Is P&O becoming Carnival’s Budget Cruise Line?

Tablelamp

1 minute ago, Teddy123 said:

It's obvious the only source is the OP's opinion of P&O.

Fair comment. However rather than deletion perhaps renaming it to "Are P&O now Carnival's Budget Cruise Line?" might be more appropriate.  As Yorkshirephil says threads for discussion are based very often in hearsay or opinions.

Unfortunately in all walks of life I find proper discussion on some important topics often gets curtailed by people screaming their opinion is the only one that counts and therefore matters get lost in the maelstrom of arguments about rights and wrongs.

The OP is yet to set sail on her cruise and has clearly formed a lot of her opinion from statements and comments read on these boards, she is clearly nervous about what to expect.  Perhaps that is something those of us who have posted recently could seek to alleviate her fears over rather than her anxiety leading to fortune telling by her?

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, sandancer said:

Fair comment Megabear2 but I’d still like to know where this information originated from. Hopefully the OP will come back and confirm the source. 

I think she is an elderly lady using a definitive statement she has personally made, hence why I think it isn't based on fact but rather what posters on here (myself included) have led her to believe.  Apart from reports from her friend on Iona she appears to have read every negative comment on every P&O thread and built it into a catastrophe waiting to happen, at least in her mind. Sadly CC board posters are probably culpable in her forming this opinion.

If we are honest she has been ridiculed over shellfish, bananas, face masks and covid tests. Those jokes have been at her expense when she raised what to her were issues impacting her personal experience.

• Like 7

But if you view the proposition this way………….

Cambridge International AS & A Level Travel and Tourism (9395)

Question 2: Carnival’s Budget Cruise Line - Carnival have decreed that P & 0 should be their budget Cruise Line.

Discuss, with particular reference to the economic, sociological and demographic factors in a changing British cruise and travel market.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

When you consider that lots of threads are only someones opinion or third hand information there wouldn't be much left. Especially when some of the people have decided P&O have gone downmarket regardless of the fact that they have not cruised for several years. I have just read a scathing report about Queen Elizabeth on facecloth saying the same about Cunard.

Yes there are cutbacks on P&O we recognised that in Dec but enjoyed the cruise and booked another onboard to go with the two already booked. I am not a P&O lover by any means, if I had to give all round score for the four cruises we did last year P&O would probably be bottom, just. But overall I am happy with their product and will use it as and when I see fit. You pay your money and take your chances.

The header of this thread says that ‘ Carnival have decreed that P&O should be their budget cruise line’. This is not opinion, it is presented as a statement of fact. That is why I asked for the source of the information. If it is opinion, it should be presented as such, otherwise it is at best misleading and at worst a lie. 

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, pete14 said:

The header of this thread says that ‘ Carnival have decreed that P&O should be their budget cruise line’. This is not opinion, it is presented as a statement of fact. That is why I asked for the source of the information. If it is opinion, it should be presented as such, otherwise it is at best misleading and at worst a lie. 

Looking at Harry's post above yours, that seems pretty definitive if it's in a September 2022 publication - I just checked - for education of those looking to be travel experts.

However I do believe the thread has validity if renamed and think this lady should be given a break now.

For the avoidance of doubt:

https://www.cambridgeinternational.org/programmes-and-qualifications/cambridge-international-as-and-a-level-travel-and-tourism-9395/

Edited by Megabear2

16 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Question 2: Carnival’s Budget Cruise Line - Carnival have decreed that P & 0 should be their budget Cruise Line.

Discuss, with particular reference to the economic, sociological and demographic factors in a changing British cruise and travel market.

I suspect that is a made up statement designed to be considered in an examination. It is very common practice in setting examinations, used widely by teachers and examiners to prompt discussion, analysis and evaluation. Arguments for different points of view will be required in order to gain at least a reasonable mark. Personally, I think it is bit irresponsible and misleading but I think  many on here could have a good go at it.

Edited by pete14

2 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Looking at Harry's post above yours, that seems pretty definitive if it's in a September 2022 publication - I just checked - for education of those looking to be travel experts.

However I do believe the thread has validity if renamed and think this lady should be given a break now.

Apologies. I should make it clear that it was just a suggestion - based entirely on a fertile imagination! 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Well spotted Harry. Perhaps after the last full stop in the title, the word ' discuss ' could be added. We could then pretend we are children and let our imaginations run wild...........Oh , !!!!🤔

10 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Apologies. I should make it clear that it was just a suggestion - based entirely on a fertile imagination! 

To clear up any doubt Harry, can you please confirm that what you have posted as a question from a Cambridge International AS and A level travel and tourism (9395) examination is not a genuine one and it hasn’t appeared on any examination paper. 

Having skim read the syllabus on the link provided, as I noticed no mention of Carnival, P&O or any other cruise line, such a specific question would be invalid and certainly would not be used. In a general question, students may be expected to give examples they may have learned, but if there are no examples of specific companies specified in the syllabus, no specific companies will be highlighted in the question. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I appreciate that, hence I said I think the thread renamed could lead to discussion.  

My point is that the OP isn't the only one using that description albeit in an exam book. 

However she has beyond any doubt gone from someone really looking forward to her cruise to someone who is now very doubtful to what she has committed to - reading back over her posts that is glaringly obvious.  

A lot of her worries and comments are a direct result of things posted on these boards.  Carelessly we have apparently worried her that her cruise will be a bit of a nightmare.  

Despite all this it's a valid point, are P&O now a budget cruise line, what exactly is a "budget cruise line" and how should they be looked at in the apparent star ratings travel agents use?

The lady in question might have worded it badly and her post is ill named but it remains a big question many on these boards have been consistently hinting at.

2 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I appreciate that, hence I said I think the thread renamed could lead to discussion.  

My point is that the OP isn't the only one using that description albeit in an exam book. 

However she has beyond any doubt gone from someone really looking forward to her cruise to someone who is now very doubtful to what she has committed to - reading back over her posts that is glaringly obvious.  

A lot of her worries and comments are a direct result of things posted on these boards.  Carelessly we have apparently worried her that her cruise will be a bit of a nightmare.  

Despite all this it's a valid point, are P&O now a budget cruise line, what exactly is a "budget cruise line" and how should they be looked at in the apparent star ratings travel agents use?

The lady in question might have worded it badly and her post is ill named but it remains a big question many on these boards have been consistently hinting at.

Some...on these boards. Some on these boards. Would you care to give an idea on whom you consider a budget holiday brand ?. If P&O are budget ,why has my cruise just cost £5k.