Has Anyone Done the Plane Spotting on Maho Beach, Saint Maarten?

Katems75

Take a taxi on your own.  The beach is not that crowded, and there's plenty of room.  No, there's not a steady stream of planes.  As far as incoming and outgoing planes, keep in mind that they only go in one direction.  In other words, if they are taking off over Maho beach, they will not be landing over Maho beach.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Katems75 said:

How was it?  Should you just take your own taxi or should you do the RC excursion?  Was the beach super crowded?  Was there a steady stream of incoming and outgoing planes?

Any other tips or tricks?

We took a taxi and did it on our own without any issues.  We went a few years ago after one of the hurricanes so there was a lot of traffic due to construction getting back to the ship so plan accordingly.  We hung out at the Sunset Bar and Grill and would move to the beach when the planes came in.  They have the flight schedule posted at the bar.  I also looked online a few days before and confirmed a big plane was due to arrive.  We had fun and most people move down to the beach when the planes come in.

Edited by JeffT237

5 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Take a taxi on your own.  The beach is not that crowded, and there's plenty of room.  No, there's not a steady stream of planes.  As far as incoming and outgoing planes, keep in mind that they only go in one direction.  In other words, if they are taking off over Maho beach, they will not be landing over Maho beach.

This is partially incorrect.  Airlines are not allowed to land the other way in SXM due to the terrain.  ALL landings will be over the beach.  Some takeoffs MAY be the other direction due to winds, but this is very rare.

May I also recommend the Driftwood Bar opposite the Sunset Beach Bar on the other side of the beach.  Drinks are slightly cheaper!

Public "buses" (vans) run from downtown Philipsburg to Maho for $2.  Pickup on Back St.  MUCH cheaper than a taxi if you're willing to walk into town and sweat a bit.

Edited by Crism
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Crism said:

May I also recommend the Driftwood Bar opposite the Sunset Beach Bar on the other side of the beach.  Drinks are slightly cheaper!

We took a taxi there and just hung out watching the airplanes and people.  Unless you are into getting sandblasted I would just go to the bar and watch.  

Take the water taxi ($8) into town.  Walk back one block. Take a bus/van ($2 each way) to Maho.  Enjoy the day.  Do the reverse, leaving enough time for traffic hold ups.  You can also walk about a quarter of a mile to Mullet Bay.  It has a much better beach.  Don't plan on swimming at Maho unless you are a VERY strong swimmer.  It has strong currents.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Diver2014 said:

We were there a few years ago and the beach was packed, as were the bars.  It was not fun getting sand blasted when a jet landed right over our heads.  Never again......

But that's what makes it fun!

Actually I'm surprised that a landing jet caused sandblasting.  It's typically one that's taking off.

9 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

But that's what makes it fun!

Actually I'm surprised that a landing jet caused sandblasting.  It's typically one that's taking off.

I think you are correct.  We were there for quite awhile in the afternoon and several large jets landed and took off.  I think the sandblasting was one taking off and we were right at the fence on the runway side of the road.  It really was awful....no fun at all.  I had a face full of sand and grit and almost lost my sunglasses.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Katems75 said:

How was it?  Should you just take your own taxi or should you do the RC excursion?  Was the beach super crowded?  Was there a steady stream of incoming and outgoing planes?

Any other tips or tricks?

Thanks!

Just get a cab from port to Maho ($30 each way) and hang out at the bar. The best aircraft arrive between 11 and 3 each day. Check out the airports arrivals website for daily times. The excursions tend to go by the beach but at terrible times for viewing the arrivals. 

1 hour ago, time4u2go said:

They land over the beach and depart over the lagoon.

• Like 1

We were there this Christmas. We didn’t rush to get of the ship because we checked the flight arrivals beforehand. We were lucky in that the day we in port when there were some big planes due to land. We got there around 11.30 am and left at 2.30pm.

There were plenty of planes - all landing over the beach.

It is too sweeping a statement to say there are no planes, there are lots of planes - you just have to be there at the right time.

We took a taxi - and our driver took us there and waited for us. He met us back in the car park at the time we had asked him to be there and he got us back to the ship in good time.

We took the water taxi from the area next to the ship and found the taxi man holding up his price list right outside the water taxi entrance. 

We had a fabulous 3 hours on Maho beach. We are from the UK and a Caribbean cruise is a once in a lifetime experience for us. The beach is lovely. I would say - do it. 

• Like 1

We were there in July.   We took a taxi each way, easy peasy.   Beach was way nicer than I expected, and we rented chairs and an umbrella when we got there (on the Sunset Beach Bar side).   Kinda rocky right there, but clears up to just sand in 25 feet or so.   If a 737 is a big plane for you, then you'll be very happy.   As others have said there are usually 3 or 4 that come in between 11 and 1.   Hang around a little longer and they'll take off.   Every plane landed crossing over the beach and took off going away from the beach but starting right at the edge of the runway right across the street!!

• Like 1

We were there this past March.  Maybe the tide was in, but there wasn't a lot of beach between the road and the water and that beach was packed with people in rented beach-chairs. The bar seemed mobbed, so we sat on the little curb/wall between the road and beach and watched 3 planes land right over top of us in less than an hour before we left.  It was an unique experience, but would I do it again? NO! 

On 1/26/2023 at 8:26 PM, neverlaysup said:

Just get a cab from port to Maho ($30 each way) and hang out at the bar. The best aircraft arrive between 11 and 3 each day. Check out the airports arrivals website for daily times. The excursions tend to go by the beach but at terrible times for viewing the arrivals. 

$30 each way per person?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 1/26/2023 at 7:03 PM, neverbeenhere said:

Like many of the blow holes throughout the world, watch it once, head to the bar, drink a lot, tell bigger fish tales when you get home. 

My boyfriend wants to experience Maho on our cruise in March '25.  I can hear him now telling friends that he threw sand at a plane and hit the underside.🤣😁🤣

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...