How often does Royal Caribbean have sales? Should I wait to book?

Hey everyone! I’m definitely no newbie to cruising, especially Royal Caribbean, but over the last 15 years I’ve never paid attention to their sales and when is best to book. I’ve finally convinced my boyfriend to cruise with me (he was very against them) and figure if I’m going to take him on one I gotta do it right and want to take him on an Oasis class ship in an oceanview balcony room. Based on when works best for us over the next year or so, I saw Oasis of the Seas 7 night Caribbean sailing January 7, 2024 worked within our budget as of yesterday morning. Now I see that even though their sale doesn’t end until the 31st, the pricing jumped to $1000 more today which is outside of our budget now (which I totally understand that pricing can change at any time based on availability, I’m just shocked it jumped so high and not just for balcony rooms, it was all stateroom categories for various dates on that ship). I’m debating now booking Symphony of the Seas 6 night Caribbean sailing January 7, 2024 (which is basically the same itinerary just 1 less port/night). My question essentially is, what is the likelihood the 7 night drops back down in pricing over the next few weeks? I don’t know whether to secure the 6 night to be safe and have a cruise booked in general or take the chance to wait and see if the 7 night drops knowing the 6 night could raise in price too. I’m waiting for a travel agent to get back to me hopefully today, but just thought I’d check on this forum if anyone has any good advice when it comes to their sales and what I should do in this scenario. Thanks so much 🙂!

Edited by mizzkellzee

9 minutes ago, mizzkellzee said:

My question essentially is, what is the likelihood the 7 night drops back down in pricing over the next few weeks?

Do you have a coin to flip? Prices swing all the time based on inventory, but you can book and then get price drops all the way till final payment (90 days out usually).

• Thanks 1

Royal Caribbean has a sale every single day, they just change the name of it. Their prices fluctuate almost daily and the difference in price usually has nothing to do with the current "sale". If you find a ship/itinerary that you want at a price that is within your budget, book it. Keep an eye out for the next "sale" and see if the price has gone down. If it has, you can call RCI or your TA (whoever you booked with) and get your cruise repriced.

• Like 2

If you book, then watch prices.  If it goes down before final payment, you can call Royal and they will adjust to the lower price.  I do it all the time, just go 2 price drops yesterday.

Edited by karena1
  • Like 1

I booked a cruise last week and now its 550.00 more . 

It was the same price for several weeks prior to this increase.

I was hoping for a price reduction so i could call RC and get the re-price.

Prices do fluctuate .

My last cruise went down in price 5 times in the 6 months leading up to it.

My next cruise has done nothing but go up in price. In fact I looked at the price initially (10 months before the cruise) and figured I'd wait a couple weeks because I knew a potential "holiday sale" was coming, and I wasn't super positive I was gonna take the cruise. About 3 weeks later the price had gone up $500/person, and has only continued to go up since then (it's now $2500 more than when I booked it in October, and the cruise isn't for 7 more months).

No harm in just putting the deposit down now, make sure you choose the refundable option, and then if you decide not to go, you can cancel it with no penalty as long as the final payment date hasn't happened yet. If the price goes down, you can call to get the price adjusted. 

• Thanks 1

It's "Wave Season" right now, the prices are among the best they will be for 2023 until the end of the year. Wave Season is generally end of December to March when the most cruises are booked for the year. Most cruise lines will offer their best deals of the year outside of the Holiday/Black Friday timeframe. 

Get yourself a good travel agent and they will take care of price matching for you if your cruise fare drops before final payment. They'll also help you to pick out the best ship and cabin location for your vacation needs. Have fun! 

16 hours ago, karena1 said:

If you book, then watch prices.  If it goes down before final payment, you can call Royal and they will adjust to the lower price.  I do it all the time, just go 2 price drops yesterday.

This is exactly what I did.  I  booked a seven day balcony on wonder about a year out. A few months later, I got $400 taken off. 

I then texted my friend and she only waited a few hours, and it ended up only getting her $200 off.  

16 hours ago, karena1 said:

I booked our current cruise on Wonder last year, NextCruise, onboard ship. It was pricey. Was told no worries, watch for a sale, call and they will drop your price. 
I tried that. Called a Royal rep ( not a TA) and was told oh no, the sale applies to new bookings only. 
So not doing NextCruise this year!

If you don’t use a travel agent, how do you learn that the price has dropped?

Anyone have a tried and true strategy?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, FlatFooted Freda said:

I booked our current cruise on Wonder last year, NextCruise, onboard ship. It was pricey. Was told no worries, watch for a sale, call and they will drop your price. 
I tried that. Called a Royal rep ( not a TA) and was told oh no, the sale applies to new bookings only. 

Call back.  For North American bookings I have never seen a sale that is for new bookings only.

You have to keep doing mock bookings on the website to check the price

38 minutes ago, FlatFooted Freda said:

I watch prices pretty much daily or every other day.  I go in and do mock bookings.  If it goes down from what I paid, i call and get it lowered.  Unless it specifically for new bookings, I never have an issue getting price drops before final payment.  I am a TA, but I did this even before I became one.  You just have to take the time to check it.

46 minutes ago, FlatFooted Freda said:

Did the promo say new bookings only.  I've booked on board many times and always got a price reduction.  Did you do a mock booking and if price difference you can call and get it adjusted.   

29 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Did the promo say new bookings only.  I've booked on board many times and always got a price reduction.  Did you do a mock booking and if price difference you can call and get it adjusted.   

Pretty much every promo has "New bookings only" buried in the fine print and it's never enforced

• Like 1

I had seen a price drop.  It wasn't much but $50/pp is $200.  I had my TA call, and they said it would be $100/pp (or was it per room?) to change to the new rate.  I'd booked after the Covid easy change rules had expired.  

Now the cruise has doubled in price.  I suspect because the ports for the same ship with nearby dates were downgraded, but mine with different ports is as original.   Voyager early 2024.   

• 1 year later...
On 1/28/2023 at 8:40 AM, Ourusualbeach said:

Call back.  For North American bookings I have never seen a sale that is for new bookings only.

You have to keep doing mock bookings on the website to check the price

Yes, with royal math price can be lower and fees go up!  Therefore, lower initial cost higher final price! All part of the fun!