Foods on cruises that you never ate before

lenquixote66

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

Yes,we do.Everyone else is jealous of us.

What is your favorite you would like to see on a ship in the Polish Cuisine?

Something possibly others would try for the first time but not new to us. 

There may have been dishes that were varied from other ethics.

You first......

2 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

What is your favorite you would like to see on a ship in the Polish Cuisine?

Something possibly others would try for the first time but not new to us. 

There may have been dishes that were varied from other ethics.

You first......

Golabki.Cabbage stuffed with meat and rice

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Golabki.Cabbage stuffed with meat and rice

My Dad's Fresh Kielbasa in White Cream Mushroom Sauce.

My Mom's Golabki.  Dad's Pierogi w Farms Cheese.

Dad's Homemade Beet Horseradish for Kielbasa w Horseradish from garden fresh grated.

Dessert... Chrusciki

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

My Dad's Fresh Kielbasa in White Cream Mushroom Sauce.

My Mom's Golabki.  Dad's Pierogi w Farms Cheese.

Dad's Homemade Beet Horseradish for Kielbasa w Horseradish from garden fresh grated.

Dessert... Chrusciki

I love Pierogi

• Thanks 1

Tried kippers for breakfast on board Royal Caribbean for the first (and last) time. Too salty, too bony. I've had boneless tinned kippers before and liked them, but these were the whole fish real thing.

Tried conch for the first time while in St. Kitts and found it okay, but not in a hurry to have it again.

1 hour ago, CntPAcruiser said:

Tried kippers for breakfast on board Royal Caribbean for the first (and last) time. Too salty, too bony. I've had boneless tinned kippers before and liked them, but these were the whole fish real thing.

Tried conch for the first time while in St. Kitts and found it okay, but not in a hurry to have it again.

Had conch in St Thomas and great. Fried and in a Soup was soft and buttery texture.

Dad liked kippers on the QM2 done very well to tender.

On 3/11/2023 at 3:27 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

Had conch in St Thomas and great. Fried and in a Soup was soft and buttery texture.

Dad liked kippers on the QM2 done very well to tender.

I suspect Cunard would prepare any traditionally British food better than most other lines. My mistake for trying it on Royal.

1 hour ago, CntPAcruiser said:

I suspect Cunard would prepare any traditionally British food better than most other lines. My mistake for trying it on Royal.

They are so impressive that I like enjoying their foods after returning home.

I am now enjoying scones, clotted cream and preserves before my sailing in June. 

This time of year comfort food in great.

• 1 month later...
On 4/21/2023 at 10:13 AM, nancy1031 said:

chilled mango soup

am of russian/ slovak background- not many of us on the ship!!!

I love soup but the only two chilled soups I ever had before was gazpacho (which I didn't care for and Vichyssoise which I did like.  but on cruises I tried quite a few, mostly on carnival cruises and liked all of them.  I still rarely make them myself, preferring hot soups.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if it's the same chilled mango soup I remember, but the one I had tasted like a mango smoothie and was delicious! I don't remember the cruise line but I remember having a variety of chilled fruit "soups" the whole cruise and they were so refreshing!

For myself, I'd never seen mint jelly (served with lamb) outside of TV/movies. Such a bright green! It was odd at first but I grew to like it. I guess its popularity might precede my time but I though it was delicious and should make a comeback!

I also had never heard of or had muesli before cruising but enjoy birchef muesli a lot now, off and onboard.

• 2 weeks later...

Paul Gauguin in French Polynesia served Sunfish. Never saw a sunfish before then, let alone eat one. They had a whole carving presentation that afternoon so people could see this somewhat ugly creature. Tasted pretty good and not much different than other fish from my recollection. 

1024px-Sunfish2.jpg

Eaten plenty of other odd creatures on my land based travels though: Camel, kangaroo, crocodile, ostrich, guinea pig... and many others I can't recall now. 

Edited by kellig

About 40 years ago, on a P & O cruise, I ordered vitello tonnato. I'd heard of the dish before but had never seen it on a land based restaurant menu. Not that it was something that I thought appealed, so probably wouldnt have ordered it in a restaurant. But, hey, this was "free" so it was time to try it. I have absolutely no need to try it again  - I'm  not a fan of "surf & turf" and this may be the worst possible incarnation. Absolutely vile.