Brooklyn Cruise Terminal

caribill

The Brooklyn Cruise Terminal at Red Hook is used by Princess as the embarkation terminal for New York City.

Per the New York Times, this Terminal now has a new current use:

Jan. 21, 2023

With New York City at “its breaking point,” Mayor Eric Adams announced on Saturday that the city would open a new emergency shelter at the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal to help accommodate the influx of migrants.

The relief center will serve some 1,000 single, adult men, Mr. Adams said, a similar capacity to a tent facility that the city had placed on Randalls Island until it shut down last fall after operating for just a month.

The new center will also have a short shelf life: Mr. Adams said it will close ahead of cruise season this spring.

“With more than 41,000 asylum seekers arriving in New York City since last spring and nearly 28,000 asylum seekers currently in our care, our city is at its breaking point,” the mayor told reporters on Saturday.

He added: “We continue to surpass both our moral and legal obligations and meet the needs of people arriving in New York, but as the number of asylum seekers continues to grow, we are in serious need of support from both our state and federal governments.”

• Like 1

21 hours ago, DCThunder said:

It is getting a bit more complicated:

Protesting migrants still won’t budge outside NYC hotel (msn.com)

I'd be VERY surprised if this shelter really goes away by April when the first ships need to use the BCT.

Unexpectedly, I am being reminded of my own experience as a legal migrant, US to Australia, many years ago.

We went through a lengthy application process that included suitability for work in a field that could be used, health, age, etc.

Upon arrival, we were housed in a Quonset hut with communal bathrooms.  We were expected to seek employment and housing. Meals were available in a nearby building, and included a lot of thin oatmeal and rice. If going out for the day, we could request sandwiches. Only children could have milk and fresh oranges.

The unemployment benefits that we qualified for were taken, in full, to pay for the room and meals.

We were exceptionally grateful that we didn't have to seek a hotel and meals on our own, in a new country.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2023 at 4:01 PM, satxdiver said:

We sailed out of Red Hook once since cruising restarted.  For my part they can keep using it for the immigrants and we cruisers use the port in NJ across the river.  

The problem with only sailing out of Bayonne is that you are limited to sailing only on the ships which use Bayonne.

7 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Apparently you prefer Royal Caribbean over Cunard (and sometimes Princess).   There is no accounting for tastes.

I have never cruised with Princess and only with Cunard once.Yes,I prefer RCI than being in a terminal which should not be used for anything other than cruising.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

I have never cruised with Princess and only with Cunard once.Yes,I prefer RCI than being in a terminal which should not be used for anything other than cruising.

Agreed - it seems an ill-conceived (and probably expensive) short-term fix for a long-term problem -- but is the fact that the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal is being temporarily misused a rationale for limiting your cruising experience to just one provider?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Agreed - it seems an ill-conceived (and probably expensive) short-term fix for a long-term problem -- but is the fact that the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal is being temporarily misused a rationale for limiting your cruising experience to just one provider?

I did not infer just one cruise line but just that I will not go out of the Brooklyn Cruise terminal.

17 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I did not infer just one cruise line but just that I will not go out of the Brooklyn Cruise terminal.

When you said that you only cruise out of Bayonne you were effectively saying that you would only cruise RCI.  What other lines sail from there (other than a very, very rare Celebrity)? 

p.s.  You did not infer anything, you implied - and from that I did the inferring.

32 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

When you said that you only cruise out of Bayonne you were effectively saying that you would only cruise RCI.  What other lines sail from there (other than a very, very rare Celebrity)? 

p.s.  You did not infer anything, you implied - and from that I did the inferring.

I did not realize that only RCI sails from Bayonne.

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I did not realize that only RCI sails from Bayonne.

More generally, all the brands and subsidiaries of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd., d/b/a Royal Caribbean Group, and only those brands and subsidiaries, sail out of Bayonne. The brand Royal Caribbean International and the subsidiary Celebrity Cruises both regularly so sail from Bayonne, and I recall that TUI Cruises, another subsidiary, will also sail out of Bayonne later this year.

10 minutes ago, GTJ said:

More generally, all the brands and subsidiaries of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd., d/b/a Royal Caribbean Group, and only those brands and subsidiaries, sail out of Bayonne. The brand Royal Caribbean International and the subsidiary Celebrity Cruises both regularly so sail from Bayonne, and I recall that TUI Cruises, another subsidiary, will also sail out of Bayonne later this year.

Interesting

1 hour ago, GTJ said:

Celebrity does have 13 sailings from Bayonne to Bermuda for a few months later this year -- hardly "regularly".

2 hours ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

The area looks like old abandoned warehouses where you’d find mafia people meeting.  😁

I think they are abandoned warehouses . . . it is the former Military Ocean Terminal! The redevelopment plans look grand, but they seem to be taking a while to implement.