problems with air

Cruise a holic

While this is a problem with choice air, I thought I would have more people see it on the regular celebrity cruise critic site.  We recently sailed on the Apex in January out of Fort Lauderdale- we as we typically do, used choice air and flew delta.  We arrived at the airport about 8:15 AM to depart out of Fort Lauderdale airport.  Checked our luggage outside- no problem.  Proceeded to the Delta lounge- we were told that because our flight departure was after 12 noon, we couldn't enter the lounge- not sure if a new rule, but you can only access the lounge three hours before your flight IF their is room in the lounge.  We had to wait about 1/2 hour to get into the small cramped airport lounge.  We also have another cruise booked in March.  Over the past few months the time of departure has been moved up.  I didn't realize until our January cruise that departure after three o'clock would be a real problem. We wouldn't be allowed to check our luggage (earliest 5 hours before your flight) or use the lounge.  We decided to change our return flight.  We had to pay a $200 pp penalty to choice air!  Didn't realize this would be a problem, as the initial flight we booked was scheduled to depart about 1:00 PM!  I was told since we paid in full- basically too bad.    Not sure if this is a ft. Lauderdale only issue, or something new since covid.  

Based on this, I will not use choice air again.  Had we dealt directly with delta, change would have been easier!  We fly first class and are frequent flyer members.

1 hour ago, Cruise a holic said:

Since Covid, I haven't flown out of Fort Lauderdale- does this apply to Miami and Orlando as well?  Does it apply across the board?

Yes, it is for all Sky Clubs.  However the 3 hour rule does not apply if your flight is delayed nor for layovers.

Also starting this year, you cannot buy a Sky Club annual membership unless you are Silver Medallion or above--again in an attempt to manage the overcrowding situation.  And they significantly increased the membership price.

Delta must agree with you regarding the cramped size of the FLL Sky Club as they are working on an expansion which is supposed to open up this Sep.

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 1

Nothing to do with Sky Lounges.

According to TSA Rules (as we have been made to understand it - the hard way), airlines are not allowed to check-in passengers, and/or luggage, until a maximum of 3 hours prior to their scheduled flight time. A year ago we were made aware of this rule and not allowed to check-in until afternoon even though we arrived around 8:30AM. Therefore, we and many others, were stuck in the area between the main doors and the check-in counters. There is no seating or access to anything except restrooms down on the luggage retrival floor. We had to either sit on our suitcases or on the floor for hours.

The above happen last January (2022) so this time (two weeks ago) since our flight time was at 4:30 we took a ship sponsored) Fort Lauderdale tour to eat up some of the time. We still arrived more than 3 hours, but just bareley. The agent still checked out flight time, but allowed us to check-in a couple minutes early. It was obivious by the masses of people sitting on the floor or luggage that they were caught in this trap.

I have never seen this rule mentioned, but it has casued us a lot of problems.

2 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

While this is a problem with choice air, I thought I would have more people see it on the regular celebrity cruise critic site.  We recently sailed on the Apex in January out of Fort Lauderdale- we as we typically do, used choice air and flew delta.  We arrived at the airport about 8:15 AM to depart out of Fort Lauderdale airport.  Checked our luggage outside- no problem.  Proceeded to the Delta lounge- we were told that because our flight departure was after 12 noon, we couldn't enter the lounge- not sure if a new rule, but you can only access the lounge three hours before your flight IF their is room in the lounge.  We had to wait about 1/2 hour to get into the small cramped airport lounge.  We also have another cruise booked in March.  Over the past few months the time of departure has been moved up.  I didn't realize until our January cruise that departure after three o'clock would be a real problem. We wouldn't be allowed to check our luggage (earliest 5 hours before your flight) or use the lounge.  We decided to change our return flight.  We had to pay a $200 pp penalty to choice air!  Didn't realize this would be a problem, as the initial flight we booked was scheduled to depart about 1:00 PM!  I was told since we paid in full- basically too bad.    Not sure if this is a ft. Lauderdale only issue, or something new since covid.  

Based on this, I will not use choice air again.  Had we dealt directly with delta, change would have been easier!  We fly first class and are frequent flyer members.

I am having a hard time finding the problem with Choice Air in your post.  

Choice Air does not have any say/sway with airline lounge policy.  That is all Delta.

Choice Air does not have any say/sway with luggage check-in times.  That is all Delta. 

Choice Air does not have any say/sway with airline flight arrival/departure.  That is all Delta.

The ships arrival time, your departure time from the ship, and your arrival time at the airport are not controlled by Choice Air.  

Choice Air has always been upfront about the $200 change fee.  It's stated in their documentation and has been mentioned many times here on cruise critic. 

We fly United almost exclusively and United has the same luggage check-in policy except it is four house and not five.  We almost always take a non-stop to IAD out of FLL when returning from a cruise.  That frequently means hanging around the check-in area with our bags until we can check them and proceed to the United Club. I cannot ever remember being denied entry to the United Club because we were 'too early'.   Then again, I cannot recall arriving at the airport that far in advance except for twice and simply had to wait until we could check our bags in. 

• Like 2

I’d agree that this has nothing to do with Flights by Celebrity. Next time try contacting Delta to request a different flight rather than FBC. If your change is 120 minutes or more, Delta should offer to change the flight for free but it never hurts to ask even if your request is outside of policy. Their policies on this are available online. 

As far as the lounges, yeah. At non-hub airports they are a real mess. It seems like half the passengers have lounge access now. 

40 minutes ago, jwlane said:

Tell us again why is this the fault of "choice air" (FBC)?

When I purchased choice air, I was advised the reason the flight cost "a little more" is that it included no change fees.  This wasn't represented correctly.  I wasn't advised when paid in full, it wasn't in effect.  Of course the lounge issue isn't their problem- it is Delta's.  In addition, if you book with flights by Celebrity, or another third party, Delta has zero responsibility.

Edited by Cruise a holic

1 hour ago, Cruise a holic said:

When I purchased choice air, I was advised the reason the flight cost "a little more" is that it included no change fees.  This wasn't represented correctly.  I wasn't advised when paid in full, it wasn't in effect.  Of course the lounge issue isn't their problem- it is Delta's.  In addition, if you book with flights by Celebrity, or another third party, Delta has zero responsibility.

That is correct -  There is no charge fee by the Airline but the Choice Air fee of $100 pp to change a flight after final payment still applies.   I believe if the flight is change by more than 2 hours the FBC fee may be waived, but unsure of this. 

42 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

That is correct -  There is no charge fee by the Airline but the Choice Air fee of $100 pp to change a flight after final payment still applies.   I believe if the flight is change by more than 2 hours the FBC fee may be waived, but unsure of this. 

Paid $405 for both yesterday to choice air

2 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Choice Air has always been upfront about the $200 change fee.  It's stated in their documentation and has been mentioned many times here on cruise critic. 

As I've recently posted in another thread, I have had some very positive experiences with FBC recently, including last minute changes where they did not charge a change fee, so overall I would use them again when the price is right.

However, I've been aware of the $200 change fee via all the discussions on Cruise Critic - but I am not so sure that FBC is so upfront about the fee.

Under FAQ's (https://www.celebritycruises.com/faqs/flights-by-celebrity😞

Can I change my flights?

Changes to your itinerary can be made however these changes are subject to any applicable airline penalties and fees. (emphasis mine)

Only under the question - Are these fares fully refundable? does i mention the $200 fee.

Outside of final cruise payment air penalties will not apply and the fare is fully refundable. After final payment, $200 per person air penalty applies.

However, I would not interpret that as being relevant to a change unless I knew better.  I would consider the Refundable question being in reference to a cancellation.

When I look at my FBC Confirmation, I see the following in the pricing section (again emphasis mine):

** FLIGHTS by Celebrity Cancellation Charges 200.00

Now maybe the change fee is mentioned somewhere in the actual booking process - I can't tell at this point - but I really don't feel this is clearly spelled out.

Mike

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Jim the Flights By Celebrity change fee is $200 pp and is charged for any changes made after payment and is independent of any airline fees or lack thereof.

On 1/26/2023 at 12:35 PM, Cruise a holic said:

They make you leave early.  Want to empty the ship

I know, but we will have to dawdle.  Our flight just got changed to 245!  Unless we take a cab somewhere for an hour or two--with luggage.  I was just going to hang out in the Delta lounge.  Don't want to have to sit outside the airport for 2 hours.

7 minutes ago, RMac713 said:

I know, but we will have to dawdle.  Our flight just got changed to 245!  Unless we take a cab somewhere for an hour or two--with luggage.  I was just going to hang out in the Delta lounge.  Don't want to have to sit outside the airport for 2 hours.

Tell that to the people waiting outside to get on the ship.  Typically that starts around 11 am and the last groups off barring any hold ups in Customs is 10 am.  

51 minutes ago, RMac713 said:

We had to change our flight and we paid additional.  You can only use the Delta lounge (if room) no more then 3 hours before your scheduled flight.  That was ft lauderdale, and I assume rules apply to all lounges.   You will be off the ship by 9 AM the latest.

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is there shade outside of the airport?  My husband had a kidney transplant 16 months ago and my brother in law had a heart attack in the fall, don't want to wait in the sun, or pay more at this point.  Can we wait inside of the airport and just not check in until 1145?

Edited by RMac713

On 1/26/2023 at 9:48 AM, sptrout said:

Nothing to do with Sky Lounges.

According to TSA Rules (as we have been made to understand it - the hard way), airlines are not allowed to check-in passengers, and/or luggage, until a maximum of 3 hours prior to their scheduled flight time. A year ago we were made aware of this rule and not allowed to check-in until afternoon even though we arrived around 8:30AM. Therefore, we and many others, were stuck in the area between the main doors and the check-in counters. There is no seating or access to anything except restrooms down on the luggage retrival floor. We had to either sit on our suitcases or on the floor for hours.

The above happen last January (2022) so this time (two weeks ago) since our flight time was at 4:30 we took a ship sponsored) Fort Lauderdale tour to eat up some of the time. We still arrived more than 3 hours, but just bareley. The agent still checked out flight time, but allowed us to check-in a couple minutes early. It was obivious by the masses of people sitting on the floor or luggage that they were caught in this trap.

I have never seen this rule mentioned, but it has casued us a lot of problems.

this is not a TSA regulation (no check in prior to 3 hours)

some airlines have this rule, and it can vary from airport to airport, and even from terminal to terminal at the same airport (JFK for example)

Totally unrelated, Delta did in fact (as did Amex Centurion clubs) institute the 3 hour rule for their clubs, to reduce crowding.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RMac713 said:

Is there shade outside of the airport?  My husband had a kidney transplant 16 months ago and my brother in law had a heart attack in the fall, don't want to wait in the sun, or pay more at this point.  Can we wait inside of the airport and just not check in until 1145?

Yes, you can wait inside the airport (FLL) but a lot of disembarked passengers from cruise ships are there, too, and there is limited seating. It gets crowded fast. 

Edited by mahdnc

24 minutes ago, Nachosdelux said:

this is not a TSA regulation (no check in prior to 3 hours)

some airlines have this rule, and it can vary from airport to airport, and even from terminal to terminal at the same airport (JFK for example)

Totally unrelated, Delta did in fact (as did Amex Centurion clubs) institute the 3 hour rule for their clubs, to reduce crowding.

Thanks for the correction. I guess I assumed it was a TSA Rule, nobody said anything different. Being at an airport more than 3 hours prior to checkin is unusual for us and likely is one of the reasons (maybe the only reason) that we had never had this problem before.

Fort Lauderdale's airport is rather small for the huge bumps in traffic on certains days and times. Being unable to checkin and at least get rid of all our luggage made for a long and uncomfortable morning and early afternoon. At minimum, any airport that has this rule should warn travelers ahead of time not to show up early.