Managing your stuff on excursions, what to take with you advice...

Ruminant

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but first time cruiser here on the NCL Encore in March.  I'm trying to figure out what to pack.  For example I do some ameteur photography and have a modest camera and lenses and am wondering if its worth taking my camera on the cruise or should I just use my phone.  We're wondering about how people manage their possessions on excursions - like what do you do with your stuff if you jump in for a swim?  I'd love some tips and advice. 

• Like 1

I  created an excursion spread sheet so I  never forget something I will need on shore.

makes early morning excursions easy to get ready for.

I love to take photos & movies. My name, phone#  and email are labeled on my electronics just in case. For many years I have been using a "pack safe" which comes in various sizes and can be attached to anything solid on land to store my stuff. Makes it much harder to steal items when I am in the water. I also use a waterproof neck lanyard for cell phone & credit card.

Some of the items on my list are; emergency #s, listed in the dailies, ziplock bag for wet stuff, towel, sunglass, sun screen, hat, cash, credit card, phone, extra camera battery, I bring water shoes, snorkel gear, bandages, Tylenol.  Hope this helps. 🙂

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, eltigre said:

I  created an excursion spread sheet so I  never forget something I will need on shore.

makes early morning excursions easy to get ready for.

I love to take photos & movies. My name, phone#  and email are labeled on my electronics just in case. For many years I have been using a "pack safe" which comes in various sizes and can be attached to anything solid on land to store my stuff. Makes it much harder to steal items when I am in the water. I also use a waterproof neck lanyard for cell phone & credit card.

Some of the items on my list are; emergency #s, listed in the dailies, ziplock bag for wet stuff, towel, sunglass, sun screen, hat, cash, credit card, phone, extra camera battery, I bring water shoes, snorkel gear, bandages, Tylenol.  Hope this helps. 🙂

So much good info. Thank you!  I already have a cruise spreadsheet going with schedule, deck plans, etc ... adding an excursion page now. (I'm a tad OCD) I already purchased the waterproof phonecases on lanyards and even waist packs just in case.  I guess my biggest decision is if I'm going to take my camera.

• Like 2

I always take a camera but it also depends on your destination, your phone and your camera.  I feel somewhat lost without a telephoto lens, so I've never not taken a camera on a cruise.

I'm always looking for wildlife, so I schlep my "big" camera -think Canon with 285 telephoto lens until recently (upgraded to Lumix with auto 600x telephoto, same size/weight) on wildlife/scenic cruises.

For non-wildlife locations, I have a smaller Canon that I usually take - easily fits in a fanny pack and takes reasonable pictures, small and lightweight. It sometimes just stays on the ship - but I also take a lot of sunrise/sunset pictures, so it comes along.

For city tours, I often just take my phone - it works fine for historical sights, etc.  Not a stay on the beach person, so I can't really address what to do while swimming.  If you take an excursion, you can normally leave stuff on the bus.

Whatever you do, be aware of your surroundings.  Cameras and phones are prime targets for grab and run - no matter where you are traveling.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Ruminant said:

I already purchased the waterproof phonecases on lanyards and even waist packs just in case.  I guess my biggest decision is if I'm going to take my camera.

Play it safe and double plastic bag anything placed in any waterproof case: Place item in a bag that can be zipped closed, place bag with its opening at the bottom of a second bag that can be also zipped closed.

It prevents any problems should your case not be completely closed.

Edited by Homosassa
  • Like 3

When we go to the beach, we take as few valuables as possible. Our sea pass cards and photo IDs, some cash, and a credit card go into a waterproof waist or neck pack, as does the one phone we bring. 

I wear glasses, and on beach days I wear my backup pair and leave my regular glasses behind. For reading, we have cheap little Kindles.  I have a small waterproof camera that I either leave in my beach bag (depending on where we are) or attach to a floating wrist strap and take into the water. 

As for the camera conundrum, I am also an enthusiastic photographer, but as I’ve gotten older, I’ve grown very tired of schlepping a camera, lenses, and batteries around. My iPhone 13 Pro takes incredible photos in most situations. Yes, you give up length, and some other things.  

This fall, I experimented by leaving the camera behind and taking only my phone on a 3-week land tour in the UK. I did not regret that decision one bit. That said, I’m on a Panama Canal cruise now and have brought my camera too, since we are hoping to see wildlife in Costa Rica. I think the decision is a personal one and really depends on where you are going and what situations you are likely to encounter, and your tolerance for not missing what you may give up if you leave the camera behind. And perhaps also if you are flying and there’s only so much stuff you can take. 

Enjoy your first cruise!

Edited by Turtles06
  • Like 5

34 minutes ago, julig22 said:

I feel somewhat lost without a telephoto lens, so I've never not taken a camera on a cruise.

I'm always looking for wildlife,

This is where I'm at - I photograph birds, animals, sunrises, sunsets, the moon and nature scenery and would be lost without my telephoto lens.  The cruise is to St. Thomas, Tortola, Puerta Plata and Nassau.  We have brief beach excursions in the first three combined with site seeing - Nassau probably going empty handed - just phone since we're going to just walk about and visit a few popular spots.  I know I'm going to want to jump in the water though.

19 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

When we go to the beach, we take as few valuables as possible. Our sea pass cards and photo IDs, some cash, and a credit card go into a waterproof waist or neck pack, as does the one phone we bring. 

I wear glasses, and on beach days I wear my backup pair and leave my regular glasses behind. For reading, we have cheap little Kindles.  I have a small waterproof camera that I either leave in my beach bag (depending on where we are) or attach to a floating wrist strap and take into the water. 

As for the camera conundrum, I am also an enthusiastic photographer, but as I’ve gotten older, I’ve grown very tired of schlepping a camera, lenses, and batteries around. My iPhone 13 Pro takes incredible photos in most situations. Yes, you give up length, and some other things.  

This fall, I experimented by leaving the camera behind and taking only my phone on a 3-week land tour in the UK. I did not regret that decision one bit. That said, I’m on a Panama Canal cruise now and have brought my camera too, since we are hoping to see wildlife in Costa Rica. I think the decision is a personal one and really depends on where you are going and what situations you are likely to encounter, and your tolerance for not missing what you may give up if you leave the camera behind. And perhaps also if you are flying and there’s only so much stuff you can take. 

Enjoy your first cruise!

Thank you!  All very helpful in helping me decide.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Ruminant said:

This is where I'm at - I photograph birds, animals, sunrises, sunsets, the moon and nature scenery and would be lost without my telephoto lens.  The cruise is to St. Thomas, Tortola, Puerta Plata and Nassau.  We have brief beach excursions in the first three combined with site seeing - Nassau probably going empty handed - just phone since we're going to just walk about and visit a few popular spots.  I know I'm going to want to jump in the water though.

Are you really considering taking that good camera with your telephoto lens to the beach around all that sand. If you are they you are going on a picture safari, and not a trip to the beach where you will do any beach activities. 

2 hours ago, Ruminant said:

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but first time cruiser here on the NCL Encore in March.  I'm trying to figure out what to pack.  For example I do some ameteur photography and have a modest camera and lenses and am wondering if it’s worth taking my camera on the cruise or should I just use my phone.  We're wondering about how people manage their possessions on excursions - like what do you do with your stuff if you jump in for a swim?  I'd love some tips and advice. 

If you enjoy photography, bring your camera. Plan you day around being outside at sunset (look at weather.com or similar for sunrise/sunset times which will change as you sail south). 

At the beach, it is really what your risk tolerance is. We carry limited items that if someone took them, the world would not come to an end. But, have no issue leaving a small camera, iPhone, GoPro, some cash, ID and Freestyle room key in a small duffle. 

We always pack ziplocks of various sizes to keep things dry and out of the sand. 

You never know when you’ll want to photograph…

A beach in Puerto Plata

F46F1F61-6633-420B-9C0B-48DBC062DA44.thumb.jpeg.7afd02aa168271dab53f72c5232f9b5e.jpeg

Tortola

AF033A29-D3A2-42AC-BA1C-22B6A0DAE9D9.thumb.jpeg.41972b0557de848d53001c614395c8ad.jpeg

St Thomas

B04A9090-8130-4C3C-875E-F7867D017EFD.thumb.jpeg.726359b7a7c666b6a6c08148c8616424.jpeg

Or New York??!?

3613835A-4C8B-4A59-9A1B-DD216D6ED4A9.thumb.jpeg.d3eb645f5b7084accf36437958f69fb9.jpeg

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 4

50 minutes ago, zqvol said:

Are you really considering taking that good camera with your telephoto lens to the beach around all that sand. If you are they you are going on a picture safari, and not a trip to the beach where you will do any beach activities. 

Good point.

44 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

If you enjoy photography, bring your camera. Plan you day around being outside at sunset (look at weather.com or similar for sunrise/sunset times which will change as you sail south). 

At the beach, it is really what your risk tolerance is. We carry limited items that if someone took them, the world would not come to an end. But, have no issue leaving a small camera, iPhone, GoPro, some cash, ID and Freestyle room key in a small duffle. 

We always pack ziplocks of various sizes to keep things dry and out of the sand. 

You never know when you’ll want to photograph…

A beach in Puerto Plata

F46F1F61-6633-420B-9C0B-48DBC062DA44.thumb.jpeg.7afd02aa168271dab53f72c5232f9b5e.jpeg

Tortola

AF033A29-D3A2-42AC-BA1C-22B6A0DAE9D9.thumb.jpeg.41972b0557de848d53001c614395c8ad.jpeg

St Thomas

B04A9090-8130-4C3C-875E-F7867D017EFD.thumb.jpeg.726359b7a7c666b6a6c08148c8616424.jpeg

Or New York??!?

3613835A-4C8B-4A59-9A1B-DD216D6ED4A9.thumb.jpeg.d3eb645f5b7084accf36437958f69fb9.jpeg

What gorgeous photos! This is what makes it hard. Do I want to try and photograph new surroundings or just enjoy it the first time.

Get yourself a "dry-bag" like the one I've linked below that is large enough to take your camera and one lens already mounted.  Use a towel from the ship to act as padding since these bags are not padded.  This is the setup I use if I'm going on any excursion that will require me to be on a smaller moving boat (snorkeling, lot's of photo opportunities to/from the snorkle site ), hiking (waterfalls), or canoeing (don't flip the boat!).

Beach excursions, forget it unless you have a partner to keep an eye on things.

And don't forget to test the bag before the trip!

https://smile.amazon.com/Earth-Pak-Waterproof-Dry-Bag/dp/B06XCYF9F9/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=360LM60REZ26Q&keywords=waterproof%2Bbag&qid=1675201330&sprefix=waterproof%2Bba%2Caps%2C87&sr=8-1-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFDMzVHSkJDWEoxTEomZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA2NTg2MjlaUUNaUkVEVUY5VzQmZW5jcnlwdGVkQWRJZD1BMDU5NTc3MTMxQllZT0YxQjFaMUkmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl&th=1&psc=1

Edited by PistolPete13
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

Get yourself a "dry-bag" like the one I've linked below that is large enough to take your camera and one lens already mounted.  Use a towel from the ship to act as padding since these bags are not padded.  This is the setup I use if I'm going on any excursion that will require me to be on a smaller moving boat (snorkeling, lot's of photo opportunities to/from the snorkle site ), hiking (waterfalls), or canoeing (don't flip the boat!).

https://smile.amazon.com/Earth-Pak-Waterproof-Dry-Bag/dp/B06XCYF9F9/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=360LM60REZ26Q&keywords=waterproof%2Bbag&qid=1675201330&sprefix=waterproof%2Bba%2Caps%2C87&sr=8-1-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFDMzVHSkJDWEoxTEomZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA2NTg2MjlaUUNaUkVEVUY5VzQmZW5jcnlwdGVkQWRJZD1BMDU5NTc3MTMxQllZT0YxQjFaMUkmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl&th=1&psc=1

Thank you!

• Like 1

I travel solo so My policy has been as follows

1. If the excursion is on a small boat and involves being in the water then it’s phone and imitation GoPro

2. If the excursion is primarily sightseeing then the mirrorless camera kit comes with me unless the weather is atrocious

3. If it’s Alaska and whale watching then the dSLR kit is coming 

I’m going to post 2 pictures from San Juan Puerto Rico, one from the mirrorless camera (Panasonic lumix gm1) and one from my phone (Samsung s21) 

18D40B97-74BC-4D5D-B49B-07A2DF36F285.jpeg

6AFDEDD7-2075-4BB1-B134-81D405269405.jpeg

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, eileeshb said:

I travel solo so My policy has been as follows

1. If the excursion is on a small boat and involves being in the water then it’s phone and imitation GoPro

2. If the excursion is primarily sightseeing then the mirrorless camera kit comes with me unless the weather is atrocious

3. If it’s Alaska and whale watching then the dSLR kit is coming 

I’m going to post 2 pictures from San Juan Puerto Rico, one from the mirrorless camera (Panasonic lumix gm1) and one from my phone (Samsung s21) 

18D40B97-74BC-4D5D-B49B-07A2DF36F285.jpeg

6AFDEDD7-2075-4BB1-B134-81D405269405.jpeg

Beautiful pictures and thank you 

27 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

Which size bag do you use?

Edited by lgdesign

2 minutes ago, lgdesign said:

I dunno what size Pete uses but a 5Lt is plenty big enough for most cameras unless you’re using a big lens. I bring a 5Lt and a 10Lt with me, the bigger one for wet swimming/snorkelling gear particularly if it’s sharing a space with my camera. There are all sorts of grades of those bags, some with just the roll top Clip, others with backpack straps or a single shoulder strap. I have a few as I work in watersports so I know how handy they can be for keeping stuff dry. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, lgdesign said:

Like @eileeshb said, it depends!  LOL.

I actually have 3 sizes with me.  Small, medium, and large.  They fold flat and take up almost no room in the luggage.  I'm pretty serious with photography so I can have a combination of lenses to attach to the body.  My smallest bag accommodates my smallest setup WITH a towel wrapped around it.

I'm sure you'll want to put other small items in the bags depending on the excursion.  They're excellent for sealing out sand and dirt in addition to being able to float (within reason) if dunked into the water. 

Edited by PistolPete13
  • Like 2

I'm a VERY amateur photographer, but I like taking pictures to remember my vacations by.  I have a Canon Eos M (mirrorless with swappable lenses).  I wouldn't consider bringing it on the beach, but for tender ports or excursions in smaller boats I do bring it.

For city excursions, my pack is a SwissGear pack, in which I also carry (AT THE BOTTOM) one or two quart-size water bottles, plus an aluminum one on the outside. I emptied all three while in Mazatlan!  This pack is also one of my carry-ons for the plane to the port as my tablet fits nicely inside AND it fits well under the seat in front on the plane (aisle seats have a narrower space for this, my daily-carry bag for work doesn't fit as I discovered this month).  This pack fits the camera and second lens while in transit, it has easy access for the main compartment and it's small so it can't be THAT heavy so it's easy to carry all day.

I have a dedicated camera bag (to stow the camera, spare batteries and SD cards) that slips right in the bottom of that bag.

I haven't done a 'beach day' as a solo traveler, but I wouldn't bring my camera, just my phone (now a Pixel 7).  Last time I did a 'beach day' on a cruise was on Royal, at Coco Cay before the pier was complete, and I spent much of my time in the water.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, hallux said:

wouldn't consider bringing it on the beach, but for tender ports or excursions in smaller boats I do bring it.

For city excursions, my pack is a SwissGear pack, in which I also carry (AT THE BOTTOM) one or two quart-size water bottles, plus an aluminum one on the outside. I emptied all three while in Mazatlan!  This pack is also one of my carry-ons for the plane to the port as my tablet fits nicely inside AND it fits well under the seat in front on the plan

This is very helpful. I have a Canon EOS 4000D with an additional telephoto lens. This sounds like a good set up and a good way to do it. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

@PistolPete13is my hero and has posted stunning pictures from his cruises. You can use your camera on the ship. And decide if you want to carry it ashore. 

I think that is probably what I'm going to do and maybe one port where the beach won't be involved.

I've gotten some pretty stunning pictures with my phone while on the ship.

image.thumb.jpeg.bfb8b6ded13b8e7a9847fc0b7f4d7877.jpeg

But an actual camera still gets a better picture (well, that didn't go as planned, seems this re-sampled and isn't as crisp after posting) -

image.thumb.jpeg.273fb59377359fce4f269c3356eefa5b.jpeg

Edited by hallux
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Ruminant said:

We have nearly the same itinerary in March,  We cruised St Thomas and Puerto Plata last year.

I would NOT take any additional cameras with me in Puerto Plata,  Stick with cell phone if you are simply walking around the city.  There are not that many "got to have" photo ops there, IMHO. And it is the least safe of your destinations.

If you are snorkeling or sailing in St. Thomas, cell phone is probably the best.  If touring the island, probably worth taking along the nicer camera.   Salt water/spray/mist is not kind to most electronics.

We have a land tour for Tortola, and I will bring the Canon Rebel. 

If you ever do an Alaskan cruise, then the nicest camera w/telephoto lens is a must.

From last August:

image.thumb.jpeg.7340c39f2196e7995461a15bac07b551.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.9372c6026535274fe94cb37074959304.jpeg

IMG_0269.JPG

• Like 2