Value for money-7 days for £3K per person?

blindman60

New to cruising so apologise if I'm missing something here but:

Why is a 7 day cruise from\to Tahiti with either PG or Windstar a staggering £3K (discounted minimum) per person?

Equates to £1000 PER NGHT for a couple??

Seems a crazy price.

These days, $1000+ per day (even per person) is not unusual for a luxury line or even some of the larger suites on mass market lines.  Consider that if you were to go to a decent resort on Bora Bora, you might pay over $1000 a day for a hotel room.  With a ship you are getting your hotel room, food, and entertainment. And that does not even account for the cost of being on a moving vessel that is constantly burning expensive fuel.

Since I gather you are from the UK, just consider what it would cost to stay in a luxury London hotel, pay for at least 3 decent meals per day, go to a West End theater, and perhaps stop in a post theater lounge.

Hank

4 hours ago, blindman60 said:

Why is a 7 day cruise from\to Tahiti with either PG or Windstar a staggering £3K (discounted minimum) per person?

Seems a crazy price.

Check your math:  L3K per person for 7 days equates to L857 per night for a couple.

Then, of course, while you may not always get all of what you pay for, you surely will not get more than you are willing to pay for.   Accomodations, meals, transportation and entertainment on a top of the line luxury provider does not get less expensive in periods of inflation. 

Price out other luxury options.

5 hours ago, blindman60 said:

Seems a crazy price.

Travel much?

A 4 star hotel in a major city will easily set you back $300-400/night. Dinners at >$150/couple. Add transport, entertainment, excursions, booze, and/or whatever else may be provided by a premium/luxury cruise line and you’ll quickly realize that $1k/night is hardly out of line.

23 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Travel much?

A 4 star hotel in a major city will easily set you back $300-400/night. Dinners at >$150/couple. Add transport, entertainment, excursions, booze, and/or whatever else may be provided by a premium/luxury cruise line and you’ll quickly realize that $1k/night is hardly out of line.

61 Countries last time I counted

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies.

I realise this is "top end" -with "No competition" but I cannot see this as value for money, more a "what the market will bear" so obviously not for me.

I was looking at the 22 day Buenos Airies to Antratic-Valpariaso Chile cruise for $1532, for far better value and priced accordingly.

Each to his own.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, blindman60 said:

Thanks for all the replies.

I realise this is "top end" -with "No competition" but I cannot see this as value for money, more a "what the market will bear" so obviously not for me.

I was looking at the 22 day Buenos Airies to Antratic-Valpariaso Chile cruise for $1532, for far better value and priced accordingly.

Each to his own.

For some people a $99 per night inside cabin on Carnival is what they are looking for.  For others a several thousands of dollars per night in the owner's suite on a luxury cruise line is their style of cruising and if they can't have the owner's suite they won't cruise.   They are both right.  You pay for what you want for what you can afford.  There are lots of adventure cruises that go to inhospitable and difficult-to-get-to places that cost as much as $40,000 for a 10 to 12 day cruise.  I would gladly take one of those cruises if my budget and more important my wife would let me do it.  

DON

• Haha 1