Will the higher prices per fare and unpopular changes in the MDR have you considering changing lines?

3 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Google or the national news are wonderful resources for anything you may personally be looking for.

I actually did. I'm not seeing whatever it is you think is going on. Can you provide any references or are you just making this up? It's hard to find information about something that isn't happening.

Edited by time4u2go
  • Haha 1

On 2/5/2023 at 1:34 PM, Momto3girlsintheCarolinas said:

Hubby and I have always loved Royal.  It was perfect for us.  Just like other cruise lines, they seem to be cutting corners all over and lowering the quality of food.  It has hubby and I considering changing to another more expensive (or less expensive) line to get more value and a better experience?

The MDR menu changes really have me concerned.  

Anyone else?

YES I am all about a better and more adult alternative! Royal Caribbean LOVE THEM but YES I agree! One more chance for them to change my mind!

6 hours ago, CruisingNole said:

As someone who travels to Europe once a year…where the heck are you going that “way less” than $254.54 per day ($2800/11) covers lodging, transportation, food, beverage and activities for two adults? Sleeping on a dirty floor in a hostel and eating ketchup sandwiches is not an apples to apples comparison to a cruise…yet. 😂

Ketchup sandwich is truly a great alternative in the WJ and honestly there were never more than a few people complaining because Royal has a very exclusive feeling! And yes this is BEFORE all the current cuts!!

VA110B.jpg.04a5fdba14b8d912aa366c40c6c5907f.jpggfa003_web_front.thumb.jpg.14e4a6c8e93a736f78d68eda6315de68.jpgZZ.thumb.jpg.490959308fa7ea618e658cbdeb375b98.jpgindex.thumb.jpg.5376ff902287d51771d2a91baacac5c7.jpg

On 2/7/2023 at 9:40 PM, Engineroom Snipe said:

January out of where? Anthem sails only from Bayonne to the best of my knowledge and bookings. When did you lock down the prices?  What is the current cost of your cruise to someone who is looking for it right now?

What is total cost? The basic cabin fare and taxes? Does that include gratuities? Does that include taxes? Does that include parking? Does that include airfare? I love these numbers, please clue me in.

The first and second day of your trip, what will be the outside temperatures of your balcony? The second to last day of your trip, what will be the outside temperatures of your balcony?

Will it be usable in a balcony sort or way on those days?

You paid $2800 for eight usable days but how many days are sitting over at a port like Bermuda and not moving?

Let's look at paying at least $25 per day for parking. This is a best case scenario assuming your are within driving distance and do not need any sort of airfare.

Please frame such a quote with all of the associated discounts, caveats, and factual information.

I am VERY interested and want to imitate your extremely frugal cruise.

I want to learn from an expert on this board.

Show me the cruise, date, port, and how I can get such a great deal.

Please, I need your help.

Otherwise, stop posting nonsense.

Hope Anthem doesn’t only sail from Bayonne given I have her booked out of Southampton next year.

6 hours ago, Spurschick said:

Hope Anthem doesn’t only sail from Bayonne given I have her booked out of Southampton next year.

I made that statement regarding the month of January 2024 for Anthem. It pertains only to that month because that is the month and ship quoted in my response. 😉

• Like 2

So, it seems they are inching up 2024 cruise prices every 2 weeks or so.  I booked in mid-Jan, right at the end of the MLK sale.  1st price increase (which was right after) was $200 more than I booked (so $100 more/cabin) after the end of the sale.  Now, today, it's another $60 higher ($30 cabin) in the newest sale, so $260 more ($130/cabin) at this point for an 2 interiors for 3.

I have a May 2024 cruise, so I'm sure it's desirable, and that may be why it's creeping up every sale...I'm glad I booked when I did.  

Edited by TwoMisfits

We just got off the Anthem (1/24 11 day), we re-booked for 2024 and the BASE price was 57% higher; that being said, I would hope that we will be able to take advantage of future sale prices. The food was very disappointing and inconsistent..prime rib in the Windjammer was wonderful; in the MDR and Solarium not good. The new menus would not be so bad if the food was well prepared.

We have a cruise booked on wonder in a few months and I've been periodically checking the prices to see if they've dropped so I can request a repricing but the prices are outrageous right now when we originally booked our cruise it was 5900.00 for 4  now the price for the cruise date we have booked is 2800.00 per person for a central park balcony that is almost 12,000$ for a family of 4. I dont think I will switch cruise lines but I think we will take a break from cruising for a while after this one.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Tntt said:

We have a cruise booked on wonder in a few months and I've been periodically checking the prices to see if they've dropped so I can request a repricing but the prices are outrageous right now when we originally booked our cruise it was 5900.00 for 4  now the price for the cruise date we have booked is 2800.00 per person for a central park balcony that is almost 12,000$ for a family of 4. I dont think I will switch cruise lines but I think we will take a break from cruising for a while after this one.

I feel your thoughts. I have three booked this year for very reasonable prices. I might just book one in 2024 at the most reasonable price I can get. If I feel the prices are excessive,  I will most probably "take a break from cruising" after this year.  The old rules of supply and demand. Maybe you and I will be part of a "less demand". I assure you it will not happen in 2023. The pendulum takes time to swing from its extreme movements. 

One cruise at a time..........😁

On 2/8/2023 at 2:46 PM, CruisingNole said:

As someone who travels to Europe once a year…where the heck are you going that “way less” than $254.54 per day ($2800/11) covers lodging, transportation, food, beverage and activities for two adults? Sleeping on a dirty floor in a hostel and eating ketchup sandwiches is not an apples to apples comparison to a cruise…yet. 😂

Pretty much everywhere--London, Paris, Rome, Naples, Florence, Athens, Nafpoli, Lisbon, Coimbre, Porto, Madrid, etc.

To pick Portugal as an example, for a 10-day trip, lodging was less than EUR 1000 (most expensive was full apartment in Lisbon, 100/night), walking tours/museums were 0-20 per day, food was 20-40 per day (almost nothing for breakfast given how cheap pastries are), etc.  

One lunch was 2 appetizers, 2 entrees, and 2 glasses of wine for EUR 40 total.

The most expensive day trip was around 100 (tour of the Douro Valley).

Maybe you are not used to traveling in Europe?

On 2/7/2023 at 11:09 PM, fredmdcruisers said:

And get kidnapped or worse. No thanks! Been there done that when it was safe.

Cancun is very safe; it was literally built for tourists.  That is why the Zona Hotelera exists.  You can charter a private car from the airport to any resort for a reasonable fee.

Edited by baelor
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, baelor said:

Cancun is very safe; it was literally built for tourists.  That is why the Zona Hotelera exists.  You can charter a private car from the airport to any resort for a reasonable fee.

Yes, tell me more about those cars from the airport! Cartels won't let them drive into the resorts. Tell me when you were there. 

Just now, fredmdcruisers said:

Yes, tell me more about those cars from the airport! Cartels won't let them drive into the resorts. Tell me when you were there. 

Within the last 6 months.  Had a great time.  No one in my family got murdered as far as I can remember.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, baelor said:

Pretty much everywhere--London, Paris, Rome, Naples, Florence, Athens, Nafpoli, Lisbon, Coimbre, Porto, Madrid, etc.

To pick Portugal as an example, for a 10-day trip, lodging was less than EUR 1000 (most expensive was full apartment in Lisbon, 100/night), walking tours/museums were 0-20 per day, food was 20-40 per day (almost nothing for breakfast given how cheap pastries are), etc.  

One lunch was 2 appetizers, 2 entrees, and 2 glasses of wine for EUR 40 total.

The most expensive day trip was around 100 (tour of the Douro Valley).

Maybe you are not used to traveling in Europe?

I was in France a couple months ago and spent no less than $900/day for 2 people between hotel, food and tours. We don't necessarily look for cheap though, and we eat at pretty expensive restaurants.

15 minutes ago, ARandomTraveler said:

I was in France a couple months ago and spent no less than $900/day for 2 people between hotel, food and tours. We don't necessarily look for cheap though, and we eat at pretty expensive restaurants.

Thanks for proving my point…?  I too can spend indefinite amounts of money when “I don’t look for cheap.”   Jade Mountain on St. Lucia is $25,000 for two for a week.  Or I could get the Atlantis Bridge Suite for $150,000 for two for a week.

What are we even doing here?

Edited by baelor

9 minutes ago, baelor said:

Thanks for proving my point…?  I too can spend indefinite amounts of money when “I don’t look for cheap.”   Jade Mountain on St. Lucia is $25,000 for two for a week.  Or I could get the Atlantis Bridge Suite for $150,000 for two for a week.

I guess my thought was that although I don't look for the cheapest thing, I wasn't spending outrageously either. Food was probably the biggest splurge. I stayed in a middle of the road hotel. And we went to all the major sites (the Louvre, Versailles, Eiffel Tower etc). I certainly could have cut about $300/day from that budget, but we still would have been at $600/day. There's no way I could have done a trip to Paris for $250/day, and I can't imagine the type of hostel or Airbnb I would have had to stay in to do so. I also don't want to starve myself by eating only croissants for my meals. 

I understand that 2 single men can probably rough-it and get through Europe in a shoestring budget, but I highly doubt most people would want to duplicate that type of trip with their families and children. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, baelor said:

Your point is total nonsense: I did a full 10 night Acapulco trip, with unlimited gourmet dining, top shelf Liquor, Business Class air from Miami for two, in a JR suite, for $4,000.  Did the same type of hotel, this time a Dominican Dreams "all Inclusive, in a suite, VIP club, with ultra premium drinks (Stoli Ultra!) and business on AA, from Miami also for $4,000 for 9 nights, for two.

Both trips with a JR suite with Royal, premium drink package, gratuities, specialty dining package, etc., would have been thousands more, Without the Business Air to Miami!  The poster is right, hotels & all inclusive packages can be many thousands less than cruising!

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, ARandomTraveler said:

I understand that 2 single men can probably rough-it and get through Europe in a shoestring budget, but I highly doubt most people would want to duplicate that type of trip with their families and children. 

My teenage nephew and friend bought a two month interrail card (valid all over Europe) and had a budget of £25 pppd. Staying in hostals and camping. But they only lasted a few weeks before coming home. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sgmn said:

My teenage nephew and friend bought a two month interrail card (valid all over Europe) and had a budget of £25 pppd. Staying in hostals and camping. But they only lasted a few weeks before coming home. 

If they are like my son was at that age, they need ALOT of calories per day. If they were lean going over the pond, they did not pack any reserves for a rainy day (I justify my small bit of extra weight as part of my Doomsday preparation kit to my doctor 😁). I carry it with me at all times. 🤣

7 hours ago, baelor said:

Within the last 6 months.  Had a great time.  No one in my family got murdered as far as I can remember.

Same here. I have family members that were there literally last week. They used one of the car services and had no problems whatsoever. 

Edited by time4u2go

4 hours ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

If they are like my son was at that age, they need ALOT of calories per day. If they were lean going over the pond, they did not pack any reserves for a rainy day (I justify my small bit of extra weight as part of my Doomsday preparation kit to my doctor 😁). I carry it with me at all times. 🤣

Yeap, I think it was unrealistic, but you can't argue with a teenager 😉 

• Haha 1

Per RCG CEO Jason Liberty "In addition to higher ticket prices, Liberty noted Royal Caribbean Group is seeing big gains in how much it makes from passengers once they're on board ships. The company said the amount it's taking in per passenger from onboard spending was up 30% from 2019"

Cruise bookings are soaring — and that means higher prices are on the way -

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

It is quick good read.

1. Demand way up.

2. Occupancy way up.

3. Prices increasing faster than in the past.

4. No expectations of demand going down in the foreseeable future.

I found it interesting that the goal of the cruise lines is to decrease the differential prices between cruises and land vacations. One of the draw points for me to go cruising is that I have seen it be a good deal compared to other vacations.

There will come a point when the values of the vacations are equal. How will this affect demand? Time will tell.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

It is quick good read.

1. Demand way up.

2. Occupancy way up.

3. Prices increasing faster than in the past.

4. No expectations of demand going down in the foreseeable future.

I found it interesting that the goal of the cruise lines is to decrease the differential prices between cruises and land vacations. One of the draw points for me to go cruising is that I have seen it be a good deal compared to other vacations.

There will come a point when the values of the vacations are equal. How will this affect demand? Time will tell.

Agreed. I do more land vacations than cruise vacations, but the low cost of cruising has always been one of my top 3 selling points about taking cruises. 

If they make the price of a cruise the same as a land vacation, they'll have removed 1 of my reasons for cruising. I'll still cruise though 😂.

• Like 1