New survey - watch your email

Mary229

5 hours ago, KroozNut said:

Care to share your opinion of some of their weaknesses, or is the list too long and you'd rather not take the time?

Enrichment lectures are now canned multimedia presentations hosted by the CD or Shore Ex manager instead of an expert lecturer.  As I have often said the whole canned, branded entertainment package is cheesy. This is not so much a cutback but a poor management decision.  Instead of hiring their own staff to create enriching and engaging programs they simply bought a package.

Reduction or complete removal of local entertainment and regional culinary events

The dining experience is just off with not only food quality but reduction of wait staff.  It simply is not as attentive as it was. I, personally, like the smaller portions but the quality of the food has gone down.  It is still good but I do miss the standard fare menu - crème brûlée, the herbed chicken and so on.   I agree with others in that there is a larger reliance on bread and pasta.

The little misses like no chocolates, towel animals, etc… don’t bother me but they do signal a reduction in the attention to detail and whimsy.  

I do hope they bring back the Mariner events.  As much as many scoff at these events they do provide an opportunity to meet, not only the officers, but other travelers of a kindred spirit.

What they do right is great itineraries, clean ships and a crew that is truly welcoming.

• Like 7

56 minutes ago, BetsyS. said:

Mary 229 - Thanks for your comments. I agree with everything you said, especially the last paragraph. I think HAL has the best crew at sea. 

I agree, too. I forgot about the creme brulee. That was always a good choice. Fruit crisps are gone, too. I know I had dessert every night, but I don't remember what I had, and I've only been home a week, so they can't have been outstanding. 

Sure, some things could be better. And sometimes, I get grumpy about the front desk or the shorex people. But I took this picture to remind myself that "a bad day at sea is better than a good day at work."

THIS is why I cruise.

IMG_20230120_103723806_HDR.jpg

• Like 9

3rdGenCunarder - Thanks for the great picture!  My stepfather and I were on the 

Niew Statendam for 24 days last August. If my memory is correct, we had 

fruit crisps for dessert in the MDR on several nights. They were good. 

Flavors were berry, banana, and apple. The waiters put a scoop of vanilla

ice cream on top. 

I'm retired, but I think that "a bad day at sea is better than cooking,

doing dishes and laundry at home."

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My other half received this from HAL:

As a valued Holland America Line guest, you're invited to join the private Holland America Line insider community!

Participation in the online community offers a unique opportunity to regularly share your thoughts and opinions with Holland America. It is a space for you and other guests to provide feedback through polls and surveys, test new ideas to improve the guest experience, and participate in your own discussions with like-minded guests. It is an opportunity to exchange comments about your experiences and initiate ideas about the latest in cruising and travel with Holland America Line.

Please click the survey link below to express your interest in participating.  We hope you'll join us!”

Submitting the interest opened another item, including an agreement to not disclose information outside that community. 
Interesting…..

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, TiogaCruiser said:

As a valued Holland America Line guest, you're invited to join the private Holland America Line insider community!

Participation in the online community offers a unique opportunity to regularly share your thoughts and opinions with Holland America. It is a space for you and other guests to provide feedback through polls and surveys, test new ideas to improve the guest experience, and participate in your own discussions with like-minded guests. It is an opportunity to exchange comments about your experiences and initiate ideas about the latest in cruising and travel with Holland America Line.

Please click the survey link below to express your interest in participating.  We hope you'll join us!”

I am hoping to receive that one.  

4 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I agree, too. I forgot about the creme brulee. That was always a good choice. Fruit crisps are gone, too. I know I had dessert every night, but I don't remember what I had, and I've only been home a week, so they can't have been outstanding. 

Sure, some things could be better. And sometimes, I get grumpy about the front desk or the shorex people. But I took this picture to remind myself that "a bad day at sea is better than a good day at work."

THIS is why I cruise.

IMG_20230120_103723806_HDR.jpg

They still have the fruit crisps, but you have to ask for them.  Its a secret ;).  At least this was the case on the koningsdam.

Edited by Florida_gal_50
  • Haha 1

I just got this email from HAL asking we take their in-depth survey. We thought it was funny as we’re currently on an NCL Caribbean cruise and haven’t cruise with HAL since we went on an Australia circumnavigation cruise on the Maasdam in Oct 2019. But we took the survey, and pretty much explained via answering their questions why we stopped cruising with them.

Simply put, we very much enjoyed cruising with HAL prior to their introduction of the Music Walk along with the simultaneous reduction in quality guest performances and production shows in the main theater. We basically told them if they start providing a quality product again that can compete with the wide variety of entertainment, to also include professional lectures, we continually receive on our recent Princess and Celebrity cruises, we would very much enjoy booking 3-5 week cruises with them again.

Although we did think it was interesting that in their survey they asked if we would be willing to pay extra if they offered certain shows, like Cirque Du Soleil, VIP theater seating, escape room, and other amenities while on the cruise. Of course our answer was no. It will be interesting to see in which direction HAL decides to take in the coming years. 

Help Us Create Your Ideal Cruise Experience

Hello Kenneth,

As a previous Holland America Line guest, we value your opinion. What did you think of the  onboard entertainment, activities, and shore excursionsoffered during your most recent cruise? What did you enjoy most and what would you like to see more of in the future?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Submitting the interest opened another item, including an agreement to not disclose information outside that community. 
Interesting…..

I got that one...

• Like 1

On 2/3/2023 at 11:34 AM, TiogaCruiser said:

Interesting…..

I got it too and joined tonight. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Expo67 said:

Just completed the Alaska and Culinary surveys. Looks like they are trying to find more ways to implement more surcharges if I read the questions correctly. 🫣

To me they seem more like advertisements than surveys. 

• Like 1