Just Booked Sun Princess TA 2024…..Love It Or Hate It?

Lady Arwen

As my title shows, it’s booked.  However, I have reservations (pun not intended) about this ship.  So big, so many decks, so many passengers, so many different configurations of cabins, etc, etc.

Anyone else booked and not sure it’s a great idea?  I get caught up in the new ship, new concept pitch from Princess.  16 days days is a long time to have regrets.  DH thinks it’s going to be fabulous, me not so much.  Perhaps it will grow on me, or not.

We’re booked a Mediterranean cruise in August 2024 however, it’s the only ship that sails in the Mediterranean next year. I too, have second thoughts on this ship and its new layout compare to other Princess ships however, we have no choice in the matter if we what to sail the Mediterranean in 2024.
We’ll give it a try and if we don’t like the ship then next time we won’t book Sun Princess. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DHP1 said:

We’re booked a Mediterranean cruise in August 2024 however, it’s the only ship that sails in the Mediterranean next year. I too, have second thoughts on this ship and its new layout compare to other Princess ships however, we have no choice in the matter if we what to sail the Mediterranean in 2024.
We’ll give it a try and if we don’t like the ship then next time we won’t book Sun Princess. 

I think it’s the only ship that Princess is showing right now.  Quite sure other ships will be available when Princess decides to publish them. Of course, I have no idea if this is so!

The only negative I see is it's a new ship with new crew and there will be a learning curve.   Other then that Its a Cruise.   Whats not to love.   If your going into this with  negatives you probably shouldn't go.  Think the glass is half full.  

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

I think it’s the only ship that Princess is showing right now.  Quite sure other ships will be available when Princess decides to publish them. Of course, I have no idea if this is so!

The Mediterranean cruise is out (Barcelona, Rome, Athens) and this is it. Who knows, we may like this ship. Won’t know until we try. 

Edited by DHP1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, DHP1 said:

The Mediterranean cruise is out and this is it. Who knows, we may like this ship. Won’t know until we try. 

I’m willing to put my trepidation aside and go with the flow.  My DH is very excited, so that helps!

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, waltd said:

The only negative I see is it's a new ship with new crew and there will be a learning curve.   Other then that Its a Cruise.   Whats not to love.   If your going into this with  negatives you probably shouldn't go.  Think the glass is half full.  

No chance I’m not going!  My husband insists I’ll love it!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

When I heard how big this sucker was I immediately thought "Ummm...no."  We did a cruise on RCCL (Oasis of the Seas) and were completely turned off by the sheer number of people.  I doubt that we will be doing anything on the Sun.  Hey, I *know* that I'm either going to have to eventually accept that all of the mainstream cruise lines are "going big".  If it comes to that point where that is all the choice we have I may very well have to jump ship and go with another line.  We only made one cruise on the Pacific Princess (as it turns out, it was its very last cruise with Princess) and we had already decided that she had become our favorite ship!  Imagine our disappointment when they sold her near the beginning of the pandemic.  She went to Azamara.  That line takes a bigger chunk out of your wallet...we may have to just cut back on our number of cruises in order to sail what we like better.  But...we're not there yet! (Thankfully)

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, memoak said:

Too many people, no aft suites and rope course etc.  No thanks. We have booked our 2024 TA on the Regal

Yes, you’re right about that.  I try to focus on the large cabin with full size sofa and a nice big bathroom with glass shower….no shower curtains..yay!  Buffet is not self serve at all.  Many improvements that are meaningful to me, but I do worry about size and number of passengers.  Our CVP said that Princess will be transferring top crew and staff from other ships to Sun because Princess has a lot riding on this ship and they want it be be a success right out if the gate.  I have no idea if this will be the case.  I guess I’ll find out in 2024!

• Like 1

Just now, CeCe_ said:

May I ask what is TA?

We also booked the Sun Princess in 2024.  

Trans-Atlantic cruise.  Embarks in Southampton, England and disembarks in Ft. Lauderdale.  16 nights with Spain and Portugal stops.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

Trans-Atlantic cruise.  Embarks in Southampton, England and disembarks in Ft. Lauderdale.  16 nights with Spain and Portugal stops.

Thanks.  We booked the 13 days Italy Classics cruisetour from Venice with the Mediterranean cruise from Rome.  We are very excited.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CeCe_ said:

Thanks.  We booked the 13 days Italy Classics cruisetour from Venice with the Mediterranean cruise from Rome.  We are very excited.  

We’ve done the Med a few times and it’s awesome.  You will love it!  Be sure to spend time in Rome.  Magical city, for sure.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Thrak said:

This is the ship where Princess introduces a major "class system". No thanks.

Yes, you are correct.  Seems like all cruiselines are going in this direction.  Funny enough, this is one thing that doesn’t concern me at all.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

As my title shows, it’s booked.  However, I have reservations (pun not intended) about this ship.  So big, so many decks, so many passengers, so many different configurations of cabins, etc, etc.

Anyone else booked and not sure it’s a great idea?  I get caught up in the new ship, new concept pitch from Princess.  16 days days is a long time to have regrets.  DH thinks it’s going to be fabulous, me not so much.  Perhaps it will grow on me, or not.

What exactly is your question and/or concern?

13 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

No chance I’m not going!  My husband insists I’ll love it!

It's a new experience, something new to explore, a new adventure, what's not to love?  Maybe you shouldn't go into it trying to compare it to past ships, etc but look at it as a brand new experience.  I have been booked on this cruise and can hardly wait for something new.

• Like 3