Solo traveling on Viking

bouy

I’ve never cruises Viking before but I’m love the itinerary on a January 2025  Western Caribbean sailing . But was wondering what is it really like on such a small boat . After just returning from vacation with over 4000 on a ship under 1000 sounds really relaxing. And was just wondering if anyone solos have cruised with them . Any input would be greatly appreciated 

1 hour ago, basenji56 said:

Cruised as a solo in December. No issues 

But not a lot of other solos if that matters to you 

No break from paying for two. 

My mother in law has cruised twice with Viking. The first time was a promo for a 150% supplement. On the second she was able to negotiate the same reduction. 

I have not cruised solo, but we have met several solo's on Viking.  Our experience from their comments are that if you are outgoing then you will meet people and have a great time, but if you are not willing to put yourself out there then you may feel isolated.

Ask at the dining room if there are share tables that you can be seated at.

Engage with folks during excursions.  Excursions are where we have met the solo travellers that we have spent time with.

It is my experience on Viking Ocean that people are creatures of habit.  If they eat on the Port side in the World Cafe, they will typically always eat on the Port side.  Keeping structure like this will put you in front of the same people more often.  Not that everyone goes at exactly the same time, but we have found that we recognize more and more people as the days go on.  This will allow you to strike up conversations with the people sitting near you.

I hoping to get a code or something I tried some that I had seen on another board   but they didn't work i think because its so far out. But I called for a brochure because  the Rep said there would be an offer in there. So I see that they say there is a mini bar in the cabins and that it refilled daily what does that consist of? Currently they are offering beer and wine  with lunch and dinner so how much would a beverage package be? I like an evening cocktail and maybe a frozen drink once and a while .  

And thanks for the tips everyone 

Welcome to Viking!

Viking’s “Silver Spirit” beverage package which covers almost all alcohol onboard costs $25 per person per day.  Drinks on board are around $9-11 so you can do the math and see if it is worthwhile for you to purchase. The package also gives you access to upgrade wines by the glass during lunch and dinner. Typically they offer a white and a red as “included” so if you’re like me and occasionally like a glass of sparkling or a dessert wine, the package comes in handy. 

Viking allows you to bring on your own alcohol so if you just one one cocktail a day, it may be a better financial deal to do that. We figure we need to average 2.4 drinks a day to break even…not hard for us to do on a cruise with lots of sea days, but on port intensive cruises we usually just go à la carte. Our Travel Agent provides onboard credit which covers our gratuity and leaves enough for a few drinks and then we just pay for the remainder of the bar bill. 

If you haven’t discovered it yet, this thread offers lots of good information to those new to Viking:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2416372-tips-for-new-viking-ocean-cruisers/page/62/#comment-62141739

• Like 1

We just finished a Viking Venus, which departed Jan 12.  On Jan 13, 5:45 pm, the program shows a "Solo Travellers Get Together".  I would expect that this happens on other ships and trips. We also met a number of singles, including at a shared table.  That was an excellent evening!

Karen

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reuben's 3rd said:

We just finished a Viking Venus, which departed Jan 12.  On Jan 13, 5:45 pm, the program shows a "Solo Travellers Get Together".  I would expect that this happens on other ships and trips. We also met a number of singles, including at a shared table.  That was an excellent evening!

Karen

I’ve seen these on our sailings also. Tried to get DMIL to go but she wouldn’t. 

15 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Same access but not the same price. 

The price on a "pay as you go" basis is finite and known. Price per drink with the package varies and is unknown.

Edited by duquephart

2 hours ago, Reuben's 3rd said:

Karen

Glad to see the shared table concept is back. Pre- Covid I loved doing a shared table for lunch on sea days  in the Restaraunt Met  some  new  fellow  passengers that way. 

Edited by Azulann
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Reuben's 3rd said:

5:45 pm, the program shows a "Solo Travellers Get Together".  I would expect that this happens on other ships and trips.

I saw that "Solo Travelers Get Together" advertised on my Viking cruise too. 

I showed up. 

Scanned the room for a solo Viking resembling the scruffy-yet-capable-looking gentleman on Viking's "Explore" magazine cover.   

Alas, everyone else present was a couple.

::sniff::  ::sadness::

Someone told me I was the only true "solo" traveler on that British Isles Explorer.   

BTW I immensely enjoyed the cruise and ~ 3-4 couples I met, one of whom I still text with at random moments since. 

@TwitchlyI really wish our paths had crossed - do you have any future cruises planned? 

@Clay Clayton dang it man,  I need your mom to negotiate for me that 150% supplement with Viking! Pleeeease? 

• Haha 1

On 1/31/2023 at 11:01 AM, Clay Clayton said:

Welcome to Viking!

Viking’s “Silver Spirit” beverage package which covers almost all alcohol onboard costs $25 per person per day.  Drinks on board are around $9-11 so you can do the math and see if it is worthwhile for you to purchase. The package also gives you access to upgrade wines by the glass during lunch and dinner. Typically they offer a white and a red as “included” so if you’re like me and occasionally like a glass of sparkling or a dessert wine, the package comes in handy. 

Viking allows you to bring on your own alcohol so if you just one one cocktail a day, it may be a better financial deal to do that. We figure we need to average 2.4 drinks a day to break even…not hard for us to do on a cruise with lots of sea days, but on port intensive cruises we usually just go à la carte. Our Travel Agent provides onboard credit which covers our gratuity and leaves enough for a few drinks and then we just pay for the remainder of the bar bill. 

If you haven’t discovered it yet, this thread offers lots of good information to those new to Viking:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2416372-tips-for-new-viking-ocean-cruisers/page/62/#comment-62141739

I’ve got another question on smaller ships like these does location matter ? I know price wise lower decks are cheaper but cabin size seems to be all the same unless you’re in a suite or above . I would think the front of the ship you might feel the movement a little more 🤷🏻‍♀️

2 hours ago, bouy said:

I’ve got another question on smaller ships like these does location matter ? I know price wise lower decks are cheaper but cabin size seems to be all the same unless you’re in a suite or above . I would think the front of the ship you might feel the movement a little more 🤷🏻‍♀️

Higher and fore and aft have more movement, lower center less. 

All cabins within a class are the same with some minor exceptions. This blog has a section on cabins to avoid as well as an overview of all the cabins.

PV are wider which allows for a dresser at the end of the bed and for the closet to be parallel with the entry hall which I find much easier to access than in DV/Vs where it is parallel to the bed.  With the closet moved the floor space in PV is also longer so there is room for a sofa and chair instead of the two chairs found in  DV/Vs. You can see the difference in the photos below. The first two are of a V or DV and the second two are of a PV. 

V staterooms come with a fridge drawer stocked with four sodas and a couple of bags of nuts or chips. Once consumed they are not refilled. 

DVs have the same but they are replenished daily. Additionally, there will be a Nespresso coffee maker.

PVs have all that a DV has but also has complimentary pressing and shoe shines.

Availability to book excursions/restaurants/spa treatments are opened based on stateroom category as follows. The numbers shown are days prior to embarkation. 

Owner’s Suite (OS) 107/100/100

Explorer’s Suites(ES) 97/90/90

Penthouse Junior Suites (PS) 87/80/80

Penthouse Veranda (PS) 77/70/70

Deluxe Veranda (DV) 66/60/60

Veranda (V) 60/onboard/onboard

The number of restaurant reservations that can be made prior to boarding is also based on category and is 1 for a DV and goes up to 3 for those in the Explorer’s Suites

We have sailed at the V level and have no issues with doing so. We “replenish” the fridge by asking for a can of unopened soda at the bar on our way from lunch. We have never had an issue with getting a reservation for an alternative restaurant once onboard especially if we were flexible with when we would do so.  We loved being on Deck 3 forward and being able to hear the bow wake so disagree with the blogger’s opinion (previous post) on those  staterooms.

We have sailed in a DV when it was offered as a promotional fare. Having the inroom coffeemaker was nice but the one available at the Living Room bar is much better. Some (heavier packers than us) also prefer having the extra shelf that disappears when you have a coffee maker.

We were offered an upgrade ($199/pp) once to a PV and enjoyed the extra space, the pressing, and the easier to access closets.  But not enough to much more than that for it. 😂

D4CBB0E1-A69A-49DA-BB91-F7C75846D805.jpeg

17CFAB90-3C69-406D-A81D-C3D0935F7EE8.jpeg

DFDAB346-A588-45AE-8E3A-6958839FA8F3.webp

B08B65A1-0141-4DF0-B783-849A5CCC7607.webp

• Like 2

Never availed ourselves of pressing or shoeshine but the "free" laundry in PS category was very welcome. Being able to get around the bed without bruising one's self was also nice. The best part was the extra room/TV so you could relax and not have to lie on the bed and crane your neck. Close second was the extra space in the bathroom/shower. Everything just "nicer" all 'round. Whether worth the extra $$$ is a personal thing but hard to be kept down on the farm after seeing Paree.

Edited by duquephart
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2