Not to pile on, but it’s bad…

buckeye8810

1 hour ago, rmalbers said:

I just got off EQ and I agree with, basically, all the comments that people have made that have cruised since Jan 1.  I agree that the staffing issues are having the most impact.  The bars and MDR are definitely not staffed with as many people as before and that is very, very apparent.   One bright side is that the nightly entertainment in the theater seemed to me to be just as good as ever and it's the typical, 'there will be some acts that people like and some they won't' type of thing.  As has been shown and talked about many times the dinner buffet is cut back for sure.  The new MDR menus are also one of those things that some will like and some will hate.   Anyway, on staffing, it's really a question of are they trying to hire and can't or is covid taking out crew,  I'm fairly sure it's a little of both.   One of our servers disappeared after two days and a couple of others were wearing masks for a day or two then not wearing them.  Personally, my next cruise is on VO this summer and I'm not sure when I'll be booking a x cruise again, but it won't be until RCG gets out/mostly out of the financial mess they are in. 

If staff are new to the ship or coming from another ship, they are required to wear masks for a few days.  Not sure if that was the case here.

We disembarked Solstice a week ago and whilst I can't honestly say we didn't notice any differences, I also can't complain like the OP!

Sure, there are things disappearing from the menus (like Prime Rib, Wellington, etc.), but this only makes a difference to those making direct comparisons and in reality, is barely noticable on board as there are plenty of replacements.

The wait staff, and even Patrick, our Cruise Director, agree that the quality and offerings have slipped, but personally, I would rather have a comparity reduced cruise than none at all! We got great service and the food was (mostly) good. 

IMO, it's completely impossible to say that 'everything was bad' unless you make your mind up pre-cruise that nothing will be acceptable.

• Like 6

Someone earlier in this thread questioned what would be the alternative to cruising X which got me to thinking.  Maybe not a cruise at all.  I've booked a balcony on next year's Iceland/Greenland cruise for a truly eye-watering fare.  I was there a decade ago but it's enticing because it'd be so nice and cool compared to Florida in August.  Just did a little math and for that cruise fare (wifi and bev are comped), not even factoring-in the air to get there, I could get new patio furniture, a leather recliner, a refrigerator, and really crank up the A/C for the entire month.  I booked early because I want a very specific cabin, always cruise X, and it sounded blessedly cool (followed Jim_Iain's live thread last summer).  However, quantifying the value just now, with only $100 deposit penalty, I think I may have just made up my mind about that particular one.  This was a good thread for me for reasons other than OP's review.  

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

Someone earlier in this thread questioned what would be the alternative to cruising X which got me to thinking.  Maybe not a cruise at all.  I've booked a balcony on next year's Iceland/Greenland cruise for a truly eye-watering fare.  I was there a decade ago but it's enticing because it'd be so nice and cool compared to Florida in August.  Just did a little math and for that cruise fare (wifi and bev are comped), not even factoring-in the air to get there, I could get new patio furniture, a leather recliner, a refrigerator, and really crank up the A/C for the entire month.  I booked early because I want a very specific cabin, always cruise X, and it sounded blessedly cool (followed Jim_Iain's live thread last summer).  However, quantifying the value just now, with only $100 deposit penalty, I think I may have just made up my mind about that particular one.  This was a good thread for me for reasons other than OP's review.  

You make such good points and the list of things you could buy for the cruise fare is truly astounding.  I used to weigh what I could do with the money around the house vs. taking the trip.  But that came to an abrupt halt a while back after DH and I visited an estate sale for an elderly woman who had passed.  She survived her husband for a period of years and kept all his treasures...along with her own.  I gathered from the personal affects that the gentleman was an air force pilot who saw combat in some past conflict and then parlayed his flight knowledge into becoming a pilot for Delta.  She was obviously a school teacher at one time as her memories were displayed proudly in her guest bedroom.  DH and I didn't buy anything but I was truly struck by all the strangers walking through the home and picking through their things...It made me sad and I realized all our things will end up the same way someday.  Now I say, spend the money, make the memories, don't look back!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 3

14 hours ago, OysterD said:

Can I ask what exactly was worse 'in literally every way'?

You mentioned food and not enough staff but that was all. Ships being crowded isn't a bad thing, you can't expect them to sail half full forever more or else they'll go bankrupt. 

What was so terrible about the food and what was so terrible about service? And was there anything else or was your statement about everything being worse just hyperbole?

I'll ignore the covid comment because that's nothing to do with Celebrity and was just speculation on your behalf. In December half the people I know, including myself, had a cough, but none us had covid. We all just had a variety of colds, flus and chest infections. Such is life. 

Opinions are still welcomed

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

People cough for all kinds of reasons - it's not exclusive to COVID.

Colds. Bronchitis. Other chest/lung issues. Asthma. Allergies. Swallowing their spit wrong. Inhaling something that irritates their throat. Etc.

Is COVID still around? Yes. But is every single cough COVID-related? No.

Edited by yknot13
Wrong thread

30 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

You make such good points and the list of things you could buy for the cruise fare is truly astounding.  I used to weigh what I could do with the money around the house vs. taking the trip.  But that came to an abrupt halt a while back after DH and I visited an estate sale for an elderly woman who had passed.  She survived her husband for a period of years and kept all his treasures...along with her own.  I gathered from the personal affects that the gentleman was an air force pilot who saw combat in some past conflict and then parlayed his flight knowledge into becoming a pilot for Delta.  She was obviously a school teacher at one time as her memories were displayed proudly in her guest bedroom.  DH and I didn't buy anything but I was truly struck by all the strangers walking through the home and picking through their things...It made me sad and I realized all our things will end up the same way someday.  Now I say, spend the money, make the memories, don't look back!

I agree.  Already got rid of all the stuff; a flood in 2008 that lasted two weeks took care of that.  I was thinking of getting the house stuff which I actually need and just taking a drive-to Caribbean cruise instead.  So priced the cheapest basic balcony on Reflection in August 2024, prime hurricane season, meaning beastly hot and humid.  Ha, ha, ha, ha.....it's $405/night for 8 nights for me solo!!  $400+/night???  For a basic balcony in hurricane season???  In comparison, the Iceland Aug 2024 cruise in C2 was $520/night, which, if you say it real fast, makes it sound not so bad.  (This week's cruises in C1 solo in prime cruise season are $166/night.)   So if/when I cruise next year, I'll definitely be sticking with TAs.   And since the weather here is and has been so nice, think I'll spring for the new porch furniture as soon as I get back from my cruises.  I can sit out there and either listen to wave sounds through my earbuds or the birds without them, and meditate looking at the lake. (Come Aug 2024, guess I'll just stay inside with the A/C cranked up. 😉)

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

I agree.  Already got rid of all the stuff; a flood in 2008 that lasted two weeks took care of that.  I was thinking of getting the house stuff which I actually need and just taking a drive-to Caribbean cruise instead.  So priced the cheapest basic balcony on Reflection in August 2024, prime hurricane season, meaning beastly hot and humid.  Ha, ha, ha, ha.....it's $405/night for 8 nights for me solo!!  $400+/night???  For a basic balcony in hurricane season???  In comparison, the Iceland Aug 2024 cruise in C2 was $520/night, which, if you say it real fast, makes it sound not so bad.  (This week's cruises in C1 solo in prime cruise season are $166/night.)   So if/when I cruise next year, I'll definitely be sticking with TAs.   And since the weather here is and has been so nice, think I'll spring for the new porch furniture as soon as I get back from my cruises.  I can sit out there and either listen to wave sounds through my earbuds or the birds without them, and meditate looking at the lake. (Come Aug 2024, guess I'll just stay inside with the A/C cranked up. 😉)

I agree, making your home a pleasant place to be is not the same as buying "stuff." Right before the pandemic we completed our swimming pool and spa, and it has been a wonderful place for my husband and me, and all the kids and grandkids. You'll love sitting on your porch on your new porch furniture!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Torfamm said:

Not finding a table seemed all about understaffing when I was on the Solstice recently. It takes much longer to clear tables if there aren’t enough staff. 

Then you clear them yourself. Granted not ideal but we are not living in a perfect world 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, buckeye8810 said:

Since the start of the year, I know there’s been a lot of handwringing about the changes Celebrity has made. We just got back from a 10-night Eastern Caribbean…and I can confirm things are worse than before, in literally every way.

Ships are more crowded, and there’s clearly not enough staff to accommodate the increase in passengers. Food is significantly worse…and the wait staff was running around like their hair was on fire. Even in Murano, the food was disappointing. Not to mention several people in our group reported stomach issues on multiple days after dinner.
Unrelated, but it seemed like half the people on the ship were coughing and hacking, which probably means Covid was running rampant.

All in all, there’s no reason to pay premium prices for Celebrity anymore, because it’s no longer a premium brand. With the changes they’ve made, it’s not any different than NCL. Not saying I wouldn’t cruise with Celebrity again, but there’s no chance I would pay current prices. We felt ripped off, considering when we booked this cruise we were expecting the level of service from years past.

Do you work for another cruise line???? And you felt ripped off yet not ruling out sailing celebrity again 🤔if I get ripped off that’s me done with the ripper off.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

Then you clear them yourself. Granted not ideal but we are not living in a perfect world 

Busing my own table is not my expectation on an X cruise. That would definitely be another data point the the whole value/experience/quality calculation. We can clean our own bathrooms, too, if the steward doesn't show up. Fun times.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

You are spot on Georgia peaches! I go to estate sales regularly. The sadness I first felt taught me that all our stuff is temporary and fleeting. I also was in therapy healthcare working with Senior population for many years. Now we both are retired. And my dad a quad with polio for 25 yrs. These people all encouraged me to live your life well today. Travel when you are able. We do. And better yet we do cruises and land trips every year also with our adult children and grands. Yes costly. We are not high income. There may be little money left in the end for them…but all 11 of us say…these memories are our treasure and legacy! Gosh I am sappy and blessed! ❤️

• Like 7

1 minute ago, cruisin from florida said:

Busing my own table is not my expectation on an X cruise. That would definitely be another data point the the whole value/experience/quality calculation. We can clean our own bathrooms, too, if the steward doesn't show up. Fun times.

Not the same at all, and you know it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, buckeye8810 said:

As in I cannot think of one area where the cruise was better than or equal to years past.

The food was plain bad. Not sure another way to describe it. Less selection, and worse quality. Smaller portions. Cheaper offerings as well.

As a Yorkshireman, I can say this is a wonderfully Yorkshire complaint - the food was terrible, and such small portions. (i.e. if it is bad, surely it's good that there's less of it)

• Haha 12

37 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

I was going to say the same thing. 

Maybe it's a personality thing, but if it comes down to me standing there with a plate of food from the buffet moaning that there is nowhere to sit because a bunch of tables still have empty plates on them versus taking 10 seconds to move said plates to another table, I'd be moving those plates, sitting down and eating! Moving a plate is not beneath me. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

If everything is so bad as some seem to say here on the Celebrity board- why are people still cruising and paying high prices?  The ships are going out near capacity.  Somebody must like something.  I have respect for those that have cruised and offered their opinion (either good or bad).  But there are a lot of people here who have not cruised on Celebrity (yet) in 2023 who seem to have made up their minds in advance that the cruise will be awful based upon other's opinions feeding off each other.  Just cruise and see for yourself.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

We are just off the same Silhouette cruise. There was definitely a staff shortage on the ship. We were told they were 150 down . We were in Aqua class and as we had quite a bit of OBC we had booked a five night speciality dining package ( pre the huge price increase) . Service in Blu wasn’t great. Having waited 20 minutes just to get in, it was obvious they just weren’t coping as there were plenty of empty tables. Most times we sat with the menu for 15/ 20 minutes with no waiter and nothing to drink. The two sommeliers would be topping up wine for those already served and just not noticing others without a drink. Food in Blu was mostly good but choices were limited. The fillet mignon on the first night was outstanding. The veal chop was so tough my husband couldn’t cut it and it was sent back. I tried to order the duck breast one night but the waiter said I shouldn’t as it was too greasy. We spoke with several others at nearby tables and the comments on service

were all very similar. 
Murano was lovely as usual but service at our first visit wasn’t good. Our waiter didn’t seem very experienced and our food was twice delivered to the wrong table. Two later visits were much better with a different waiter. Only one sommelier and she was run off her feet. 
Tuscan was the worst. After finishing the antipasti board our waiter asked if we were ready for starters then totally disappeared from the restaurant for 20 minutes . We complained to the Maitre D but he just wasn’t interested. The restaurant was barely a third full. 
Lawn Club was great. A waiter who knew his job and great food. 

We are Elite plus with Celebrity and have always booked onboard for our next cruise but not this time. 
Maybe things will improve if we all give Celebrity honest feedback and refuse to accept substandard food and service whilst paying ever higher prices. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, OysterD said:

Maybe it's a personality thing, but if it comes down to me standing there with a plate of food from the buffet moaning that there is nowhere to sit because a bunch of tables still have empty plates on them versus taking 10 seconds to move said plates to another table, I'd be moving those plates, sitting down and eating! Moving a plate is not beneath me. 

Agreed.

I've moved plates in years past. No big deal. 😎

Not sure why I bother wasting my breath but we've been on two cruises in the last 8 months (Alaska in June, Mexican Riviera in December/January) and THE SKY IS NOT FALLING, FOLKS!

Yup - lower staff levels. Just like in every danged restaurant, store and hotel in the world! It's a problem everywhere - not just on cruise ships. We've stayed in a couple of resort hotels in the last six or eight months, too and have not had daily service. None. Grab your own towels at the front desk so if this is people's biggest beef then they might want to stay home. 

Did our stateroom attendants seem busier? Not dramatically. They have ALWAYS been super busy and completely run off their feet. 

Was service still good? Yes. Different from five or ten years ago? Sure. We still miss the old Casual Dining set-up in Oceanview as a break from the MDR. 

Were the ships clean? Yes! Were the crew pleasant? Yes! Did we have trouble getting a drink? NO. Or a meal. NO, 

I'd say that entertainment has taken a dive. There are definitely fewer options.

And I'll edit to add that people have been getting sick after eating on cruise ships forever. If Norovirus is on ships again then that just tells you people have already forgotten to wash their hands. Clearly 24 months of endless "wash your hands" government ads and signs on bathroom mirrors didn't sink in. 

Edited by mrgabriel
  • Like 10
  • Haha 1

Just now, bEwAbG said:

Dear Celebrity Executives:  you could apparently add busing and dishwashing as a paid activity and some people would jump at the opportunity!

😂😂😂 and incessantly complaining too.  The queue would be huge. And people would complain at that too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, OysterD said:

Definitely it is not "beneath me" to remove plates of previous diners, however, I don't have sanitizer to clean the table, a towel to wipe the table or 2 extra hands to hold my plate of food while I do so. I also don't want to handle another passenger's dirty plates and cutlery and then eat without cleaning my hands, and then my food would be cold and or removed while I was doing it.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 12

28 minutes ago, mrgabriel said:

Not sure why I bother wasting my breath but we've been on two cruises in the last 8 months (Alaska in June, Mexican Riviera in December/January) and THE SKY IS NOT FALLING, FOLKS!

Yup - lower staff levels. Just like in every danged restaurant, store and hotel in the world! It's a problem everywhere - not just on cruise ships. We've stayed in a couple of resort hotels in the last six or eight months, too and have not had daily service. None. Grab your own towels at the front desk so if this is people's biggest beef then they might want to stay home. 

Did our stateroom attendants seem busier? Not dramatically. They have ALWAYS been super busy and completely run off their feet. 

Was service still good? Yes. Different from five or ten years ago? Sure. We still miss the old Casual Dining set-up in Oceanview as a break from the MDR. 

Were the ships clean? Yes! Were the crew pleasant? Yes! Did we have trouble getting a drink? NO. Or a meal. NO, 

I'd say that entertainment has taken a dive. There are definitely fewer options.

And I'll edit to add that people have been getting sick after eating on cruise ships forever. If Norovirus is on ships again then that just tells you people have already forgotten to wash their hands. Clearly 24 months of endless "wash your hands" government ads and signs on bathroom mirrors didn't sink in. 

.???

Not sure why you think everyone believes the "Sky Is Falling! "

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

Definitely it is not "beneath me" to remove plates of previous diners, however, I don't have sanitizer to clean the table, a towel to wipe the table or 2 extra hands to hold my plate of food while I do so. I also don't want to handle another passenger's dirty plates and cutlery and then eat without cleaning my hands, and then my food would be cold and or removed while I was doing it.

Exactly this

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3