2nd Lobster 16.95 in dining room.

We had no problem ordering a Steak and Lobster "combo" last week on Odyssey. Two of us at the table did this. They brought two plates to us each so we had double sides. We both took our lobster tails and passed them to a third person at our table so they had 3 tails on their plate at the same time.

No one told us how to eat or the order to eat things. They didn't withhold any plates. We didn't ask if we could do it, we just did it.

YMMV.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, robmtx said:

We had no problem ordering a Steak and Lobster "combo" last week on Odyssey. Two of us at the table did this. They brought two plates to us each so we had double sides. We both took our lobster tails and passed them to a third person at our table so they had 3 tails on their plate at the same time.

No one told us how to eat or the order to eat things. They didn't withhold any plates. We didn't ask if we could do it, we just did it.

YMMV.

You were on Odyssey last week, too? What did you think of the ship? 

14 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

You were on Odyssey last week, too? What did you think of the ship? 

It was a nice refresh of Anthem, which I've cruised on many times. I like that they have Playmakers but because it was up in the sports area, a lot of families were "camping" at the tables while their kids played activities in the seaplex. This meant we couldn't find tables...twice...to eat. That's probably something Royal will notice since it's a revenue generating place and people sitting there not eating but playing card games are blocking people who come to spend money.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JimInBuffalo said:

I don’t eat Lobster so this isn’t a problem for me. We were able to order the steak and lobster combo as noted above and gave the extra tails to our table mates

We'll be sailing with a group of twelve soon, and we discussed doing just that:  my vegetarian daughter and my no-shellfish-please daughter have already promised to pass their lobster over to me and my husband.  

• Like 1

I don’t really eat lobster so I plan on giving mine to my husband, so after reading these posts I’ll ask for two entrees, but I’ll need to “eat” the lobster first?  I plan on giving it to him right away. Then he’ll have dinner and I’ll be waiting for my poor server to run in the back to get my second entree.

I foresee Royal making some changes again when we all complain. Like I said before, Disney went too far and look what happened, Chapek lost his job and things are starting to turn around.

Royal should be watching and listening. There will be a breaking point and they’re getting close.

I love cruising but there’s other vacations I love too.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Lobster night on Serenade tonight. I believe this might be the 2nd or 3rd week under new menu process

Need Pics please.

Have you scoped  out where the Washers and Dryers will be installed. Does the current crew onboard know anything about the WC coming up? Wonder what the percentage of crew onboard  now will be on the ship for the WC?

Edited by Jimbo

On 2/6/2023 at 2:49 PM, islandwannabee said:

On the serenade, you had to eat either your steak or lobster first, then the other would be brought out.

So you have decide which entree is to be served lukewarm and which one is going to be room temperature........nice.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

I don’t really eat lobster so I plan on giving mine to my husband, so after reading these posts I’ll ask for two entrees, but I’ll need to “eat” the lobster first?  I plan on giving it to him right away. Then he’ll have dinner and I’ll be waiting for my poor server to run in the back to get my second entree.

I foresee Royal making some changes again when we all complain. Like I said before, Disney went too far and look what happened, Chapek lost his job and things are starting to turn around.

Royal should be watching and listening. There will be a breaking point and they’re getting close.

I love cruising but there’s other vacations I love too.

I don't think there is going to be any "give away my lobster and order something else." The point is to stop multiple lobster orders. They are monitoring total food per table.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

Yeah, who wins in that situation?  No one. 

1 hour ago, baileybrad said:

So you have decide which entree is to be served lukewarm and which one is going to be room temperature........nice.

Why would one be lukewarm?  Wouldn't all the food in the kitchen be warm? 

6 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

I don't think there is going to be any "give away my lobster and order something else." The point is to stop multiple lobster orders. They are monitoring total food per table.

How can they stop me from sharing my plate with my husband? 

Sure, they can monitor what goes out of the kitchen ... but the waiter's the one who sees what is eaten, and he can't "win" by denying food to the table (assuming they've followed the rules).  

4 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Yeah, who wins in that situation?  No one. 

Why would one be lukewarm?  Wouldn't all the food in the kitchen be warm? 

How can they stop me from sharing my plate with my husband? 

Sure, they can monitor what goes out of the kitchen ... but the waiter's the one who sees what is eaten, and he can't "win" by denying food to the table (assuming they've followed the rules).  

There is no win on this for wait staff. Only for Royal. Keep trying to figure out to beat the system and all 2nd entrees will be charged for. Its a cost cutting measure not a challenge to figure out a work around. That thinking (and bragging) is what got us to pay for your 2nd lobster.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

There is no win on this for wait staff. Only for Royal. Keep trying to figure out to beat the system and all 2nd entrees will be charged for. Its a cost cutting measure not a challenge to figure out a work around. That thinking (and bragging) is what got us to pay for your 2nd lobster.

Eh, I don't entirely agree: 

- They know their plates are relatively small; that's fine for small people like me, but plenty of people genuinely want /expect more -- and that's where the second entree comes in. 

- As long as they throw out rules that're more work than they're worth /rules that are blatantly against the cruiser's best interests, they're going to find people trying "to figure out a work around".  

- The second lobster fee came from Royal trying to cut food costs.  Looking specifically at lobsters is an off-shoot of that concern.

38 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Eh, I don't entirely agree: 

- They know their plates are relatively small; that's fine for small people like me, but plenty of people genuinely want /expect more -- and that's where the second entree comes in. 

- As long as they throw out rules that're more work than they're worth /rules that are blatantly against the cruiser's best interests, they're going to find people trying "to figure out a work around".  

- The second lobster fee came from Royal trying to cut food costs.  Looking specifically at lobsters is an off-shoot of that concern.

-servings were not always small. Don't you remember those huge desserts? 

-go for it. 

-If so then why the new menus at same time as 2nd lobster fee? Haven't you seen photos of new menu entrees? A ice cream scoop of rice and 2.5 to 3 ounces of protein. Nothing like plates of food from the past.

They want you to eat in Windjammer or specialty dining. It's the new 2023 type of cruising! Nothing stopping big eaters from pre-dinner or a 2nd meal in the Windjammer! 

Edited by fredmdcruisers
Error

5 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

-go for it. 

-If so then why the new menus at same time as 2nd lobster fee? Haven't you seen photos of new menu entrees? A ice cream scoop of rice and 2.5 to 3 ounces of protein. Nothing like plates of food from the past.

They want you to eat in Windjammer or specialty dining. It's the new 2023 type of cruising! Nothing stopping big eaters from pre-dinner or a 2nd meal in the Windjammer! 

I remember when I first cruised in 2003 I was surprised at the small servings -- then I realized that I almost always take half a typical restaurant meal home (for the next day's lunch), and I realized the portions were fine.  

I don't think they're trying to do away with the MDR; dinner is one of a cruise's signature events, and most people simply aren't going to pay-pay-pay for "extra".  

Now that's true:  You can have two dinners, one in the Windjammer, but does it save Royal anything?  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Now that's true:  You can have two dinners, one in the Windjammer, but does it save Royal anything?  

Most people are going to go to WJ and serve themselves the portions they want rather than eat two dinners.  Eating in the WJ saves Royal the labor cost of staffing a full service MDR.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Need Pics please.

Have you scoped  out where the Washers and Dryers will be installed. Does the current crew onboard know anything about the WC coming up? Wonder what the percentage of crew onboard  now will be on the ship for the WC?

I thought they were pretty good. Decent size. 2 definetely filled me to bursting. 1 would have been plenty

20230209_165506.jpg

20230209_165454.jpg

20230209_165529.jpg

20230209_165517.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

We were on Odyssey last week and we had no problem ordering more then one App, Main or Dessert. It was all brought out together when we asked(ex:Steak/Lobster) Several in our party ordered the extra Lobster Tail and were not disappointed, they were delicious and you'd be hard pressed to get them in a restaurant for that price on land.

2 hours ago, fredmdcruisers said:

-go for it. 

So I have to go for dinner BEFORE I go for dinner. Sounds like a real vacation to me.

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, RD64 said:

So I have to go for dinner BEFORE I go for dinner. Sounds like a real vacation to me.

Most people will not have to. It's only the overachievers who used to eat 8 lobster tails and / or ordered 2 or 3 entrees at a time who will have a problem. My wife and I usually share meals in most restaurants due to the large portions so on a cruise even the new smaller portions will seem large. My guess is that this is the same for most cruisers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/8/2023 at 5:54 PM, JimInBuffalo said:

I don’t eat Lobster so this isn’t a problem for me. We were able to order the steak and lobster combo as noted above and gave the extra tails to our table mates

How was the steak. Pretty awful on anthem. 

I’m allergic to shellfish.  I ordered the steak and gave my lobster tail away.  It came after my steak, as I was a few bites in.  I passed the lobster tail away immediately because even smelling it makes my mouth swell.  I was happy and the person who ate two lobster tails was happy.  No problems.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2023 at 12:52 PM, islandwannabee said:

I don't eat lobster, so asked if I could get mine and give to husband. First I had to eat my regular chicken meal, then they brought out the lobster, even sat it in front of me, knowing it was for my husband. He said he was being watched.

Can see a revolt coming!  On my cruise in Sept I asked for two tails  - got them with no comment from the waiter but a man at the table  expressed his disapproval.