Rhine water levels 2023 and similar topics

notamermaid

Levels are rising everywhere, problematic are some smaller rivers in the hills. But also the Moselle is rising.

River traffic ban confirmed: https://www.swr.de/swraktuell/rheinland-pfalz/hochwasser-rhein-lahn-sieg-pegel-steigende-wasserstaende-100.html

Train travel is still a bit disrupted after the storm, but better.

Elevated levels in the Netherlands.

In other parts of Germany the situation is dramatic in a few places:

grafik.png.cc2966e2b415ba2ce4a02662dad5d004.png

You can see the Danube having to take on more water than the Upper Rhine. The Regen (the river to and in Regensburg) is very high.

River traffic ban is anticipated not to last long at Maxau, should be over by tomorrow evening.

notamermaid

• Like 2

On Viking Alruna, just departed Amsterdam.  Notified that water levels are to high to dock in Arnhem, but will be heading further to Emmerich Germany to dock.  Still the same excursion to Palais Het Loo, just longer drive.  We had hoped to visit the Burgers Zoo in pm, so that's canceled.  

We'll be very happy if this is the only change.    

Very nice on board experience so far.  Weather has been interesting.  Warm to us (50f), just 30 mph wind and lashing rain.  

• Like 1

River traffic is flowing again already at Maxau, confirmed: https://www.swr.de/swraktuell/baden-wuerttemberg/karlsruhe/hochwasser-rhein-schifffahrt-karlsruhe-100.html

The level will remain high and not fall below flood mark I (that is adjusted sailing speed and extra vigilance) for the rest of the year.

Other sections of the Rhine are okay for sailing but are all high (already exceeding flood mark I, about to or getting close). There is a risk for a river traffic ban indicated in the Koblenz gauge.

notamermaid

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ural guy said:

Did someone mention where the Viking winter ship parking area is in Koln?  The regular spot is flooded, so we're in the alternate location with 40 or so sleeping ships. Thanks

That is Niehl, I had posted a bit about the port. So the river bank in Cologne is not accessible right now. That is understandable, the river is very high in Cologne, the photo of Emmerich says it all. Thank you for posting that.

Niehl right now:

image.png.be5041a5e5e846c4d6e0b35816ab970e.png

notamermaid

• Like 1

6 hours ago, moonriver54 said:

Is there an online map which shows the location of kilometer marking signs at various locations along the Rhine?

Yes. If you want to go for the fine details, here is a pdf file. Note that this is big:

http://www.kapitanskepatenty.cekuj.net/RHEINATLAS.PDF

There are others out there I am sure. Quiet some time ago I read about something one can purchase as well.

notamermaid

• Like 1

Levels at Kaub and Koblenz really high, but Kaub looks to be staying okay. At Koblenz the risk of a river cruise ban is now low. The level should peak around 630cm, not getting to the threshold of 650cm. Fingers crossed. Level now is 621cm.

Newspaper says that there is a risk of a river traffic ban at Cologne.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
wrong word

For putting Niehl in context I have copied the distance bar at the bottom left:

image.png.e612d86702617c5410fda502c3ed72aa.png

Google maps says it takes a good hour to walk from the dock to Cologne Cathedral.

I have checked the forecast and it says the level at Cologne is now 802cm. The 830cm is less likely than was forecast a few hours ago, but the risk is still there. More likely is 810 to 820cm as the peak.

notamermaid

• Like 1

7 hours ago, moonriver54 said:

Is there an online map which shows the location of kilometer marking signs at various locations along the Rhine?

Alternatively to my earlier suggestion you may want to use this:

https://www.deutsche-leuchtfeuer.de/binnen/rhein/hochrhein.html

notamermaid

• Like 2

On 12/24/2023 at 6:58 AM, notamermaid said:

In other parts of Germany the situation is dramatic in a few places:

You can see the Danube having to take on more water than the Upper Rhine. The Regen (the river to and in Regensburg) is very high.

notamermaid

notamermaid

Over the years I have read many reports of the Regen going over its banks at various places. Much of the courses of the Regen and other small rivers - the Ilz, the Naab (especially the Waldnaab portion), the Regen and its tributaries, etc. - that reach the Danube from the north can be so beautiful You can't travel them except by canoe or raft, except, of course, the lower Altmühl that was dug up and incorporated into the Rhein-Main-Donau Canal despite much opposition.

RDVIK

• Like 1

6 hours ago, notamermaid said:

For putting Niehl in context I have copied the distance bar at the bottom left:

image.png.e612d86702617c5410fda502c3ed72aa.png

Google maps says it takes a good hour to walk from the dock to Cologne Cathedral

notamermaid

Thanks, very helpful. Viking Cruises Winterhaven, someone has dropped a pin and named it on Google map version that pops up for me

My DH has been searching through his old German colleagues contacts  to see if any of them would be useful, re the flooding but most of them were in the Leverkusen area and they’ve all retired now, still he’s happy having connected again with friends, it’s amazing what a little push will do. So it’s big thank you from me for making my DH happy this Christmas.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ural guy said:

Thanks, very helpful. Viking Cruises Winterhaven, someone has dropped a pin and named it on Google map version that pops up for me

Oh that is good, yes saw that pin on the map in faint writing.

I see the Orvar is with the big ships right now. She is a tugboat that indeed belongs to Viking and lends a helping hand pulling landing stages along the river. Not restricted to Viking work that needs doing. Spotted her in a couple of places over the last two years.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
added info

Maxau gauge is of course still high, but should be okay for river traffic till the rest of the year. Koblenz gauge is at its plateau and should be okay. Cologne now looks to stay below the threshold, not going over 810cm.

Duisburg, which is already the Lower Rhine, should stay okay and well clear of a threshold for a river traffic ban.

notamermaid

• Like 1