Broad Thoughts From At Home

Flamin_June

Oh, it has 'character' alright 😁.  A is an avid gardner of ferocious intensity and almost witch-like green fingers, and if truth be told we were really looking for a garden with a house attached, the condition of the house being a secondary consideration after the potential of the garden. Well we found one, not huge (thank the Lord) but substantial and more or less a blank canvass. It has the added bonus of a stretch of canal at the bottom (where the swan lives). Which reminds me, I must add 'large bag of swan food' to the to-do list, as our housesitter will be expected to continue A's swan feeding routine (and plant watering routine). 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Flamin_June said:

Oh, it has 'character' alright 😁.  A is an avid gardner of ferocious intensity and almost witch-like green fingers, and if truth be told we were really looking for a garden with a house attached, the condition of the house being a secondary consideration after the potential of the garden. Well we found one, not huge (thank the Lord) but substantial and more or less a blank canvass. It has the added bonus of a stretch of canal at the bottom (where the swan lives). Which reminds me, I must add 'large bag of swan food' to the to-do list, as our housesitter will be expected to continue A's swan feeding routine (and plant watering routine). 

So here I was reading through this thread about to congratulate you for taking the "plunge" back into cruising and was delighted to read you've taken yet another "plunge"...Congrats!

A blank canvas sounds lovely to me...just think of the possibilities!

And FWIW...A's wonderful witch-like green fingers are welcome in my garden any ol' day. 🙂

1 hour ago, Flamin_June said:

This sounds wonderful to me.  We subscribe to English Home magazine and I enjoy seeing the restored old homes--so much older than anything we have here in Dallas of course. 

On 1/24/2023 at 4:36 PM, Flamin_June said:

All of a sudden it's 8 weeks until we embark.

That is 56 days or 1344 hours!

When we booked it, some 230 days ago, the countdown clock moved with all the speed of cold molasses. Now the days are rushing past with alarming urgency and we seem to be at that critical moment when all thoughts turn to preparing and serious planning. Two months to go should be time enough to be laid back and level-headed about it, yet I am beset by a nagging fear that any further delay will land us in 'leaving it to the last moment' territory.

"Time to get the suitcases out of the loft" I say.

"As is often the case, darling, you are being a bit premature" says my dear wife, momentarily distracted from the quick crossword in today's newspaper.

As Ovener remarked in a recent thread, preparation and planning should be a time of cheerful and optimistic anticipation, almost as much fun as the cruise itself. But it is over four years since we last set sail with Seabourn and much has changed. As Ovener also noted, that happy pre-cruise optimism has been replaced with anxiety, doubt, stress, bureaucracy and a seemingly endless quest to amass documentation, apps, proofs of vaccination and adequate travel insurance.

If anyone is remotely interested, I will be popping up here from time to time to let you know how the pre-cruise experience is working out.

Sorry to have added to your stress. We’ve done two cruises since the lockdowns, one on Viking, then one on Seabourn. The first made us edgy, but it’s my fault - I wanted to get us in a great cabin to celebrate coming back to cruising, so we had a lot riding on it. The fact that Greek shipping regulations required a pre-boarding COVID test and Viking were unclear about what would happen if we tested positive were a real concern. The next cruise on Seabourn was a breeze by contrast.

We’ve booked on two more Seabourn cruises for 2023 and 2024 and I’m far more relaxed now - back to the old excitement about great times ahead. Yes there’s more admin, but we’re just so grateful that we can cruise again. The Sojourn was absolutely fantastic - even better than Odyssey four years ago. So please relax and enjoy, it’s all worth it and you deserve it. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

And now it is 16 days before departure.10 days before we set off.

Where have the last 40 days gone?

Here things have been moving on at pace ( "at snail's pace as far as some people are concerened" mutters A. I don't know what she means).

The big suitcases are more or less packed, but my cabin luggage case lies open, items strewn across the futon and I am wracked with indecision. Do I take one change of clothes or two? I have to pack the Bose speaker and the ipad and the camera, as they all have lithium batteries, so the chargers have to go in as well. And the presecription meds. And the documents - proof of vaccination (4 copies each  just in case), proofs of ESTA authorisation and IMMI approval, letter from doctor explaining why I need 120 doses of a controlled drug - and a spare pair of glasses. Should I pack the other over-the-counter meds? What about my beloved Nintendo DS, so I can play MarioKart on the endless flight? Should I pack swimming trunks?  I don't wan't two pack two changes of clothes, and we are flying Singapore Airlines after all, they are supposed to be quite good. So it's unlikely that our hold luggage will be lost. But we have a 2.5 hour layover and change of plane at Changi, so that is a splendid opportunity for mismanaging our luggage if ever I saw one. But it is Singapore Airlines and they are supposed to be, at least, competent.

This bubble of tranquility and happy anticipation that I have tried to convey, has however been prone to ferquent puncturing by further moments of stress and anxiety. Not the least of which have been induced by some of the posts and discussions on here, but also courtesy of Delta Airlines. More of which later as I have to cook the Sunday roast RIGHT NOW!

• Like 4

Whenever we have flown with them Singapore Airlines have been excellent, in every way.

I am sure many of us can associate with that panicky feeling of the last week or two  before departure.  Apart from your meds. and vaccination stuff, tickets and passports, almost anything else could be bought en route if you forget anything.  I expect you already know to mix and match your packing, so that you share your clothes between cases just in case one should go AWOL.  

Just think, once you are onboard and having your first drinkypoo  you can take a deep breath and just enjoy all the good things which will happen over the next 41 days - and the fascinating places you will see.  Looking forward to reading more, as and when time and the internet permit.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Flamin_June said:

And now it is 16 days before departure.10 days before we set off.

Where have the last 40 days gone?

Here things have been moving on at pace ( "at snail's pace as far as some people are concerened" mutters A. I don't know what she means).

The big suitcases are more or less packed, but my cabin luggage case lies open, items strewn across the futon and I am wracked with indecision. Do I take one change of clothes or two? I have to pack the Bose speaker and the ipad and the camera, as they all have lithium batteries, so the chargers have to go in as well. And the presecription meds. And the documents - proof of vaccination (4 copies each  just in case), proofs of ESTA authorisation and IMMI approval, letter from doctor explaining why I need 120 doses of a controlled drug - and a spare pair of glasses. Should I pack the other over-the-counter meds? What about my beloved Nintendo DS, so I can play MarioKart on the endless flight? Should I pack swimming trunks?  I don't wan't two pack two changes of clothes, and we are flying Singapore Airlines after all, they are supposed to be quite good. So it's unlikely that our hold luggage will be lost. But we have a 2.5 hour layover and change of plane at Changi, so that is a splendid opportunity for mismanaging our luggage if ever I saw one. But it is Singapore Airlines and they are supposed to be, at least, competent.

This bubble of tranquility and happy anticipation that I have tried to convey, has however been prone to ferquent puncturing by further moments of stress and anxiety. Not the least of which have been induced by some of the posts and discussions on here, but also courtesy of Delta Airlines. More of which later as I have to cook the Sunday roast RIGHT NOW!

Don't forget

You go on as a passenger and come off as Cargo.😁

Edited by Mr Luxury

Just catching up on your posts FJ. Have also been following Sharkb8 with much interest, given  the similar ports. Thankfully, the most disturbing thing we’ve seen so far is the change in house champagne😳, let’s hope it’s all a storm in a flute.

We fly in the day of the cruise (hopefully!). It’s been fun to read the parallels in your to do list - extra meds etc. yup we’ve done the same runs. The suitcases are out and packing will start this week.

We also moved a year ago to retire but escaped the hedges and gardens that were becoming too much, even with Manuel and Polly. Renovations have started and will continue when we get back. It is great to just switch off all appliances and walk out the door and not bother family with regular checks. 

Safe travels - the spare set of clothes is always good for a shower in the lounge at Singapore to freshen up.

See you on our home away from home.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Flamin_June said:

But we have a 2.5 hour layover and change of plane at Changi, so that is a splendid opportunity for mismanaging our luggage if ever I saw one. But it is Singapore Airlines and they are supposed to be, at least, competent.

Some reassurance about Singapore Airlines. We last flew them in July & August, 2022 with a similar layover and they were excellent. No problems with lost luggage though others we knew travelling at the same time with BA and Qantas had problems with delayed luggage. The Business Class lounge at Changi has been updated and has two sections. One section caters more for dining with drinks available and the other side for sitting and drinks. Both have much more light coming in and the sitting area allows you to watch planes on the tarmac.

You may be sorry you do not have a longer layover at Changi!!  My last visit was before the new update, when it was comparatively disappointing.  But the business class flight, on my birthday (which someone spotted from my passport) was one of the best.

Singapore Airlines in general and Changi airport in particular can make one forget how terrible air travel has become more broadly.  Competence and professionalism are on display.  In my opinion service can feel a bit cold and impersonal, but the script will be followed to the last period.  Flying SingAir is sure to help put OP's travel angst aside right at the start of the journey.  Enjoy.

We know Changi quite well, having stayed in Singapore for a few days at a time before embarking or diesembarking , or when just passing through.One could almost say we are fond of it, if one could ever be fond of any airport. A's favourite airport in the world, believe it or not, is Kuching, Sarawak. Small, friendly, efficient, not crowded, just a few shops with some interesting tat. She is quite picky about her airports and point-blank refuses to fly in or out of Heathrow, for example.

We are not going business class 😭. The cost was just prohibitive for our budget, so we have opted for Premium Economy 😒. I keep telling myself it will be just like business was in the days before every airline had lie-flat beds. We will soon find out. We usually break up flights to the farther side of the world with a three or four day stay in Singapore, or KL, or Dubai. But Dubai has gone down the pan in the last decade, KL wouldn't fit, so we decided to bite the bullet and do Manchester to Sydney in one go. It seemed quite do-able, and possibly rational, when we were putting the trip together eight or nine months ago, but looking back, we must have been stir-crazy coming out of lockdown. At  least we will have 4 nights in Sydney to recover, although I will miss staying at Hotel Fort Canning which became our favourite in Singapore (this is not necessarily a recommendation as HFC is quite quirky to say the least). The last time we disembarked anywhere, December 2018, was in Sydney, coming off Sojourn, so there is a pleasing symetry about embarking Odyssey there.

Talking of Sydney, I forgot to mention the self-administered Rapid Antigen Tests that have to be crammed into cabin luggage along with everything else. Seabourn protocols for Australia, or NSW at any rate, have recently been updated, so now passengers over 12 have to be vaccinated, but no longer have to have a booster (which seems questionable to me as the vaccine will wane over time, so having boosters seems a safer option). But anybody over two years must take a test before boarding. Self-administered RAT taken up to 24 hours before boarding is ok, and  one must have a photo of the negative test result next to one's passport and something showing the time when the photo was taken (but, strangely there is no mention of a requirement for the date).

This of course is another source of major anxiety and will be until we have the negative test results in front of us. Should we wear masks in the airports? On the plane? I fully expect that every passenger near us will be maskless and coughing throughout the flight, but we will be armed with bottles of Boots Dual Defence which we will be squirting up our noses every three hours.

Edited by Flamin_June
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Flamin_June said:

We know Changi quite well, having stayed in Singapore for a few days at a time before embarking or diesembarking , or when just passing through.One could almost say we are fond of it, if one could ever be fond of any airport. A's favourite airport in the world, believe it or not, is Kuching, Sarawak. Small, friendly, efficient, not crowded, just a few shops with some interesting tat. She is quite picky about her airports and point-blank refuses to fly in or out of Heathrow, for example.

We are not going business class 😭. The cost was just prohibitive for our budget, so we have opted for Premium Economy 😒. I keep telling myself it will be just like business was in the days before every airline had lie-flat beds. We will soon find out. We usually break up flights to the farther side of the world with a three or four day stay in Singapore, or KL, or Dubai. But Dubai has gone down the pan in the last decade, KL wouldn't fit, so we decided to bite the bullet and do Manchester to Sydney in one go. It seemed quite do-able, and possibly rational, when we were putting the trip together eight or nine months ago, but looking back, we must have been stir-crazy coming out of lockdown. At  least we will have 4 nights in Sydney to recover, although I will miss staying at Hotel Fort Canning which became our favourite in Singapore (this is not necessarily a recommendation as HFC is quite quirky to say the least). The last time we disembarked anywhere, December 2018, was in Sydney, coming off Sojourn, so there is a pleasing symetry about embarking Odyssey there.

Talking of Sydney, I forgot to mention the self-administered Rapid Antigen Tests that have to be crammed into cabin luggage along with everything else. Seabourn protocols for Australia, or NSW at any rate, have recently been updated, so now passengers over 12 have to be vaccinated, but no longer have to have a booster (which seems questionable to me as the vaccine will wane over time, so having boosters seems a safer option). But anybody over two years must take a test before boarding. Self-administered RAT taken up to 24 hours before boarding is ok, and  one must have a photo of the negative test result next to one's passport and something showing the time when the photo was taken (but, strangely there is no mention of a requirement for the date).

This of course is another source of major anxiety and will be until we have the negative test results in front of us. Should we wear masks in the airports? On the plane? I fully expect that every passenger near us will be maskless and coughing throughout the flight, but we will be armed with bottles of Boots Dual Defence which we will be squirting up our noses every three hours.

Don't kid yourself

Premium is not like business was.

You'll need the four days in Sydney with a chiropractor.😁

4 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

Don't kid yourself

Premium is not like business was.

You'll need the four days in Sydney with a chiropractor.😁

Ahhh...Mr L, always a source of comfort and reassurance 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I think sometimes it is better to have a little bit of sourness in the anticipation.  More than likely the trip will exceed your expectations and you will be thrilled.  When you anticipate everything will be perfect, you will start to notice the few flaws much more quickly.

• Like 3

Talking of flights, we will be stoping over for a couple of days in Atlanta on our return from Honolulu. That final leg has been another source of stress and worry courtesy of Delta and Seabourn Flight Ease, but enough of that for now, I would rather focus on the trip ahead. Mind you,  it is snowing heavily here as I write, and A is concerned that if this keeps up the airport will be closed and flights cancelled.  'Concerned' is putting it mildly, in fact she is rigid with anxiety, which could turn out to be useful, as we have a couple of floorboards that need replacing.

The boarding passes have appeared on our final documents and in Seabourn Source, our TK Grill bookings have reverted to the original table for two for six evenings, rather than one evening with a table for 12, but the app on my phone is still telling me that our flight is from Mangalore😶. Nonetheless, we have decided to risk heading to the Radisson at Manchester Airport next Wednesday, we've booked our meals for the first leg to Singapore ( playing it safe with pan roasted cod in a pomodoro sauce with creamy polenta and long beans), though can't yet settle on any of the 15  Book the Cook offerings for the second leg.

We have our boarding time In Sydney, a very convenient 13.40. Daytime temps in the high 20s C, with a chance of light showers and some clouds are forecast for our time there, which, after this bitterly cold and interminable winter, sounds pretty good.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Flamin_June said:

We have our boarding time In Sydney, a very convenient 13.40. Daytime temps in the high 20s C, with a chance of light showers and some clouds are forecast for our time there, which, after this bitterly cold and interminable winter, sounds pretty good.

Have a wonderful cruise!

• Thanks 1

The house and cat sitter arrived Saturday afternoon, so we have had a few days intensive training to get him up to speed on all the quirks of cat and house. He is due to sit a written exam this evening.

We blinked when trying to stare down our 13 hour flight in Premium Econ, upgraded to Business and cancelled the chiropracter in Sydney.

Darling daughter is driving us to the airport hotel tomorrow, so nothing to do now but  fiddle about with last minute hand luggage items and look forward with pleasure to our new adventure and plan what special requests we will put in to the chef.Definately Grand Marnier soufle, probably clam chowder (which we have not seen on a our previous few cruises), chicken cassoulet pie, and spotted dick.

OK, just kidding about the last one. Our anticipation is tempered somewhat by the various issues raised here. I am not sure if our delicate natures will be able to bear being surrounded by people in polos and jeans at dinner and the absence of three different bars of soap may prove to be a deal breaker for future cruises. I seem to recall hearing rumours that the turn-down chocolates have also been culled. I am steeling myself in case the cognac runs out and fearing the worst as far as the undrinkable water is concerned.

Seriously, as many others here have said, it is the itinerary that is the great pull. Being able to discover and explore some far-flung regions in the comfort of a Seabourn ship is a significant bonus.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I wish you well on your cruise now that you're packed.

Did one case contain Brandy and individually wrapped chocolates and another bars of soap.

Not best to pack the soap with the chocolates.

Oh nearly forgot,did the cat sitter pass the test of cleaning out the anal glands.

I saw a vet do this once and it has stayed with me 😃

Edited by Mr Luxury

One can’t let this thread end on such a memorable image as supplied by Mr L. So, to continue, I can let those of you who might be interested know that we we arrived safely and happily - as happily as any can be after a 23 hour long haul - in Sydney. As did our luggage. The first leg to Singapore was pretty good, the second leg in a clapped out 777 was not that great, but at least we did not have to adopt the brace position. Our hotel suite is better than expected, the night reception team were among the best we have ever had in two decades of serious travelling and the cruise terminal is just on the opposite quay to the hotel. All that remains between us and our veranda suite is a rapid flow antigen test the day before boarding. As anxiety has been a common theme here I can tell you that every cough, even a slight clearing of the throat, is greeted with alarm.

• Like 3

I have enjoyed following this thread. We also are going to finally step back into the prior Covid world in May with international travel. There are very similar concerns with us that I have read on this thread. We have experienced some significant medical since Covid, so it does ratchet it up a bit. 

That said, we decided we need to travel again. Maybe differently from a precautions standpoint, and certainly from an awareness standpoint. We’ve experienced travel related illness in the past, but Covid changed the dialogue. And hopefully as it appears to be at this point, not as destructive, it continues in that direction. So we are giving it a go! 
So Flamin_June, thank you for starting this thread. It’s comforting to read that there are many who have trepidation, and many who have sailed through easily. Have a fantastic voyage. Looking forward to reading how positive it all works out for you. 

Edited by Vineyard View
  • Like 1