Viking Venus delayed into Tilbury

Mrs Miggins

42 minutes ago, Mrs Miggins said:

Just reading that Viking Venus is delayed by a couple of days into Tilbury by weather.  Guests already in the Uk for next cruise to be accommodated in hotels and next cruise will affected.

A frequent CC contributor is onboard I believe.

The copy of the Viking letter I saw posted stated that the delay would be 24hrs not 48hrs ie the follow- on cruise would depart Monday 13th rather than Sunday 12th. Also to allow them to catch up time they would be cancelling the Amsterdam(Ijmuiden) port stop from that cruise. Passengers would receive $150 in their onboard accounts as compensation.

That of course is dependent on Venus making good time from its current position off Trondheim.

Unfortunately, Viking hasn't communicated anything to the people who are supposed to disembark on the 12th.  Nothing.  Zero.  Nada.  Very poor on Viking's part. 

People on the ship are posting that they've been told they will arrive early morning on Feb. 14th, making it a 48-hour delay.

I wish Viking would alert the Feb. 12th cruisers that there is an issue, and they are working on it.  We don't have to have all the details now since they probably haven't been settled anyway.  But to say nothing is unacceptable. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm onboard, Captain said we will arrive at Tilbury between midnight and 3 am on the 14th.

There has been 60mph wind and 30ft waves, with horizontal blizzards. This is the tail end of the storm, which had 100mph wind and 60ft seas. We had to stay in Tromso an extra day because of it. We have been doing about 4 knots for most of the last couple of days. Captain says he will be able to speed up soon

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, arlowood said:

The copy of the Viking letter I saw posted stated that the delay would be 24hrs not 48hrs ie the follow- on cruise would depart Monday 13th rather than Sunday 12th. Also to allow them to catch up time they would be cancelling the Amsterdam(Ijmuiden) port stop from that cruise. Passengers would receive $150 in their onboard accounts as compensation.

That of course is dependent on Venus making good time from its current position off Trondheim.

That was the evening before. That night it became worse. 

A few days ago someone posted that they were staying another day in Tromso because weather system was too bad to travel to Narvik.  I looked at the windy.com weather after that and it was a MAJOR weather system.  Weather delays can happen on any cruise especially those crossing the North Sea in winter.

• Like 2

We are on board and we’ve been very well informed…..the problem is that things keep changing.  Yesterday the Captain announced we would be a day late into Tilbury, and Viking promptly changed our flight reservations for a day later, leaving Heathrow on the 13.  This was followed up with a letter giving the same info as was reported verbally by the Captain.

But today the weather has been brutal, and we moved very slowly for most of the day with pretty extensive rocking and rolling.  The Captain’s update this afternoon said we would arrive at Tilbury very early on Tuesday, the 14.  

Anyone who says they have not been informed at all is incorrect….or at the very least, has not been listening to the updates.

Barbara M.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

28 minutes ago, Avery's Gram said:

We are on board and we’ve been very well informed…..the problem is that things keep changing.  Yesterday the Captain announced we would be a day late into Tilbury, and Viking promptly changed our flight reservations for a day later, leaving Heathrow on the 13.  This was followed up with a letter giving the same info as was reported verbally by the Captain.

But today the weather has been brutal, and we moved very slowly for most of the day with pretty extensive rocking and rolling.  The Captain’s update this afternoon said we would arrive at Tilbury very early on Tuesday, the 14.  

Anyone who says they have not been informed at all is incorrect….or at the very least, has not been listening to the updates.

Barbara M.

Barbara,

It’s the people who were suppose to get on the ship after you that are upset that they haven’t been kept informed.  Until a few hours ago they had received nothing from Viking.  They only knew what you all were reporting from the ship.  That wasn’t fair to them.

Edited by SoBaycruiser
  • Like 2

My departure date is Feb 11th.

The original booking we had was for 6 locations in Norway in 2020. Rebooked to 2021. Rebooked to 2022. Rebooked to 2023. The itinerary was changed this past October to remove two locations in Norway and add Ijmuiden, Netherlands. I wasn't happy about that change because this was supposed to be a trip to Norway, but OK, we've been planning this trip for several years at this point. We can be flexible.

The first notice I received of any delay is from 5:06pm EST today, 24 hours from my departure time. Two more locations in Norway dropped, and we'll be in a hotel in London for two nights.

I've been on the phone with Customer Service and Customer Relations. I was told I can either forfeit everything or go and then complain when I get back. Customer Service told me they can have a manager call me back Monday, but if I don't depart tomorrow then I forfeit. No other options.

Refunds for events already planned and paid for in the dropped locations will be issued as shipboard credit, which is forfeit at the end of travel. We had a surplus of nearly $3k in shipboard credit *before* this, so that is meaningless to me.

What Viking is offering is not acceptable. I understand that they cannot control the weather. They cannot control a pandemic. But they can control the relief they offer to guests that were anticipating the cruise that was sold to them. Go on a trip that is not the trip you wanted nor planned nor booked, or forfeit everything.

Completely unacceptable.

• Like 6

I’m sorry, I misunderstood……I thought the complaint about no info came from someone on board now. Rereading, I see how I misinterpreted the complaint, and  I apologize…..

And I do understand the frustration.  Lots of people are busy canceling private tours/ hotels, travel arrangements in Amsterdam or London, while we only need to worry about getting home in time for an impossible to reschedule medical appointment/ treatment on Wednesday.  

Our trip has been very relaxing and enjoyable, in spite of the weather, and we’ve been quite pleased with our first Viking Ocean trip.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Avery's Gram said:

I’m sorry, I misunderstood……I thought the complaint about no info came from someone on board now. Rereading, I see how I misinterpreted the complaint, and  I apologize…..

And I do understand the frustration.  Lots of people are busy canceling private tours/ hotels, travel arrangements in Amsterdam or London, while we only need to worry about getting home in time for an impossible to reschedule medical appointment/ treatment on Wednesday.  

Our trip has been very relaxing and enjoyable, in spite of the weather, and we’ve been quite pleased with our first Viking Ocean trip.

I hope you are able to reschedule your appointment. Wishing you all the best.

2 hours ago, DsrtEgl50 said:

The original booking we had was for 6 locations in Norway in 2020. Rebooked to 2021. Rebooked to 2022. Rebooked to 2023. The itinerary was changed this past October to remove two locations in Norway and add Ijmuiden, Netherlands. I wasn't happy about that change because this was supposed to be a trip to Norway, but OK, we've been planning this trip for several years at this point. We can be flexible.

The first notice I received of any delay is from 5:06pm EST today, 24 hours from my departure time. Two more locations in Norway dropped, and we'll be in a hotel in London for two nights.

I've been on the phone with Customer Service and Customer Relations. I was told I can either forfeit everything or go and then complain when I get back. Customer Service told me they can have a manager call me back Monday, but if I don't depart tomorrow then I forfeit. No other options.

Refunds for events already planned and paid for in the dropped locations will be issued as shipboard credit, which is forfeit at the end of travel. We had a surplus of nearly $3k in shipboard credit *before* this, so that is meaningless to me.

What Viking is offering is not acceptable. I understand that they cannot control the weather. They cannot control a pandemic. But they can control the relief they offer to guests that were anticipating the cruise that was sold to them. Go on a trip that is not the trip you wanted nor planned nor booked, or forfeit everything.

Completely unacceptable.

I am not on your cruise but I totally sympathize with your situation.  I agree that you aren’t being treated fairly… especially concerning getting only shipboard credit for prepaid tips and excursions.  I was about to depart on a cruise (on a different line) in 2020 when COVID shut every thing down 3 weeks before our departure.  I rebooked 3 more times and finally canceled last year when they required the younger grandchildren (5-13) to be vaccinated.  They gave me every dollar back that we had paid for two rooms.  I was not charged for any excursions that had been booked.  This cruise line was a class act.  It seems to me that the Viking may have the right to change the itinerary due to weather, etc.  But the foul weather was during another scheduled cruise, not yours.  You paid for a 13 day cruise and they are providing an 11 day cruise and 2 day extension.

You might check the fine print of your contract.  Does it say anywhere that pre-paid tips are only refundable with ships credit?  The same with excursions.

If you decide to go, I would definitely send a written notice to the company that your presence at the hotel and ship does not mean that you accept the changes as fair compensation for your losses.

Good luck.

Like some others, I booked the 2/12 cruise in 2020.  I wrote to my sales consultant and let her know that I am disappointed that this trip bears little resemblance to the cruise I booked and have been anticipating for years.  I said that I know weather is outside anyone’s control, however our 14 day cruise to 6 Norwegian cities is vastly different from what’s being delivered.

I just felt that the sales people should know the impact this has on their ability to sell us our next cruise.  Maybe they are in a position to press management for better compensation than $150 ship credit.  

Just a thought….

Sure hope we get to see the Northern Lights! 

3 hours ago, DsrtEgl50 said:

Completely unacceptable.

Due to this unfortunate extreme weather situation, the Master is making decisions based on the safety of the vessel, crew & pax. As a mariner, with many years of command experience, I note that 100 kt winds and 60' seas are serious risks to both the safety and comfort of the pax. You booked a cruise along the Norwegian coast during the winter months, which are notorious for extreme winter storms. If you book this type of cruise you should know the potential for delays and missed ports is extremely high.

Especially in this region, at this time of year, the cruise itinerary is little more than a suggestion. Yes, the Master will endeavour to complete the itinerary, as published, but safety prevails, so weather changes are very likely. An informed consumer should be aware of these risks and only book this cruise, if prepared to accept changes. If you expect to receive the posted itinerary, I suggest the Caribbean is a more suitable itinerary.

Since this is a high risk itinerary, I hope you protected the financial risks with travel insurance, so you can submit a claim for any missed ports. With respect to any refund, Viking's liability is clearly outlined in the Terms & Conditions you accepted by paying the deposit. If you are a "No show" as per the T&C you get no refund. 

In my experience, when ports are cancelled and any payments are refunded to your shipboard account, they are clearly identified as "Refundable Credits". When spending money onboard, the ship debits your "Non-refundable credits" if you have any. Therefore, at the end of the cruise, any "Refundable Credits" are sent by cheque to your home address within about 6 weeks. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, SoBaycruiser said:

I am not on your cruise but I totally sympathize with your situation.  I agree that you aren’t being treated fairly… especially concerning getting only shipboard credit for prepaid tips and excursions.  I was about to depart on a cruise (on a different line) in 2020 when COVID shut every thing down 3 weeks before our departure.  I rebooked 3 more times and finally canceled last year when they required the younger grandchildren (5-13) to be vaccinated.  They gave me every dollar back that we had paid for two rooms.  I was not charged for any excursions that had been booked.  This cruise line was a class act.  It seems to me that the Viking may have the right to change the itinerary due to weather, etc.  But the foul weather was during another scheduled cruise, not yours.  You paid for a 13 day cruise and they are providing an 11 day cruise and 2 day extension.

You might check the fine print of your contract.  Does it say anywhere that pre-paid tips are only refundable with ships credit?  The same with excursions.

If you decide to go, I would definitely send a written notice to the company that your presence at the hotel and ship does not mean that you accept the changes as fair compensation for your losses.

Good luck.

Approximately 1 week prior to the cruise, the booking is removed from the website and sent to the ship. Therefore, from that point onwards, the booking is managed by the ship.

Since the ship has no ability to issue cheques, they provide shipboard credit for any money paid in advance that is not used - shoreex in cancelled ports, gratuities for days missed, etc. These are notated as "Refundable Credits" in a pax shipboard account.

Pax have the option of spending this money onboard, or having it refunded at the end of the cruise. We had this experience and received a cheque from Viking, shortly after we got home.

The T&C do not specify how Viking provide refunds.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Approximately 1 week prior to the cruise, the booking is removed from the website and sent to the ship. Therefore, from that point onwards, the booking is managed by the ship.

Since the ship has no ability to issue cheques, they provide shipboard credit for any money paid in advance that is not used - shoreex in cancelled ports, gratuities for days missed, etc. These are notated as "Refundable Credits" in a pax shipboard account.

Pax have the option of spending this money onboard, or having it refunded at the end of the cruise. We had this experience and received a cheque from Viking, shortly after we got home.

I'm on the ship, although disappointed to have missed ports I have no problem with the masters decisions. Apparently the storm that delayed us leaving Tromso was unusually bad, we are now back to 'normal winter in area' 

I understand why those who are on the next sailing are annoyed, as Viking know they cannot carry out the full itinerary, (even though not Viking's fault) they should be given the option to cancel, when we set off everything looked OK. 

We have yet to pass Bergen, and it's a sliding furniture sort of day

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

I'm on the ship, although disappointed to have missed ports I have no problem with the masters decisions. Apparently the storm that delayed us leaving Tromso was unusually bad, we are now back to 'normal winter in area' 

I understand why those who are on the next sailing are annoyed, as Viking know they cannot carry out the full itinerary, (even though not Viking's fault) they should be given the option to cancel, when we set off everything looked OK. 

We have yet to pass Bergen, and it's a sliding furniture sort of day

I appreciate people are disappointed we did this itinerary last year. We too lost two ports and had time cut in a third due to a storm. It was disappointing but we achieved the objective of the trip to see the lights. 
Was our entire cruise spoiled, did we blame anyone - No and no well except the weather gods. 
We had done our homework this cruise is not to a smooth sailing summer destination it’s to some of the most hostile seas in the world at this time of year. So we had appropriate insurance covering missed ports, delayed departure and delayed arrival. We claimed under the first and nearly had also to claim under the third. We had read the contract we knew Viking would provide “care” but not compensation. 
Those due on the 12 Feb sailing I’m sorry it’s not working out but you’ve either got to go and accept what is happening and also hope the lights appear or cancel and if you’re uninsured you lose. I’d not spit the dummy out, you’re not in as good a place as you could have been because of lack of full cancellation cover but why lose all your money?  
Im sure communication could be better but it is not a straightforward thing. 
I think this also shows this is an itinerary where you transfer all the flight risk to Viking! 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Both your posts have been incredibly illuminating.  Most of us equate “shipboard credit” with non refundable credit, so your information that the credit will be refunded is good news.

(I am not on this cruise or a subsequent Viking cruise.  Just noting how helpful your information is.)

• Like 1

The Captain has announced we are on time for turnaround on the 14th, we will dock around midnight (13th)

At noon our time there were 6-7m swells and 30-40 mph wind, expected to ease later today, so pretty much normal for the area. 

There is apparently no damage to the ship, and no injuries. 

She seems to handle the seas well, on the plus side, this isn't the least successful Northern Lights cruise Viking have done . . . 😏

• Like 6

Going on my first Viking Cruise March 20. The way the people who we're supposed to leave today are being treated does not make me want to take moreViking cruises  This is more expensive than Oceania not some cut rate cruise. I would expect the cruise to be pro rated for the loss of days. I am watching this closely.what they are offering these people is laughable .

All that being said, we booked later to avoid bad weather. We will see.