Butler Tipping

Lonedaddy

I read on some boards butlers aren't in the gratuity pool or in the included gratuities.    What is the case with regent?  Or butler was excellent on our 32 day cruise and did some special things and we had several dinners in the room.  So without getting into the big argument is there any standard?  I've seen ranges from 10-15 per day per person to 10 per day.    Just looking for a range on what is customary among regent passengers.

Customary on Regent is no tipping. There is no gratuity "pool" on Regent.  Obviously, you are free to tip as you choose, but should be done with discretion. There is something known as the crew welfare fund that I understand is used for crew parties and excursions. You can donate to the crew fund at the reception desk.

• Like 3

We utilize our butler and we tip very generously at the end of the cruise.

I liked my butler on Voyager so much that we requested him for our Grandeur cruise (he will be on our cruise and told us we could make the request).

Tipping is included in your fare. This includes the butler. Having said that, we always tip people we feel went above and beyond. "Technically", each depart has its own policy about "extra" tips and they usually as supposed to declare them over a certain amount so that they can be pooled. I suppose if you spent a few days asking around you might find one new person who actually does this...but I doubt it. Do what feels right to you...it's good advice for tipping on Regent and for life in general.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bitob said:

We utilize our butler and we tip very generously at the end of the cruise.

I liked my butler on Voyager so much that we requested him for our Grandeur cruise (he will be on our cruise and told us we could make the request).

How do you go about requesting a butler?  

Lonedaddy:  

This is not something you request.  It comes with the territory when booking at Penthouse level or upper level(s) Suites on any Regent ship.  

Been there; done that.  Upon being introduced to your Butler, which will occur within the hour after you and your luggage have been reunited at that location:  

Introductions.  It has been our experience that the day-to-day Suite Attendants occupants will most-usually interact with during the tenure of any particular segment accompany the Butler. When on several pre-COVID; then three late-2021 to present cruises on several Regent ships have observed replication of this procedure.  New occupants discuss with the Butler what enhanced needs to anticipate--above whatever those Suite Attendants do on a daily basis. 

Like:  afternoon (1700H) canapes; additional reservations at Specialty restaurants; a "special" in-Suite dinner, often with other cruise guests.  We have seldom had need to request any of the above, as we are, basically, "low-maintenance" folks.  That particular Penthouse was booked--not for the Butler--but for the additional interior walk-around room.  And, able to enjoy an in-Suite breakfast or dinner on a larger table, with chairs.  No need for one to sit on the couch--or bedside. 

That is just us. YMMV.  We have observed situations where the Butler was on what it seemed to be a constant call throughout the day, and evening, responding to other folks' needs in adjacent Penthouse or above-named Suites.  

To each his (her) own. 

GOARMY!

16 hours ago, GOARMY said:

Lonedaddy:  

This is not something you request.  It comes with the territory when booking at Penthouse level or upper level(s) Suites on any Regent ship.  

Been there; done that.  Upon being introduced to your Butler, which will occur within the hour after you and your luggage have been reunited at that location:  

Introductions.  It has been our experience that the day-to-day Suite Attendants occupants will most-usually interact with during the tenure of any particular segment accompany the Butler. When on several pre-COVID; then three late-2021 to present cruises on several Regent ships have observed replication of this procedure.  New occupants discuss with the Butler what enhanced needs to anticipate--above whatever those Suite Attendants do on a daily basis. 

Like:  afternoon (1700H) canapes; additional reservations at Specialty restaurants; a "special" in-Suite dinner, often with other cruise guests.  We have seldom had need to request any of the above, as we are, basically, "low-maintenance" folks.  That particular Penthouse was booked--not for the Butler--but for the additional interior walk-around room.  And, able to enjoy an in-Suite breakfast or dinner on a larger table, with chairs.  No need for one to sit on the couch--or bedside. 

That is just us. YMMV.  We have observed situations where the Butler was on what it seemed to be a constant call throughout the day, and evening, responding to other folks' needs in adjacent Penthouse or above-named Suites.  

To each his (her) own. 

GOARMY!

I was referring to requesting a specific butler on an upcoming cruise such as bitob mentioned.

7 hours ago, Pcardad said:

Ask your TA or your Regent Rep within 60 days of sailing.

You don't have to wait 60 days from sailing.  I asked my TA to do it soon as I got home and my sailing in 8 months away. The request is already in.  And it was my butler who suggested I do it!

3 hours ago, bitob said:

You don't have to wait 60 days from sailing.  I asked my TA to do it soon as I got home and my sailing in 8 months away. The request is already in.  And it was my butler who suggested I do it!

It doesn't get processed internally until 60 days out. They won't act on it before then as they have no idea who will be on what ship...they have another company handle the staffing for everyone but the top people.

We,or some of us from the USA, are so hung up about tipping, that even when it states “all tips included” we don’t know what to do.Not surprising as tip jars are appearing in places other than where tipped personnel work. The most ridiculous example was a tip jar at the cashier’s stand at a supermarket. Cashiers are not traditionally tipped employees, nor should they become so. What, tip someone for taking my money? In other countries, tips are given with more reservation, and in smaller percentages.Basically, On Regent, where “all tips are included in the fare” we don’t tip further, absent an outstanding reason for doing so. Otherwise, we feel like we are tipping twice, and we don’t want to donthat.

• Like 4