Will the higher prices per fare and unpopular changes in the MDR have you considering changing lines?

I actually wanted to thank the board, b/c for my 1st post-food-allergies onset cruise (and my 1st post Covid), I booked Symphony for 2024.

After I messed up my booking, thanks to posters on this board, I called special services and got my dining all set to 1st seating (vs the my time I'd chosen) with a table just for my group of 6 and all my allergies documented (dairy, tree nuts, mango).  

Since I'm the foodie, but I can't eat much at most restaurants anymore, I'm cruising for the shows, the entertainment, and the ports.  I figure any healthy food I get that doesn't have me reach for my epi will be a big win!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I actually wanted to thank the board, b/c for my 1st post-food-allergies onset cruise (and my 1st post Covid), I booked Symphony for 2024.

After I messed up my booking, thanks to posters on this board, I called special services and got my dining all set to 1st seating (vs the my time I'd chosen) with a table just for my group of 6 and all my allergies documented (dairy, tree nuts, mango).  

Since I'm the foodie, but I can't eat much at most restaurants anymore, I'm cruising for the shows, the entertainment, and the ports.  I figure any healthy food I get that doesn't have me reach for my epi will be a big win!

Please come back and let us know how the group of 6 does with the pre-arranged dining.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

Higher prices, cutbacks and changes are affecting the entire tourism industry, not just cruising.

They aren’t getting any of our money either. Equal opportunity consumer.

1 hour ago, shipgeeks said:

I can't speak to the new menus until I try, so no opinion there.  We've sailed on RC four times in 2022, and had only good to excellent experiences each time, in all aspects.

As to prices, we book with a group arrangement that includes bus to the port, gratuities, and more, so I can't precisely compare cruise-only prices.  However, we can book a year ahead, and nothing will change, so we're covered if prices go up.  This has worked well for us, and we have four more booked. 

I think we’re getting bored with Royal. Their business model is changing. I have two sailings booked this year but booked NCL for 2024 and 2025. I haven’t found any Royal itineraries that wow me. I am put off by Wonder and Icon. Just too big for us, so sailing for the ship alone doesn’t excite me. I wish Royal would update the cabins on their older ships instead of adding additional activities for kids. The rooms are tired. I need more luxury in my life 😁

• Like 9

I don't think anything the OP stated is unique to RCCL.  So, FOR ME, it's not about changing Cruise Lines, it's about continuing to cruise or not.  

As of right now, we are still looking for a cruise to purchase/book in addition to the one we already have booked.  So, I guess we haven't hit that wall where we are saying enough is enough and quit cruising.  HOWEVER, I don't think it's going to take much more of RCCL's, and others, penny pinching/nickel & diming us to death.  

But, like someone else said, I can fully understand the need to keep up with inflation.  Prices are going to rise as the cost of goods and services go up.  Think Eggs & Fuel, just as examples.  On the other hand, I really don't like having to pay extra for the cruise line's expenses and borrowing they had to do with the great "shut down", not that I can do anything about it other than evaluate my continued cruising and/or not purchase the ancillary optional products/services/excursions/lounge chairs, etc etc.  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Of course it is! There are many cruise lines who are providing the experience that Royal used to offer. 

Maybe you can name another mass market line that you have recently sailed on that provides what OP is looking for.

I sail for the itineraries. Food is least important to me, but that’s just me. 

32 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Of course it is! There are many cruise lines who are providing the experience that Royal used to offer. 

What?  You don't think the prices are going up on ALL, if not most of the popular cruise lines these days?  Keep in mind, I'm not talking about the offerings, I'm talking about the prices of offerings.  Well, some will say the menu's are/have gone downhill.  I wouldn't know, I haven't cruised with the new menu's, yet.  And others will say that the quality of food has gone down hill, too.  Again, I haven't cruise since the recent wave of complaints of the food quality.  

BTW, what did RCCL offer at one time but now doesn't but another cruise line has picked it up as an offering? 

28 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

Maybe you can name another mass market line that you have recently sailed on that provides what OP is looking for.

I sail for the itineraries. Food is least important to me, but that’s just me. 

OP, here.

I did state that other lines are doing the same kind of thing.  The changes are to unique to RCI.  As others have said, everyone cruises for different reasons.  Hubby and I are foodies.   Our youngest child is 16, so if we bring her we have a different focus than if it is just he and I.  If she is coming, we go big and expensive, lest she be bored.  If it is just the  two of us, my priorities are MUCH different.  I want a smaller ship, and a quieter ship with great food.

No one agrees on which line or ship is "best" because "best" means something different to everyone.  But it irritates me to pay  for things I won't use and/or won't enjoy.  Food is a BIG DEAL to us, so reading that the quality of the MDR on RCI has dropped made us nervous.  We have moved over to NCL (see signature) and we'll see how that goes.

Folks rave about MSC  as cost conscious.- but they have terrible reviews.

I come to the boards for experiences, perspective and information.   Please play nicely, everyone.

Edited by Momto3girlsintheCarolinas
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

What?  You don't think the prices are going up on ALL, if not most of the popular cruise lines these days?  Keep in mind, I'm not talking about the offerings, I'm talking about the prices of offerings.  Well, some will say the menu's are/have gone downhill.  I wouldn't know, I haven't cruised with the new menu's, yet.  And others will say that the quality of food has gone down hill, too.  Again, I haven't cruise since the recent wave of complaints of the food quality.  

BTW, what did RCCL offer at one time but now doesn't but another cruise line has picked it up as an offering? 

No, not all if not most. 

3 minutes ago, Momto3girlsintheCarolinas said:

OP, here.

I did state that other lines are doing the same kind of thing.  As others have said, everyone cruises for different reasons.  Hubby and I are foodies.   Our youngest child is 16, so if we bring her we have a different focus than if it is just he and I.  If she is coming, we go big and expensive, lest she be bored.  If it is just the  two of us, my priorities are MUCH different.

No one agrees on which line or ship is "best" because "best" means something different to everyone.  But it irritates me to pay  for things I won't use and/or won't enjoy.  Food is a BIG DEAL to us, so reading that the quality of the MDR on RCI has dropped made us nervous.  We have moved over two NCL (see signature) and we'll see how that goes.

I come to the boards for experiences, perspective and information.   Please play nicely, everyone.

I'd be interested in reading your review of MSC.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Momto3girlsintheCarolinas said:

OP, here.

I did state that other lines are doing the same kind of thing.  As others have said, everyone cruises for different reasons.  Hubby and I are foodies.   Our youngest child is 16, so if we bring her we have a different focus than if it is just he and I.  If she is coming, we go big and expensive, lest she be bored.  If it is just the  two of us, my priorities are MUCH different.

No one agrees on which line or ship is "best" because "best" means something different to everyone.  But it irritates me to pay  for things I won't use and/or won't enjoy.  Food is a BIG DEAL to us, so reading that the quality of the MDR on RCI has dropped made us nervous.  We have moved over two NCL (see signature) and we'll see how that goes.

Yet we have friends who swear by MSC. Probably will be the next we try.

We went on our first cruise 15 years ago, and have cruised almost every year since, exclusively on RC. There have been many changes since we started cruising, but it is still our preferred vacation. We are paying almost $1000 more this year than we did last year...for the exact same sailing! - Oasis out of NJ in Sept. For us, I am less apt to give them even more $$ for specialty restaurants.  I can honestly say we have never had a bad cruise and have never went to bed hungry. Lol

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Momto3girlsintheCarolinas said:

OP, here.

I did state that other lines are doing the same kind of thing.  The changes are to unique to RCI.  As others have said, everyone cruises for different reasons.  Hubby and I are foodies.   Our youngest child is 16, so if we bring her we have a different focus than if it is just he and I.  If she is coming, we go big and expensive, lest she be bored.  If it is just the  two of us, my priorities are MUCH different.  I want a smaller ship, and a quieter ship with great food.

No one agrees on which line or ship is "best" because "best" means something different to everyone.  But it irritates me to pay  for things I won't use and/or won't enjoy.  Food is a BIG DEAL to us, so reading that the quality of the MDR on RCI has dropped made us nervous.  We have moved over to NCL (see signature) and we'll see how that goes.

I wasn’t specifically singling you out, so I’m not sure why I’m being called out 🤷🏼‍♀️ I quoted another poster to maybe suggest another line they had cruised on that might be a good fit for you. I totally understand the foodie thing. My oldest daughter is a foodie. I’m not. I don’t even eat in the MDR. That’s why there are so many options out there for people to try if they aren’t happy. 
Heck, my first cruise was in 1980 on Sitmar….I have lived through many changes, and I’m still cruising. 😉

PS…I have Signatures turned off, so can’t see them.

Edited by crzndeb
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

For THIS year's spring break I managed to snag a KSF sale which put me at $2,300 in an inside for the 3 of us. But I snagged it over a year ago when prices were still decent. Next year's spring break make it a $2,700 on Oasis in an inside or $2,900 on Ody in an inside.  This Thanksgiving make it a $5,200 for the 3 of us in a balcony on RCI and $2,200 on MSC's Seascape. The choice is quite clear.

Why pay over $5K on an RCI ship when you can pay $2,200 for a balcony + drinks and wifi on the newest MSC ship?

Of course, just like people are paying $300 pp for the Beach club on Cococay when it's not really worth more than $70 pp, RCI will charge as much as they want as long as people keep paying it... But some of us will definitely start looking elsewhere.

Do you live in a port of departure?  If those prices don’t include airfare, you could take a European vacation for cheaper than $2,200 with 6 total people. 

15 minutes ago, ARandomTraveler said:

Not a very nice one 😂 

Lol, but also on a serious note, I disagree, especially if you go to a more affordable country like Portugal or Greece.  My friend and I went to Portugal for 10 days and without airfare spent around $2k total, which included a lot of expensive wine-related stuff that a family of 3 probably wouldn’t do.    I was in Greece for around 2 weeks (bases were Athens and Nafplio) and spent about $100 per day all-included.  It would have been cheaper if I had split costs with a traveling buddy.

10 hours ago, Oxo said:

MDR changes?

1 menu during 7 day cruise?

We are on Symphony this week. New menus, but NOT the same menu every night as NCL PRIMA.

Only 1 lobster tail, you pay for more. Some lines don't offer lobster at all.

Check out other lines, they are really cutting back, too.

Yes Prima has one menu but it is extensive. In addition it does have rotating options every day. In addition the food was executed way better than Royal. 

7 hours ago, emdia43 said:

Yes. Family about  to book MSC Seascape. All inclusive packages at much better prices than RC basic. Unable to find any bargain even in least popular times, Feb and early Dec 

If you can afford yacht club, even in interior that’s my recommendation. Other wise Butchers Cut and Hola Tacos ($17.99 all you can eat) are excellent 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, twinmommy08 said:

I think we’re getting bored with Royal. Their business model is changing. I have two sailings booked this year but booked NCL for 2024 and 2025. I haven’t found any Royal itineraries that wow me. I am put off by Wonder and Icon. Just too big for us, so sailing for the ship alone doesn’t excite me. I wish Royal would update the cabins on their older ships instead of adding additional activities for kids. The rooms are tired. I need more luxury in my life 😁

Agree that Royal need to up their game when it comes to itineraries- it is very repetitive 

They seem more focused on getting as many ships as they can to Coco Cay and Labadee

Edited by Spurschick
  • Like 9