Yacht Club versus more prestigious cruise line

Markanddonna

I have been in the Haven, but never the Yacht Club. I can't understand why anyone would book an MSC cruise when you can get a wonderful experience on a more prestigious cruise line for at least the same cost. Even though you are isolated from the riff raff (that includes me) an MSC passenger still has to endure the inferior MSC experience. I've priced it out and think perhaps others haven't done their research!

My recent YC sailing on Meraviglia couldn’t have been better.  All the while I had the other options of various entertainment on the ship when I wanted to partake.  I think my wife and I would be bored stiff on one of the “luxury” lines. We are 57 & 59.,

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

I have been in the Haven, but never the Yacht Club. I can't understand why anyone would book an MSC cruise when you can get a wonderful experience on a more prestigious cruise line for at least the same cost. Even though you are isolated from the riff raff (that includes me) an MSC passenger still has to endure the inferior MSC experience. I've priced it out and think perhaps others haven't done their research!

Where to start.  We regularly cruise on Seabourn, but also enjoy the Yacht Club on Caribbean cruises.  DW and I could probably write a long chapter "why we love the Yacht Club" but not going to bore folks with that kind of detail.  In some ways you are comparing apples to oranges.  We have no desire to cruise on MSC in Europe since there are many better options that meet our wants.  I also do not like how MSC operates like a ferry company in Europe (embarkation/debarkation at nearly every port) which is not an issue with the Caribbean itineraries.

As to cost, we have done our research (and also many bookings) at the YC normally prices around $400 per person/day a typical Deluxe YC Suite (more like a large cabin than a real suite).  It is difficult to get that kind of price (or anything close) on what you call a "prestigious" cruise line.  We did once snag a great deal on Seabourn (out of Barbados) but the hassles of flying to Barbados, spending a few pre-cruise days in a resort, etc. cost us a lot more than simply flying to Miami for MSC.

One big advantage that MSC has over luxury lines is with entertainment.  In the YC, you get many of the advantages of a luxury cruise experience, but always have the ability to go through those electronic doors and mix with the "riff-raff" as you enjoy the nightly Production Shows, multiple music venues, etc.  That is quite different from the entertainment one gets on the luxury lines.

Hank

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

I like your choice of the word "prestigious".

Prestigious Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster

prestigious: [adjective] of, relating to, or marked by illusion, conjuring, or trickery.

Just perfect for 'some' cruise line.

Get on board and find the best (most expensive) entertainment cut.

Daily room cleaning  cut to once per day.

E muster drills cut, forcing guests back into cramped spaces for 30 to 40 minutes enduring coughers and sneezeers in a not yet all clear pandemic.

Raising gratuities and drink package prices while still charging $5 per can of soda even with a drink package.

Gamblers required to pay additional 3% if using their credit cards instead of bringing cash to gamble with.

First try a MSC experience in their Yacht Club and see how wonderful a less "prestigious"  cruise can be.

Edited by morpheusofthesea
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

My family was in Haven, 2 BR family cabin, twice. Then we tried YC on Seaview in the Med and were more or less blown away. The outdoor space and meal options don't compare. Free Wi-fi (2 devices/pp) and drinks, yes please! Free use of the thermal spa, sign me up!  My husband and I just finished another YC cruise on Divina in the Caribbean. It was wonderful, although we did prefer Seaview.  We just booked another YC for spring 2024 in the Med. We booked an interior because we feel there is plenty of outdoor YC space that we will still enjoy it tremendously.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I wouldn't particularly consider NCL prestigious. 

We've sailed in the Retreat on Celebrity, and in MSC YC. For June this year we compared 2 cruises - 1 week on Celebrity in Sky Suite with 2 weeks on MSC in YC Duplex. MSC is cheaper. So, twice as much cruise, great itinerary (both were sailing from Southampton). MSC does the ship within a ship concept better. So, we're sailing in the YC this summer.

• Like 5

As a family of 4, Haven and Yacht Club work best for us. 

We like the big ship "stuff" like water-slides, go-karts, zip-lines, bumper cars, dance parties, etc. but we also like the "less crowded/better service/exclusive areas" of the "ship-within-a-ship". 

Celebrity Retreat and Explora Journeys are currently in the "maybe....wait and see...." category for us. The lack of "stuff" and smaller ships will have to be balanced with better service or some sort of other wow factor. 

For more "stuff" but less "ship-within-a-ship" service, I'm also looking at RCCL's Suite Neighborhood on Icon OTS. 

In the meantime, we're sticking with MSC Yacht Club and hopefully in the future NCL's Prima Class (Prima/Viva, + 4 unnamed). We've either been on or have booked both Seaside EVO ships (Seashore/Seascape) and I'll book World America as soon as I can. 

We've been in the Haven on NCL Joy, YC on Seaside, Meraviglia, and Seashore, the Retreat on Celebrity Apex, and Aqua Theater Suite (Sky suite category) on RCL Allure and we think Yacht Club is the best experience of the 4. Yacht Club has better public spaces, better restaurant, and better dedicated pool deck. Of the others we almost liked Celebrity's Retreat as much as YC but would still give the edge to YC.

Now, as to the rest of the ship, we'd agree that MSC is a mixed bag. On average we like their entertainment options less than other lines, and their buffet and specialty restaurants are not quite as good as the other lines. However, we still find all those things good enough that, combined with all the amenities and wonderful spaces of YC have made for very enjoyable cruises on all 3 MSC trips we've been on.

We were on the Celebrity Apex recently and loved the ship, thought the specialty restaurants were fantastic, and the entertainment was better than expected too. If you consider the overall ship experience in addition to the "ship with a ship" areas Celebrity may pull slightly ahead of MSC, but we'd be very happy to go on either line again. Given current prices MSC is definitely the cheaper of these two!

We're still rounding out our "tour of the various cruise lines" with an upcoming cruise on Virgin Voyages we are REALLY looking forward to as well after all we've heard. 

But, yeah we very much do our research and really love the Yacht Club on MSC and think it has some of the best 'bang for your buck' of any higher end suite experience on other mass market or premium lines.

• Like 4

From where would I to start?... Both MSC or NCL are not "prestigious" lines, or at least not prestigious on the OP's way...

That said: Me thinks that both the "ship within the ship" concepts on the mainstream-to-premium lines and those mid-to-full-luxury small ship lines on the likes of Oceania/Explora/Viking/Seabourne/Silverseas/Regent alike are different products for different needs.

Let us to face reality: It will be difficult to find such a less than 10 nights cruise on those mid-to-full-luxury lines, the same way there are few more than 7 nights cruises on the mainstream-to-premium lines. That on itself may sort out where would you go. Do you have more than 7 nights to go on a cruise?

That said, it is a far different ambiance to stay into on both cases. Larger ships will have more activities and better entertainment. Are you very active, desiring that entertainment, or you want to have your dinner, mingle a little bit on a lounge and call it a night?...

And of course destinations: Do you want your typical destinations, or are you ready for the more exotic ones?

Those are the questions one must to answer before even considering to book anything else. YC or Haven will to give you just perhaps the best of 2 worlds in consideration. YC typically less expensive than Haven, even though their prices are quickly raising lately. Whatever your choice, you'll to have a great time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My husband and I were just talking about some of the new, smaller ship 'prestige' lines, like Explora or Ritz-Carlton... and we realized that they were double the price of YC for a YC-style experience. I'd rather go on 2 cruises than 1, even if that 1 is a bit nicer. YC is awesome, so we'd hardly be 'settling'.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

If you haven't been in the Yacht Club how do you know that it's an inferior experience?

I'm doing a YCI in April for 8 nights; the cost was a few dollars less than a 7 night gurantee balcony on NCL to Bermuda....same week. 

What I'd like to know is why anyone would pay Haven prices and get so much less than the YC?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

As a Diamond member of MSC, I consider the rest of the ship experience (non YC) inferior to other cruise lines I have been on. I have no experience in YC. Of course, if you stay in the Yacht club all the time, you might not agree. 

Diamond... through a status match though, right? I'm not sure the weight that's supposed to be attached to "as a diamond member."

If you go to the Celebrity forums for instance, there's a lot of agita right now and talk of ship-jumping *to* MSC and yacht-class

None of that's to say that the "rest of the ship" comparison you're making concerning MSC wouldn't be valid, but even in that context there's still a strong value proposition case to be made regardless. And then specific to the Yacht Class discussion taking place here, well, maybe give it a shot ;)

Edited by Avatar345
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, helenb said:

My husband and I were just talking about some of the new, smaller ship 'prestige' lines, like Explora or Ritz-Carlton... and we realized that they were double the price of YC for a YC-style experience. I'd rather go on 2 cruises than 1, even if that 1 is a bit nicer. YC is awesome, so we'd hardly be 'settling'.

I doubt I'll be experiencing either of those lines myself ever (unfortunately), but there's yacht club style... and then there's just straight-up yacht style :)

I think Ritz at least is trying to achieve more of the latter with these new ships of theirs, and Explora certainly must be somewhere on that spectrum as well because they clearly know what they'd have to do to differentiate from their existing (and very successful) YC product. I'm sure the cuisine, itineraries, service, and clientele (and price) will reflect that accordingly.

1 hour ago, Markanddonna said:

As a Diamond member of MSC, I consider the rest of the ship experience (non YC) inferior to other cruise lines I have been on. I have no experience in YC. Of course, if you stay in the Yacht club all the time, you might not agree. 

We venture outside the 'Ivory Tower' everyday. Find the outing quite 'quaint'. The dichotomy is what gives the Yacht Club its 'je ne sais quoi'.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Markanddonna said:

We are inclined to agree, which is why the only way we cruise on MSC is in the Yacht Club.  With MSC one must decide whether they want to keep down their costs (lots of options outside of the YC) or are willing to pay for a luxury cruise (Yacht Club).   But your post has me scratching my head.  If you believe what you say why would you ever cruise on MSC?  Simply go on any of those "superior" cruise lines that you like.

Hank

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

We are inclined to agree, which is why the only way we cruise on MSC is in the Yacht Club.  With MSC one must decide whether they want to keep down their costs (lots of options outside of the YC) or are willing to pay for a luxury cruise (Yacht Club).   But your post has me scratching my head.  If you believe what you say why would you ever cruise on MSC?  Simply go on any of those "superior" cruise lines that you like.

Hank

My past 17 days has convinced me that MSC is not a cruise line that appeals to me. We are very pleased with lines like RCL, Celebrity, NCL, and HAL and have had two cruises with them this past year. MSC started out as a nice experience several years ago but no longer. This was our worst cruise by far, mostly because of my fellow passengers.. The crew was great, but the passengers were rude and overbearing. We had lovely tablemates and met some other nice folks but this was not good.

7 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

My past 17 days has convinced me that MSC is not a cruise line that appeals to me. We are very pleased with lines like RCL, Celebrity, NCL, and HAL and have had two cruises with them this past year. MSC started out as a nice experience several years ago but no longer. This was our worst cruise by far, mostly because of my fellow passengers.. The crew was great, but the passengers were rude and overbearing. We had lovely tablemates and met some other nice folks but this was not good.

Argh!  I think that anyone who cruises long enough will get one voyage with less desirable ship mates.  We have rarely had problems with shipmates, but in Dec 2021 we cruised on the Enchanted Princess for back to back 7 day cruises (in the Caribbean).  The first 7 days had DW and I laughing about the old saying, "they must have been raised by wolves."  We are talking "wife beater" shirts and backward ball caps in the MDR.  We finally saw a few turned away from the MDR (on a dressy night) but that was rare.  The 2nd week it was like a whole different world with mostly pleasant folks who had a little fashion sense and also knew how to complete a sentence.

On MSC, we have only met fascinating folks in the YC.  It is a very international line, so in the YC we interacted with folks from many European countries and made a few good friends.  Outside of the YC we met quite a few folks and most were enjoyable.  But we are seniors and tend to hang with other older passengers.  We did not meet anyone who we would call "rude or overbearing" but that is luck of the draw.

Having cruised on 16 cruise lines (the 17th will happen in September) friends have often asked us on which line we have met the best shipmates.  We normally say it is more about the itinerary and lenght of cruise than the cruise line.  The folks you meet on a 70 day HAL cruise and much different than what you meet on a 7 day HAL cruise.  But if we had to choose a specific cruise line where we have consistently met interesting folks it would be Seabourn.  One theory is that on a luxury line, folks do not feel they have anything to prove or need to impress anyone (many of these folks are actually quite impressive) so folks are just nice.

Hank

Hank

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Argh!  I think that anyone who cruises long enough will get one voyage with less desirable ship mates.  We have rarely had problems with shipmates, but in Dec 2021 we cruised on the Enchanted Princess for back to back 7 day cruises (in the Caribbean).  The first 7 days had DW and I laughing about the old saying, "they must have been raised by wolves."  We are talking "wife beater" shirts and backward ball caps in the MDR.  We finally saw a few turned away from the MDR (on a dressy night) but that was rare.  The 2nd week it was like a whole different world with mostly pleasant folks who had a little fashion sense and also knew how to complete a sentence.

On MSC, we have only met fascinating folks in the YC.  It is a very international line, so in the YC we interacted with folks from many European countries and made a few good friends.  Outside of the YC we met quite a few folks and most were enjoyable.  But we are seniors and tend to hang with other older passengers.  We did not meet anyone who we would call "rude or overbearing" but that is luck of the draw.

Having cruised on 16 cruise lines (the 17th will happen in September) friends have often asked us on which line we have met the best shipmates.  We normally say it is more about the itinerary and lenght of cruise than the cruise line.  The folks you meet on a 70 day HAL cruise and much different than what you meet on a 7 day HAL cruise.  But if we had to choose a specific cruise line where we have consistently met interesting folks it would be Seabourn.  One theory is that on a luxury line, folks do not feel they have anything to prove or need to impress anyone (many of these folks are actually quite impressive) so folks are just nice.

Hank

Hank

There were fights at the pool deck, a passenger drowned, and several incidents of bullying because of significant overcrowding on the pool deck. I witnessed eight incidents of supervisors reprimanding crew members who were generally kind and overworked.  I usually give four and five star reviews but this was unreal. I never witnessed these sorts of things on any of my other cruises.