Any advice for this Oceania newbie?

natshala

Long time X  and Crystal cruiser, I am about to bite the bullet and book my first Oceania cruise. I’m a little nervous as this is a big jump into the unknown.

I travel solo.

I’m about to pull the trigger on a September 2023 cruise on Insignia (I know nothing about O ships) New York to Montreal. 10 days. I think I’m going to use O Air for the flights from/to MCO.

Is Insignia a nice ship?

As far as the O choices, I’m thinking —excursions and —wine & champagne. I do not like cheap wines. Issues there? Would I be better off with the $300 OBC? I don’t drink a lot but enjoy quality.

I would appreciate any advice, cautions. I need to make this decision tomorrow.

I tend to overthink. Am I missing anything?

Thanks, all, for your insights!

Which type of cabin will you book? The smaller R-ships have tiny bathrooms unless you book a penthouse or above. We don't care but many people find them unacceptable. There are tons of Youtube videos that show the different ships and suites (limit it to the past year or so to get current videos). The R-ships are Regatta, Insignia, Nautica, and Sirena. The larger O-ships are Marina and Riviera (plus there are new A-ships that haven't sailed yet).

You can book cruise-only and skip air and/or O-life (the pick one perk choice). It can be added later (before final payment I think) if you want it. If you get O-Life, don't choose the OBC. You pay $300 to get $300 non-refundable OBC. If you want pre-paid OBC, buy yourself "gift" OBC which is refundable.

Edited by AMHuntFerry

You mentioned taking two choices on Olife. Generally it's only one. I'm not sure if there are different rules for solos. Maybe someone with solo experience can chime in here. . 

There is  a thread here  with the  wine & drinks menus   maybe have a look

I would just do the cruise only  

You can check  the air prices   to see what it would cost  then compare  with what O is charging

Insignia  is  about 1/2 the size of Crystal ships 

If you do decide to  do one of the O life perks  do NOT take the OBC  you are just giving them your money  for a non refundable  OBC

JMO

Our first with Oceania is this  Oct. on the Riviera. Our TA recommended taking the excursions and no air. By choosing this way we are paying $300  for  3 excursions upfront which has a value up to $199 for each excursion.  We book our own air as we have control to and from our destination in case any issues or delays arise.  I think next time we will not take any "perks" since you are paying for them with O life up front.

Edited by ATXBecky
left word out
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ATXBecky said:

Our first with Oceania is this  Oct. on the Riviera. Our TA recommended taking the excursions and no air. By choosing this way we are paying $300  for  3 excursions upfront which has a value up to $199 for each excursion.  We book our own air as we have control to and from our destination in case any issues or delays arise.  I think next time we will not take any "perks" since you are paying for them with O life up front.

It seems you have one of the better TA's, at least in the advice they gave you on this. Only reason to not take the excursions would be if you are a do it yourselfer, or the type that just hardly ever gets off the ship. 

We just got off the Insignia and loved it. Yes, the bathroom is small, but my 6'4" husband made it work, so you shouldn't have much of a problem. As others have said, the staff on board is lovely, always pleasant and ready to help. The passengers are wonderful, too. It's easy to strike up a conversation and make friends.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ATXBecky said:

I think next time we will not take any "perks" since you are paying for them with O life up front

Others may know better - I believe if you haven't yet done final payment that you can drop OLife. You might not have to wait until next time :classic_smile: