Boarding time in San Jaun

We'll be boarding Voyager in two weeks in San Juan. We have cruise out of San Juan many times and in our experience, check-in usually starts around 11:00 with boarding starting around 11:15 - 11:30. I realize there are many variables that can affect these times. I'm wondering what people are experiencing recently. We have a 12:00 check-in time but we're wondering if they are starting to check in prior to that.

Hi. I'll be with you out there. Are you on our roll call? 

I waited way too long to check in and due to something I didn't know about, a wellness check, my boarding time is like 2. That really throws me off because I'm supposed to be out of my air bnb at 11. So, I guess I'll be checking my bag with the porters at 11:30, whether or not they let me in to the terminal. If they don't, you might see a guy sitting with his back against a pole, watching a movie on his tablet, hungry for lunch. 

1 hour ago, Worn out mailman said:

Hi. I'll be with you out there. Are you on our roll call? 

I waited way too long to check in and due to something I didn't know about, a wellness check, my boarding time is like 2. That really throws me off because I'm supposed to be out of my air bnb at 11. So, I guess I'll be checking my bag with the porters at 11:30, whether or not they let me in to the terminal. If they don't, you might see a guy sitting with his back against a pole, watching a movie on his tablet, hungry for lunch. 

The check in time and wellness check are the same thing. It's just the usual few questions about if you have had a fever, etc.  Hopefully you didn't swap out an earlier check in time and then get that later 'wellness' check.  They are the same thing.  And you'll answer those same questions on the app right before boarding, the show up shortly before departure date. 

Edited by rockmom

I'm boarding Voyager in three weeks! You can tell me how your cruise was on your way out / my way in. 

I did the online check-in when it opened, 45 days before the cruise. Check-in started at 12:01 AM and I was done by 12:03 AM. I had access to every possible arrival time and the earliest was 12:00 noon.

The ship doesn't sail until 8:30 PM, some people drop off their bags at the ship then head to Old San Juan for the afternoon, come back later to check in. 

There was a long line of pax already at the terminal when we got there, and were already boarding once we got inside.  We also had the earliest check in time at noon....but it was obvious hundreds had already checked in and were on the ship well before we were. 

Heads up...traffic coming into the port area is horrendous.  Really starts to clog up by 10 am, as we noticed from our hotel window, which looked out onto the port and the access road.  They are not enforcing check in times...which is making the early traffic coming in really bad.  

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, dsvd79 said:

we arrived around 11 and had 12pm check in.  We were on the ship by 11:21.  This was for the 2-5-23 sailing. They were checking your times at the pier.  We were the 2nd group in at the 12pm check in time.

Perfect! This fits with what we want to do. We are supposed to check out of our hotel at 11:00. We have cruised out of San Juan many times. We usually arrive at the pier around 11:00 and are on the ship by 11:30. We're hoping that we can do that this time also.

23 hours ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

We'll be boarding Voyager in two weeks in San Juan. We have cruise out of San Juan many times and in our experience, check-in usually starts around 11:00 with boarding starting around 11:15 - 11:30. I realize there are many variables that can affect these times. I'm wondering what people are experiencing recently. We have a 12:00 check-in time but we're wondering if they are starting to check in prior to that.

That is what they put on, we plan to leave the hotel at 10:15 to get to the port.  Last April we waited maybe 35-40 minutes and they started boarding. 

20 hours ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

Perfect! This fits with what we want to do. We are supposed to check out of our hotel at 11:00. We have cruised out of San Juan many times. We usually arrive at the pier around 11:00 and are on the ship by 11:30. We're hoping that we can do that this time also.

Sister arrived at just after 10:30 yesterday, dropped her bags, got in line.  Doors opened at 11 am, quick check in and walked right onto the ship at 11:10.  She had suite privileges, being able to arrive earlier. 

14 hours ago, Daycare Provider said:

We are doing a B2B in April.  This will be our 4th time sailing out of PR.  We typically take a taxi to the port, drop off our luggage then out to old San Juan for the day.  When we get back to port around 5:00 pm we basically walk right on...

Thanks for your input.

Heads up.  In December 2022 on the Voyager, we were not allowed to leave ship after check in (we asked when onboard).  I don't know if this has changed.  I also have dropped off bags and went off pre covid and was disappointed we couldn't go back out.  So hopefully this has or will change so ask onboard.  And please let us know!

7 hours ago, jean87510 said:

Heads up.  In December 2022 on the Voyager, we were not allowed to leave ship after check in (we asked when onboard).  I don't know if this has changed.  I also have dropped off bags and went off pre covid and was disappointed we couldn't go back out.  So hopefully this has or will change so ask onboard.  And please let us know!

This is what we are hoping to do in April.  Our 1st time in San Juan.  We have a 12:00 boarding time.  Thought we could drop off our luggage, check in, have lunch, do safety drill on app, then cab to El Morro for the afternoon.  

If anyone sailing soon could confirm whether allowed back off the ship once checked in, we would appreciate it!  If not, I guess we will either just drop off our luggage, then cab to El Morro or check in & stay on the ship.

1 minute ago, wnycruisefam said:

This is what we are hoping to do in April.  Our 1st time in San Juan.  We have a 12:00 boarding time.  Thought we could drop off our luggage, check in, have lunch, do safety drill on app, then cab to El Morro for the afternoon.  

If anyone sailing soon could confirm whether allowed back off the ship once checked in, we would appreciate it!  If not, I guess we will either just drop off our luggage, then cab to El Morro or check in & stay on the ship.

Truthfully, if you get there at 12pm and your last check in is say 5pm, I'd drop off all the bags, keep a backpack with the important stuff you need to board, get a cab to El Morro for a couple of hours, then go back to the port and check in.  It's what we said later we SHOULD have done!