MDR Seating

jbu

We have made our dinner reservations via the Medallion App for our cruise later this month.  We have the same dining room and times every day.  I heard that when we get seated the first night, if we like the table and waiter, we can request the same for the rest of the cruise, and you do this by speaking with the Maitre' D.  Two questions:  1)  Is this how we would make that request?  2)  I imagine a tip would be appropriate for the Maitre' D if he agrees to let you have that table.  If so, how much?  And when?  When we make the request or at the end of the cruise?

Thanks in advance!

Jenny

5 minutes ago, jbu said:

We have made our dinner reservations via the Medallion App for our cruise later this month.  We have the same dining room and times every day.  I heard that when we get seated the first night, if we like the table and waiter, we can request the same for the rest of the cruise, and you do this by speaking with the Maitre' D.  Two questions:  1)  Is this how we would make that request?  2)  I imagine a tip would be appropriate for the Maitre' D if he agrees to let you have that table.  If so, how much?  And when?  When we make the request or at the end of the cruise?

Thanks in advance!

Jenny

1. Yes. 

2. That's all on you. 

• Like 1

Yes, this is the correct procedure, but you do not need to tip the Maître D.  His job is to make his guests as happy as possible.  Sometimes, however, it just can’t be done.  If, at the end of your cruise, you feel the need to offer additional recognition in the form of cash, the Maître D will politely accept your gift.  

We have in the past tipped the Maître D for exceptional service, but it is not mandatory and the amount would be what you feel is appropriate.

Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

The answer to “Can I get the same table every night?” Is hard.

Since Princess thrives on inconsistency, the answer will be, “Maybe.”

We have had success (last year on Regal) but are currently on Sky and the answer is “Only if you come to the dining room at 5:00 each evening.”  Even with reservations, we are standing in line for 20 minutes.

YMMV

• Like 1

Did exactly this but it was taken care of by the girls working the desk and they weren’t the Maitre’ D

Had the same table for 20 days across 2 cruises.

We eat at 5pm because that’s where the flexibility is to make this happen. (That’s what we were told)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jbu said:

Thanks in advance!

Jenny

Procedure has worked for us.  But, some ships may be a little different.  On one ship we asked each night for the table we  liked from day 1.  Finally, they gave it to us.  If the ship is really full, it is more difficult.  If you eat early or late, it is a lot easier, because not as many people.

No, do not think it’s necessary for a tip right off the bat.  

Maybe at the end, if he/she has been exceptional.  

• Like 3

You didn't say what time you picked.  As noted if you like to eat early it will not be an issue.   We were on the Sapphire for 33 days, ate at 5:30 and after the first night they asked us if we wanted the table for the rest of the cruise.   Will depend on the time of night how successful you are.  

2 hours ago, MustangGT said:

The answer to “Can I get the same table every night?” Is hard.

Since Princess thrives on inconsistency, the answer will be, “Maybe.”

We have had success (last year on Regal) but are currently on Sky and the answer is “Only if you come to the dining room at 5:00 each evening.”  Even with reservations, we are standing in line for 20 minutes.

YMMV

We were on the Sky a few weeks ago and had the same experience. But you can get a "pager" to avoid standing in the line. They will page you when the table is ready. 

We always n anage to get the same table or at least t he same wait staff if we like them

I would not tip the mdr manager

We tip the wait staff but feel that maitre des/dining managers are "management" and don't require extra  tipping

Always a personal choice

Edited by riffatsea

When we were on the Ruby in Spring of 2022, we asked our waiter if he could set this up. He went away, came back, and told us we were all set. He said to show up on time, since the table could disappear on us if we didn't. This was on the first night out - loved the table and liked the waitstaff a lot.

We've only done 4 Princess cruises after Covid re-start.  I had no idea we were supposed to say we wanted the same table.  We've always shown up at our dinner time, usually 7 or 7:30 and then were shown to our table on the first night.  On each subsequent night, they just asked if we knew our table and we said yes and walked right in.  Maybe it's because we reserve a table for 4 at the same time and in the same dining room each night.  Now that I think back, the couples in tables for 2 seated around us moved around quite a bit.