Does Status count in the assignment of Guaranteed Staterooms?

omro1975

1 hour ago, omro1975 said:

I totally get what you're saying, but it was 8.5k for a guaranteed and 13k for pick your own. For that difference, I could book another cruise and still get balcony!

That’s a lot either way for that ship. How many people, how long and where is this cruise?

4 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

That’s a lot either way for that ship. How many people, how long and where is this cruise?

Two adults, one child. Starts Amsterdam, July 5, 13 nights (my bad, I keep saying 12), up the coast of Norway and back, crossing the Arctic Circle. Jewel of the Seas.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, omro1975 said:

Two adults, one child. Starts Amsterdam, July 5, 13 nights (my bad, I keep saying 12), up the coast of Norway and back, crossing the Arctic Circle. Jewel of the Seas.

Not sure where you got that $8000 price at, the web site I'm looking at has a Guarantee Balcony (XB) for 3 passengers for $6282

18 minutes ago, omro1975 said:

Ok that makes sense. We did a 14 night Arctic cruise on Voyager in September from Copenhagen to Boston and it was expensive too. But we didn’t pay nearly what this is costing you. And we originally had Brilliance booked on that cruise in 2020 which of course was cancelled and that was half what we paid. Cruises have gone through the roof! Hope you get an unobstructed room. It’s a beautiful cruise especially Prins Christian Sund. It’s an all day thing and although we were on the upper deck for some time, we also sat on our balcony on the way back down and it was amazing. Breathtaking views from our cabin!

5 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

It’s a beautiful cruise especially Prins Christian Sund. It’s an all day thing and although we were on the upper deck for some time, we also sat on our balcony on the way back down and it was amazing. Breathtaking views from our cabin!

Just exactly where is that? Was that part of the cruise when you were traveling from one port to the next? If so what exactly were the 2 ports where you cruised through this at?

Edited by Jimbo

6 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Just exactly where is that? Was that part of the cruise when you were traveling from one port to the next? If so what exactly were the 2 ports where you cruised through this at?

This was the itinerary.

COPENHAGEN, DENMARK

KRISTIANSAND, NORWAY

CRUISING CRUISING

AKUREYRI, ICELAND

REYKJAVIK, ICELAND REYKJAVIK, ICELAND

CRUISING

PRINS CHRISTIAN SUND(CRUISE)

QAQORTOQ, GREENLAND

NUUK, GREENLAND

CRUISING CRUISING CRUISING BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS

Nuuk was cancelled so we had another sea day. PCS was from 7am until 4pm

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

Ok that makes sense. We did a 14 night Arctic cruise on Voyager in September from Copenhagen to Boston and it was expensive too. But we didn’t pay nearly what this is costing you. And we originally had Brilliance booked on that cruise in 2020 which of course was cancelled and that was half what we paid. Cruises have gone through the roof! Hope you get an unobstructed room. It’s a beautiful cruise especially Prins Christian Sund. It’s an all day thing and although we were on the upper deck for some time, we also sat on our balcony on the way back down and it was amazing. Breathtaking views from our cabin!

This is the itinerary. 

Day 1 - Amsterdam, Netherlands
Day 2 - Cruising
Day 3 - Geiranger, Norway
Day 4 - Molde, Norway
Day 5 - Cruising
Day 6 - Honningsvag, Norway
Day 7 - Tromso, Norway
Day 8 - Arctic Circle (Cruising), Norway
Day 9 - Flam, Norway
Day 10 - Alesund, Norway
Day 11 - Olden, Norway
Day 12 - Bergen, Norway
Day 13 - Cruising
Day 14 - Amsterdam, Netherlands

Your cruise looks like it was amazing. Your cruise also looks like it was sort of a repositioning. I think I'm paying the price for mid summer and the hope for better weather.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

I wish... I've only done the short one -- Geiranger, Stavanger, Olden and Bergen.

My other half thinks that's enough to get the "gist", but I dream of the Artic Circle....

We'd originally considered just getting the essentials of Norway, but since this is my partner's 50th birthday, we decided to upgrade this to a bucket list level.

• Like 2

@omro1975for that itinerary I would have done the same thing. That’s a big savings on a rare and unique itinerary, and I would rather be up on deck to take in the panoramic views and scenery in that part of the world anyway. Even in the unlikely event you get an obstructed/obscured view balcony it will still be an amazing experience. I would love to do this (or similar) itinerary some day.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, omro1975 said:

This is the itinerary. 

Day 1 - Amsterdam, Netherlands
Day 2 - Cruising
Day 3 - Geiranger, Norway
Day 4 - Molde, Norway
Day 5 - Cruising
Day 6 - Honningsvag, Norway
Day 7 - Tromso, Norway
Day 8 - Arctic Circle (Cruising), Norway
Day 9 - Flam, Norway
Day 10 - Alesund, Norway
Day 11 - Olden, Norway
Day 12 - Bergen, Norway
Day 13 - Cruising
Day 14 - Amsterdam, Netherlands

Your cruise looks like it was amazing. Your cruise also looks like it was sort of a repositioning. I think I'm paying the price for mid summer and the hope for better weather.

That’s not what I thought you were doing. I’m not sure if that’s a good price or not.  Sorry I was confused. I thought you were doing a TA like we did. 

17 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

@omro1975for that itinerary I would have done the same thing. That’s a big savings on a rare and unique itinerary, and I would rather be up on deck to take in the panoramic views and scenery in that part of the world anyway. Even in the unlikely event you get an obstructed/obscured view balcony it will still be an amazing experience. I would love to do this (or similar) itinerary some day.

We'll likely spend a lot of time on deck, but since it was a bucket list cruise for a 50th birthday, we decided to splurge and go guaranteed balcony, rather than oceanview. I'm hopeful that we don't get an obstructed view, but at the same time, if we do, it won't be the end of the world. With the money we've saved, we can buy a whole new cruise. We're actually considering Alaska. Yes, we like glacial scenery.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

That’s not what I thought you were doing. I’m not sure if that’s a good price or not.  Sorry I was confused. I thought you were doing a TA like we did. 

No biggie, I still think your itinerary was an awesome one. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, omro1975 said:

Hi, 

We just booked a guaranteed state room on Jewel OTS for next year. It was a $4k difference between guaranteed and selection. By the time we board, the cruises we've taken this year will have tipped us just high enough to cross the Diamond threshold. 

I was wondering if your status with RCI had any bearing on how they assigned your rooms?

Thanks!

No, but past sending on cruises might.

14 hours ago, bigeck said:

This was the itinerary.

COPENHAGEN, DENMARK

KRISTIANSAND, NORWAY

CRUISING CRUISING

AKUREYRI, ICELAND

REYKJAVIK, ICELAND REYKJAVIK, ICELAND

CRUISING

PRINS CHRISTIAN SUND(CRUISE)

QAQORTOQ, GREENLAND

NUUK, GREENLAND

CRUISING CRUISING CRUISING BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS

Nuuk was cancelled so we had another sea day. PCS was from 7am until 4pm

It was an awesome cruise!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

For a northern cruise such as that, is it worth paying more for a balcony? Or just a room with a view? We rarely used balcony on Alaskan cruise. Even colder for this one?

30 minutes ago, FlatFooted Freda said:

For a northern cruise such as that, is it worth paying more for a balcony? Or just a room with a view? We rarely used balcony on Alaskan cruise. Even colder for this one?

We thought it was and it was chilly many days.  We were able to go out at night to look for northern lights without needing to go to an upper deck and especially cruising in Prins Christian Sund it made that even better because it was a beautiful day and we could just sit on our balcony.

• Like 1