Where's the best port to pet a grizzly bear?

Sigyn

56 minutes ago, njsmom said:

I'd love to pet a live grizzly bear on one of our excursions. Where can I find the best place to do that? 

🙂

You have to be kidding.  Please tell me that you are not serious about your question.

DON

• Like 10
  • Haha 8

If this post was serious then I wonder if the poster has any idea of the size of bears claws and the damage even a thirty pound bear can do.  I live in Interior Alaska -- and if you have a bear in your neighborhood you have a problem.  Actually, you have serious problem.  And I mean SERIOUS problem .

I quickly  checked the website for the Fortress of the Bear.  It was a quick check about it appears to me that even there the closest they state you can get to a bear is 25 feet.  And that is from the viewing platforms down into the old timber pulp mill bins.

• Like 2

There are plenty of places where STUFFED Bear are filled with something other than human

entrails. Feel free to amble up and pet these - (Anchorage Airport - Tongass shops in Ketchikan)

And don't be expecting to pet those baby bears fresh out of mama's womb !

Unless you have had some recent tasty salt water food - you aren't an appetizer !

• Like 1

12 hours ago, donaldsc said:

You have to be kidding.  Please tell me that you are not serious about your question.

DON

Why would I joke about such serious things???????? Doesn't everyone want to pet a live grizzly as the last thing they do? 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

no he did not come in my tent. I was in a one man tent and he ripped the top of tent off and got on top of me.I was on my stomach on a sleeping bag and he sunk his canine teeth into my shoulder. He let go for a minute and sunk his teeth in my shoulder again. That's when I decided to do something and started yelling for my nephew in the camper as he had a gun. When he opened the window of his camper he must have startled the bear and he ran off. Every article I have read had a different story and nobody talked to me. I guess tasting bad is a good thing!LOL 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, diesel1973 said:

no he did not come in my tent. I was in a one man tent and he ripped the top of tent off and got on top of me.I was on my stomach on a sleeping bag and he sunk his canine teeth into my shoulder. He let go for a minute and sunk his teeth in my shoulder again. That's when I decided to do something and started yelling for my nephew in the camper as he had a gun. When he opened the window of his camper he must have startled the bear and he ran off. Every article I have read had a different story and nobody talked to me. I guess tasting bad is a good thing!LOL 

Wow - I can't top that! 🙂 Glad it had a good outcome!

• Like 1

We do not have that many bears in Kentucky, a few in eastern Ky but really not that many. But if you go to Gatlinburg, TN and hang around the dumpsters at the Park Vista hotel there is a bunch of them. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, diesel1973 said:

Have you ever gone camping again? I cannot imagine anything so scary. 

6 hours ago, diesel1973 said:

Don't do tents and carry a gun.

Makes sense. Some friends and I were camping in tents in King's Canyon in Sequoia National Park in California several years ago and after dinner, while taking the trash to the bear-proof trash dumpster, a black bear walked up to take the bag away. Just dropped it and backed up slowly to go back to the campsite. So disturbing! The bear licked all of the dinner wrappers and waddled off to another campsite. We heard people banging on pots and pans all night long to run him off.