True or False? Comments Welcome.

manmachine

1 hour ago, chemmo said:

We love our on ship dining, particularly the speciality restaurants which we mainly dine in. However, we can dine  better food wise on a land based holiday with access to real fresh fish and local specialties.

’Ambiance’ of the full dining experience, however, has to be taken into account. Dining is not just about the food, it is about everything from pre dinner drinks to post dinner liqueurs. This is what makes dining on a ship so special….

You choose from one of many options for your pre dinner drink…Perhaps the sunset bar if it isn’t too breezy, the Martini bar to make new friends, the World bar to try something different, your balcony sipping a drink watching the ship leave the port.

Then there is the choice of restaurants, Murano for a touch of class, Tuscan for the wonderful views, Lawn Grill for a family BBQ relaxed atmosphere with the smell and sounds of the sea….(yes, we cruise mainly S class).

Then post dinner…All the bar choices still available but how magical is it to sip a cognac or a Baileys on your own balcony. Feet up reminiscing about the day…No need for anyone to drive or to get a taxi…

So although I have experienced better food in land restaurants if I were to list my top ten dining experiences most of them would be on a cruise…

Thank you for this perspective. It's honestly the best post that I've ever read on CC regarding cruise dining! 

Patty 

• Like 1

I don't cruise for the food, but if I have multiple cruise lines with similar itineraries, quality food is one of the factors that goes into the decision process. Again, not the only factor. Over the years, Celebrity worked hard on their reputation for serving some of the best food in their class. I'm really hoping they haven't decided to just let that go. 

• Like 4

My husband's motto with these kinds of questions is, "Don't get involved!" Here I am getting involved. LOL! 

I will say that this is false for us as food is a very important factor to us when cruising or traveling in general. I have been known to make restaurant reservations in distant countries before even booking flights and hotels! 

Will we get a Michelin experience on our upcoming Millennium cruise? Highly unlikely and not at all expected. But, as an example, we're looking forward to dining at Le Petit Chef as it will offer us something new, fun and unique. I have lunch reservations at a couple of our ABC island stops to savour local fare. We always pre-cruise on land for at least a night or two so pre-cruise dinners are always well researched and planned ahead of time. (I'm waiting for reservations at Marmalade in Old San Juan to open up for March! 🙂

I would agree with others that cruise food is more than just the dishes offered... It's about the ambiance, being on the ocean, drifting from the Martini Bar to the Sunset Bar and soaking in the entertainment along the way. To me, cruise ships are more than just floating hotels. Back in the day, dining and entertainment were some of the main draws of cruising! 

All of this is that if we were on a cruise and the food and service were lacklustre or subpar, we would likely not sail that line again. 

We're counting down the days until our March Millie sailing with open minds and joyful (and hungry) hearts! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Food was one of the reasons we cruised so much when we started and food is one of the reasons we have taken at least a hiatus for now. The whole dining experience has dismissed greatly since about ten years ago. Our expectations were set by the quality of the product then and that’s where it will stay. We never said the food was bad now, just with the high pricing of cruising the value isn’t there. This pertains mostly to the MDR and Buffet, the suite restaurant is acceptable. The specialty restaurants aren’t an option, not looking to spend more money to make up for their decision to cut back, no matter the reason.

If the same restaurants were in our area we wouldn’t use them, way too many who meet or exceed our expectations now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Food is important to us also.  However, we don't cruise just for the food.  Cruise itinerary is important to us also.  Love sitting on the balcony reading a book and enjoying being on the ocean.

Anyone remember the cream filled swans for dessert and the pastry baskets filled with veggies?  So amazing and so long ago!

Swan pastry.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

True.  I can find a great place to have a lunch in port.  I go for service and ambience.  I don't want garbage food, but just decent food served in a nice setting with good service.  I can still get that in Luminae ( I don't eat red meat, so can get something that fits the decent food bill, and service is good).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, BeachTunes said:

My husband's motto with these kinds of questions is, "Don't get involved!" Here I am getting involved. LOL! 

I will say that this is false for us as food is a very important factor to us when cruising or traveling in general. I have been known to make restaurant reservations in distant countries before even booking flights and hotels! 

Will we get a Michelin experience on our upcoming Millennium cruise? Highly unlikely and not at all expected. But, as an example, we're looking forward to dining at Le Petit Chef as it will offer us something new, fun and unique. I have lunch reservations at a couple of our ABC island stops to savour local fare. We always pre-cruise on land for at least a night or two so pre-cruise dinners are always well researched and planned ahead of time. (I'm waiting for reservations at Marmalade in Old San Juan to open up for March! 🙂

I would agree with others that cruise food is more than just the dishes offered... It's about the ambiance, being on the ocean, drifting from the Martini Bar to the Sunset Bar and soaking in the entertainment along the way. To me, cruise ships are more than just floating hotels. Back in the day, dining and entertainment were some of the main draws of cruising! 

All of this is that if we were on a cruise and the food and service were lacklustre or subpar, we would likely not sail that line again. 

We're counting down the days until our March Millie sailing with open minds and joyful (and hungry) hearts! 

FYI, Michelin stars are awarded to the food, it ignores restaurant service and atmosphere which is why you have food stands in Singapore with Michelin stars for a $5 dish.  Cruise ships, Carnival included, generally have great service, it's just the complimentary food itself leaves a lot to be desired

Edited by NutsAboutGolf
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ehall said:

True.  I can find a great place to have a lunch in port.  I go for service and ambience.  I don't want garbage food, but just decent food served in a nice setting with good service.  I can still get that in Luminae ( I don't eat red meat, so can get something that fits the decent food bill, and service is good).

We always try to eat when in port but often a tour eats up most of our time in port

Edited by NutsAboutGolf
  • Like 1

As we very seldom get off the ship anymore, food and entertainment are very important to us. Holland America has really scaled back in both departments and we have stopped sailing with them. We are booked on the Reflection in a few weeks and if things are as bad as I've read on some reviews we might just have to look somewhere else to spend our vacation dollars.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bo1953 said:

b - I resemble this comment... LOL

Cheers and bon voyage

If I want to stay drunk for seven days, all I need to do is buy a few quarts of vodka. No need to pay for a cruise and pay $100 pp per day for a drinks package.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

With Sizzler, I believe many of us would PREFER Sizzler...Anthony Bourdain enjoyed it:

image.thumb.png.2a4d3600861655791bbc8b489e7322bc.png

With the Cruise Award for food, I believe it won the "large ship" category only facing off against Carnival, RCI and Princess.  Regardless, right now Carnival's newest ships have some great food choices with Guys burgers, guys BBQ, Shaqs big chicken, ChiBang, Italian and let's not forget their infamous chocolates melting cake; all of which are complimentary

Carnival punches above their weight, offering-wise

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

If I want to stay drunk for seven days, all I need to do is buy a few quarts of vodka. No need to pay for a cruise and pay $100 pp per day for a drinks package.

I get to drink alcohol which I would not normally have at home... and get to try new ones as well...

Drinking as much as I can does not necessarily equate to being drunk, usually.

Cheers and bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

I get to drink alcohol which I would not normally have at home... and get to try new ones as well...

Cheers and bon voyage

Do better Bo, give getting sloopy drunk the old college try!  😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Do better Bo, give getting sloppy drunk the old college try!  😅

nag only were we drinking together, I might let loose!!! LOL

Cheers and bon voyage

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Cheers and bon voyage

Obviously not pointing fingers are you.  It just seems that excessive alcohol consumption is a big part of the cruise experience for many people.  Not as much on Celebrity as on some other unnamed cruise lines.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I wouldn't say we cruise for the food but it seems odd pay a premium to board a nice new ship, get dressed up to head to dinner and then be forced to order from a menu that is, let's just say, not very exciting. We cruised a few months ago and enjoyed the food but are already dreading what our options may look like when we cruise again in a couple of weeks.  We aren't food snobs or anything but the food decisions Celebrity is making, especially around dinner, are pretty short sighted.  

• Like 8