Prima MDR Menu update :(

laudergayle

1 hour ago, PATRLR said:

Hmmm.... Could it be that this is the real reason Beef Wellington is gone?  It's simply more expensive to prepare than they want to spend on MDR meals?  Just one more case of NCL nickle and diming from the cost side of the ledger?

Pretty much, but saying they are doing it to nickel and dime us is simplifying things. When you have labor shortages AND high ingredient costs for a certain dish,  you adjust your menu accordingly. 

The most amazing dish on paper is useless if your staff can't execute it properly.  When you have labor storages you run into that problem. Nor do they want to waste costly ingredients on poor outcomes.

I'm a filet girl. I love beef wellington, but I understand the struggles chefs around the world. Menus are being adjusted everywhere right now, not just NCL.

Edited by sailorusvi
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Gosh,,, they added Fish and Chips. Removed a Wellington. Added 3 Cagney's steaks for entrees. I think you are a +3 on the entrée count. 

Gosh, they added 3 Cagney's steaks for entrees to main dining room menu for costs of $20, $15 and $10.  Yes, far less expensive than paying to eat in Cagney's but how about having some good food options included in the basic cruise fare.

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Nope. Why provision and cook something that sells a few orders a night. This has always been NCL philosophy. Even with the old MDR menus (which are on every other ship). If something isn't selling, they 86 it from the menu. Very Smart Business. 

And you know they only sell a few orders a night how?   

Maybe that is the reason.  But if that is the case, then only prepare one Wellington if one is all you need.  (I highly doubt that is the case).  Instead of preparing just what they need, they remove what is probably the most expensive dish on the menu.  You are kidding yourself if you don't think the cost was the motivation.

You do you Bird and think that the Wellington is gone because no one ordered it.  I'll continue to believe it's because it's too expensive for an MDR entrée.

44 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Gosh,,, they added Fish and Chips. Removed a Wellington. Added 3 Cagney's steaks for entrees. I think you are a +3 on the entrée count. 

In the MDR I'm only interested in what I can get with no upcharge.  They removed the most expensive item and replaced it with is likely one of the cheapest (I'm sure it's frozen fish and chips - there's no way they are back there hand battering fresh filets)

31 minutes ago, sailorusvi said:

Pretty much, but saying they are doing it to nickel and dime us is simplifying things. When you have labor shortages AND high ingredient costs for a certain dish,  you adjust your menu accordingly. 

The most amazing dish on paper is useless if your staff can't execute it properly.  When you have labor storages you run into that problem. Nor do they want to waste costly ingredients on poor outcomes.

This is the first I've heard that the problem is they can't prepare it properly.  I agree, if they can't prepare it properly it shouldn't be on the menu.  Never should have been on the menu - Prima menu is less than a year old, the labor issues aren't that new.  

Sorry, I have my doubts that it got removed for labor issues.

Edited by PATRLR
  • Like 5

27 minutes ago, sailorusvi said:

I'm a filet girl. I love beef wellington, but I understand the struggles chefs around the world. Menus are being adjusted everywhere right now, not just NCL.

Fair comment if labor issue and execution was the cause of the menu change.  Offering a filet without an upcharge would have been an appropriate solution. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

And you know they only sell a few orders a night how?   

Maybe that is the reason.  But if that is the case, then only prepare one Wellington if one is all you need.  (I highly doubt that is the case).  Instead of preparing just what they need, they remove what is probably the most expensive dish on the menu.  You are kidding yourself if you don't think the cost was the motivation.

You do you Bird and think that the Wellington is gone because no one ordered it.  I'll continue to believe it's because it's too expensive for an MDR entrée.

In the MDR I'm only interested in what I can get with no upcharge.  They removed the most expensive item and replaced it with is likely one of the cheapest (I'm sure it's frozen fish and chips - there's no way they are back there hand battering fresh filets)

This is the first I've heard that the problem is they can't prepare it properly.  I agree, if they can't prepare it properly it shouldn't be on the menu.  Never should have been on the menu - Prima menu is less than a year old, the labor issues aren't that new.  

Sorry, I have my doubts that it got removed for labor issues.

There are lot of comments on here about stewards and waitstaff appearing to be overworked.  Making menu changes and cutting outlet hours,  I have to assume labor shortages are also impacting the back of the house also. I know a lot of restaurants on land that are having back of the house labor shortages, can't see why NCL would be any different.    

On another note, the  wellington being removed could be for a variety of reason: not selling, chef likes to change up the menu every now and then, too costly to make, too labor intensive to make, combination of the above. 

56 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

But also gone is sweet potato fries, loaded baked potato, Mac n cheese and creamed spinach.   
Wording in the pasta too.  Looks like certain sauces go with certain noodles now.  They really hyped that pasta too with all the combinations available.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, rxlowry said:

But also gone is sweet potato fries, loaded baked potato, Mac n cheese and creamed spinach.   
Wording in the pasta too.  Looks like certain sauces go with certain noodles now.  They really hyped that pasta too with all the combinations available.  

Good catch on the pasta! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Diver2014 said:

We're on Prima in July coming up.  Menu looks good to me.  Of course, any menu with Creme Brulee for dessert looks good to me.  

For me, it’s more about what I was seeing/looking forward to when we booked and made final payment vs. what it will be when we cruise in April. Especially since Prima rates were running higher than older ships. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

For me, it’s more about what I was seeing/looking forward to when we booked and made final payment vs. what it will be when we cruise in April. Especially since Prima rates were running higher than older ships. 

Exactly...they hyped a few things on this ship and one by one seem to be removing or replacing them. Seems a bit early to be doing that since this ship has barely been cruising. And yes, the price is considerably higher than the other ships...why is that? I can't begin to speculate the why's and where for's but since we will not be on Prima till May, I am anticipating more and more changes. It is what it is so I won't be letting it spoil my time.  

Edited by uneamie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

Rates on new ships are always more than on old ships, it’s been that way for the 20 years I’ve been cruising NCL. In addition menus have changed every 4 to 6 months during that time and will continue to do so. 

1 hour ago, rxlowry said:

I would be very surprised if you can't get whatever combination you want.  They certainly are holding the pasta and sauces separately so what would be the point in not allowing different combos?  That's just more potential for waste.

2 hours ago, kjquilts said:

Gosh, they added 3 Cagney's steaks for entrees to main dining room menu for costs of $20, $15 and $10.  Yes, far less expensive than paying to eat in Cagney's but how about having some good food options included in the basic cruise fare.

The MDR menu on the Prima is much more expansive than other ships. So there are good food options included in the basic cruise fare. Yes???

5 minutes ago, SplashOfWater said:

This looks like the menu we had earlier this month. I enjoyed the seafood paella and my husband really liked the short ribs (sorry, no photo).

20230113_172732.jpg

Yum . Thanks for posting picture.  DH will enjoy that. And I’ve been eying the short ribs.  Hope this what we can expect in April.

Edited by laudergayle
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, uneamie said:

And yes, the price is considerably higher than the other ships...why is that? 

Because it is new and the demand for being on the new ship is high, so they can command premium fare. Same with every other cruise line. New ships $$$$. Old ships $. 

Exact same reason that every cruise line can command a premium fare for Alaska. 

Edited by BirdTravels

2 hours ago, rxlowry said:

Yup. Likely items that were sporadically ordered and items that mostly ended up in the trash every night. Like I said, I have had conversations with executive chefs on many ships and they all will tell you that is the #1 reason an item leaves the menu is that very few people order them. 

The other reason is cited on another thread, supply chain challenges where they can not get the products... and I can see that could be any of the cited items.  

We will be going on a 10 day Iceland cruise at the end of May and this will be our first NCL cruise. I chose it for the itinerary and because it was a new ship. We are platinum on DCL. It really seems like based on what has been described on these boards that there has been a pattern of taking things away since I booked the cruise. I also have an upcoming DCL cruise, and while there may have been a couple of changes since I booked, I have not seen this pattern described here on the DCL board.

My daughter is really disappointed in the change to the side items. There were some really interesting sides like the sweet potato fries. This can get really boring over 10 days. I know I have the option of booking more specialty restaurants, but I really didn't want to have to pay more upcharges. I'll reserve my final judgement until after the cruise, but all of these changes aren't encouraging me to book more on NCL at the moment.

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, anjuan said:

....My daughter is really disappointed in the change to the side items. There were some really interesting sides like the sweet potato fries. This can get really boring over 10 days. I know I have the option of booking more specialty restaurants, but I really didn't want to have to pay more upcharges. I'll reserve my final judgement until after the cruise, but all of these changes aren't encouraging me to book more on NCL at the moment.

We were on an Eleven Day Prima and expected to have dinner in the MDR several times.  I'm encouraging you to research the complimentary dining options on Prima.  The Indulge Food hall was never boring with many interesting options to try and all are complimentary.

We did enjoy the MDR and the large choice of menu items, however we were surprised to find we ate more at Indulge Food Hall and The Local than the MDR.   (The soup of the day options in The Local were delicious!)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Because it is new and the demand for being on the new ship is high, so they can command premium fare. Same with every other cruise line. New ships $$$$. Old ships $. 

Exact same reason that every cruise line can command a premium fare for Alaska. 

And also cruises out of NYC tend to be expensive because the cruise lines know their is a large market of potential customers who do not have to pay airfare.

18 hours ago, PATRLR said:

Hmmm.... Could it be that this is the real reason Beef Wellington is gone?  It's simply more expensive to prepare than they want to spend on MDR meals?  Just one more case of NCL nickle and diming from the cost side of the ledger?

I believe the cost of the meal was the reason and not that no one was ordering it.    I am not sure who the contemporary cruiser demographic are, but I know that three out of four in my family would of ordered the beef wellington and

22 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

No more mac and cheese? Nooooooo! That, and the Beefy Well were the only good things on the menu. Nooooooooooo! I'm sad now...especially if this hits all ships this year, as expected.

with the mac and cheese.