No mobile phone

Tablelamp

Yes, I have an IPad but part of my holiday is “I don’t need to think ahead’”.  There was never any need to book anything other than a restaurant ahead on Ventura.  I come out from dinner and then decide if I want to go to the theatre or not.  I suppose this type of relaxed cruise is now a thing of the past.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Tablelamp said:

Yes, I have an IPad but part of my holiday is “I don’t need to think ahead’”.  There was never any need to book anything other than a restaurant ahead on Ventura.  I come out from dinner and then decide if I want to go to the theatre or not.  I suppose this type of relaxed cruise is now a thing of the past.

The world is moving that way. I have a relaxing holiday and use the app to enhance the pleasure. You aren't forced to take your phone..oh! You haven't got one.🤔

If you are meaning to book shows as well as restaurants, I can't say how it will be done on Ventura but on Aurora last August/September you could just walk in to the theatre etc. Members of the Entertainment staff recorded your cabin number on a tablet at the entrance.

Thank you so much.  Trouble is, as you get older, technology moves on without you and I really don’t want to spend my time queuing at reception because I cannot manage the technology.  I appreciate that I may need to book for a speciality restaurant but have never had to do so for a show.

The food in the MDR has always been excellent so using a specialty restaurant will be my choice not a necessity.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tablelamp said:

Thank you so much.  Trouble is, as you get older, technology moves on without you and I really don’t want to spend my time queuing at reception because I cannot manage the technology.  I appreciate that I may need to book for a speciality restaurant but have never had to do so for a show.

The food in the MDR has always been excellent so using a specialty restaurant will be my choice not a necessity.

It's a funny old world.

Here you are saying you cannot manage technology but here I see you've made 707 comments which, to the best of my knowledge, can only be made using modern internet technology.

😃 Enjoy Ventura. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Tablelamp said:

With P&O it appears to be, but fortunately not with (some) other cruise lines. I did 2 ocean cruises (with different companies) plus a river cruise last year and on none of them was I asked to use my mobile phone onboard. Nor was I required to book anything onboard other than speciality restaurants.

• Like 4

You can still book some shows and speciality dining before you leave, via your cruise personaliser using the computer. I believe this is from 2 weeks before you sail. 

This might be a better option for you so that you know you have at least something booked. 

• Like 1

Jean,

How do you manage to do this NEW thing and book for the theatre.  We never had to do so before.  I suppose on the Iona and Arvia it might be necessary, they are so huge, more like a block of flats.

Well I see it's not necessary on Aurora.  Haven't cruises since Covid started, as ours kept getting moved.  We are on Club Dining, so no need for the app and we shall simply go to the theatre.  If we can't get in, won't matter.  I don't have a problem with technology, but if I don't have to use it I won't.

Edited by jeanlyon
  • Like 4

Jean,

I shall do exactly the same and am also on Club dining.  So here is my plan, come out from dinner, if I fancy the theatre I shall walk along.  If I can get in, I’ll do so,  if I can’t I won’t.  To be honest, I don’t really have a problem with simple technology, but would prefer not to bother with it when I’m on holiday.  I’m also an Aurora girl but haven’t cruised since before Covid.  Am on the Ventura at the beginning of March for 35 nights.  Christine

Edited by Tablelamp
Mistake
  • Like 3

Tablelamp and Jeanlyon

My wife and I have just returned from the Arvia transatlantic and found that the web page (it's not an app) wasn't worth the pixels on the screen it was displayed on (in the good old days this would be the paper it was written on!).

On boarding it appeared that the "5AM towel on the sunbed blockers" had been in action on their computers before leaving home as every restaurant and show was fully booked unless you were a party of 6 or above.

On many occasions we would just turn up at a venue to find that many of the bookings were no shows and we would be seated straight away or within 10 - 15 minutes.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Jean,

I shall do exactly the same and am also on Club dining.  So here is my plan, come out from dinner, if I fancy the theatre I shall walk along.  If I can get in, I’ll do so,  if I can’t I won’t.  To be honest, I don’t really have a problem with simple technology, but would prefer not to bother with it when I’m on holiday.  I’m also an Aurora girl but haven’t cruised since before Covid.  Am on the Ventura at the beginning of March for 35 nights.  Christine

Yep, and from what I am reading on FB, it works fine and not a problem.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

It's a funny old world.

Here you are saying you cannot manage technology but here I see you've made 707 comments which, to the best of my knowledge, can only be made using modern internet technology.

😃 Enjoy Ventura. 

Be fair! It’s very different at home, using your desktop or laptop, with a secure and reliable connection. Very different onboard when you have hotspots and notspots or when your phone doesn’t connect for some reason or another. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

If you don't want to use your phone, you can still call the My Holiday Experience line (reception) and they will book restaurants, shows etc in advance.

If you want to do it on the night, approach the podium or entertainment venue and someone should be on the door with a tablet to assist you.

Finally, across days one and two, there are extra pop-up podiums around the atriums and photoshops where people can assist

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Tablelamp said:

Jean,

To be honest it’s really simple to use the app on board, so would definitely advise giving it a go

16 hours ago, Ardennais said:

Be fair! It’s very different at home, using your desktop or laptop, with a secure and reliable connection. Very different onboard when you have hotspots and notspots or when your phone doesn’t connect for some reason or another. 

That's going off track @Ardennais.

Judging by the live reports coming from P&O cruise ships on facebook I'd say the majority aren't experiencing the problems you mention. While on a recent Iona cruise there was no problem making onboard bookings because the system works on the ship's wifi network and is not reliant on connectivity to the internet.

Funny how most don't have these problems.  But hey, its your holiday and how you enjoy it is your choice. 

Have a nice day.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Solent Richard said:

Judging by the live reports coming from P&O cruise ships on facebook I'd say the majority aren't experiencing the problems you mention. While on a recent Iona cruise there was no problem making onboard bookings because the system works on the ship's wifi network and is not reliant on connectivity to the internet.

Funny how most don't have these problems.  But hey, its your holiday and how you enjoy it is your choice. 

Have a nice day.

I’ll certainly be giving it a go on Iona next month and hoping indeed that I don’t experience any problems. I’ll report back afterwards!

2 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

Have a nice day.

No, I didn’t go off track.

There are two issues as I see it anyway. 

One - how confident/competent is the passenger in using mobile technology, and to what extent does he/she have the required hardware?

Two - does the so-called app behave itself and work in all areas of the ship?

Now you might not have had any problems. Good. You say that the vast majority haven’t had any problems. Good. (But we must be careful when looking at P&O’s own definition of vast majority as per Paul Ludlow’s statement following the Arvia maiden!). I will be sailing on Iona next month and I also hope that I don’t encounter any real problems with the booking system. Small niggles I can cope with, they wouldn’t spoil my holiday. 

I fully sympathise with the posters who are evidently worrying about the app etc. They all want to enjoy their holiday. 

• Like 8