditto in Italy, to Siena and San Gmigniano (sp?).

That being said, we tried to hire them for a day in A Coruna next month (Campostela) and everyone on our roll call had trouble getting in touch with them. Maybe due to the pandemic and staffing? I think it was weeks later--even a month--before we heard from them. Chose to cancel. YMMV, of course.