Lunch at Bimini

babycatsy

I feel like I was well prepared for my four day cruise but what did y’all think about the lunch at Bimini?

I was expecting to have the fancy Caribbean food but was also expecting to have the general BBQ (which went away in 2022 supposedly). I did not enjoy the food at Bimini at all, I should have eaten a bigger breakfast or went back for a bite to eat.

Bimini has been weird.  They have been leaving earlier on some sailings and not doing the evening activities, supposedly because people were going back to the ship for dinner...but they are going to see people staying on the ship for brunch or heading back earlier if the  food on the island doesn't improve. The food on the ship was the same menu all day, so when they used to have the evening activities, you either ate the same thing for lunch and dinner, or went back to the ship for dinner.

Edited by cantgetin
  • Like 1

I like the pork, rice & beans and rum cake at Bimini.  They’ve never had a traditional BBQ- until late last summer/early fall, the had 2 menus (lunch and snack) with a short break between.  The snack menu had ribs, but it wasn’t like a rack of ribs on a plate, it was one big rib.  I tried them a couple times and they were kind of gross and rubbery.  Wasn’t sad to see that go!

• Like 1

The food is prepared on the ship and just reheated, they don’t have full kitchen at the Beach Club. Also all the food service staff normally work Razzle Dazzle which is why that’s closed in the evenings on Bimini days.

I found the curry good, the corn on the cob fine and the rum cake was great.

really wouldn’t want standard burgers (and the ones on the ship aren’t great) and fries. BBQ grill might be better but there wouldn’t be the time to do slow smoked BBQ I expect. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, babycatsy said:

I feel like I was well prepared for my four day cruise but what did y’all think about the lunch at Bimini?

I was expecting to have the fancy Caribbean food but was also expecting to have the general BBQ (which went away in 2022 supposedly). I did not enjoy the food at Bimini at all, I should have eaten a bigger breakfast or went back for a bite to eat.

We had the Rockstar quarters and found the lunch at Bimini the worst food of the entire trip. Fish was rubbery and overcooked, the rest of it was just meh.  But the fact that Bimini is one of the loveliest 'private cruise line resorts' made up for the weak food. I just know next time to have a larger breakfast and skip the lunch at Bimini. 🙂

• Like 1

I'll be visiting Bimini for the first time next month and am curious how far of a walk it is from the ship to the beach?  One of the people I'm traveling with has mobility issues so I'm curious whether it is doable to go from the beach back to the ship for lunch then return to the beach.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Snowball said:

I'll be visiting Bimini for the first time next month and am curious how far of a walk it is from the ship to the beach?  One of the people I'm traveling with has mobility issues so I'm curious whether it is doable to go from the beach back to the ship for lunch then return to the beach.  

You have to walk the pier to just in front of the ship where you catch a tram to the resort beach. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jon81uk said:

The food is prepared on the ship and just reheated, they don’t have full kitchen at the Beach Club.

The first time we were at Bimini, in Nov 2021, we saw them roasting the whole pig at the beach food area in the morning headed into service.  We arrived later during our Dec 2022 visit, so we missed seeing if that was still the case.  We will be there again at the end of Feb, so I will try to remember to look.  Truly, that pork was the star of the show for us.  I am hopeful it is cooked that way.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, ociana said:

The first time we were at Bimini, in Nov 2021, we saw them roasting the whole pig at the beach food area in the morning headed into service.  We arrived later during our Dec 2022 visit, so we missed seeing if that was still the case.  We will be there again at the end of Feb, so I will try to remember to look.  Truly, that pork was the star of the show for us.  I am hopeful it is cooked that way.

There was a documentary shown on UK TV filmed on Virgins ships late 2021 and they stated all food was done on the ship. It might be that the roast pork was brought on the ship raw and cooked at the beach club but wasn’t show. I don’t recall seeing it when we were at Bimini August 2022. But I had the curry not the pork sandwich so don’t know whether it tasted good or not!

• Like 1

A photo to go along with this discussion. This is from July '22. I enjoyed all the offerings. I was back last month, Jan. '23 but didn't have lunch at the beach club but instead went back to the ship to the Galley for my favorite salad the Spinach and Quinoa plus the assorted Sushi Bento box (Photos also included)! 

PXL_20220729_174036323_2 (2).jpg

PXL_20230119_184846536.jpg

PXL_20230115_190155642_2.jpg

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Snowball said:

My mom has mobility issues too and we took the tram. I would advise a large breakfast!

We got out there right at 10 and lunch was served at 12. If I didn’t rent a cabana I would have gone back to the ship for food. 

23 hours ago, _tacocat_ said:

I like the pork, rice & beans and rum cake at Bimini.  They’ve never had a traditional BBQ- until late last summer/early fall, the had 2 menus (lunch and snack) with a short break between.  The snack menu had ribs, but it wasn’t like a rack of ribs on a plate, it was one big rib.  I tried them a couple times and they were kind of gross and rubbery.  Wasn’t sad to see that go!

Oh man what a bummer. I wouldn’t minded some pizza. The first round of food we got was not that great, the corn and rum cake was my favorite 🤣

I think in April when I go I’m going to tour the island and eat something local or just a big breakfast. 

On 1/31/2023 at 7:41 PM, cantgetin said:

Bimini has been weird.  They have been leaving earlier on some sailings and not doing the evening activities, supposedly because people were going back to the ship for dinner...but they are going to see people staying on the ship for brunch or heading back earlier if the  food on the island doesn't improve. The food on the ship was the same menu all day, so when they used to have the evening activities, you either ate the same thing for lunch and dinner, or went back to the ship for dinner.

The food was such a bummer. 

I would say that wake up, have a big breakfast or lunch, get out there for 12 just in time for the pool party.

On 1/31/2023 at 9:18 PM, neverendingcruising said:

I thought the curry was quite good along with the rum cake. My wife was not a fan overall of the Bimini food offerings. 

My sister liked the chicken curry but I’m not a big fan of curry.

How long is the tram journey? Is it reasonable to go to the Beach Club, back to ship and then back to club in afternoon? 

Seems many people do this. I was wondering about doing a tour in the morning, back to the ship for lunch and a refresh, then club in late afternoon / evening? 

Is it easy enough to pick up a local tour? 

Thx

Perhaps our experience was because we had such low expectations from other reviews. We had planned to go back to the ship for lunch, but tried the food and really enjoyed it. It wouldn't have been our first choice, but it was all good. We do like curry, so that was good, the barbecue was more like the Easter NC barbecue I love, so that was a win. We had 2 rum cakes 😉

• Like 2

If all they had were burgers/fries I would have skipped it. I think they should up their game at Bimini. Of course the food needs some sprucing up, but IMHO, the curry chicken was different and fun and the rum cake was a welcomed finish. I would definitely eat there again, but some diversity would be appreciated.

• Like 3