Current Mask Protocols

Just got off Coral Princess cruise to PNG yesterday.   Masks were still required to be worn indoors, i.e. bars, theatres,  etc.   Still signs at these venues saying they were sip and cover but to be honest saw relatively few people doing this.   Once they sat down and got a drink mask tended to stay off.   Only saw 1 table outside a door in our section (Plaza port side) though did hear about others from the various people we sat with at dinner.    Everyone was required to take a RAT test on Day 3.    I cruised with a vaccination exemption and had read on the Princess website that I could be subject to additional protocols, but this did not happen.   To be honest, and some people won't like me saying this, but I think the vaccination requirement needs to be dropped next season - if you are not boosted, and many are not, it could be close to 2 years since you were jabbed so rather pointless to still insist on it.

• Like 4

Just off short Luminosa cruise on Sunday. Needed to wear mask in Brisbane cruise terminal, but neither staff nor passengers wearing masks on board. A few passengers chose to do so but very rare. No sign of handwashing and very little use of hand sanitizer. Perhaps on a longer cruise, situation would be different.

Our next cruise at end of month is a ten day Princess so we'll see what is in place there.

From Carnival Website.  Masks NOT REQUIRED on board but RECOMMENDED in public areas for cruises 9 days or less.
On board currently and estimate mask use <5%.
                                                                                                                                                 VOYAGES 9 DAYS OR LESS

Masks are not required on board during your cruise. However, masks will be required during the entire embarkation and debarkation process in the home port. Additionally, we recommend guests wear masks in public indoor spaces, outdoors when in large congregate events where physical distancing cannot be maintained and on water shuttles.

VOYAGES 10 DAYS OR MORE

Masks are required in public indoor spaces (unless eating and drinking or in your stateroom), outdoors when in large congregate events where physical distancing cannot be maintained, during the entire embarkation and debarkation process, when on buses or water shuttles (where applicable), and while indoors on any shore excursion.

14 hours ago, aussiedisneyfan said:

I was surprised about the lack of visibility of sanitiser and also reminders for people to use it on Luminosa.  It was mostly in out of sight places that didn't give a visual reminder to use it.  Certainly no washy washy as you see on other cruiselines.

This is what a few friends that where on Luminosa said. No hand washing stations before buffet and very little hygiene practices in place. That’s the one thing I’m pedantic about, hand washing and hygiene. Nothing to do with Covid just general common sense. I’m actually taken back that people need to be told to wash their hands before eating and after using the bathroom. 

• Like 4

Just off the Pacific Encounter into Singapore, masks were required inside the ship except for your cabin and also outside for when social distancing was not possible and on tenders and in terminals. As enforcement was non existent, most ingnored the signs, announcements and acted as if life was pre covid.

As a result, when tested on the 3rd day, it found many with covid and they were isolated to their cabin for 3 days but many more after that just went about the ship coughing and sneezing and spreading germs (cov8d, flu, noro, whatever).

On 2/7/2023 at 8:17 PM, datone said:

Just got off Coral Princess cruise to PNG yesterday.   Masks were still required to be worn indoors, i.e. bars, theatres,  etc.   Still signs at these venues saying they were sip and cover but to be honest saw relatively few people doing this.   Once they sat down and got a drink mask tended to stay off.   Only saw 1 table outside a door in our section (Plaza port side) though did hear about others from the various people we sat with at dinner.    Everyone was required to take a RAT test on Day 3.    I cruised with a vaccination exemption and had read on the Princess website that I could be subject to additional protocols, but this did not happen.   To be honest, and some people won't like me saying this, but I think the vaccination requirement needs to be dropped next season - if you are not boosted, and many are not, it could be close to 2 years since you were jabbed so rather pointless to still insist on it.

We were on the same cruise and thought that the mask requirements were very reasonable and handled well on board. It certainly made us feel safer. It actually felt odd going to the airport after disembarking and seeing everyone walking around without masks!

We also loved the handwashing stations at Horizon Court and the many sanitiser dispensers around the ship. The crew did a fantastic job making sure that everyone was washing hands before entering the buffet.

• Like 3

Masks certainly are a trigger for some…

Boarded the Majestic today. Strolling from our cabin to the stairway mid-afternoon, wearing masks as expected, we were met with a couple coming the other way through the lift lobby on our level.

They had no masks.

We made no move except to keep walking in the direction we were going. 

As we came past the woman went into full banshee mode. Swearing loudly like a sailor about how she’s not going to be wearing no effing mask on this effing ship no matter what anyone effing says.

We kept walking.

And now we know who to avoid on our cruise… 😁😷

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TrixieBel said:

Masks certainly are a trigger for some…

Boarded the Majestic today. Strolling from our cabin to the stairway mid-afternoon, wearing masks as expected, we were met with a couple coming the other way through the lift lobby on our level.

They had no masks.

We made no move except to keep walking in the direction we were going. 

As we came past the woman went into full banshee mode. Swearing loudly like a sailor about how she’s not going to be wearing no effing mask on this effing ship no matter what anyone effing says.

We kept walking.

Yep, and there will be plenty more as well as those who are not angry about it but don't wear them anyway.

22 hours ago, Kellyansapansa said:

We were on the same cruise and thought that the mask requirements were very reasonable and handled well on board. It certainly made us feel safer. It actually felt odd going to the airport after disembarking and seeing everyone walking around without masks!

We also loved the handwashing stations at Horizon Court and the many sanitiser dispensers around the ship. The crew did a fantastic job making sure that everyone was washing hands before entering the buffet.

We were on Coral in October and agree with your comments. Washed hands before the buffet and made full use of all the sanitisers.  Announcements were made in the theatres etc to wear your masks, we did it and never complained.  Recently disembarked from Celebrity, totally different protocols. Passengers sanitise upon entering the buffet, and that’s it.  No hand basins and very few sanitise stations anywhere and no verbal reminders in closed public area . It was announced a week ago by the Celebrity Captain that crew no longer need to wear masks from 6 January,    

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

What? Verbally abusing people you don't know who choose to wear masks? Tsk!Tsk!

I am with Banshee woman objrcting to the continous mask wearing bullying. Not in support of personal attacks of mask wearers

• Like 1

On 2/7/2023 at 7:47 PM, datone said:

I like you saying that as I have been singing that song for months

I am currently on Coral mask wearing is enforced and good to see although there are not many cases onboard. I know this because today we should be in Napier and most of you know the cyclone put paid to that.

To get our steps in we walked the decks by the cabins and only found 13 tables outside doors with most of those being on Emerald deck.

There has been no R A Test.

Cheers Carole

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, buchhalm said:

I am with Banshee woman objrcting to the continous mask wearing bullying. Not in support of personal attacks of mask wearers

Bullying?

I don't believe the mask mandate onboard ships is bullying, and I never saw anyone being bullied into wearing a mask on the seven cruises we did last year. At most people were politely asked to wear masks in certain places.

You have a choice: cruise and follow the current rules or don't cruise. It's no different to any other requirement on a cruise ship, in place for the safety of both you and other passengers.

• Like 7

18 hours ago, TrixieBel said:

We kept walking.

You were fortunate to just have to put up with her for a moment - just think of the poor family & work colleagues who have to endure her all the time 😮

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

49 minutes ago, mr walker said:

You were fortunate to just have to put up with her for a moment - just think of the poor family & work colleagues who have to endure her all the time 😮

Personally, I don't know why people complain about masks when they agreed to the cruise contract and the health protocols that go with it. To get onboard people also have to adhere to further protocols, especially with health when checking in.

I get that most other forms of transport have removed the requirement to wear masks but then cruising is a captive audience and varies considerably to those other forms.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 2/6/2023 at 1:08 PM, Ozwoody said:

Yes, but why is there any government protocols for cruising, but not for anything else, not even hospitals?
Gastro is just as contagious, even in some cases result in deaths, same as covid but no protocols for it?
State government can instigate what ever health measures they think necessary on health risks at the time, why can’t cruise ships be able to do that if a risk is identified?

I wonder if there would be less infections, if the people didn’t feel they didn’t have to cover it up, because they fear going into a week or more of isolation, until tested negative, rather than just have no symptoms.

Biggest problem with health on ships, is people refusing to wash their hands, especially when entering the buffet areas. Wouldn’t it be better if cruise companies policed hand hygiene more actively, making it a condition of travel, and making the failure to comply a cancellation of cruise, after say two-three warnings about not complying, and disembarkation at the next port, same as they do with other serious misbehaviour? If you get agro at someone and behave badly, they will disembark you at the next port, isn’t disregard to other cruise’s health just as bad?

I may be having a bit of a rant, but I believe people should be made to be responsible, when their behaviour can seriously affect other people.

Biggest health problem is not washing hands after using the toilet. Period.

9 hours ago, buchhalm said:

I am with Banshee woman

Verbally yelling at two people who just happened to walk past you? THAT is what you’d do? And you think that’s the best choice to make?

We didn’t deserve her tirade. I don’t set the rules. I didn’t even look at her. And I certainly didn’t react just kept walking.

This is my holiday/vacation too. I don’t deserve to be shouted at because I’m following the rules of the cruise line for this sailing. Rules that were communicated multiple times in multiple ways prior to boarding. 

We were masked in a lift today and a frail elderly man got in the lift unmasked. He obviously has challenges with emphysema or something and it seemed that just slow walking with his cane was an admirable effort. I WEAR A MASK FOR HIM. He deserves his holiday. And I’m happy to wear a mask to keep him and others like him in our community protected. 

Edited by TrixieBel
  • Like 8

I disembarked Ovation this morning after an 8 night cruise. I have always been a mask wearer and even though for Royal it is only recommended, I stuck to my guns. I was one of the very few onboard wearing a mask - I wore it in the Windjammer, at trivia, in lifts, everywhere. I quickly got over feeling self concious when everyone was staring at me. No one made any comments though.

I avoided certain crowded settings but with a very high percentage of under 30s onboard intent on hard partying, everywhere was pretty crowded, with people shouting and singing etc. Sometimes I was stuck in a crowd but always wore my mask. I woke up this morning feeling a bit dizzy and off, so after disembarking, I went and had a PCR Test straight away. And I'm positive. First time for covid for me. So far it's just a bad headache and a sore throat.

As I live with my elderly mother, I've had to book myself into a hotel for another week to prevent passing it on to her. 

This was my 9th cruise since August so I knew my luck would run out one day. But I'll be back cruising again in April. It's just the risk you take to enjoy something you really love.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CU64 said:

Biggest health problem is not washing hands after using the toilet. Period.

It is more than not just washing hands, it's people not following health protocols, it's sneezing and coughing over others, it's ignorant people not caring about others onboard and doing the right thing by isolating when unwell, not going to the medical centre when they really should because you know, they don't want to ruin their holiday but too bad for all those they've just infected.

• Like 5